Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

TPMS Event

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

So I had a bit of a TPMS event this weekend.  I see it as good and bad.  First the good....I was driving down the Tunrpike here in FL at about 74mph.  All of the sudden I get the TPMS warning message on the dash.  I thought, Oh crap.  Car was driving fine and no noise from the tires.  I figured it was just a low tire, but still pulled into the slow lane(I was in the process of passing someone).  Once I get to the slow lane and start to pull off onto the shoulder I could here the tire noise.  It was a real flat.  Darn it...I get out and see the left rear is totally flat, but in tact(no blow out, but lots of scuffing on the sidewall).  I didn't really try to inspect it much, really don't want to spend too much side on the side of the road looking at the tire.  So I pull out the fix a flat/compressor thing, and proceed to try it out.  Get all the goop in, but no pressure is building at all...the hole is too big.  So I get picked up and take the kids to soccer.  I get the car towed on flatbed to a tire place that night.

In the AM, they pull the tire.  And now the bad.....the tire was toast.  The TPMS did not alert me early enough, and the tire was too damaged to patch.  Luckily, my tire store had one in stock, and $200 later I am good to go.

So the good is thet the TPMS did alert me before I could hear or feel any issue, thus prevented the flat tire from turning into a much worse safety issue, and the bad is that it did not alert me early enough to save the tire.  I can live with that.

It does make me think of buying a spare for when I travel out of town, especially in areas without good cell coverage.  I would have been in a bad place if I was driving across the state with no cell coverage, no spare, and only some worthless fix a flat stuff.  Makes me want to buy a new car with an actual spare, even if it is only a donut one.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

If the hole in the tire was that big, no warning light will save it. The tire was damaged beyond repair and the TPMS

saved you from a possible accident. How to you figure the TPMS system could save a tire if the holes to big to fix

with an earlier warning ??? It's a low tire pressure warning system, not a magic tire saver :hysterical:

In your case, the system worked perfectly and you were smart enough to respond to the light and did exactly

what you should have. Most people keep driving and ignore stuff like this. Good for you and I'm glad it worked out.

One tip that I would offer to everyone. If the tire deflates that fast, it's probably not a repairable puncture.

Always try to air the tire up before adding the tire sealant. That way you won't waste it. If it starts to take

and reasonably hold some air, the sealant should work. It's not designed to repair the tire.

It's designed to seal small holes from damage by nails and screw type punctures. The tire needs to hold enopugh

air to drive the car to get the sealant to spread around the tire after airing it up to get into the damaged area.

This is why a rope plug kit is better and the sensor won't be damaged from the sealant. I would buy a plug

kit until you get an actual spare, if that's your plan. I use the tire plug kit myself and haven't changed a flat

in about 20 years.  Knock on wood :victory:

Edited by drdiesel1, 13 January 2015 - 08:28 AM.

• dr61 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

Your recommendations are very helpful.  I never thought about keeping a plug kit in the car, I will now.  Also trying to inflate before using the goop is a good idea as well.  Might also be a good idea to keep a little bit of dish soap in a spray bottle to help find a leak on the side of the road.  

#4 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Dave:

The leak should be pretty easy to find, all I do is keep rolling the car forward inches at a time and inspect the tire tread for an object imbedded in there.  At that point you should be next to a gas station or home with an air pump as you need air in the tire to fix it, and the process of fixing it loses alot of the air in it.  It would be best to drive somewhere near an air pump so you don't have to pull out the tire mobility kit before you start the repairs.

Food for thought.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 13 January 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

23 is too close to 28.  You need to go up higher to clear the low tire pressure flag.  If you only want to run 28 inflate the tires to 35, turn the car back on and watch the tpms warning go away and then leak the tires back down to 28.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·