Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Cracked windshield, not a single mile driven!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Malibu Maxx

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

Finally got the registration and plates today for our brand new 2014 (we bought out of state and the dealer delivered it to our door on dealer plates). It had been parked way off the street on our lawn for a few days. I mount the plates, we hop in for our first drive around the block, my wife notices a foot-long, "L" shaped crack on the passenger side.

Curses, stomping of ground, we call the cops because we suspect vandalism. There was nothing that cold have dropped on it, no trees or anything overhead, and we've had several episodes of vandalism because our house is an easy target.

Very nice cop, takes our info but does notice that there doesn't seem to be any evidence of impact, i.e. nothing's chipped on the outside. Says he once cracked a windshield on one of his own cars because he placed hot coffee right under it on a frigid morning. Hmm. We didn't do anything of that sort but it does make me wonder if it could be a stress crack. Some Google searches and I find a couple of threads over at the C-MAX Hybrid forum where people have had similar issues.

So, I send some pictures to our dealer, late in the day, not expecting much but figuring it's worth a shot. Less than half an hour later our sales guy calls back and says, I feel terrible that this happened, these things can be hard to claim under warranty but you know what, we'll arrange for Safelite to fix it at our own expense. Wow!

So hopefully tomorrow we can schedule the repair (and make sure they know this car has a rain sensor!). We also called our police dept and apologized for rushing to conclusions.

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

I can see where the impact was in picture #2  Did you inspect the car before signing for it @ your house

when they delivered it ?????? If not, you own it.

#3 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

No, there is no impact. I know the spot you mean but there is nothing there that you can feel, it's just the shape of the crack.

Yes, the windshield was fine when delivered, and just yesterday when I put the wipers in service mode and flipped them up.

#4 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

No, there is no impact. I know the spot you mean but there is nothing there that you can feel, it's just the shape of the crack.

Yes, the windshield was fine when delivered, and just yesterday when I put the wipers in service mode and flipped them up.

Well, your ins. should cover it. Make sure you install a factory OE windshield or you might have other problems

with glass deformities. I would also recommend to have a skilled glass person install it. I've seen some hack jobs

and most involved damaged trim on the inside and outside of the vehicle. The dealer will just sublet the job

so don't have them do it. You need a glass professional. I would buy the glass through Ford if it's OE glass

with the Ford stamp on it. Otherwise you'll probably lose money if someone knows the glass has been replaced

with an aftermarket brand. Watch the glass that's made in Mexico. It's inferior and could have optical flaws.

PPG would be my choice.

Edited by drdiesel1, 16 March 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:30 AM

Well I think the dealer said there are no third party windshields with the rain sensor but I will make sure. It's just that my options are limited. This _should_ be a warranty claim but it's hard to prove, even though I literally haven't driven the car except to turn it around on my side lawn. So getting it replaced at the dealer's expense is my best option. Remember, the dealer is 100 miles and two states away, just to make this more interesting.

And, news flash: While I was typing, Safelite called with our dealer's sales associate on the other line. They will perform the work on Friday, and assured me that it'll be a Ford OEM windshield. Phew.

#6 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

Finally got the registration and plates today for our brand new 2014 (we bought out of state and the dealer delivered it to our door on dealer plates). It had been parked way off the street on our lawn for a few days. I mount the plates, we hop in for our first drive around the block, my wife notices a foot-long, "L" shaped crack on the passenger side.

Curses, stomping of ground, we call the cops because we suspect vandalism. There was nothing that cold have dropped on it, no trees or anything overhead, and we've had several episodes of vandalism because our house is an easy target.

Very nice cop, takes our info but does notice that there doesn't seem to be any evidence of impact, i.e. nothing's chipped on the outside. Says he once cracked a windshield on one of his own cars because he placed hot coffee right under it on a frigid morning. Hmm. We didn't do anything of that sort but it does make me wonder if it could be a stress crack. Some Google searches and I find a couple of threads over at the C-MAX Hybrid forum where people have had similar issues.

So, I send some pictures to our dealer, late in the day, not expecting much but figuring it's worth a shot. Less than half an hour later our sales guy calls back and says, I feel terrible that this happened, these things can be hard to claim under warranty but you know what, we'll arrange for Safelite to fix it at our own expense. Wow!

So hopefully tomorrow we can schedule the repair (and make sure they know this car has a rain sensor!). We also called our police dept and apologized for rushing to conclusions.

The Edumnds forums have one called "Exploding Sunroofs". It can be caused by incorrect installation, or a rock coming down. There is a suspicious wide area part way down on photo #2. However, I'm glad the dealer is stepping up!

Edited by stevedebi, 17 March 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

See post #3 above. There is no impact. The car was only driven 122 miles so far and was perfect when it arrived. There was no object of any kind near the car that could have done this, unless you want to speculate about a chunk of ice from a passing plane.

Or you cold just believe a fellow forum member.

Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

See post #3 above. There is no impact. The car was only driven 122 miles so far and was perfect when it arrived. There was no object of any kind near the car that could have done this, unless you want to speculate about a chunk of ice from a passing plane.

Thanks.

The car was presumably transported, which means it could very well have had an impact. See picture on OP. Rocks can indeed come down on the roof, it is a matter of gravity and the angle at which they were thrown from the tires of a vehicle in front of the car.

I'm not believing or disbelieving anyone. Something caused the crack. It could be a manufacturing flaw, and installation flaw, or rock damage. I think the picture is demonstrating that the crack is present - kind of hard to disbelieve.

#9 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:41 AM

Are you even aware that I started this thread myself? Unbelievable.

#10 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

Are you even aware that I started this thread myself? Unbelievable.

Nope, didn't know it, but my response is the same. What makes you think we don't believe you?

Pretty funny, actually, because I went back to the OP to check the info, and didn't realize it was you. The post to which I was replying was written in third person, so I responded that way.

Edited by stevedebi, 18 March 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

I'm just glad none of you guys work for my Ford dealership, or the local police, for that matter. They agreed immediately that this was not caused by impact, but two guys a continent away know better from a photo.

How much more personal can a post be than using "I" and "we"? That's called first person, by the way.

#12 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

I'm just glad none of you guys work for my Ford dealership, or the local police, for that matter. They agreed immediately that this was not caused by impact, but two guys a continent away know better from a photo.

How much more personal can a post be than using "I" and "we"? That's called first person, by the way.

Grammar never was my strong suite, but this is the quote I was replying to; there is no "I"or "we", and hence I failed to realize it was by the OP:

"See post #3 above. There is no impact. The car was only driven 122 miles so far and was perfect when it arrived. There was no object of any kind near the car that could have done this, unless you want to speculate about a chunk of ice from a passing plane.

Thanks."

I never said I didn't believe you, just that other things were possible. I was sharing my learning from other forums that were specifically on a similar issue. I had not realized that stress fractures were possible in sunroofs either until I read those posts.

If I were the dealer I also would have replaced the glass, without hesitation. I'm not sure why you think differently. It doesn't matter how it happened, it is on a new car and customer satisfaction is paramount to me in my business transactions.

#13 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:02 PM

Ah OK, I see the misunderstanding now. Sorry. It sounded different to me.

This whole episode is really hitting a nerve on our end, we just had to replace the rear window on our old car because some lowlife smashed it with a beer bottle. Which was the third such incident in about 5 years, after a door mirror, and a side window on another car. 

#14 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

Maybe better photography skills could have helped :hysterical:

#15 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

This whole episode is really hitting a nerve on our end, we just had to replace the rear window on our old car because some lowlife smashed it with a beer bottle. Which was the third such incident in about 5 years, after a door mirror, and a side window on another car. 

Sorry to hear of that one. We had the rear window on a prior car (CRV) get broken, and I think the rear window on our Civic as well. Kids being delinquent, I suppose. It is frustrating that folks don't appreciate other people's property.

No problem on my end, I probably didn't phrase my posts well enough. But all is well, you will get the new pano. BTW, are you planning on tinting the windows? The pano is one area I am considering the tint, although only a few shops will do it.

#16 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:16 AM

WOW Ruff neighborhood, Sorry to hear about that. Good Luck for the Future. :smile2: 

Paul

#17 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

Not a rough neighborhood at all, just kids being delinquent as stevedebi said. Our best guess, and the cops', that is. It's a quiet suburb and well lit at night, but our house is from the horse-and-carriage era, built really close to the road. Nowhere to park the cars at a safe distance, so they're easy targets.

stevedebi, it's the windshield. I don't have the panoramic roof, and frankly don't see the point of it, either, except for putting solar panels up there. Same for window tinting. 

#18 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Not a rough neighborhood at all, just kids being delinquent as stevedebi said. Our best guess, and the cops', that is. It's a quiet suburb and well lit at night, but our house is from the horse-and-carriage era, built really close to the road. Nowhere to park the cars at a safe distance, so they're easy targets.

stevedebi, it's the windshield. I don't have the panoramic roof, and frankly don't see the point of it, either, except for putting solar panels up there. Same for window tinting. 

Ha! I missed that, which I should have noticed by the seat showing through the window.

I would not have ordered the Pano roof either. They had two Ice Storm Energis on the lot when I bought. Both had Pano roofs, so I ended up with one of them. I would not have ordered it. Having said that, it is really nice when open - the entire car gets a huge open feel. The kids like it and the wife likes it. So I guess I like it. There is some tint up there already, but (as I said) I'm considering a coating that cuts down on the heat.

#19 OFFLINE   evolVE

evolVE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

OK, got it fixed today and all is well. I actually decided to change my appointment to in-shop at Safelite, the weather forecast was a little iffy for the mobile service.

All done very cleanly and it's genuine Ford glass, but at the last moment the kid messed up my seat by taking the seat protector off before driving the car outside for me. Big sticky oil stains from his butt. He was lucky it's leather. He was able to clean it off with some kind of citrus based degreaser wipes. He was extremely lucky this happened after I handed him a $10 tip!

#20 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

That's interesting, I'm having mine replaced Tuesday. :wink:  I had a windshield replaced in a different car and was amazed how much clearer things were after the change. :smile2:  

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·