Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Annoying Squeak in Right Rear

inside squeaks

Best Answer stevedebi , 23 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

I thought I'd post a reply so that I could indicate a resolution.

The problem turned out to the the HVB shield, which had a bad weld on the place where it attaches. It came loose and was causing some of the plastic to squeak. The dealer figured it out by pressing down on the HVB cover and discovering that the noise stopped. They had to remove the back seats and just about all the rear interior trim to fix it. They had to order the part from Ford, so it was in the shop for a couple of days.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

Last week a squeak developed in the right rear cargo area. It only happens when the car is somewhat cold, never in hot conditions. I'm going to take it in on Friday, for two reasons. First, it is really annoying, but more importantly, there is a 330v battery back there, and I want to make sure it isn't something important. I read over in the C-Max forum about some folks who have had noises back there and it turned out to be a loose battery and that sort of thing. It sounds like something rubbing together.

BTW, I removed all items back there and it was still there. I also folded the right rear seat down, and it was still there. I  eliminated the cargo cover as a source. It may be a coincidence, but I noticed the squeak after my first fill up, so it could be the filler door, but I also found that the dealer had underinflated the tires to 34 lb (one was 32!), and I upped the inflation to 42 in each tire, so there were two things that changed right before I heard the squeak.

I'll report back when I find out more.

EDIT 20 Oct 14: The car spent all day at the dealer. I had removed everything from the rear, and the squeak was still there. They had the interior folks look at it and decided it was not anything inside, and there was no electrical problem.

It is back in the shop today to see if it might be something in the right rear suspension that is being heard inside the vehicle.

Edited by stevedebi, 20 October 2014 - 09:50 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:01 PM   Best Answer

I thought I'd post a reply so that I could indicate a resolution.

The problem turned out to the the HVB shield, which had a bad weld on the place where it attaches. It came loose and was causing some of the plastic to squeak. The dealer figured it out by pressing down on the HVB cover and discovering that the noise stopped. They had to remove the back seats and just about all the rear interior trim to fix it. They had to order the part from Ford, so it was in the shop for a couple of days.

Edited by stevedebi, 23 October 2014 - 12:02 PM.

• dr61 and Jonathan Ezor like this

#3 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

You have a good dealer, (one that would work on a squeak.)  On bumpy roads my wife's squeaks from the rear like styrofoam rubbing on plastic or something.  Really annoying!  Do you mind me asking which dealer.  Still having a My Ford Mobile issue, our dealer said it's a third party product, and I highly doubt they'd help with a squeak...

#4 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

You have a good dealer, (one that would work on a squeak.)  On bumpy roads my wife's squeaks from the rear like styrofoam rubbing on plastic or something.  Really annoying!  Do you mind me asking which dealer.  Still having a My Ford Mobile issue, our dealer said it's a third party product, and I highly doubt they'd help with a squeak...

Galpin Ford in North Hills, Roscoe exit on the north 405.

The squeak you describe is exactly what mine sounded like. As I said, it was a bad weld on the metal battery shield. They had to remove the rear seats and most of the plastic back there, fix it, and then put it all back together. But now, no more squeak.

Really, anything that has to do with the battery should get the maximum attention - that is 330v back there.

• jzchen likes this

#5 OFFLINE   dicko

dicko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationWoodstock, IL
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

My squeaks didnt stop until I applied some silicone grease to the four rubber bumpers that the rear door closes against. There is one bumper on each side of the door and 2 smaller ones down by the latch hardware.

• jzchen likes this

#6 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

Thank you!!!

(I honestly don't think the dealer's service department likes us for some reason, but we promised the finance lady we would be bringing it there for service and we're the loyal type.  But that's a different story that I don't need to get into here.)

I'm not really worried about electrocuting anything, but I am worried about vibration hurting the battery.  At least I know it is harmful to the 12V starter battery, so I'm assuming it is also the case with the traction battery.

I think we should definitely try another service department.  North Hills is a little far, but definitely worth while if they're willing to work on it! 

#7 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Y  On bumpy roads my wife's squeaks from the rear like styrofoam rubbing on plastic or something. 

That styrofoam description sounds to me (pun not intended) like door seals.  I've lubed mine with silicone spray and that gets them quiet but I've determined that they will get squeaky again anytime they get wet from a good rain or wash.  It seems once they dry out (how long?), the squeak goes away.

• jzchen likes this

#8 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:23 AM

That styrofoam description sounds to me (pun not intended) like door seals.  I've lubed mine with silicone spray and that gets them quiet but I've determined that they will get squeaky again anytime they get wet from a good rain or wash.  It seems once they dry out (how long?), the squeak goes away.

Thank you all for the advice!

It really sounds like styrofoam, that distinctive squeak you get from styrofoam rubbing on styrofoam, (or plastic I guess.  That high pitched squeak almost as if it were a mouse.)  It is so loud to me that if the door seals or trunk seals were doing it, I would guess I should be able to see the door/trunk loose and be concerned that it might fall off soon!  I must confess I haven't removed everything to check though...

I've been kind of frustrated with the My Ford Mobile issue going on for so long, that I just didn't think I could deal with even asking the dealer about a squeak.  When I first got the Sync updated, the website was still asking me to bring the car in for service.  My wife, son, and I went in explaining exactly what happened, and we sat waiting for so long....

Probably best to try another dealer.  Will post an update when I find out more.....

#9 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

Well, that is exactly what mine sounded like, and it was definitely not the seals, it was a bad weld on the battery shield.

#10 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:14 AM

My wife got an appointment with another dealer yesterday, (for the same day!  She's able to do that at the selling dealer but as mentioned seems like we would have issues there.)

She has to use another car to get to work today.  The SA asked if we bought the car there, and since we didn't couldn't give her a loaner.  He said it would take until today to finish:

MFM issue

Emissions recall

Squeak in rear

Occasional double tap upon braking from less than 20 mph

After Level 2 charge, says 17 miles, when it used to be 22/Decreased battery range.

As well as check tire pressure.

(Gonna be a busy day so maybe we'll get the car back tomorrow...)

#11 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

Well, that is exactly what mine sounded like, and it was definitely not the seals, it was a bad weld on the battery shield.

I should have added that my squeaks seem to come from areas around the upper part of the car (front and rear).  I originally thought it was caused by the service department during the minor headliner recall.

#12 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

My squeaks didnt stop until I applied some silicone grease to the four rubber bumpers that the rear door closes against. There is one bumper on each side of the door and 2 smaller ones down by the latch hardware.

Hey guys,

Please keep an ear out for it, and contact me if it happens again. I’ll be glad to take look into this further.

My wife got an appointment with another dealer yesterday, (for the same day!  She's able to do that at the selling dealer but as mentioned seems like we would have issues there.)

She has to use another car to get to work today.  The SA asked if we bought the car there, and since we didn't couldn't give her a loaner.  He said it would take until today to finish:

MFM issue

Emissions recall

Squeak in rear

Occasional double tap upon braking from less than 20 mph

After Level 2 charge, says 17 miles, when it used to be 22/Decreased battery range.

As well as check tire pressure.

(Gonna be a busy day so maybe we'll get the car back tomorrow...)

Thanks for the update, jzchen.

Please let me know how it goes at the dealer, and if you need me just give me a shout. I’ll be happy to look into options to help at that time!  :smile2: 

Tricia 

#13 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:05 AM

Thanks Tricia,

I've been kind of hopeless after all this time....

Got the car back on the 28th.

They did note the squeak and ordered a panel and rear seal, but have yet to hear it came in.

MFM is the same.  Got an ESN to try but it was the SIRIUS ESN and it is an 8 digit ESN that is required.  I checked last time I reported this issue to a dealer.  It was back in October.  The problem was noted as a Navigation issue!.....

Emission recall done, so I don't have to worry they'll renew my wife's plates.

Tapping is gone, but I did see a post about transmission sounds in another thread.  They did not hear this, but I understand as it doesn't always happen.

Strange thing is, we had a big load in the car from Costco and family over the weekend.  5 bags of 50lbs water softener salt, 4 35 pack 16.9 oz water case.  5 PACT 12 bottle packages, 4 people...  Squeaking was non existant on the ride home, as well as much decreased driving around after.  I'm beginning to feel the impending live with it feeling I am getting with the MFM....  (I guess at least it is hardly heard now/much less annoying.)

Any thoughts/help?

#14 OFFLINE   mrc59

mrc59

• 2 posts
  • LocationMetro DC

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Me too!  Glad to find this symptom described in the forum.  It's like having two styrofoam coolers in the back seat (right side).  I giggled the high voltage wires and sheet metal plate, but can't stop the noise.  Sometimes with the right road conditions and temperature, the noise is deafening!  I'll ask the dealer about it when I go in for service.

I bumped the high voltage disconnect while the wife was driving me around so I could try to locate the squeak.  Car stopped dead.  Now the check engine light is on, but it runs.

#15 OFFLINE   ecraigsmit

ecraigsmit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:37 AM

I've got the exact same sound. Only really notice it when temps <50F. Gets bad when temps <30F. Very annoying when temps <10F. JZCHEN did the dealer ever fit it? Was it same issue that STEVEDEBI had?  Thanks, Craig

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#16 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

Me too!  Glad to find this symptom described in the forum.  It's like having two styrofoam coolers in the back seat (right side).  I giggled the high voltage wires and sheet metal plate, but can't stop the noise.  Sometimes with the right road conditions and temperature, the noise is deafening!  I'll ask the dealer about it when I go in for service.

I bumped the high voltage disconnect while the wife was driving me around so I could try to locate the squeak.  Car stopped dead.  Now the check engine light is on, but it runs.

Yeah, that is exactly the sound. Styrofoam coolers rubbing together. Couldn't figure it out at all, and it took a couple of trips to the dealer before they found it. If it is the same problem, I think they had to replace the shield.

Edited by stevedebi, 07 December 2015 - 09:29 AM.

• Jonathan Ezor likes this

#17 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:12 AM

Well, glad I came back to this forum, because the squeak has just recently come back, and this kind of reminded me I might want to update...

Mine seems to have come from the rear "trunk" seal.  When we originally got the car back I was still irritated by the sound, even after they replaced the rear door panel and the seal IIRC.  (I thought I had the same issue as stevedebi, but alas, I don't think so.)  At Big Lots I found this silicone spray that specifically said it works for rubber seal squeaks.  I followed the instructions on the aerosol spray, and wiped away the excess because it says it might damage paint, and low and behold the sound has been gone until recently.  (I think I may have repeated application once early on.)  The car has gotten pretty dirty lately, so it might due to the seal area getting dirty again.  Definitely try to take a look at the area around/in contact with the trunk seal, keep it clean, and apply some silicone squeak spray.

Edited by jzchen, 08 December 2015 - 02:18 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

Well, glad I came back to this forum, because the squeak has just recently come back, and this kind of reminded me I might want to update...

Mine seems to have come from the rear "trunk" seal.  When we originally got the car back I was still irritated by the sound, even after they replaced the rear door panel and the seal IIRC.  (I thought I had the same issue as stevedebi, but alas, I don't think so.)  At Big Lots I found this silicone spray that specifically said it works for rubber seal squeaks.  I followed the instructions on the aerosol spray, and wiped away the excess because it says it might damage paint, and low and behold the sound has been gone until recently.  (I think I may have repeated application once early on.)  The car has gotten pretty dirty lately, so it might due to the seal area getting dirty again.  Definitely try to take a look at the area around/in contact with the trunk seal, keep it clean, and apply some silicone squeak spray.

Well, it is good to know that there were not a lot of those bad welds on the battery cover!

• jzchen likes this

#19 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

I got a brand new 2017 C-Max, and within a couple weeks it started squeaking like this, almost all the time.  Really loud, like the aforementioned Styrofoam coolers rubbing together.  The slightest jiggle would cause it to squeak, even backing slowly out of the garage over the little 1 inch concrete lip.

I took everything out of the car, still squeaked.  All four doors and hatchback open, still squeaked.

Thinking it might be something major like stevedebi's battery shield, I made an appointment to take it to the dealer.

Within hours of calling the dealer, a garage door spring broke and I couldn't get in to my charger, so I took out the 120 V charger and used that.  With the 120 V charger removed from its compartment under the floor, the squeaking stopped completely!

Earlier jzchen described the sound as "like styrofoam rubbing on plastic or something".  It seems the charger (plastic) was jiggling around in its custom-fitted cradle, which is made of - you guessed it - Styrofoam!

#20 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon.  I put the charge cable back in and it started squeaking again, seeming to confirm my theory.  But when I took the charger back out, it kept right on squeaking.  Now with the cable and door completely out of the car it still squeaks.  Back to the drawing board...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·