Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Snow chains/cables

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

I may be needing some chains in Feb. Does anyone have a better choice than the SZ137?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

Sorry Steve that no one has responded.  I kind of waited, and also found my set of SZ137's, bought brand new, and still brand new.  The springs are about a half inch long each. not one whole piece.  They "look" like they are together as one piece when you take a peek into the bag, but touch the "springs" and you'll immediately realize they are many many smaller pieces.  It also came with some large clear plastic gloves and an Ice scraper, (which videos show how to use to help wrap around the tire.)  They are an improvement to the SC line.  I actually tried the SC line on our '04 Sienna and found that the end of the metal cord would come loose from the weak clips that hold them and tap/scrape the wheel well in the van.  No visible damage, but you could definitely hear it.  I'm afraid I have yet to try the SZ137's, but I feel for the price and quality it is a good choice.  Note that those "plastic arms" on the Thule K33's could be damaged on turns on the front wheels as the tire "cambers outward"...  

#23 OFFLINE   Ron Carter

Ron Carter

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

I hit the link to Amazon for the SCC SZ137 s, they said they do NOT fit he 2015 Cmax !

Also they are priced at $89.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or experience with the Cmax driving on snow ?

I am going to be driving to Lake Tahoe over the 1-80 from Los Angeles at Christmas.

Thanks,

Ron

#24 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:47 AM

I hit the link to Amazon for the SCC SZ137 s, they said they do NOT fit he 2015 Cmax !

Does anyone have any other suggestions or experience with the Cmax driving on snow ?

I am going to be driving to Lake Tahoe over the 1-80 from Los Angeles at Christmas.

Thanks,

Ron

Just right now I checked, and they're $78.99 from Amazon.  $78.98 from another seller...

I've fit them.  They do fit.  Amazon's application guide is not always correct.

There is a link to the SC line.  If you look closely towards the far end of the wheel, you'll see the metal beaded string.  It is held to the "ring" with these clips.  It was difficult to keep all of them on on our '04 Sienna when we needed them.  I would say the extra cost is worth it.  The Thule was far more expensive....

#25 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:51 AM

It's a Hybrid, but almost practically the same otherwise:

http://fordcmaxhybri...mmoth-lakes-ca/

BTW-  There is a way to park the wipers above the hood line.  I forget the procedure but it's in the manual...

Edited by jzchen, 10 December 2015 - 04:05 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

Thanks,

Ron

I think the manual says that there are no snow cables approved for use. So technically they don't fit, but folks are using them.

#27 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

Steve, my first post links to Ford's "Modifier Guide".  Later I found that this was produced after the latest edition of the '13 Manual.  If it will fit a 2013, I would think it should be the same for later years.  Questions come to mind like they didn't update the manual, or did they make changes to the later years, but, I guess more research has to be done to figure that out as of now...  From the Hybrid forum Moderator's posts the SZ137's seem like a great choice...

So I tried to find more:

http://www.motorcraf...sid=c-max_Guide

Strangely, only 2014, your year, is missing, 2015 and 2016, as well as the 2013, list SAE Class S on front tires only as applicable.  (I checked.)

Edited by jzchen, 10 December 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

Steve, my first post links to Ford's "Modifier Guide".  Later I found that this was produced after the latest edition of the '13 Manual.  If it will fit a 2013, I would think it should be the same for later years.  Questions come to mind like they didn't update the manual, or did they make changes to the later years, but, I guess more research has to be done to figure that out as of now...  From the Hybrid forum Moderator's posts the SZ137's seem like a great choice...

So I tried to find more:

http://www.motorcraf...sid=c-max_Guide

Strangely, only 2014, your year, is missing, 2015 and 2016, as well as the 2013, list SAE Class S on front tires only as applicable.  (I checked.)

Thanks for the link. I've added it to my list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·