Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

%$#@!!! Barely rubbed a curb...any concerns with wheel repair?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

In my effort to keep my new car looking new forever, I almost always park far away from the building, and often in the furthest spot, which is generally next to a curb. Last night, when pulling out from a spot next to a curb, I turned too soon, and my wheel rubbed against the curb. I didn't hear any metal rubbing sounds, so I thought/hoped it was just the tire that rubbed. No such luck. My husband checked it out when we got home, and sure enough, there's about one square inch of "curb rash" on the wheel. 

Not having dealt with anything like this before, I assumed that if I wanted this problem to go away, I'd have to buy a new wheel...which would be silly. But after doing some research, I see that I can get it repaired for a reasonable price locally, and I'd like to do that. A few questions for you guys/gals:

• Do you know if this is something a dealer would do? Or do I have to go to shop that "specializes" in this type of thing?

• Are there any issues/concerns I should be aware of? For example, paint color matching (on the wheel)? Anything related to removal of the wheel and putting it back on?

• What am I not thinking of?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

Dealerships rarely do custom work such as this and would rather sell you a new wheel (at a nice profit).  Best bet is an independent specialized company, get an estimate, and compare that to good used wheels on ebay (don't forget shipping and mounting costs). 

A third option that I'm not recommending to you but rather for the DIY'ers out there especially when it's a small area is to remove the wheel from the vehicle and file or dremel the surface smooth and use some matching touch up paint.   I've done this to numerous motorcycle wheels over the years which were even easier as they were black.  Even folks who are sloppy with a tire machine can really scratch up a rim.

Fourth option:  live with it and let it gnaw at you everytime you look at it.....   :hysterical3:

Edited by fotomoto, 10 October 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

Thanks, fotomoto. I called the dealer's body shop about another issue (on a different car) and asked about the wheel. He said he has a guy come in to do that work, and it's $150. I can certainly live with that. Hopefully "the guy" is from one of the specialty shops; I assume he does decent work, or they wouldn't continue to hire him for these jobs.

While I have a Dremel, I only use it to file my dog's nails...so that should give you some idea of my DIY skills! (And my husband's DIY skills? Well, he's an accountant...I'll just leave it at that.)   :smile2:    

As much as I'd like to, I don't think I can deal with your fourth option when there's a relatively inexpensive fix available. Once it's done, I'll share some "before" and "after" photos.

#4 OFFLINE   Binky

Binky

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Volt Premier

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yeah the people they outsource it to do that stuff for a living.  I scratched two rims on my Mazdaspeed3 during some irresponsible behavior and utilized their services in the past.  They do a good job.  Won't be perfect, but you'd also likely be the only one to notice afterwards.

#5 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

Cool. Thanks, Binky.

#6 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

You'll never see it at 60 mph :shift:

• SSE likes this

#7 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

In my effort to keep my new car looking new forever, I almost always park far away from the building, and often in the furthest spot, which is generally next to a curb. Last night, when pulling out from a spot next to a curb, I turned too soon, and my wheel rubbed against the curb. I didn't hear any metal rubbing sounds, so I thought/hoped it was just the tire that rubbed. No such luck. My husband checked it out when we got home, and sure enough, there's about one square inch of "curb rash" on the wheel. 

Not having dealt with anything like this before, I assumed that if I wanted this problem to go away, I'd have to buy a new wheel...which would be silly. But after doing some research, I see that I can get it repaired for a reasonable price locally, and I'd like to do that. A few questions for you guys/gals:

• Do you know if this is something a dealer would do? Or do I have to go to shop that "specializes" in this type of thing?

• Are there any issues/concerns I should be aware of? For example, paint color matching (on the wheel)? Anything related to removal of the wheel and putting it back on?

• What am I not thinking of?

Can you post a picture?

#8 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

Wheels America has a location close enough to me that I bring wheels to them.  There is also Wheel Collision in PA that usually has an ad in car magazines.  Can't tell your location so I'm not sure if one of these places are close to you.  I couldn't tell the difference between a new wheel and a repaired OEM wheel from my experience.  (Had a little trouble with color on BBS/aftermarket wheels.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·