Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

108 mile round trip daily commute

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bks3172

bks3172

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOrlando, FL
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

Love my new tuxedo black C Max Energi. Any mpg is going to crush the 24.9 I got with my Buick Lacrosse but....

Blasted legal team at my company whined their way to a rejection of my charging the Coggin Tuxedo (2013 SEL) due to a potential "tripping hazard" that in my opinion is non-existent.  The charging cord will be all of 2 feet showing on a sidewalk that is not near any entrance and at the back of the cul-de sac.  No one even walks by there let alone could not miss my car sitting there charging.  That being said, my 108 mile round trip commute will now only have 20 of the miles compensated with EV. 

I'm hoping that someone can assist me in the best possible plan of the 20 miles in EV as well as hint me towards a good plan of regen, EV auto, EV so that I can recoup some of the energy that I cannot get during a recharge at work.

Here are the crazy legs of my 54 mile one way -----> (Central Florida all flat Land, virtually zero stop and go traffic)

Miles Percent Speed
2 4% up to 45
3 6% 55
2 4% 35
8 15% 55
4 7% up to 45
13 24% 55
6 11% 70
16 30% 70+

54 100%

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Region:Sub-Saharan Africa
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Energi x 2

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

Virtually zero stop and go traffic?  I was just in Orlando last week and had tons of it on I-4, wish I'd known a good way around it!

I had the same 'NO' from my company, but found a free Chargepoint charger a mile down the road, so sometimes I walk and often a co-worker meets me in the morning and then drops me back off a couple hours later.  Maybe there's a charging point somewhere near your work location?

http://www.plugshare.com/

https://na.chargepoint.com/home

#3 OFFLINE   bks3172

bks3172

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:36 PM

I don't have to deal with the I4 nightmare. I'm mainly on back roads with trees all around and 55 speed limit. Then I hit the Interstate and I'm done. The traffic is heading towards me in both directions so it is a sweet commute. I just can't figure out how to navigate and distribute my 21EV miles for maximum efficiency especially with the inability to plug in at work. I have the charge point card but the the only places within 1 mile are Nissan and BMW. N said the cost is $3 and BMW frowned at the fact that I had a Ford. No reason to pay when the whole purpose of buying the car was to save on gas

#4 OFFLINE   engnrng

engnrng

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 143 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Locationventura
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:303A

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

Blasted legal team at my company whined their way to a rejection of my charging the Coggin Tuxedo (2013 SEL) due to a potential "tripping hazard" that in my opinion is non-existent.  The charging cord will be all of 2 feet showing on a sidewalk that is not near any entrance and at the back of the cul-de sac.  No one even walks by there let alone could not miss my car sitting there charging. 

Suggest you try again - suggest using an A-Sign (plastic yellow or orange, stores flat, opens into the letter A) that says "DANGER" or "TRIP HAZARD".  If no one walks by there, it should not hinder pedestrian traffic.  Set up the sign over the cord on the ground whenever the cord is plugged in.  Do you have a safety office at the facility?  Another idea is to contact the corporate liability insurance carrier, try to find someone sympathetic to the value of electric cars.  If you can get them to support such a sign, you might be home free.

#5 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:38 AM

I would use EV Now on the 35 and 45 mph segments, switching to EV Later about a mile from entering the high speed segments so the ICE can start and warm up.  Just don't leave any EV miles on the table!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 02 December 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Binky

Binky

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCT
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Volt Premier

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

I don't have to deal with the I4 nightmare. I'm mainly on back roads with trees all around and 55 speed limit. Then I hit the Interstate and I'm done. The traffic is heading towards me in both directions so it is a sweet commute. I just can't figure out how to navigate and distribute my 21EV miles for maximum efficiency especially with the inability to plug in at work. I have the charge point card but the the only places within 1 mile are Nissan and BMW. N said the cost is $3 and BMW frowned at the fact that I had a Ford. No reason to pay when the whole purpose of buying the car was to save on gas

I drive anywhere from 1-6 miles to charge during lunch daily.  The further range chargers I only bother with in the summer time as I won't have the range once the temp goes below 65.   I usually use the time to get some sorely needed exercise in if I bag a lunch or visit one of the local restaurants. For the 40 minutes or so that I charge I get enough to typically make it back home with out using gas.  Like Arizona said, switch to gas before you know you'll need high speed to maximize your mileage.  I know hills aren't an issue in Orlando, but steep hills are another place I use gas when I know range is going to be an issue.  There's 102 charging stations in the Orlando area according to Plugshare.. something has to be relatively close.

Another thing you can do is start to adjust your shopping/afterwork schedule around various stores/gyms/restaurants that may have chargers with in walking distance.  I've been doing my grocery shopping on the way home lately instead of near my house to avoid the extra few miles, but also due to a charging station being across the street from the market.   Happy hours, I typically suggest upscale restaurants near charging stations, and my colleagues never seem to mind.

Edited by Binky, 02 December 2014 - 09:48 AM.

• dr61 and bks3172 like this

#7 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

You can get one of those cable cover things for the sidewalk for $20-30.  Maybe the legal team will let you put one down over your cord each time.  I saw them at Amazon for that price.

• jeff_h likes this

#8 OFFLINE   bks3172

bks3172

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

I drive anywhere from 1-6 miles to charge during lunch daily.  The further range chargers I only bother with in the summer time as I won't have the range once the temp goes below 65.   I usually use the time to get some sorely needed exercise in if I bag a lunch or visit one of the local restaurants. For the 40 minutes or so that I charge I get enough to typically make it back home with out using gas.  Like Arizona said, switch to gas before you know you'll need high speed to maximize your mileage.  I know hills aren't an issue in Orlando, but steep hills are another place I use gas when I know range is going to be an issue.  There's 102 charging stations in the Orlando area according to Plugshare.. something has to be relatively close.

Another thing you can do is start to adjust your shopping/afterwork schedule around various stores/gyms/restaurants that may have chargers with in walking distance.  I've been doing my grocery shopping on the way home lately instead of near my house to avoid the extra few miles, but also due to a charging station being across the street from the market.   Happy hours, I typically suggest upscale restaurants near charging stations, and my colleagues never seem to mind.

These are wonderful ideas thanks. Wouldn't a 6 mile drive defeat the purpose since you would burn a lot of EV miles on that leg?

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,265 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

Use EV at the lower speeds but never let it run out of battery/ev miles.

Switch to EV LATER at 45ish mph or nearing the end of battery miles whichever comes first.  

Switch back to EV AUTO or EV NOW anytime you need to slow way down from high speeds.  You'll bank EV miles back into the battery from the massive regen.  And then switch back to EV LATER upon acceleration above 20ish mph back to high speeds.

Make it a game to see how many EV miles your arrive with at work and how to close to zero you make it back home.

Edited by fotomoto, 02 December 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Binky

Binky

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

These are wonderful ideas thanks. Wouldn't a 6 mile drive defeat the purpose since you would burn a lot of EV miles on that leg?

Not with an hour on the L2 charger.  When it's warm out you get a lot more range.  May not be as much of a problem in Orlando, but up here at 35 degrees in the AM I typically show 24-25 EV miles range.  In the summer I'm in the mid 30's.  I need 12 miles EV to make it to work (a 16.1 mile trip) and about 20 to make it home (mileage depends on the path I take, but they're all going up in elevation no matter how I go).  On an L2 charge it seems to put a mile of charge on the car every 4 minutes or so, so with an hour charge and a 6 mile drive each way I typically end up with 3 miles range more than I had when I left.  In the meantime I had a great lunch, met some people (invariably), got to charge my car for free.   That said, now that it's colder out I don't have the range to start with, and the car burns through EV Miles quicker/regens less than it does in the summer, so I tend to stick to the chargers near by my office now. 

Fotomoto's method does work as well.  If you have to use gas, that's one way to maximize it.

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:40 AM

Let me think, on an L2 charger I get 5% battery added every 6 minutes if the car is off not in accessory mode.  So about 50% charge in 1 hour.  50% could be 15 miles if you are ranging 30, or 12 if your'e ranging 24.  6 miles there, 6 miles back 50% charge is gone unless you're ranging 30 on that drive to keep 3 miles extra, or maybe you charge a few minutes over an hour to help.  That's what I would expect from mine, yours may vary.

Last night I went to home depot/walmart at night about 34 degrees with rain.  So cold, windshield wipers on and headlights.  6.2 miles there 1.5kwh burned, 6.3 miles home 1.4kwh burned.  There is a trip between HD and Walmart about 1 mile didn't register too short, and my battery now shows 9 miles left and less than 1/2 left.

-=>Raja.

#12 OFFLINE   bks3172

bks3172

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

LOL, 34 with rain (sorry I had to get that one in.  I lived in Salem, MA, Lawrence, MA, Salem, NH for 10 years and I don't miss it). 

I went for it at lunch and this is what happened.

3.4 EV miles to get to the L2 charger, .9 miles regen

46 minutes charging, pumped me up to 22 EV miles and 86% battery

3.4 EV miles back to work, .9 miles regen

19 EV miles showing with a maximum range per MFM app of 28 miles (I've never seen it higher than 24)

So basically it looks like I "gained" 3 EV miles during this trip to the charger.  Not sure if I helped myself. 

#13 OFFLINE   bks3172

bks3172

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

Can you explain to me EXACTLY what your driving habits are from park to the road to finish?  Here in FL the people love the gas peddle and to drive fast.  I am over anyone stuck behind me that has to go around because I want full benefit of my plug in hybrid, mile for mile.  GO AROUND BUDDY you're going to cost me money.

What I hope to figure out is how hard should I apply the gas peddle, when and how do I most efficiently pulse and glide, coast, apply grade assist (although we have no real 'hills' there are areas where I have a slight downgrade), and how fast should I get the car up to on 45 mph - 55mph roads which are very common.

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

To answer your questions:

a) try to accelerate at 1.5 up to 2 bars max as seen in the empower screen (use AUTO setting to see the battery power limits).

b) try to go slower than faster if you're trying to get there on EV power.  45 is better than 50 which is better than 55.  Maybe go as fast as you can and still make it home EV only.  I tried several trips when I was in Montreal back in June and for a 28 mile trip about 48mph was ideal to get me there with a mile or 2 to spare.  At 51mph I got there but not without digging into the hybrid battery 1/2 way and feathering the gas in to make it to my destination.

You don't have much hills so grade assist will not home into play but if there was one use it to hold the speed constant down the hill (and regen harder) instead of running away which ends up in more friction and drag anyways.

Pulse and glide is a bit of a pain for little gain.  Up to you I don't bother with it as the scenario entails you going a yo yo speed around your target speed and shifting like 100 times per trip.

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   Binky

Binky

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

I do use hill assist when I need to slow down suddenly as well Raja.   Every little bit helps.

BKS, can you explain the 3 miles EV gained??  Are you talking about the "extra" capacity?    The battery gauge is basically an estimate based on climate and past useage.   The better you drive the more miles you'll get out of said battery.  When it's cold, battery capacity suffers, and with it your EV miles available to you.   I typically get more miles in the after noon charges than I do with my over night charge.

I'd love to see 22 miles range after 40 some odd minutes on the charger here at work.  Especially if I was empty.  I'm presently plugged in and half way there showing 26 miles available at 4:42 PM.  And that's with it 40 degrees out.

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

I do use hill assist when I need to slow down suddenly as well Raja.   Every little bit helps.

I would use L not hill assist as that doesn't do a heck of a lot if the road is level, hill assist only increases with intensity the steeper the road goes and tails off the shallower it gets.  Won't do anything for you to stop quickly, L is the thing to use for that.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 04 December 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Binky

Binky

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:42 AM

I use it in conjunction with L.  I find it does keep speed from going back up as much.  Pretty much all my traveling is on an incline of some sort however. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·