Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Snow chains/cables

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 521 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:22 AM

Planning to take a trip to Sequoia at the end of the month, and it is required to carry around snow chains/cables at that time...

I know the manual seems to state not to use them, but from a C-MAX Hybrid forum moderator I learned that the SCC SZ137 fit. I tried them on the front tires yesterday and although I consider my hands small, I found it difficult to get them on. I also found very little room above the chains/cables to the lip on the strut, about my index finger's width. Per this concern I have ordered a set of Thule K-Summit K33 and will report. They also fit the Prius v in our household so I thought it an okay idea.

Interesting note: The Prius v manual states to use traction devices only on the front wheels, and I just found the Motorcraft Modifier's guide also stating the same thing, only the front. Thanks to a link from a fordcmaxhybridforum member, I was able to find it on the motorcraftservice.com site:

http://www.motorcraf...difer_Guide.pdf

Funny how even the 3rd printing of the '13 C-MAX manual still states no chains are to be used. Seems like that would be more current than a March '13 dated Modifier Guide....

Edited by jzchen, 07 November 2014 - 03:47 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

I just checked the manual, and you are correct. I missed that one, about chains not being approved.

I would have thought that cable style chains should be fine, and they are only used on the front wheels. But now I have to think about it.

Keep us informed!

#3 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

Chains are the classic steel link things.  Cable traction devices and other devices like the Thule K-Summit (which require zero inside clearance) are not chains.

#4 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

Yes, I was utterly confused at first at why you would want the devices only on the drive wheels, in this case the front. Peerless/SCC believes that all four would be best. I think overall traction would increase, and then thought of wheel lock up. If there's induced different levels of traction then the ABS will be "forced" to kick in. I will have the Thule for the front and the SCCs, which seem like they will fit the rear fine, to try. I guess I could be the guinea pig. (Hopefully the K33s clear the strut lip.)
  • ParnelliJoan likes this

#5 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:12 AM

I just checked the manual, and you are correct. I missed that one, about chains not being approved.

I would have thought that cable style chains should be fine, and they are only used on the front wheels. But now I have to think about it.

Keep us informed!

Funny, I was sleeping and in the middle of the night, literally 4 hrs into my sleep, I awoken and thought of this.  (Can you tell I'm a car guy?)  The reason I remembered about the chains was a disclosure my wife had to sign when she bought the car.  It should be part of your purchase/lease paperwork if you bought/leased the car here in CA.  The '12 Prius v in our household also got a very similar note, if not the exact same, that my mother had to sign when she purchased that.  (I actually went to check the Prius v paperwork after reading up on it in the C-MAX manual.)  It would be very interesting to hear about it if you can find this paperwork and see that you actually signed this notice, (and maybe forgot about it?)   :smile2:

Chains are the classic steel link things.  Cable traction devices and other devices like the Thule K-Summit (which require zero inside clearance) are not chains.

I got corrected in the fordcmaxhybridforum as well.  In fact, was it you that corrected me, or Jus?  Thanks for clarifying!   :smile2:  That's why I chose to put chain/cable.  To me they are too similar to distinguish a difference, although the Thule K-Summit seems to be in a different class.  (We are so unblessed with no snow here I didn't know.)  OnTrac was the shipping company Amazon used to ship me the SCC SZ137.  I'm not sure about where you live or your experience with OnTrac, but here they tend to come bright and early in the morning and ring the bell to deliver your package.  (My tracking actually said they were going to deliver by 8 pm the night of the 5th, but the two day shipping due to Amazon Prime was the 6th.  I didn't complain, and they arrived around 7:30 am so it seems from the tracking, sitting just inside the gate when I awoke to check.)

This was the first time I had ever handled a traction device in my life.  I went out and tried them on almost immediately, (well, within an hour....)

I'm excited to say that although my invoice from AutoAnything says that the K-Summits would ship between 11/14 to 11/18, cutting it very close to when we leave for Sequoia, that I got tracking info. that they shipped yesterday, the 7th.  I am looking forward to receiving them on time and seeing whether they clear the strut.  (I'm a little worried about the clearance around the other edge of the tire tread as Thule doesn't provide clearance specs, at least that I could find.  Hopefully they won't be too close to the fender/wheel well on the outer side...)

Edited by jzchen, 08 November 2014 - 01:15 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:03 PM

Funny, I was sleeping and in the middle of the night, literally 4 hrs into my sleep, I awoken and thought of this.  (Can you tell I'm a car guy?)  The reason I remembered about the chains was a disclosure my wife had to sign when she bought the car.  It should be part of your purchase/lease paperwork if you bought/leased the car here in CA.  The '12 Prius v in our household also got a very similar note, if not the exact same, that my mother had to sign when she purchased that.  (I actually went to check the Prius v paperwork after reading up on it in the C-MAX manual.)  It would be very interesting to hear about it if you can find this paperwork and see that you actually signed this notice, (and maybe forgot about it?)   :smile2:

I got corrected in the fordcmaxhybridforum as well.  In fact, was it you that corrected me, or Jus?  Thanks for clarifying!   :smile2:  That's why I chose to put chain/cable.  To me they are too similar to distinguish a difference, although the Thule K-Summit seems to be in a different class.  (We are so unblessed with no snow here I didn't know.)  OnTrac was the shipping company Amazon used to ship me the SCC SZ137.  I'm not sure about where you live or your experience with OnTrac, but here they tend to come bright and early in the morning and ring the bell to deliver your package.  (My tracking actually said they were going to deliver by 8 pm the night of the 5th, but the two day shipping due to Amazon Prime was the 6th.  I didn't complain, and they arrived around 7:30 am so it seems from the tracking, sitting just inside the gate when I awoke to check.)

This was the first time I had ever handled a traction device in my life.  I went out and tried them on almost immediately, (well, within an hour....)

I'm excited to say that although my invoice from AutoAnything says that the K-Summits would ship between 11/14 to 11/18, cutting it very close to when we leave for Sequoia, that I got tracking info. that they shipped yesterday, the 7th.  I am looking forward to receiving them on time and seeing whether they clear the strut.  (I'm a little worried about the clearance around the other edge of the tire tread as Thule doesn't provide clearance specs, at least that I could find.  Hopefully they won't be too close to the fender/wheel well on the outer side...)

As well as updating us with the progress and fit, can you please post the Amazon link, in case someone else wants to buy them?

#7 OFFLINE   ParnelliJoan

ParnelliJoan

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'll be awaiting your experience, too, jzchen!

I called Les Schwab and they quoted me about $37 for cables & tightener based on my tire size, but I'm a little suspicious about the product as they didn't offer any clarification about how these tires have limited operating clearance.

I searched Amazon for the SCC SZ137, and found the site is great - it asks specifically for your car model to be sure it fits.

Here is the link I'm at, if that helps: http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Not being a regular snow-traveller, I'm puzzled about the comments about chaining all four wheels. Isn't that overkill? Shouldn't it be OK to chain just the front (drive train) wheels? 

#8 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

As well as updating us with the progress and fit, can you please post the Amazon link, in case someone else wants to buy them?

Well, I took a closer look at the strut, and I think I may have rushed to purchase the Thule.  I originally thought that the compression might cause contact with the lip, but the spring is on the other side and will most likely not compress on the side of concern.  (Does that make sense?  Sorry, I'm a little in a hurry right now.)

I think Parnelli got the link right, but there's one with a list of sellers, not just Amazon, (you click the "6 new"):

http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=new

I almost bought from Frontier Toyota, but I know that Amazon has a very good return policy as they say it will fit.

I'll be awaiting your experience, too, jzchen!

I called Les Schwab and they quoted me about $37 for cables & tightener based on my tire size, but I'm a little suspicious about the product as they didn't offer any clarification about how these tires have limited operating clearance.

I searched Amazon for the SCC SZ137, and found the site is great - it asks specifically for your car model to be sure it fits.

Here is the link I'm at, if that helps: http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Not being a regular snow-traveller, I'm puzzled about the comments about chaining all four wheels. Isn't that overkill? Shouldn't it be OK to chain just the front (drive train) wheels? 

$37 is a good price, but definitely be wary because it is a very tight fit back near the strut lip.  I stuck my hand in there without the chain/cable, and it was just a little wider than my finger.  The SCC SZ137 is supposedly their best model for clearance issues.  I did get the Thule K-Summits in today.  I may have a chance to try them on in the morning.

Maybe chaining all 4 is overkill.  I remember on one trip to Palmdale/Lancaster that it snowed a little bit, and boy was it mighty slippery.  But then again that was on All season tires.  I really don't know too much beyond the well plowed Cleveland snow season in which I had dedicated snow tires...

#9 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

On the clearance issue, what pressure do you keep your tires? I'm wondering if having them a bit overinflated would be better or worse for clearance...

#10 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

On the clearance issue, what pressure do you keep your tires? I'm wondering if having them a bit overinflated would be better or worse for clearance...

Depending on the forecast at the time, I'm planning on increasing the cold inflation pressure beforehand to adjust for the fact that 10 degrees F approximately equates to 1 PSI.  (I'm not interested in adjusting in freezing cold, if it is very cold there at that time.)  I am currently following the 38 PSI manufacturer spec. using an Accutire digital gauge, actually I inflate to 38.5 and wait until all 4 go down to 37.5 before going back to 38.5, but all 4 always set at 38.0 minimum.  Every two weeks I check.  With about 20,500 miles I don't notice any uneven wear.  These tires definitely have a long tread life.

So I had a chance to open the K-Summit box right now in the middle of the night, and I thought I'd give some initial impressions.  I didn't get around to it yesterday morning like I hoped.  My wife goes to work Thurs. so I'm not sure I'll get to test fit before she leaves:

1.  These things are HEAVY, well, at least for me.  I'm not that strong, but they are definitely much heavier than the SZ137s, probably double, if not more.  I can lift both SZ137 cables with one hand with no problem, but with both hands I think I'll need some effort just to carry around one of these.

2.  Definitely set these up before you go anywhere you might need them.  The SZ137s don't require any special setup in comparison.

I'll try to explain a little:  (If you need more details go to the Thule website.  You can use the Fit Guide to select the specific Snow Chains for your car/vehicle, and there is a tab where you can download the instructions, but actually the instructions cover the whole line of K-Summits, including the XL and XXL.)

The reason it fits so many tire sizes as compared to the SCC units is that it has these pins with a little yellow spacer inserted, I believe 4, which effectively decreases the outer radius.  For the Prius v with 215/50-17 tires one has to use the SCC SZ133s, whereas for Thule, the K33 fits both.  So for the 215/50-17 tires, I would not remove any of these pins, whereas for the 225/50-17 tires on the C-MAX, I am supposed to remove 4, which effectively increases the diameter of the the chain/cable.  I was originally going to try them on the Prius v first as they are setup size wise exactly for that, but I think I'm just going to skip the hassle and go straight to removing the 4 pins.  The pins work by pinching the cable in parts, so inserted the cable looks like X, and removed the cable looks like I I.  When in the parallel configuration, the chain is longer....

There was another concern, as these require an attachment to one lug nut/bolt.  As there are varying sizes of nuts/bolts, the instructions show that some adapters, in this case 19mm, 21mm, and 22mm, might not be included in the kit.  I think Amazon lists 17mm and 19mm included, but 21 mm and 22 mm are not.  In the hard copy manual that came in the case, it lists 17mm and Optional for 19mm, 21mm, and 22mm.  The good news is that AutoAnything drop shipped direct from Thule USA, and the package came with ALL 4 sizes.  (YAH!  I don't have to go searching on where to buy the adapter I need!)  I guess for the Sweeds, (as Thule is a Sweedish brand,) optional doesn't mean not included and you have to pay extra, like so many other companies do. Everything is Awesome.

The device that attaches to the bolt/nut will not work on a wheel lock, but you don't need to remove the wheel locks on your vehicle so long as you have one regular bolt/nut to attach to.  (Gorrilla Automotive sells "The System" in which every nut/bolt is a lock.  It wouldn't work on that.)  Now this "device", which basically looks like a pointer, requires a specific amount of space when inserted into the lug hole.  Included is an extra red spacer, in case it doesn't have the right clearance from the face of the wheel.  One spacer is already installed along with the 17mm adapter on the medium size bolt.  You use a different combination of the spacers, along with the included longer and shorter bolts, to adjust the clearance from the face of the wheel.

Enough for now.  I need to get some more sleep.....

Edited by jzchen, 15 November 2014 - 03:39 AM.

• dr61 and ParnelliJoan like this

#11 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

Lifting one with both hands is not bad.  I guess trying to lift one in each hand was hard for me...

I removed the 8 yellow colored pins, (4 for each unit,) this morning, required for the 225/50-17 tire size.  They were very difficult to remove, as the nut has blue Loctite on it.  It is better to use a ratchet with a 7mm socket to firmly grip the nut, than the included wrench, while using the included hex tool for the other side.  What a pain.  Some were so tight that the wrench or the hex would sometimes slip as I was trying to loosen the nut!

Next up was to adjust the wheel lug nut/lug bolt device.  I removed the 17mm adapter, and replaced it with the 19mm adapter, as I already checked the size of the C-MAX's lug nuts, went out to the C-MAX, and it was sticking too far out compared to the picture.  You want the face of the wheel to reach the spacer it seems.  So, per the instructions, I removed the medium length bolt, thicker silver spacer, and used the shortest bolt, red spacer, and reassembled it with the 19mm adapter.  I may call Thule about it, because the face of the wheel doesn't reach the spacer, and the picture doesn't make sense.  If it didn't reach the spacer in the first place, it wouldn't reach the spacer after after only replacing the spacer with a thinner spacer.

I didn't get to try them on yet....

Edited by jzchen, 15 November 2014 - 03:42 AM.

• dr61 and ParnelliJoan like this

#12 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:28 AM

So I got to try the K-33s on yesterday.  Not bad lifting with both hands, just a little clumsy with one in each hand.  I'm definitely comfortable with the fit.  They don't come close to the strut lip and obviously the back side of the tire.

IMG_20141114_063505_zps5ca33b5b.jpg

IMG_20141114_063521_zpsda8aba10.jpg

I ended up not calling Thule, as the instructions don't say anything as to removing the spacer completely, and thinking about it the length of the bolt is designed for use with the spacer.  I thought if I remove it there would be an issue about it not fitting well.  Since each of the "arms" are at 90 degree angles, you are supposed to put any two at the 10:30 and 1:30 positions, and then wrap the other two as best as possible around the bottom portion of the tire.  I took care to make sure I wrapped them around the bottom portion as best as possible, as the instructions demonstrate not to just leave them hanging out.  You then attach the bolt thingamajig to one bolt, point the arrow towards the center of the wheel, and then tighten down the bolt with the included wrench.  Then you ratchet the handle until a red line comes into view, which effectively pulls the center towards the wheel, tensioning the device.  This whole process, while hard to explain in words, felt much easier than trying to wrap the SCC SZ137 around behind the tire, then trying to get it around the limited clearance, and then attaching the one link in the back, and two links in the front of the tire.  (EDIT Nov. 28-  After connecting the chain links you add the rubber tightener to the front, which requires some effort.)

Once you attach them to the vehicle while it is stationary, they are supposed to slide into place when you drive off.  I found that the part that you can't get on because it is in contact with the ground would get caught in a groove on the tire, the OEM Michelins, so that I found I might need to rotate the tire 180 degrees by moving the car a little and "helping" that part into place.  I was driving the car onto our lawn to put the chains on there, and I didn't want to drive too far and accidentally smash a sprinkler, but out in the wild maybe they'd slide into place on their own just fine.  I think I'll stick to just moving a little and nudging them into place.  Those things that wrap around the edges of the tires are plastic and I definitely do not want to accidentally brake them.  While I consider myself lucky and AutoAnything at the time had a 15% off new visitor code, which I was able to use even though I'm not a new customer, by adding to cart, entering the code, AND THEN logging in, they were still a tad over $400 including CA tax and free shipping.  (Sometimes they have a 20% off sale, a rarity, but if you are patient watch for it!  If you subscribe to their email "newsletter" you'll get a notification of it, especially watch out for it on Thursdays.)

So to sum things up.  The Thule K-33 fit great, are real easy to put on, once you get over the set-up, and have no clearance concerns, but are super expensive, whereas the SCC SZ137 is a much cheaper alternative, although there is a little concern about clearance from the strut.

Edited by jzchen, 28 November 2014 - 12:38 AM.

• tr7driver and ParnelliJoan like this

#13 OFFLINE   ParnelliJoan

ParnelliJoan

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for being so thorough, jzchen! Amazingly helpful.

As I'm only needing to "carry" chins for traveling through California mountains, I think I'll take my chances with the SCC SZ137's from Amazon.

If I actually have to use them, I'll report back to this forum for the benefit of others, but it wouldn't be until sometime in December - or even later if we don't get more snow soon!

#14 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:03 AM

In my last post above, regarding installing the SZ137s, I neglected/forgot to mention that there is a rubber tightener that you attach to five points of the cable on the front face of the wheel, which requires some effort on my part.  (I have updated and notated the date for clarity.)

We got back from our trip Wednesday night, and I was too tired/busy to post until now that I have nothing significant to add to the thread.  The weather was cold up there, but skies were clear.  The roads were almost perfectly clear, except for maybe one little patch that I saw.  The ranger at the entrance didn't even ask for evidence of carrying a traction device. 

(We ended up driving over a significant amount of the roads through the Sequoia and Kings Canyon parks, taking the Generals Hwy through to the other side, and not a single flake of snow fell that I know of.)  Since we were staying at the Wuksachi Lodge, which is almost exactly in the middle, we drove up from the 198 Hwy side the first day, stopped at the Foothills Visitor Center for a workbook for my son to get a Junior Wilderness Badge and to try to purchase tickets to the Crystal Cave.  (Sadly it was closed the days we were there!)  We also went to see the General Sherman tree on the way up, and then took the rest of the day off.  The next day we went to the Kings Canyon side, visiting the General Grant Tree and the Mark Twain Stump.  On our way home the day after we stopped by the Auto Log, drove through Tunnel Log, visited Moro Rock, and finally stopped by the Foothills Visitor Center for my Son's badge.  It was probably for the best that it wasn't snowy.  I would definitely recommend this trip as my son got to learn about nature, see the awesome size of the huge trees, gain respect for the environment/trees/nature, and even didn't want to come home/wanted to move there.

#15 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

I haven't needed chains for as long as I can remember but I like to have them available when driving in high elevations just in case.  Has anyone tried these? http://www.amazon.co...=cm_wl_huc_item   If they hold up for one use I would be happy.  Thanks. 

#16 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:45 AM

I haven't needed chains for as long as I can remember but I like to have them available when driving in high elevations just in case.  Has anyone tried these? http://www.amazon.co...=cm_wl_huc_item   If they hold up for one use I would be happy.  Thanks. 

I wanted to update this thread a little...

The Modifier's Guide (March) is more current than the latest '13 Owner's Manual (February), and it states that Class S traction devices are to be used.  This SAE specification defines certain clearances which should be adhered to for the Class.  Following this it should fit, but I'd be more comfortable with the SZ137.

AutoAnything has a 1 year lower price guarantee, but I previously did not mention this because of my personal experience attempting to get them to honor it.  (I had attempted to get a lower price match to their 20% off sale one day.)  On my first attempt, they had said that the item didn't qualify for 20% off due to MAP restrictions.  My second attempt involved me calling and inquiring like I was considering purchasing the item, having them confirm that it did qualify for the 20% off, and then telling them I wanted to price match my previous purchase.  Being Christian and having the rule "Thou shalt not lie", that experience was not a very comforting one to me.  (I felt like I was being deceptive by inquiring about the price on an item I was for sure not going to purchase.)  Recently they had another 20% off sale, and this time I emailed them in my attempt to get a price match, and I was emailed back 2 days later with a congratulations that they were going to refund me the difference!  Since I am happy with the email attempt I am okay to mention this AutoAnything guarantee.

#17 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

I wanted to update this thread a little...

The Modifier's Guide (March) is more current than the latest '13 Owner's Manual (February), and it states that Class S traction devices are to be used.  This SAE specification defines certain clearances which should be adhered to for the Class.  Following this it should fit, but I'd be more comfortable with the SZ137.

AutoAnything has a 1 year lower price guarantee, but I previously did not mention this because of my personal experience attempting to get them to honor it.  (I had attempted to get a lower price match to their 20% off sale one day.)  On my first attempt, they had said that the item didn't qualify for 20% off due to MAP restrictions.  My second attempt involved me calling and inquiring like I was considering purchasing the item, having them confirm that it did qualify for the 20% off, and then telling them I wanted to price match my previous purchase.  Being Christian and having the rule "Thou shalt not lie", that experience was not a very comforting one to me.  (I felt like I was being deceptive by inquiring about the price on an item I was for sure not going to purchase.)  Recently they had another 20% off sale, and this time I emailed them in my attempt to get a price match, and I was emailed back 2 days later with a congratulations that they were going to refund me the difference!  Since I am happy with the email attempt I am okay to mention this AutoAnything guarantee.

Thank you jzchen.  I would definitely consider the high end chains if there was much likelihood of me actually needing them.  Thank you for confirming the ones I am looking at are usable. 

#18 OFFLINE   cmwv

cmwv

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

For those thinking about the SZ137 "cable chains", I do not recommend them. Based on the posts here, I purchased a set in January to have on hand just in case. The opportunity came with a February storm. Driving the 7 miles into town--mostly down hill--from my house I encountered ice- and snow-covered roads. Once in town, I decided to put the SZ137s on for the return trip. They did get me home, but I could see that after only 7 miles, the "springs" surrounding the cables--that is the parts of the device that provide traction--were breaking into small segments. As weather conditions were getting worse, I left the SZ137s on for a round trip to town a few hours later. Once home I removed them, and to be sure the spring-like coils had all come apart. My total mileage was approximately 22. These devices are not manufactured for real world use. Fortunately Amazon was good enough to take them back and refund all but shipping charges.

#19 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

I have those SZ137's for my ford Ranger truck (4x4).  I use them to go into a field that is not plowed and drudge through deep snow with them.  To make a long story short, the spings on them and in several small pieces not a solid 1 piece spring.  I bought them 2nd hand to be honest and they work perfectly.  I assumed they are made of make little springs put onto the cable like a necklace.  If yours was a 1 piece spring, maybe over time it breaks but they work just fine.  I'll have to look again but I'm pretty sure the springs were all the same length.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 18 March 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 521 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:14 AM

For those thinking about the SZ137 "cable chains", I do not recommend them. Based on the posts here, I purchased a set in January to have on hand just in case. The opportunity came with a February storm. Driving the 7 miles into town--mostly down hill--from my house I encountered ice- and snow-covered roads. Once in town, I decided to put the SZ137s on for the return trip. They did get me home, but I could see that after only 7 miles, the "springs" surrounding the cables--that is the parts of the device that provide traction--were breaking into small segments. As weather conditions were getting worse, I left the SZ137s on for a round trip to town a few hours later. Once home I removed them, and to be sure the spring-like coils had all come apart. My total mileage was approximately 22. These devices are not manufactured for real world use. Fortunately Amazon was good enough to take them back and refund all but shipping charges.

I'm sorry to read that this was a concern for you!

I have those SZ137's for my ford Ranger truck (4x4).  I use them to go into a field that is not plowed and drudge through deep snow with them.  To make a long story short, the spings on them and in several small pieces not a solid 1 piece spring.  I bought them 2nd hand to be honest and they work perfectly.  I assumed they are made of make little springs put onto the cable like a necklace.  If yours was a 1 piece spring, maybe over time it breaks but they work just fine.  I'll have to look again but I'm pretty sure the springs were all the same length.

-=>Raja.

Someone was interested in studded tires, so i pulled out the SZ133's that I bought for my Prius v, and never used.  (To be honest, I think I remember I bought them second hand, but the person said they were never used.)  Anyways, I took a look at the "springs" and they are many little, about 1" each in length, pieces.  (If I find the SZ137's that I have somewhere I'll update.  Those, I believe, were new...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·