Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Empower Screen Linear or Non-Linear?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Was wondering--does anyone know if the Empower screen is non-linear? In other words, does the first bar signify less power than the next, and so on? Or are they all equal fifths of the 68 kW electric motor output?(Same question for Engage and Enlighten screens too.)

I ask because I recall reading somewhere that an ICE car traveling on a level highway at, say, 55 mph is typically only using something like 10% of its maximum power. Here's a link with a chart on this topic, towards the bottom of the page:

http://phors.locost7.info/phors06.htm

It seems like when I accelerate or cruise with 2 bars that I'm using less than 2/5 of the available power, and so on, but it's hard to tell. Anyone know the setup of these gauges?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

I believe they are linear.  I remember reading somewhere where each bar = so many kwh, and if my memory serves me right, I think it was 12kw per bar approximately.

-=>Raja.

#3 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

Ok and yes if linear, about 12kW per bar would make sense. Thanks Raja!

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

No problem any time!  I drive my Cmax with a max power input of 2 bars unless in CC then it may reach 2 1/4 bars on steeper hills.  If not in CC I just let it lose some speed up the hill and gain it back on the downhill section.  I find that to be more efficient than using more bars up the hill to hold the speed.

Also acceleration coach will remain full blue if you don't go over 2 bars.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 04 February 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

Raja, this technique of slowing on uphills and so on that you mention seems to have tremendous range benefits.

There are so many resources here. And I've studied Larry's superb and detailed thread on efficient EV Mode driving techniques over on the Fusion Energi forum. Just brilliant analysis.

My commute to work is 9 miles each way in SE Pennsylvania. It's punctuated by countless poorly timed traffic lights, stop signs (which I obey) and short steep hills. Even in my Prius I was getting only 35-40 mpg due to the unforgiving nature of the route.

With the C Max Energi it's so much better, especially after absorbing the knowledge all you guys and gals have so generously shared here. I haven't quite made it to work and back yet with no gas being used at all; there's one mile-long hill on the way home where, if I use the ICE just for that section, I can do all the rest each way on EV. But I believe that with experience and warmer temperatures, I'll be able to swing it on EV the whole way. Including that bloody hill.

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

If its 9 miles each way then you should be able to get there on EV all the way and back.  That 1 mile uphill is also a 1 mile downhill the other way is which a free mile + some recharge.  Use hill decent and don't gain any speed on the downhill to get more range out of the battery.

Slow down, if you're going over 40-45 mph slow down like to the high 30's to 40 tops.  You'll get there for sure.  And in case I didn't mention, if you want to make it, you may have to skip the cabin heat.  I don't use it at all even in the dead of winter.  Just dress warmly and drive like I'm walking outside, no worries.

By the way, starting the engine for a short little blurb like that 1 mile hill is not efficient at all, because its cold.  If you were on a 100 mile trip and the engine was already hot, then definitely start it for every uphill and use the battery for every flat or downhill at slower speeds.  Using the battery to climb a steep hill is a waste unless you can make it without using the engine.  You have to decide which is best but at 9 miles each way I'd adjust my driving to make it there and back EV only.  Save the engine for long trips.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 05 February 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

Yes Raja I don't use heat either haha we are tough. Except for a few mornings when it's been in the teens or oughts. Then I broke down & used the ICE for heat (always love the chance to say that) for a longer time period.

I don't have any speed limits over 40 so yes I keep it slow. Excellent point about the ICE being cold & inefficient up the one hill. I was considering the amount of energy it takes to move a 4,000lb car up an elevation of 300 feet or so. I figured, why not get just that altitude from the gasoline's stored energy. But yes, Raja, I simply must try harder to manage what I've got stored in the battery.

I can theoretically charge at work on 110V, but it's not straightforward. My office is in a large commercial/ residential building with a basement garage. There are a very few outlets there, but the staff have to shuffle cars about all day & it would be an imposition on them to ask them to charge me every day. But the owners' association president has a C Max Energi that he charges at night in a back corner, & my young associate is on the list for a Tesla of all things, so I see some lobbying for a pair of proper 220V charging stations in our future.

That's what we all should be doing, right? Lobbying for more places to charge.

Edited by P=E/t, 05 February 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

Oh, and speaking of the ICE in its inefficient warmup stage and--recognizing that I'm straying a bit off my original topic of linearity and non-linearity of the Empower screen--

I've seen some folks here say that they have configured one of their screens to show the coolant temperature. Would anyone be able to post a quick template for how to do that? It seems like a useful bit of data to track.

Meant to follow social convention and properly sign off,

Rick

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

Tonight its 15 degrees out, just drove to cumberland 10.7 miles to get chains for my ranger from a guy on craigslist. Then I drove from his house 2.5 miles to a cheap gas station $1.98 to get gas for my ranger at this low price before it goes up (already went up near my house by 12 cents). From there I drove to Chili's 5.3 miles and I'm here now charging and having dinner. I got here with 4 miles or 15% left in the HVB.

So in this cold temperature I made a trip in 3 legs equal to your commute with 15% left over. Even with that big hill you should be able to make it sans engine. The beauty of this car is learning how to drive it and planning your route so you can have an EV only experience/trip when you want to.

Any more questions please let me know, I feel this has been my most enjoyable car to drive to date!

-=^Raja.

#10 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

When I use the engine I configure the custom myview screen for engine rpm and temperature. Temperature is only important to let you know when its "safe" to turn on the heat without draining the HVB. If you are on a long trip then you should wait until the coolant is half way at operating temperature before putting the climate control on. If not then the HVB assists the engine to warm up the coolant...oh no don't do that...I can wait a few minutes for sure!

-=^Raja.

#11 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:39 AM

Raja, When in EV later I don't think the HVB is used for the heater even when the engine is not warmed up. I will have to check that at my next opportunity. This winter I have been less interested in maximizing miles in EV than being comfortable especially when the grandkids are on board. 

Usually a mile or two of ICE driving is all I need to warm the engine up enough to start throwing off some heat to the cabin. I wait until the temperature display has at least come up a little bit on the display.  That at least make the grandkids happy. 

When I decide to switch from EV later to Auto I don't immediately turn off the heat. I switch to the battery display screen and have noted that I can leave the heater on a while longer before any power is pulled from the HVB. Also the heater Temperature can be turned down a bit to go longer before the the HVB kicks in. As soon as I see a draw from the HVB I cut the heater to better utilize the available power.

#12 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Oh, and speaking of the ICE in its inefficient warmup stage and--recognizing that I'm straying a bit off my original topic of linearity and non-linearity of the Empower screen--

I've seen some folks here say that they have configured one of their screens to show the coolant temperature. Would anyone be able to post a quick template for how to do that? It seems like a useful bit of data to track.

Meant to follow social convention and properly sign off,

Rick

The exact instructions are to go to the MyView screen which is one "up" from the normal EV Now screen. Select the right arrow and it will offer you the chance to customize the screen. The coolant temp can only be placed on the right hand side of the MyView screen. Once done, press the OK button to lock it in.

For highway driving, I often select the RPM on the left and the temp on the right. Unless the ICE is running I don't the the temp guage is that useful. I don't really need the RPM, but it is sort of fun to watch on the hills.

#13 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:41 AM

The exact instructions are to go to the MyView screen which is one "up" from the normal EV Now screen. Select the right arrow and it will offer you the chance to customize the screen. In the customization screen, you will be on the left side; scroll up and down to select a gauge. Then select the right arrow to modify the right screen, and again use the up and down arrows to select a gauge. The coolant temp can only be placed on the right hand side of the MyView screen. Once done, press the OK button to lock it in.

For highway driving, I often select the RPM on the left and the temp on the right. Unless the ICE is running I don't the the temp guage is that useful. I don't really need the RPM, but it is sort of fun to watch on the hills.

#14 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

The exact instructions are to go to the MyView screen which is one "up" from the normal EV Now screen. Select the right arrow and it will offer you the chance to customize the screen. In the customization screen, you will be on the left side; scroll up and down to select a gauge. Then select the right arrow to modify the right screen, and again use the up and down arrows to select a gauge. The coolant temp can only be placed on the right hand side of the MyView screen. Once done, press the OK button to lock it in.

Thanks so much, Steve, it worked perfectly.

It's excellent to have the ability to configure the MyView screen to show the data that's relevant to our current driving situation.

I did get to top off my charge in the garage at work today; should be a fun ride home. I'll strive to have as much left in the battery as I can manage.

#15 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Rick:

Check your leaf screen where it shows the % of the HVB charge level.  Drive to work and see what's left.  Remember that if it was at 100% its really not as accurate as you get 1 to 2 miles before it drops to 99%.  So 100 down to 60% is more than 40% if that makes sense.  If you do it again starting from 95%, you'll find it will go down below 55% on that same trip given everything else is equal.

Then on the way home also check the % and see what you need.  You'll learn that hey I need 55% to get home from work for example.  So if I charge my car there I can leave when I have at least this much and more is better.  I use this learning factor to know what I need from several points away from my house to get there or get back from there.  

It will make you a smarter, better driver.

When you're driving EV, you can reconfigure if you want but not necessary the myview to show the empower screen on the left and the driving coach on the right.  You want 3 full blue bars there all there time.  If you mess up with acceleration, braking or speed you will see it ding you right away.

Tom, try it, the battery does assist the engine from my findings if the coolant is not at full hot yet.  You also live in a warmer climate, so that is going to have an effect on how far you can drive engine-less with heat on before the HVB starts to kick in to keep the coolant warm.  The colder it is, the shorter this time.  Try it here at 10F now, it won't be more than 2 miles tops I'm betting.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 06 February 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:26 AM

Raja, tthis is the kind of detailed, specific advice that is so useful. Thank you.

Yes I definitely watch that battery %! And I've noticed how it "hangs" on 100% for a time. My phone & many other devices do this too. Must be a function of the measurement hardware & software for lithium ion batteries.

Rick

Edited by P=E/t, 07 February 2015 - 06:27 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

By the way--swinging my turrets away from discussions of gauges again--any of you chaps heard of carbon nanotube supercapacitors? They very well might change the whole game. The former Dean of Drexel Engineering clued me in to them a few years ago. Here's two links--

http://cleantechnica...supercapacitor/

http://web.mit.edu/e...acapacitor.html

Worth a read! Fascinating little beasties.

Rick

Edited by P=E/t, 07 February 2015 - 06:39 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

Raja, tthis is the kind of detailed, specific advice that is so useful. Thank you.

Yes I definitely watch that battery %! And I've noticed how it "hangs" on 100% for a time. My phone & many other devices do this too. Must be a function of the measurement hardware & software for lithium ion batteries.

Rick

I had observed that the SOC presented on the center screen does stay at 100% for varying lengths of time. I recent started monitoring the SOC using a Scan Gauge 11 and noticed that the center display will show 100% for any SOC reading above about 96% on the Scan Gauge. The Scan gauge normally shows 98% when charging ends. On Days that I have preconditioned the car the Center screen shows 100% when I start out but it drops quickly. The scan gauge shows SOC at 96% so the battery is not quite full when starting the drive after preconditioning the car. So for those of us that are obsessed with the HVB the Scan Gauge or similar device is a useful tool for better monitoring the actual SOC. 

#19 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

By the way--swinging my turrets away from discussions of gauges again--any of you chaps heard of carbon nanotube supercapacitors? They very well might change the whole game. The former Dean of Drexel Engineering clued me in to them a few years ago. Here's two links--

Rick

There is a lot of innovative technology that never get beyond the lab. It take a lot of effort to make it commercially viable and then you have to find a car maker who will take the plunge. These are big hurtles but only time will tell. 

#20 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

Rick

Rick,

Which former dean was tha?

Jack Templeton

Drexel BSME 1967

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·