Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Radio Will NOT Turn Off (anyone else?)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:57 AM

Strange thing started yesterday.  The radio stays on permanently.   The car was off for hours during the day - the radio stayed on.  Charging overnight - the radio stayed on.   At work now - car is in the lot with the radio on.

Also while driving I cannot turn it off, adjust the volume, nor change the channel.  Anyone one else with this issue?  

Software flash?  Hardware?

Hope it is not a disconnect the battery fix only to have it happen again.

I am at 25K miles.   Love the car despite the software and early adopter (1st model year) hardware issues.

72.1 lifetime mpgE.   130 mpgE the last 4k miles.  It has been very efficient for my regular driving patterns.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

I would pull the fuse for the infotainment system and then re-insert it.  I.e. hardware reboot.

#3 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

Strange thing started yesterday.  The radio stays on permanently.   The car was off for hours during the day - the radio stayed on.  Charging overnight - the radio stayed on.   At work now - car is in the lot with the radio on.

Also while driving I cannot turn it off, adjust the volume, nor change the channel.  Anyone one else with this issue?  

I am at 25K miles.   Love the car despite the software and early adopter (1st model year) hardware issues.

72.1 lifetime mpgE.   130 mpgE the last 4k miles.  It has been very efficient for my regular driving patterns.

I saw this yesterday (I think) on the C-Max Hybrid forum. The owner pulled the fuse for the radio and then it started working.

#4 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the response.

Anyone else heard of this?

So pulling the fuse will give the radio a reset and exorcise the ghost in the machine?  

I expect it will recur.

Hopefully someone has pinpointed the issue?  

Not too keen to take her to the dealer for a warranty covered remedy, but there may be few recall notices to address.  

Pulling a fuse is cake, but I don't want this to be a symptom of a larger software issue off-warranty which is less than a year and about 10k miles away.

Edited by altabrig, 01 April 2015 - 09:25 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the response.

Anyone else heard of this?

So pulling the fuse will give the radio a reset and exorcise the ghost in the machine?  

I expect it will recur.

Hopefully someone has pinpointed the issue?  

Not too keen to take her to the dealer for a warranty covered remedy, but there may be few recall notices to address.  

Pulling a fuse is cake, but I don't want this to be a symptom of a larger software issue off-warranty which is less than a year and about 10k miles away.

Here is the topic I found:

http://fordcmaxhybri...l-not-shut-off/

#6 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the link. 

So the master reboot in settings did nothing but erase the navigation system way-points and re-set the audio controls.  Still couldn't adjust the radio in anyway (volume, channel, audio settings) or turn off the radio.  It continued to play at lower volume (out of the center dash speaker) with the car off and doors locked after exiting the vehicle.

Removing the 15 Amp fuse 3 slots up in the 3rd column from the left did the trick.  I had entered one way-point as a test and the fuse removal and re-install did not effect the saved favorite nor did it erase my radio pre-sets.    Made me wish I had not first tried the master system re-boot.  At least the radio pre-sets weren't erased.  My guess is  the re-set did not work completely due to whatever software glitch is affecting the infotainment system.

Hope it is not going to recur.    If anyone else has this issue please post it.    Can't imagine what is occurring to cause the radio to 1)freeze completely and 2) continue to play at softer volume through one speaker despite the display (and all other accessories) shutting down and the other speakers not receiving power nor signal.   Weird.  Anybody care to hypothesize? 

Edited by altabrig, 01 April 2015 - 02:23 PM.

• edweird likes this

#7 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

It looks like the master reset buggered my MFM vehicle account as well.   MFM is no longer syncing and messages that I no longer have a vehicle on my account despite showing my activity.   

Don't do the reset.   I can't imagine that my MFM account VIN info would have been erased by pulling the 15 amp fuse.   

Oh boy.

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

I had a similar issue, the MFT screen started having issues working. Some things you touched worked, others did not. There was no rhyme or reason for it, but its like the screen was confused where you touched it. I thought I needed to recalibrate it in the hidden menu but that wasn't it. Eventually I pulled the terminal off the 12v battery and rebooted the whole car. It forgot the coach scores and the range dropped to 20 miles but I believe the radio remembered the presets. The good news is the the MFT screen worked normally since then.

This car is like a PC, sometimes a reboot does wonders.

-=^Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

To answer your last question pulling the 12v battery cable is like pulling every fuse, that did not affect mfm so the master reason was probably your cause, good to know.

-=^Raja.

#10 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

Glad to hear the reboot helped.

I never did the battery just the fuse.  

I verified through MFM.  The master reset does disconnect your cars info from MFM and you have to go back and type in the VIN.  Lost some trip information too.   MFM is inaccurate.   It show a recent 6.8 mile trip as 0 mpg and 0% EV when it was 100% EV.

I bet this info is all over this site about the MFM disconnect and related. So there it is again FWIW. 

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

Yeah just re-enter the vin number and hopefully all will be OK.  I learned from you, stay way from master reset... battery reset OK from my own past experience, was alot easier for me than fishing for small fuses under the dash, my hardest part is reading the numbers to figure out which is which.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 01 April 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

When you have 12V system issue's, I would check the 12V battery. If it's low the system

can become logic locked from low voltage issue's. The processors/modules have communication

problems and will lose the ability for proper operation. I bet if you could read the DTC data stored

in the system you would find a lot of Uxxxx DTC's stored. It's module communication faults.

Low voltage will cause havoc with these cars because they  communicate over a CAN BUSS.

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

You won't have any issues with the battery unless the 12v battery drops below 10.5v.  At that point and below the system will freak out and the parking lights will start flashing, etc and the car will be inoperable.  If the 12v battery is higher than 10.5v but is low, you will get a text message asking you to plug in the car.  If you plug in the car, the 12v battery will start charging.

If the voltage is higher than the text message threshold, then everything will function normally.  If you power up the car, even with a less than full 12v battery, the HVB will begin charging the 12v battery and its voltage will rise to 13.xx to 14.xx volt and the 12v battery is out of the picture.

-=>Raja.

#14 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

Yes and if the battery is low and you power up the car it can voltage drop/spike a module between

the drop stage and the charge stage. The radio is one of those susceptible  to this type of fault because

it will power up as soon as the key is on.

12V battery load requirements are instantaneous and can only be captured on a LAB scope.

A DVOM isn't fast enough to capture it unless you run a min/max setup.

I don't trust this type of work to DVOM's. I always use a LAB scope because I have them

So don't be so quick to rule out the common and simple things.

This is how people get into trouble when they don't understand the complexity of the simple stuff :hysterical:

#15 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

This is how people get into trouble when they don't understand the complexity of the simple stuff :hysterical:

Yeah I be one of those not understanding the the simple system codes and acronyms posted (nor the manic emoticon used).

To my knowledge, I have not had issues with the 12v charge level, but it is possible that your analysis of a "logic lock" due to low voltage is spot on.

What could be another cause of the "ghosting" radio through one speaker after shut off?  I am hoping to avoid a repeat and possibly let FORD know (if they don't already) about the irritating issue.  I can't imagine it is a significant power drain over a few hours caused by the issue.

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:22 AM

I respectfully disagree with the statement about a low 12v battery causing this issue, but that's my own experienced opinion.  Not everything you read here is correct, so you have to judge and choose what is right and what is not.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 02 April 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

I respectfully disagree with the statement about a low 12v battery causing this issue, but that's my own experienced opinion.  Not everything you read here is correct, so you have to judge and choose what is right and what is not.

-=>Raja.

Yeah, but your personal experience is very limited and my everyday experience gives

me a much broader knowledge and fault data base on these common issue's.

I agree with your statement:::::::: Most everything you read here isn't correct...And that

applies to your posts a lot. I see why Gary gets pissed off at you.  If you have such a narrow

knowledge about this stuff, please don't comment on my posts with your negativity BS...... Thanks!

Edited by drdiesel1, 03 April 2015 - 08:06 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hi altabrig,

Has the radio concern resolved itself, or been repaired since your last post? 

Meagan

#19 OFFLINE   Jim Stewart

Jim Stewart

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

I've got a 2013 C-Max Sel Hybrid, AM/FM/CD wouldn't work. The screen worked for nav, but nothing else. I pulled fuses #67 and #79 and put them back in and everything is back to normal. That was 3hours ago. I'll let everyone know after a 3 1/2 hour trip tomorrow.

#20 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 423 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:49 AM

Your title threw me off until I opened this thread.  My wife's radio had an issue once where the volume was not adjustable.  It also did not turn off with the ignition a couple of times, but I assumed that was due to me turning on the radio while the ignition was OFF.  It was early in our ownership, and we almost took the car to the dealer to resolve the issue/had made an appointment, when all of a sudden the volume was again adjustable and we cancelled the appointment.  I can't remember what fixed the issue....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·