Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Remote Start Confusion

cllimate control

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:44 PM

I did a remote start this afternoon to heat the car for an all EV trip into town (car was plugged in). I went out a little early, that is before the warm-up had finished, to find the ICE running. The car was just sitting there idling, burning gas. I really never know what to expect when using most of the electronic controls in this car. I thought that when the car is plugged in and one performs a remote start that the car should warm up using electricity from the charging station. This is the first time the ICE has come on (that I know about at least). Usually car will heat, but sometimes it will remote start without turning on the climate control. Most of the time I go out to the car, get in and turn it on (with no foot on brake), set the climate control, and then turn it off. Then I perform a remote start while standing outside the car. This works consistently but sort of defeats the purpose of a remote start. I don't get it.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

If you remote start the car, the engine can turn on if the outside temp is cold enough and its difficult for the battery only to get and keep the antifreeze warm enough to warm up the car.

If you do go times then that's a guaranteed no engine run and if there isn't enough power from the outlet then the car just doesn't get as warm as you requested.

If you start without your foot on the brake, the heat won't work and neither will the AC.  Remote start it works because it doesn't expect a driver inside the car.

You can skip through all this by just leaving your jacket on and driving with gloves, no heat.  If you're OK walking outside with a jacket then technically speaking you should be OK inside the car too, but some people can't handle it.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 21 November 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 428 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:02 AM

I think that having a 110V vs 220 for charging makes a difference.  For me I like a warm car, and I don't really like gloves, I can usually make it roundtrip to and from work on EV even with the heat on.

I also will fog up the cars windows so I need to have the heat on, or stop breathing!

#4 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

Last winter I actually tried using a propane golf cart heater in the car. It got warmish but fogged up the windows. I wish somebody made a portable, rechargeable electric heater.

I do usually put on gloves and a jacket; it's my teenaged daughter who wants--demands--heat on the way to school. Seems like if the car is plugged in that it shouldn't be a problem to warm the anti-freeze without the engine.

#5 OFFLINE   sstober

sstober

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationToronto
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2014

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

I concur with Raja; Setting 'go times' will not start the engine. However, if you have 110 volt connection, you won't necessarily get it warmed up. My 220 connections at work and at home have given me toasty warm interiors even in the deep freeze, so much so that when it's cold outside, I kick myself if I've forgotten to do a go time set up.

Remote starting while not connected to outside power is completely different and will start the car if the outside temps are cold enough. So those who remote start their cars while in a connected garage be VERY careful as the engine may turn on creating carbon monoxide which can seep into the house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·