Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Change Engine Oil Soon

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCape coral, Florida
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi and Toyota camry 2002

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:28 AM

I have not ever heard of C-Max owners having  to add oil between changes before. Since you drive mostly hybrid it will be interesting to see if the oil change notification message occurs at less that 20k miles. Also the 2013 model uses 5w20 and newer models now use 0w20. 

Tom

The oil level is down at the bottom hole of the dipstick.  https://goo.gl/photo...71DVDB1ppC1dPCA

I may just top it up but if a tire shop is going to charge me $20-30 to rotate the tires it probably makes better sense just to get the oil and tires done at the dealership.  I haven't done my air filter either and I might just add that to the list too although I wouldn't mind having a go at pulling that out myself.  I did the cabin filter in about 15 minutes.  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

I just went and checked my oil, 9k miles later (49k now) and its still on the full mark.  Out of the 9k maybe like 4k are ICE.

-=>Raja.

#23 OFFLINE   wcshaff

wcshaff

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationBoulder
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

Just had my complimentary oil change at the Ford dealership.  2013 C-Max with 19K miles, owned 3-1/2 years.  The oil light had not come on for the first time, perhaps because of the high percentage of electric miles with the car.  In any case, I talked with the service manager and he said Ford was seeing sludge build-up in these cars when waiting this long between oil changes. It seems that the recommendation may be moving to more frequent changes, say every 10-12K miles.   

#24 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

Just had my complimentary oil change at the Ford dealership.  2013 C-Max with 19K miles, owned 3-1/2 years.  The oil light had not come on for the first time, perhaps because of the high percentage of electric miles with the car.  In any case, I talked with the service manager and he said Ford was seeing sludge build-up in these cars when waiting this long between oil changes. It seems that the recommendation may be moving to more frequent changes, say every 10-12K miles.

The manual recommends 20k miles or two years so you are way over time time window. It is interesting that the IOLM does not show a reminder after two years. The IOLM track the milage as I have observed using an xgauge in my ScanGauge. I have heard nothing from Ford about changing the oil change recommendations. After my second oil change at 39k miles just prior to a long trip the dealer service did put a reminder sticker on the window for an oil change in 6 months or 5k miles. I think they do that on every car that gets an oil change, indicating that the dealers don't read the manuals.

Tom

#25 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:22 AM

The manual recommends 20k miles or two years so you are way over time time window. 

I recently got my indication.    I got in on the half price Mobil One rebate offer so total costs for DIY was about $15 for a full syn oil change. :2thumbs:   https://mobiloil.com...and-mobil-super

005C45FE-A5D7-4A0A-ACED-FBCA9920E6A0_zps

Being I have a 2013 purchased in 2014, it's well over the two year time frame so it's probably safe to say the warning is only mileage based.    :wink:       I saved a sample to send in for analysis.   :detective:

• ptjones likes this

#26 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

I just got my notice but it popped up at 12k miles for a 2014 model. So somewhere along the line Ford lowered the threshold for the warning.

#27 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:25 PM

Mine popped up at exactly 20200 miles also.

-=>Raja.

#28 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:53 AM

I just got my notice but it popped up at 12k miles for a 2014 model. So somewhere along the line Ford lowered the threshold for the warning.

How much of the time are you driving on gas?

#29 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:04 AM

Can't say. I've only put 5 tanks of gas in it in the two years since bought it.

#30 OFFLINE   Levi Smith

Levi Smith

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A W Panoramic Roof

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

Can't say. I've only put 5 tanks of gas in it in the two years since bought it.

Have you run into the oil maintenance mode at all?

Just wondering if the oil life monitor actually determined some reason in your case that the interval would be shorter or if there is some other functional change.

#31 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, IL

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Nope, never had the  oil maintenance notice.

I'm thinking maybe there's some sort of time criteria.  I only put 6000 miles a year on it and its been 2 years. It could be triggering on the time frame rather than on the mileage.

#32 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:29 PM

It is, either 20k miles or 2 years whichever comes first.

By the way, I should say this, don't treat this car like an electric only vehicle...don't forget you also paid for an engine with the car so go places and use that also, not just the battery.  If you limit your range to stay on electric all the time, you'll end up with a dead battery and a new engine down the road (or maybe a rusted one), you know what I mean?

-=>Raja.

#33 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

I only put 6000 miles a year on it and its been 2 years. It could be triggering on the time frame rather than on the mileage.

Mine tripped at approx. 3 years/20k miles but I'd say that nearly 90% of my ICE driving is long duration, high speed driving which is easy on oil.

#34 OFFLINE   outerdog

outerdog

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCupertino, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

I drive the 2013 model C-MAX Energi.  My oil maintenance notice never triggered before I had the oil changed at 20,492 total miles.  This was after driving the car for two years and six months.  I've driven the car now for a little over four years.  Total mileage now is 28,995.  I've changed the oil just that one time in October 2015.

Looking at my invoice, I see that Sunnyvale Ford charged me for additives that I never asked for — BG MOA Oil Supplement and BG CF5 Fuel System Cleaner.  Is it because the C-MAX Energi is a PHEV that requires infrequent oil changes?  I would guess no — that it's probably just standard procedure for an oil change at Sunnyvale Ford.

#35 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

I have changed mine at 20k miles.  It is like any other car except for the 6 or so bolts to remove the under-carriage  protector.     With my driving 20k miles equates to about 3-4K of ICE usage.   Easy reset procedure on the dash to (several YouTubes) if you want to DIY.  Mobil One is cheap at wally world in the 5 quart containers for the 0w20 or 5-w-20 weights.  Maybe costco too is now carrying those weights and the mobil 1 is cheap.  Wallyworld and AZ also carry motorcraft synblend (not sure if the have that weight.)

#36 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDC Metro Area
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Cmax Energi Titanium

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

No way I'm letting our 2017 go more than one year without changing the engine oil.  I normally change all my vehicles every 6 months using synthetic oil regardless of mileage.  Only doing it once per year for our cmax might be hard for me to handle.

Greg

#37 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:47 AM

It is, either 20k miles or 2 years whichever comes first.

-=>Raja.

It must be on a 20K interval.  I just passed 40,000 miles, time for oil change Number 2.

#38 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

No way I'm letting our 2017 go more than one year without changing the engine oil.  I normally change all my vehicles every 6 months using synthetic oil regardless of mileage.  Only doing it once per year for our cmax might be hard for me to handle.

Greg

I always try to follow the Ford recommendation or 2 years or 20k miles. The IOLM (Accessed through my ScanGauge) looks like it tracks just the miles. For me 20k miles is about 18 months. Now 20k miles on the car is not the same as 20k miles on the ICE. My first 20k miles had less than 5K on the ice and the oil was almost clear when the oil was changed. The second 20k miles had about 8k on the ICE and still looked translucent brown. From now on I expect to be putting 10k miles on the ICE for each 20k miles driven. I expect the oil to still look better than the black looking oil in my Ranger when it is time to change that oil at 7.5k mile.

I am one of those that think that changing the oil too often is just a waste or resources. I have never had an oil related engine problem when following the manufactures guidelines in oner 40 years of driving. Some people out of habit or per their service tech advice change their oil more often. There certainly no harm in spending a little more to change the oil more often if you desire. I just have never justified any extra benefit. 

Tom

#39 OFFLINE   altabrig

altabrig

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Cmax energi Oxford White 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

Modern weight oils don't degrade too quickly.  If you are running the ICE up quick to 5-10K miles (depending on the driving conditions) than change when you get into that range to be on the safe side.   A shorter interval is burning money in you little atkinson.  I am going about 3-5K on the ICE every 2 years so that is when I change.  

The oil sitting in your engine is not oxidizing and going bad in two years, more so for synthetic/blends.   Just add your fresh mobil 1, valvoline, motorcraft, etc. and check your dipstick regularly.   If your engine isn't burning much oil, then you're good.   If she is a burner, watch your gaskets and add as needed or change your oil a shortened interval.

Unless you love oil changing.  Then do it as you please be sure to go here: https://www.bobisthe...ds.php?ubb=cfrm

Edited by altabrig, 17 June 2017 - 09:39 AM.

• RubyMax likes this

#40 OFFLINE   agincourt

agincourt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationComox
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max Energi 2015

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

I changed my oil at around 24,000 km without receiving a warning at that time    Just got the Oil Change Warning at 28,000 km.  Is this because the dealer didn't reset the clock for the next oil change?  Any other thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·