Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How best to use L (low) gear...suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

I'd say I forget to shift back to D from a stop about 5% of the time also Tom. When I try to shift to N for the coast, that's when I catch myself and shift to D and then to N. Driving in L under 50mph (around town) will decrease your MPG by an average of 5.1mpg.

"Important: Many of us drive in low gear ("L") thinking we are in the same state as drive ("D"). During my tests, I accidentally left the shifter in "L" and came up with astounding results. It appears that "L" at below 50 mph, there is still regenerative braking occurring while in cruise control. This must also be the case while not in cruise control. The result I was getting was a 5.1 MPG  reduction at 30 mph while in the "L" position over the "D" position. At 40 mph, I was getting a 4.1 mph reduction in "L" over the "D" position. To sum it up, I will no longer be using the "L" position in the steady state cruising mode. In addition, I believe that using "L" in EV  mode may reduce fuel efficiency. This is sort of like saying the "L" position causes an accelerate or brake (regen) "L" mode, instead of an accelerate and (light regen)"D" coast mode. Based on these test, I recommend using "L" for going EV  and charging the battery only. Driving only in "L" will reduce your FE"

http://www.cleanmpg....hread.php?t=350

Gary

Thanks, I won't feel quite so bad when I forget to shift back to D next time. I had a suspicion that driving in L was not as efficient. I have been monitoring regeneration lately with the AMP xgauge. The negative amps for regeneration is much more informative than just seeing the up arrow above the battery display. L is quite aggressive. I like to use L when it is safe to do so while gliding to a stop since It is very efficient at slowing me down. When I use the brake for slowing to a stop while in D it is amazing how I often can't quite get to 100% on my brake score. I figure I press a little too hard when I first start braking. 

Tom

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   P=E/t

P=E/t

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks, I won't feel quite so bad when I forget to shift back to D next time. I had a suspicion that driving in L was not as efficient. I have been monitoring regeneration lately with the AMP xgauge. The negative amps for regeneration is much more informative than just seeing the up arrow above the battery display. L is quite aggressive. I like to use L when it is safe to do so while gliding to a stop since It is very efficient at slowing me down. When I use the brake for slowing to a stop while in D it is amazing how I often can't quite get to 100% on my brake score. I figure I press a little too hard when I first start braking. 

Tom

This is a curious thing, Tom--

If L provides "maximum regeneration," then, logically, applying even a minimal amount of brake pressure would result in a less-than-100% brake score. However, when we brake lightly in L, we can get 100%. Has to be very light pressure indeed, but there's a little leeway there, presumably before the brake pads touch.

After a great deal of experimentation, I use L mainly in one circumstance: When I know I have to stop in a defined distance and it's too close or too much downgrade to coast. Stop sign, traffic light, stopped cars. Especially when the obstacle is at the bottom of a grade.

The trick (and the fun) is to engage L at just the right time so that one eases to a stop right at the obstacle.

If L is engaged too early, one has to re-apply power. If L is engaged too late, heavy braking on top of L will waste energy through the brake pads.

Other posters, especially Larry over on the Fusion Energi forum, have demonstrated that coasting to a stop is always best; the losses between accelerating and braking are significant. But if we have to stop, we have to stop, and then it makes sense to hit L, if we can time it right.

And if there's anyone behind me, I step ever so lightly on the brakes. Might as well fire up those red lights in back; there are an awful lot of idiots out there with way too much kinetic energy in their distracted incompetent hands.

• dr61 and chryssa like this

#43 OFFLINE   chryssa

chryssa

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-Max Energi, 2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

And if there's anyone behind me, I step ever so lightly on the brakes. Might as well fire up those red lights in back; there are an awful lot of idiots out there with way too much kinetic energy in their distracted incompetent hands.

Yup, that's what I do too:  Use a bit of brake light as a courtesy, L as 'brake assist', and then cycle through Auto, EV and back to EV Later to store the regen.   

#44 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

Yup, that's what I do too:  Use a bit of brake light as a courtesy, L as 'brake assist', and then cycle through Auto, EV and back to EV Later to store the regen.   

Your post could be a bit confusing to new Energi owner. Cycling through Auto, EV, and EV Later is useful only in highway conditions, when you have had to slow down suddenly and thus have excess energy to store.

For in town, I only use L for sudden braking, and FWIW I can achieve 100% energy recovery with or without L.

#45 OFFLINE   chryssa

chryssa

• 105 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:32 PM

Your post could be a bit confusing to new Energi owner. Cycling through Auto, EV, and EV Later is useful only in highway conditions, when you have had to slow down suddenly and thus have excess energy to store.

It was not my intention to confuse anyone.  Here is a link to Raja's video of his cycling technique, scroll to message #24:

http://fordcmaxenerg...uto-mode/page-2

As Raja demonstrates, cycling is NOT limited to sudden deceleration in highway conditions.  Cycling is a useful tool, right up there with L and terrain surfing. Employing these techniques allows me to store enough regenerated power to make the daily bank run in regen EV. Which makes me laugh all the way to the bank.

#46 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:15 AM

It was not my intention to confuse anyone.  Here is a link to Raja's video of his cycling technique, scroll to message #24:

http://fordcmaxenerg...uto-mode/page-2

As Raja demonstrates, cycling is NOT limited to sudden deceleration in highway conditions.  Cycling is a useful tool, right up there with L and terrain surfing. Employing these techniques allows me to store enough regenerated power to make the daily bank run in regen EV. Which makes me laugh all the way to the bank.

I realize it was not meant to confuse, and I have read Raja's post previously. But if you think about what you said, you mentioned going to auto and then to EV  and then to EV Later, that means you were in EV Later to start. EV Later is generally used on the highway.

If you are in town, the you are presumably already in EV, and there is nothing to put into the battery by any cycling - and you would not go to EV Later.

#47 OFFLINE   chryssa

chryssa

• 105 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

Yes, you are correct that most of my driving is in EV Later. Even in town.  

And yes, if you are already in EV there are very few cycling opportunities - only L and descent come to mind.

#48 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

Yes, you are correct that most of my driving is in EV Later. Even in town.  

And yes, if you are already in EV there are very few cycling opportunities - only L and descent come to mind.

Interesting, I've not heard of anyone who uses EV Later in town. How have you found this to be more efficient than EV Now?

I have occasionally seen some folks advocate it to run the ICE so as to generate heat, but I've not seen anyone actually do it.

#49 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

Good question, why would you drive in EV later in town?  Just to save the battery for the trip to the bank?

-=>Raja.

#50 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

Tesla and BMW both use very aggressive regen, and I'm sure their engineers know what they're doing. But they also have the brake lights come on via a deceleration sensor. I've driven an i3 and got used to it in no time, but not having brake lights in the C-MAX, I won't be using L much.

There was a link in the Tesla forum regarding having brake lights coming on during deceleration, turns out there is an international standard for this. I'm assuming the C-Max doesn't decelerate fast enough in "L" to trigger the requirement.

regen_brake_lights.png

• chryssa and tr7driver like this

#51 OFFLINE   eppyphotog

eppyphotog

• 54 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix AZ
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max 303A

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

I drove a Tesla Model 3 for the past weekend all over AZ. Regen feels about 10x stronger than “L” on the CMax Energi. Has anyone been able to get higher regen through “tweaking” our software? Hackers anyone?

#52 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:50 PM

Eppy, regen is limited on the Cmax so as to not blast the battery with such a high current.  Remember that the Cmax battery is 1/10th the size of the Tesla battery so it can't absorb such a high rate of charge that you can with bigger batteries.

-=>Raja.

#53 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:50 AM

Also, since we only pull about 3kW from a pedestal charger that can supply twice that, I suspect that's the limit on regen as well; it's the max that the charging components can handle.  The motor can generate much more, but it's the rest of the parts that aren't up to it.

#54 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:37 AM

HVB regen is limited to 35kw or about 100 amps (by the software).  The batteries are 25ah each so that's about 4c max.  

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·