Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Daytime Running Lamps

drl

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

Apparently lots of people like to turn on lights early.  Was driving home tonight and noticed it in great numbers.  To my right was the sun just on the horizon above the tree line with plenty of daylight, but oncoming traffic I'd say 8 out of 10 cars had their lights on.

I made it all the way home without any lights, was going to shoot a little video to show you guys how unnecessary it was with all the ambient light but decided its just the way it is and I'm not going to worry about it.

The point of this is that it seems that alot of people like to turn on lights during the day or early before sunset.  I never took the time to count and notice how many do it, tonight I did so just reporting back to you guys.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 14 October 2014 - 03:43 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

Apparently lots of people like to turn on lights early.  Was driving home tonight and noticed it in great numbers.  To my right was the sun just on the horizon above the tree line with plenty of daylight, but oncoming traffic I'd say 8 out of 10 cars had their lights on.

I made it all the way home without any lights, was going to shoot a little video to show you guys how unnecessary it was with all the ambient light but decided its just the way it is and I'm not going to worry about it.

The point of this is that it seems that alot of people like to turn on lights during the day or early before sunset.  I never took the time to count and notice how many do it, tonight I did so just reporting back to you guys.

-=>Raja.

Don't you think many cars have auto lights mode and use it? I use auto mode in my Explorer, but I don't in my Energi. It's all about safety and why motorcycles must keep their lights on all the time in Florida. When my wife drives my Energi, she turns the HVAC on auto as well as the lights as she is never concentrating on driving. That's okay, because she has a clean driving record without accidents.     

Gary

#43 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

I was looking to see if they are DRL or full lights.  I would say out of all the cars I saw only 1 that I can remember had distinct DRL on as the back end was not lit when it went by. The rest were all lit, but the sun was still setting so I believe those people actually turned the lights on, auto lights might be way too early for them unless the sensor is triggered early.  I mean if you turned on your lights, you couldn't see them on the road or that the dash is lit.  It was that bright and the trees were orange from the sunlight.

I never turn mine on that early even in all the regular cars that I've driven before the Cmax.  As a hypermiler, I would expect that you wouldn't turn them on either until it was necessary - I think you can lose up to 30mpge with headlights on.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 14 October 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   nm6r

nm6r

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSacramento, CA
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

I picked up our new C-Max Energi earlier this week.  There is a menu to turn on "Daytime Lights".  :-)

#45 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

Where is that option nm6r?  Might be new to 2015 models? 

-=>Raja.

#46 OFFLINE   nm6r

nm6r

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

Yes, it is new on the 2015 models from what I have been reading,

As I recall, it is in the same menu set as the headlight delay (Home Light).

As a side note, the DRL are activated in the Auto mode only.  They are off if the switch is in the off position.

Ray

#47 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

I picked up our new C-Max Energi earlier this week.  There is a menu to turn on "Daytime Lights".  :-)

Yeah, go ahead, rub it in. I can't get it on my 2014. At least for 2015 they added the capability, and made it operator selectable, like it should be.

#48 OFFLINE   engnrng

engnrng

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 143 posts
  • Locationventura
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:303A

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, go ahead, rub it in. I can't get it on my 2014. At least for 2015 they added the capability, and made it operator selectable, like it should be.

OK, wouldn't it be great marketing for Ford and quiet the complainers (Consumer Reports) about the electronics and software if they sent prior model year owners a software update to include any new software features? 

• dr61 likes this

#49 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

OK, wouldn't it be great marketing for Ford and quiet the complainers (Consumer Reports) about the electronics and software if they sent prior model year owners a software update to include any new software features? 

I have mentioned that to the service reps here. They could at least allow the dealers to turn it on for prior year models. That would entail a software change at this point, since they deliberately removed the capability with the 2014 updates.

#50 OFFLINE   RonP

RonP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMax Energi

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

When I bought my CMax a year and half ago, I almost killed the deal. The service managers fix was to paint the auto headlight sensor black and leave the switch in auto mode.

GM have probably saved many more lives with DRLs than the few deaths due to defective ignition switches. US should have followed Canada's lead.

I'm thinking of trading for a Volt! If I ever got hit it will probably a pavement colored F250 pulling a boat trailer.

I'll check wiring diagrams to see if I can wire my eldom used fog lights to burn when in drive.

#51 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

When I bought my CMax a year and half ago, I almost killed the deal. The service managers fix was to paint the auto headlight sensor black and leave the switch in auto mode.

GM have probably saved many more lives with DRLs than the few deaths due to defective ignition switches. US should have followed Canada's lead.

I'm thinking of trading for a Volt! If I ever got hit it will probably a pavement colored F250 pulling a boat trailer.

I'll check wiring diagrams to see if I can wire my eldom used fog lights to burn when in drive.

Why not just leave the headlights on? The BCM can be programmed to turn the fog lights on all the time, if your car is equipped with them. But not all dealers will do this.

#52 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:50 PM

You really think it makes that much of a difference? I've been driving all my life without DRL never been a problem. I can easily turn the lights on during bad weather when I think I need them, otherwise DRL are just burning your battery and losing miles, lights subtract 10 to 20 mpge from your performance.

Just seems like to me you're going overboard too much giving up the car because it doesn't have DRL...

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 30 March 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:48 AM

You really think it makes that much of a difference? I've been driving all my life without DRL never been a problem. I can easily turn the lights on during bad weather when I think I need them, otherwise DRL are just burning your battery and losing miles, lights subtract 10 to 20 mpge from your performance.

Just seems like to me you're going overboard too much giving up the car because it doesn't have DRL...

-=>Raja.

We've been through this before. Oncoming cars are way more visible with DRL. I want to be visible to other drivers here in the desert regions.  I would not give up the car because of it, but had I known it was not available, I might not have bought the car in the first place. I had read that the DRL could be enabled by the dealer, but Ford deliberately removed the option in the 2014.

Edited by stevedebi, 31 March 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

Ok no worries Steve.   I guess you could cover up the daylight sensor and leave them in auto all the time and they will come one for you, I know its just a workaround but it should work and save you from having to turn them on manually every time.

-=>Raja.

#55 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

Ok no worries Steve.   I guess you could cover up the daylight sensor and leave them in auto all the time and they will come one for you, I know its just a workaround but it should work and save you from having to turn them on manually every time.

-=>Raja.

Raja,

No that would leave the tail lights on, which is confusing for cars in the daytime who are coming up behind me. I don't turn on the headlights during the day time.

#56 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

Raja,

No that would leave the tail lights on, which is confusing for cars in the daytime who are coming up behind me. I don't turn on the headlights during the day time.

Why not comsider afermarket running lights Steve?

http://www.amazon.co...ning lights led

Gary

#57 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:25 AM

Why not comsider afermarket running lights Steve?

http://www.amazon.co...ning lights led

Gary

Gary,

At the moment I'm leasing, but I will probably buy the car at the lease end. While I'm leasing I don't want to do any permanent mods. I appreciate the suggestion.

But additionally, I'm leery of putting any additional electronics on the system due to the complicated way Ford integrated all those electronic sub systems.  Still, I may consider it later.

#58 OFFLINE   RocketRod

RocketRod

• 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSidney, Iowa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

I have a 2013 Energy and my local dealer said he could not turn the DRLs on.  It would be nice to know if this is a lack of knowledge on the part of the service techs or if the capability has truly been removed.  

#59 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

I have a 2013 Energy and my local dealer said he could not turn the DRLs on.  It would be nice to know if this is a lack of knowledge on the part of the service techs or if the capability has truly been removed.  

It would depend on if the CPU has been flashed. If not, the BCM has a setting for DRL. If they have flashed the computer to update to 2014, the BCM doesn't have the capability.

But Ford has also been lying to it's dealers, claiming it is illegal to turn them on. It is illegal to hack the BCM, but if the capability exists in the BCM control software to turn on, it isn't illegal for a dealer to use a software program that the manufacturer provided to enable the feature.

#60 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• 544 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

It would depend on if the CPU has been flashed. If not, the BCM has a setting for DRL. If they have flashed the computer to update to 2014, the BCM doesn't have the capability.

But Ford has also been lying to it's dealers, claiming it is illegal to turn them on. It is illegal to hack the BCM, but if the capability exists in the BCM control software to turn on, it isn't illegal for a dealer to use a software program that the manufacturer provided to enable the feature.

Legally, I'm not sure why it would be considered hacking to enable a feature on your module, well, I guess for a purchased Energi.  I don't remember signing any license agreement with Ford regarding the use of their BCM programming, specifically stating that modifications are not allowed.  It may void your warranty, but I would think this would be considered "aftermarket" for legal purposes.  If Ford were to consider legal action against you, it would be a waste of time for Ford to come after you for "hacking DRL function."  You are attempting to improve the safety of your vehicle.  Most of the "hacking" regarded to as illegal is for copying proprietary functions.

Anyways, I have a similar issue with a 2012 Toyota Prius v.  It does not have DRLs.  Modifying the fuse box with a DRL relay and relay block is the "factory" solution, but I never got brave enough to disassemble the car enough to remove/open the fuse box.  Definitely would kiss my warranty goodbye.  Since I have been researching for that, here's a possible solution:

https://www.sylvania...ning-Light.aspx

It is currently being sold if you search under OSRAM LEDriving FOG DRL.  It uses LEDs for decreased energy use, provides added cornering light functionality as well as retaining fog light function and adding the desired DRL function.  I only wish the fog light portion was yellow, as I have some night blindness and personally believe yellow fog lights work best for fog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·