Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Change Engine Oil Soon

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

Yes there is a procedure to reset the oil life after you change the oil.  The dealer forgets to do this sometimes.  My first oil change the dealer forgot to do it, and 200 miles later I got the change oil light.  The car was at 20,200 then.  I just googled how to do it and reset the life meter myself.  Since then I change my own oil.

-=>Raja.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   agincourt

agincourt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationComox
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max Energi 2015

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks, it worked.

http://seventrumpet....d-c-max-energy/

#43 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 402 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:55 AM

Most likely. Let them reset it. Hopefully local?

#44 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBelle River
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:02 AM

What oil do we use? Synth, Semi Synth , regular? What viscosity?

Mine is due (33,000 kms) and the dealer wants $100 to change it .. might go to one of those jiffy lube type places if they have the right oil

#45 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

0w-20 fully synthetic.  You can do it yourself if you buy a couple of ramps to drive the car up on.  Easy.

-=>Raja.

#46 OFFLINE   regnaston

regnaston

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationBelle River
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

0w-20 fully synthetic.  You can do it yourself if you buy a couple of ramps to drive the car up on.  Easy.

-=>Raja.

I have stands I can use... going to check the price on 0w-20 synth at local store 

thx

#47 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Go to Walmart, I think you can find that 0w-20 5 gallon jug there, its green or gray with green Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy.  Buy two so you have some for topoff over the years or a spare bottle at least in case you need it.

Also you need a filter, I have Bosch 3330 or STP 3614XL here now for the next two oil changes.  Its right there in the front after you drop the cover which had 8 screws.

Try to do it after you've driven the engine and its hot instead of a cold engine...  This way the oil flows better and takes the contaminants with it.

All the best,

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 29 October 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   marlowefamily

marlowefamily

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium w/ Moonroof

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

fyi -- I took my C-Max in to get scuff plates + window deflectors installed on my 2017 energi titanium.  The Ford Service Manager said they are recommending all C-Max's get oil changed once/year or every 10K miles.  I assume they're just being conservative and/or ensuring they get service revenue from C-Max's more often...but I have a hard time arguing against once/year.....I usually take older cars I don't frequently drive in for oil change once/year.

#49 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

There's an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor on the car.  It will go off every 20,000 miles.  That's what the car was engineered to do.  The Service Manager is just doing what he knows about normal ICE cars from back in the day.

Even my Escape has an IOLM, and it will come on at about 10,000 miles.

Long gone is the days of 3month/3000 mile oil changes, they were being safe, yes, but also making money, and getting you in for service to sell you more stuff.

On the Energi, depending on how often the engine is fired up, will drastically change when you need to change the oil.  There is no magic mileage number anymore.

Trust the car !

#50 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

Just as an FYI, after 20k miles on my Cmax my engine has run about 9xxx K miles.  So that would be close to 10k miles on the engine.  Electric miles don't count for oil changes.  Synthetic is supposed to last 15k miles, my wife's BMW asks for oil changes every 15225 miles or so.  I always changed it for that car every 10k miles.  So doing the Cmax at 20k for me is about the same, every 10k on the engine.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 30 October 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

The ILOM has been interesting to track using my ScanGauge. It starts at 100% and after about 20k miles it shows 0% and the left window message appears with the change the oil reminder message.

During the first three years of ownership driving 80% EV on 45mph or less streets the IOLM tracked down to 0% at about each 20k miles. I drive 20k miles about every 18 months and change the oil at the 20k mile interval per the recommendations in the OM. The oil was still only light brown in color each time the oil was changed.

At three years my driving pattern changed and now drive 60% EV later due to more highway miles. The ILOM still tracked down to 0% at 20k miles where I changed the oil at about 60k miles. With the more ICE miles the oil color was still light brown in color at the time of the oil change.

My old 2004 Ford Ranger (124k miles) gets an oil change once per year at about 3k miles and is alway almost Black in color. 

So my experience with IOLM is that it tracks down to 0% at about 20k miles even with my varying driving styles. Guess I don't do anything that would cause it to make the recommended oil change interval shorter than the 20k miles. 

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·