Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Getting a good range out of your EV driving

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

Shifting to L gives you almost max regen and you just take the corner in L and shift back to D and keep moving. 

Nice post.  

There probably is other information on the site on this, however, I am wondering if L equally effective at regenerating energy as braking?

I use L 95%+ of the time and sometimes combine the hill assist to slow a bit.   Hardly every use brakes.  

My range has been great lately.

But I would add another tip with sarcasm.  Don't drive when its cold.  Drive when it is 90 F and you'll go 30 miles.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

L is pretty close to max regen, you might be able to get a tiny bit more by padding the brake ever so slightly, but too much you dig into the friction pads and cause more loss than good to heat (using the brake pads).

One thing about L vs brake is that the rear lights don't come on which causes 2 thoughts:

1) L does not warn people behind you you're slowing down, so be careful with this.

2) Using the brake pedal lights up and brake lights and also eats into your range by increasing the draw on the battery.  You can see this in the energy meter.  Its a small amount, but it could mean the difference of a mile range if you use the whole battery.

So with that said, 

1) use L at night when there is no-one around to even see the brake lights when you need the absolute most range.

2) if you have to use L with traffic, pad the brake pads lightly to light up the brake light.  Just enough until you see the regen circle around the battery indicating the brake lights are on.

3) While you can, don't use L all the time "just because".  It has its purpose, but don't substitute it for the brake otherwise you'll cause alot of wear and tear on the shifter not sure if it will be an issue or not but many times if not necessary I just relax and drive the car normally instead of shifting all the time -- like for the little trips around town where I have plenty of battery to spare.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·