Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Remote start in EV later? (i.e., with ICE)

preconditioning remote start mfm

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drwka

drwka

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPittsburgh PA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:18 AM

Hello all, 

New to this forum - just bought my CMAX Energi about 3 weeks ago. REALLY like the car, and I was really really looking forward to having it remote start on the GO time schedule and be warm on cold mornings. So I was very disappointed to find out that the 120V charger doesn't really warm up the interior of the car (of course, dealer didn't mention this).

We don't have a garage, so I'm parking outside on a parking pad, with the 120V charger plugged into an exterior outlet. Needless to say, with this week's polar plunge, the car is very very cold in the morning! We might take the plunge for a 240V charger, but in the meantime, the EASIEST thing would be if I could "remote start" the car in "EV later" mode - that is, with the gas engine, while still charging, so that I'm using gas to warm the car, not electricity - and then unplug it and drive off nice and warm in "EV now" mode.

Is there a way to program MFM or the GO times to do this? Or: if you turned off the car the night before in EV later mode would it start up in that mode the next morning?

And (a slightly unrelated question, maybe, but also maybe another solution): Is there a way just to get the seat warmers turned on before getting in the car? I find that the GO time remote start does not even turn on the seat warmers (even though they are set to 1 or 2 when I get out of the car at night). Or is this something I need to take the car back to the dealership to have troubleshooted?

Thanks to all who share their expertise and experience on this forum! I have learned alot about how to better drive this car, esp from Raja and GaryG. (I'm a newbie, and only logged about 800 miles on the car, but "averaging" 110 mpg, and still have half my original full tank left! if I weren't heading out on a long highway road trip tomorrow, I might have gotten 1600 miles on a tank of gas. That just blows my mind...)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

I live in LA and don't use remote start, and don't precondition because I have the standard 120v plug as well.

If you shut down in EV Later, I believe it will start up in Auto. I've not noticed the seat heaters issue, but it sounds like normal procedure - they don't work unless the car is on.

I would suggest using the remote start feature on the FOB to start the car a few minutes before you go outside. Of course, any ICE start is going to use gas, and I'm not sure it is worth the warmth for MPG. You have to balance the gas usage vs. the extra driving range.

Note that if it is cold enough, the ICE is going to come on anyway to provide heat.

#3 OFFLINE   drwka

drwka

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

Will the key fob remote button (the 2x button) turn on the gas engine? If so, I guess the problem's solved, as long as I remember to do it ;-).

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

I have remote started several times, from the FOB or the iPhone app.,  plugged in to 120V or 240V,  EV Now or EV Auto or EV later.  It seems inconsistent when the ICE turns on.  Perhaps temperature dependent.  I have noticed. however, IF the ICE turned on, and the car was plugged in, the moment I unplug the car, the ICE turns off.  Kinda annoying, as I wanted to warm the car.

#5 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

Will the key fob remote button (the 2x button) turn on the gas engine? If so, I guess the problem's solved, as long as I remember to do it ;-).

Thanks!

I've not tried it. You might try leaving the heat turned on the night before (set auto temp to 72 or so). That might force the ICE (or it might just burn up the battery, I don't know). You will need to try it out.

If it is really important, upgrade to a level 2 charger and precondition.

#6 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

If it's not possible to remote start in ICE, could you go back to the old-fashioned way...run outside, start the car, put it in EV Later mode, run back inside, and let it warm up for a few minutes before leaving? Seems a lot cheaper than buying the level 2 charger if that's all you need it for.

#7 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

If it's not possible to remote start in ICE, could you go back to the old-fashioned way...run outside, start the car, put it in EV Later mode, run back inside, and let it warm up for a few minutes before leaving? Seems a lot cheaper than buying the level 2 charger if that's all you need it for.

That seems rediculous to have remote start as a feature of the vehicle, and not be able to use it.

At home, I recondition, on L2. It's when I'm not plugged in, or plugged in on L1 that I NEED the remote start to do what if says, remotely START my car, not just turn it ON.

#8 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

The car won't necessarily start in EV Later. The vehicle still has the hybrid portion of the battery and will stay on electric for a while, depending on the battery drain. ICE would come on sooner than with the HVB, but not immediately.

#9 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

My opinion would be to not delay getting a Level 2 40amp charger any longer. Start with a 70 - 80% charge in the morning and manually start the car in EV and allow the electric heater to warm the cabin while charging at the same time. Both the electric heater and charging the battery will warm the battery the quickest and increase EV range. You can stay or get out of the car and go back inside the house. 

Gary

#10 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

I found that it was either a combination of cold and having the heat cranked up but my car started in ICE mode the last few days when it was cold in Denver.

yesterday it was warmer and it used the battery. This morning  I started the car and it was on ICE

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

If its too cold the battery alone can't handle making heat, there is a limit to the electric heater even at 5000w.

-=>Raja.

#12 OFFLINE   drwka

drwka

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

I appreciate all the replies. I've been doing a bit of experimenting the last few trips.

Using the key fob's remote start about 10 mins before leaving does get the car warmed up (and if the seat warmers are already set to be on, the seats do get warm). If it's plugged in, unplugging does not turn off the car - the heater stays on. So far, it seems that the gas engine is not turning on, though, which means that the climate control is pulling down some of the battery charge - instead of getting 19-20 mi range (which is what it has been showing as a full charge on MFM before I remote start) the range can be all the way down to 11-12 by the time I get into the car and start driving. (The good news is that I live on top of a fairly large, long hill, so I can recoup a little bit of that range on my way out every trip).

But this remote starting, at least, is better than what I was getting with the GO time feature: up till now, with the GO times the car was not even a little bit warm, and there was still some drain of charge off the battery. I guess the GO time is programmed to try to continue to charge the battery AND precondition the car, and on 120V it can't really do both?? I don't really understand how or why, since I thought the car was supposed to figure out how long it would take for it to be 'ready' to go (and if remote start can get the car warm in 10 minutes, why can't GO time do so in a half hour or an hour??)

If the people at Ford read these forums, they might want to consider a way to allow those of us in cold climates to manually put the car into ICE mode so that we can use our range for range, rather than for warming the car.

And, yes, we should indeed invest in the 240V charger. But the installation may be complicated, because we might need to run a whole new service from the pole....we're looking into it. It's not fully clear to me, however, if the 240V charger will get my car warm when it's parked in an outside location. I can test that at work (we have an electric car outdoor parking lot, so the next time I'm there I'll schedule a GO time while plugged into that charger.)

#13 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

Darka, let me know how you make out with testing the 240v charger.  I tried it when I was in the movies, "go time" set to 72F ready at midnight and at 11:50pm the car was maybe better than outside's 22F temp but the registers were blowing cool not hot air out.  This was plugged into the HV charger in a parking lot at Patriot's place.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 20 November 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

I use the web page to remote start

myfordmobile.com and have the heat and fan both on high

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: preconditioning, remote start, mfm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·