Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Climate energy usage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Philip Thi

Philip Thi

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLA/OC
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

It finally cooled down here to the mid 70s and I set the AC to about 74. I know it uses more energy to cool down the cabin and battery to an acceptable level when you first start the car and usage was shown past the second line (2000watts?). 

However, when I changed the thermostat to 72 degrees, the power usage went down! At 73 degrees it goes back up (not quite to the second line but definitely more than at 72 degrees. Doesn't make sense. Is the climate energy usage accurate or is it telling me something else?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 392 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

When you raise the AC temperature, the car sometimes turns on the electric heater.  This will cause a significant increase in energy used by climate control.

Edited by larryh, 27 September 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

You simply can't rely on the settings on the A/C either. I can set my A/C to 73F, and it sometimes quits cooling at 78F. It depends a lot on OAT as to actual cabin temperature and fan speed. I trust my SGII cabin temperature X-Gauge, and set the OEM gauge accordingly. I've had to set the temperature to 69F to get the cabin down to 73F many times. 

Gary

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

I set one the "My View" displays to the climate usage meter for this specific reason.  I've found the closer the HVAC temp setting gets to ambient the more kW usage which may seem counterintuitive.  This is due to the electric heater being activated to temperate the incoming cold a/c air.  Lowering the temperature setting a degree or two stops the heater usage and the kW usage drops dramatically.  

#5 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

I set one the "My View" displays to the climate usage meter for this specific reason.  I've found the closer the HVAC temp setting gets to ambient the more kW usage which may seem counterintuitive.  This is due to the electric heater being activated to temperate the incoming cold a/c air.  Lowering the temperature setting a degree or two stops the heater usage and the kW usage drops dramatically.  

That's true, but why would anyone want to run the HVAC in perfect weather with a plug-in EV?

Gary

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

That's true, but why would anyone want to run the HVAC in perfect weather with a plug-in EV?

Humidity.      :banghead:

#7 OFFLINE   Philip Thi

Philip Thi

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLA/OC

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

I run the AC on freeways here to because of the noise and fumes.

So what's the concensus...keep it at 72 and aim for lowest usage, per the meter or think intuitively that in warm weather, 73 should use less energy than 72?

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

No, set it for whatever temperature you want that is lower than whatever temp causes the heat to kick in.  Usually that is not in the 60's and in the 70's, so if you set the AC to 70 you're most likely not going to engage heat.  Look at climate and leave it up to watch it.  It should automatically drop slowly as the car cools.  If you're comfortable already raise the temp a degree or two and if its OK you will get a drop in climate power not a rise, OK meaning you lowered AC usage and not engaged the heat.

You don't need the scangage to do everything in this car, looking at the user supplied gages in the car and with a little intuition you can figure out exactly what is going on.

=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 27 September 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   thedak

thedak

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

71-72 seems to be the magical normal temperature for juice use

Edited by thedak, 27 September 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Are you using AUTO A/C mode. What's it do in manual mode or haven't you tried it ?

#11 OFFLINE   Philip Thi

Philip Thi

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLA/OC

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

Are you using AUTO A/C mode. What's it do in manual mode or haven't you tried it ?

I've been using AUTO A/C mode...I'll try manual A/C today to see if there's a difference.

The main difference  seems to be 72 to 73 degrees. If it's high 70s or low 80s outside; a change from 73 to 72 in the cabin decreases the energy use (per the bar). This is after the car has been driving for awhile (10+ minutes in AUTO mode without ICE turning on).

If the heater is turning on, what is it warming? I would assume the HVB is already at optimum, or over temperature.

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

If the heater is turning on its trying to warm the air coming into the car to raise your temperature inside the vehicle to the new higher set point.  Basically its heating the AC air.

-=>Raja.

#13 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

I run the AC on freeways here to because of the noise and fumes.

So what's the concensus...keep it at 72 and aim for lowest usage, per the meter or think intuitively that in warm weather, 73 should use less energy than 72?

What I do is keep an eye on two things:

1. The climate meter, which tells me how much power the system is using. It is available on the Energy Use screen, and I have customized the My Display to have the full use meter (climate and other) on that screen.

2. The battery range. Several times I've seen a sudden decrease in range (by 3-4 miles), and I discovered that either the A/C came on (it sometimes does that when the power switch is pressed, but not always), or that the heater came on because I inadvertently set the inside temp to one that was higher than the outside air temperature (OAT).

I'm still learning my vehicle, but those are what I use at the moment.

I use these togeter; the range will decrease and I check the climate guage to see what is going on.

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

But here is a weird one I saw last night.

The engine is hot, you're on the highway.

Outside Temps dropped to 58 or so.  You turn up the climate from 62 to 72 figuring it can use engine heat.

It seems to, the climate energy screen does not show any draw - still 0 out of 5kw range, but the miles drop by 1 mile.

Why?  If you turn the temp back down to the 68 or so, the 1 mile range goes back up as you blow 58 degree air into the cabin.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 29 September 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Mc2guy

Mc2guy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDMV
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

One reason the cabin heat would kick in is for moisture control.  As with most commercial building (and new home units), the A/C will chill the air past the required set point in order to knock out more moisture from the air (think condensation on a cup of ice water).  Then the system will reheat the chilled air slightly so you receive cool dry air vs. cool moist air, the latter of which can lead to discomfort and condensation on the interior of the car.  This "should" be dictated by the specific humidity of the ambient air (I have no direct knowledge of how Ford has programmed their climate system).  In theory, the closer you are to the dew point the more the cabin air would need to chill and reheat the air.

Alternatively (or perhaps additionally), a variable speed compressor on the AC would allow the unit to remove "only" the required BTUs given the delta between the ambient and interior temps.  However, If a single, or even a non-variable multistage compressor is used, then it is likely that the compressor is over-chilling the air due to simply having more power applied than necessary given the thermal load, leading to the required reheat to reach the temperature set point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·