Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

18" Tsw Nurburgrings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   edgeskeez

edgeskeez

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Infiniti FX35

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:15 AM

18 x 8" Tsw Nurburgrings Matte Gunmetal

- Rotary Forged 18.6 lbs per wheel

Tires: 225/45/18 Yokohama YK580

- Performance tire with LRR rating

- 25.6 Lbs per tire.

Attached Files

• dr61, edweird, SyNRG and 1 other like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 299 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

Enjoy!

#3 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

Those wheels have a nice look. I am however way to cheap for this type of change. How does the ride feel?

#4 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Those wheels have a nice look. I am however way to cheap for this type of change. How does the ride feel?

The wheels do look nice, but the changes in tire and rim size might do more harm than good. There is a reason why Ford has used the same machined aluminum wheels and tires for three straight years. Not only the rims and tires cost more, your EV range, MPG and MPGe could suffer.

Gary

#5 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

They look good, but as Gary has said.  You're MPG and EV range will suffer.

What's the overall diameter change between the 2 sets of tire/wheel combinations ?

If the overall diameter has changed so will your speedometer. It's not worth spending

that kind of money unless it's to shed unsprung weight. IIRC, every added lb(s) at the wheel

equals 30 lbs. on the chassis. Spending money on wheels needs to be an advantage, not a

disadvantage :victory: I like the looks, but it's not for me.  Enjoy :wink:

PS: That roof rack is killing your MPG too :hysterical: Did you drop the ride height too ?

Edited by drdiesel1, 19 March 2015 - 03:56 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   edgeskeez

edgeskeez

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Infiniti FX35

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

The steering feel is different. It feels a little heavier maybe because its a wider wheel. I feel the Yokohamas are just as quiet as the OEMs. The Yokohamas handle better. The ride comfort felt a little more comfortable with the stock michellins but that may be because of the .5mm sidewall difference. Or not. But overall, I am happy with it.

The wheels do look nice, but the changes in tire and rim size might do more harm than good. There is a reason why Ford has used the same machined aluminum wheels and tires for three straight years. Not only the rims and tires cost more, your EV range, MPG and MPGe could suffer.

Gary

Yes you are right. Before I took the plunge, I knew I risked taking a hit on mpg. But I also felt it wouldn't be significant enough to dissuade me from making my decision. I guess my priorities are just different from everyone else. I took a 4 mile hit on my EV the other day but that was because I had a really heavy foot to get on time to class. I'll post again in the future when I drive under normal conditions. Also, my usual trip from Los Angeles to Santa Clarita yesterday resulted in 34.9 mpg wiht an avg speed of 73 mph. That's with the roof rack on as well. I used to average about 38mpg without the roof rack and with the stock wheels. 

And regarding the cost, I got the setup from Americas Tire. Priced at $220 per wheel and $120 per tire. The guy was very kind to give me a huge discount.

Note: Running 38 Psi on my yokohamas.

They look good, but as Gary has said.  You're MPG and EV range will suffer.

What's the overall diameter change between the 2 sets of tire/wheel combinations ?

If the overall diameter has changed so will your speedometer. It's not worth spending

that kind of money unless it's to shed unsprung weight. IIRC, every added lb(s) at the wheel

equals 30 lbs. on the chassis. Spending money on wheels needs to be an advantage, not a

disadvantage :victory: I like the looks, but it's not for me.  Enjoy :wink:

PS: That roof rack is killing your MPG too :hysterical: Did you drop the ride height too ?

The overall diameter increased by .11mm. If I am going 65 mph, then im actually approximately going 65.29 mph. We made sure to get as close as possible to the stock overall diamater. 

You have a point about upgrading wheels to shed unsprung weight. I would have achieved by staying with a 17" wheel. But I wanted to upsize because I thought it would look better. I believe I am about the same weight as stocks. Someone posted that our stock wheels at 38 psi weighed at 44.2 lbs. Though I haven't officially weighed my wheels at 38 psi, I am hoping to be close to that just by using the posted weight of 18.6lbs for the wheel and 25.6 for the tire for a total of 44.2 lbs.

This is at stock height. I didn't lower it at all. The rears sat a little lower because I had my stock wheels in the trunk and on the backseats.

• dr61 and drdiesel1 like this

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

The overall diameter increased by .11mm. If I am going 65 mph, then im actually approximately going 65.29 mph. We made sure to get as close as possible to the stock overall diamater. 

Maybe next time you want bigger diameter.  The Cmax speedometer is 2 mph too slow, I often see radar speeds of around 2mph slower than my indicated speed.  So shooting for 65mph = 67mph with the new tires might be the ticket to match your speedometer to the actual speed of the car.

I used to average about 38mpg without the roof rack and with the stock wheels. 

FWIW, I averaged close to that going down to AL from MA this week at around 73mph as you say.  At around 65mph, I can get into the mid 40's depending on the terrain.

-=>Raja.

#8 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:09 AM

Maybe next time you want bigger diameter.  The Cmax speedometer is 2 mph too slow, I often see radar speeds of around 2mph slower than my indicated speed.  So shooting for 65mph = 67mph with the new tires might be the ticket to match your speedometer to the actual speed of the car.

-=>Raja.

Mine is spot on :happy feet: Larger tires would only make it slower :drop:

Edited by drdiesel1, 20 March 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

You lucked out diesel, I think there are more than a couple of people who have mentioned the speedometer to be slow.  I checked mine and noticed it after someone else brought that to my attention here.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·