Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Daytime Running Lamps

drl

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Steve, there is a guy that got his C-Max DRL turned on by the dealership I use for $100. It appears that the method was changed, but it can be done by some dealers. Here is what he posted to me:

Gary,

Thanks for the Tip on the Window Tint.  I use Tint King on Route 1 in Lake Park because I prefer "3M Films".  If you want you (factory) DRL`s enabled, they will do it for you on Northlake Blvd.  Had my 2013 C-Max SE Hybrid done there.  Took less then a half hour.  Was $100 charge.  Just like a Jeweler, your paying for the knowledge, not the actual labor.

He posted this on the Blue Oval Forum.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks, but Ford removed the menu option for the 2014 models; I'm not sure exactly when. Probably when they reprogrammed to eliminate MPGe from the menus. My guess is that someone at Ford corporate thought that any energy use would reduce the MPG, even by a fraction, and so they removed the option from the BCM.

I've decided not to pursue the SG method either; that would in fact be hacking into the BCM, which is against the law.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

Gary,

Thanks, but Ford removed the menu option for the 2014 models; I'm not sure exactly when. Probably when they reprogrammed to eliminate MPGe from the menus. My guess is that someone at Ford corporate thought that any energy use would reduce the MPG, even by a fraction, and so they removed the option from the BCM.

I've decided not to pursue the SG method either; that would in fact be hacking into the BCM, which is against the law.

Steve

In the 2015 Energi Specific section of this forum, I posted a copy of my son's '15 Window Sticker. It says DRL is configurable. Looks like the '14 model was not or it didn't give that as an option.

Gary

#23 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

Steve

In the 2015 Energi Specific section of this forum, I posted a copy of my son's '15 Window Sticker. It says DRL is configurable. Looks like the '14 model was not or it didn't give that as an option.

Gary

I just checked mine, and that wording is not there. Hopefully I can have the dealer flash an upgade at some point.

Can one of the Ford representatives please make a request that Ford update the 2014 software to make DRL possible?

If not, it would mean that I have the only year - 2014 - that cannot have DRL turned on.

Edited by stevedebi, 03 October 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   campngolf

campngolf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNorCal
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

Can one of the Ford representatives please make a request that Ford update the 2014 software to make DRL possible?

+1 - It would be a very nice option to have.

#25 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

I'm the other way, I'm glad I dont' have DRL, I wouldn't want to waste 150w or so on headlights on all the time cutting into my range.  In fact I might be one of the later people who turn their lights on at night . I start with the parking lights first for 10 minutes or so, and then the headlights all of which is minutes after sunset, not before.  By the time my headlights come on its almost dark enough to need them.  I never turn them on if I can still see just fine without.

-=>Raja.

#26 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

I'm the other way, I'm glad I dont' have DRL, I wouldn't want to waste 150w or so on headlights on all the time cutting into my range.  In fact I might be one of the later people who turn their lights on at night . I start with the parking lights first for 10 minutes or so, and then the headlights all of which is minutes after sunset, not before.  By the time my headlights come on its almost dark enough to need them.  I never turn them on if I can still see just fine without.

-=>Raja.

Raja,

I can understand wanting to squeeze every possible bit of energy! However, we are only speaking of the option of turning them on, not mandating it on. From the description on the window sticker, I'm guessing it is going to be an option on the setting display, rather than a dealer thing.

Where did you get the 150w number? I think it would only draw 10 watts or so, based on the LED bulbs I have at home. It is 80% less powerful than the headlights, if you know what that is (I don't).

#27 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:41 AM

I asked a friend for data on certain accesories with a scangage -- this is what he wrote me:

I measured the following power being consumed by the DC to DC converter:

Accessories off - 292 watts
Headlights on - 500 watts
Headlights/fog lights on - 688 watts
Radio on - 275 watts
Fan on high - 659 watts
Fan on low - 331 watts
Fan on low/driver seat warmer on high - 443 watts

So the energy consumption is:

Headlights - 208 watts.
Headlights plus fog lights - 396 watts
Radio uses negligible power.  Note the amplifier is always on.
Fan on high - 384 watts.
Fan on low - 56 watts.
Fan on low/driver seat warmer on high - 151 watts

Bottom line here, radio is free, fan vent on low is a good low energy option.

-=>Raja.

#28 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

-=>Raja.

Sorry Raja, I can't agree with prioritizing saving EV over safety.  Turning on the headlights (not parking lights) 30 minutes before sundown until 30 minutes after sunrise is required by law in California and other states. Besides being unsafe driving your car with poor visibility, you could also be ticketed, just to save a half-mile EV.  I have the Ruby Red color, and by sundown I am invisible to other cars without lighting.  I let the auto lights take over.  BTW, Parking lights are not used as such in the USA - in England you are required by law to turn and leave on parking lights when you park on the edge of the road and leave the car.

Edited by dontfret, 04 October 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

I asked a friend for data on certain accesories with a scangage -- this is what he wrote me:

OK, so the DRL would use 41 watts? That seems rather high, since my 60 watt equivilent LEDs at home run around 10w.

I may have to hook up my SGII one of these days, although the real proof for me would be driving with them.

However, I value the safety more. I was noticing just this morning how much better I noticed oncoming traffic if they had DRL.

Edited by stevedebi, 04 October 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Sorry Raja, I can't agree with prioritizing saving EV over safety.  Turning on the headlights (not parking lights) 30 minutes before sundown until 30 minutes after sunrise is required by law in California and other states. Besides being unsafe driving your car with poor visibility, you could also be ticketed, just to save a half-mile EV.  I have the Ruby Red color, and by sundown I am invisible to other cars without lighting.  I let the auto lights take over.  BTW, Parking lights are not used as such in the USA - in England you are required by law to turn and leave on parking lights when you park on the edge of the road and leave the car.

Dontfret,

Actually, it is lights on during darkness, when wipers are in continuous use, or visibility is less than 1000 feet.

But I agree completely - IMHO DRL are the safest option.

Edited by stevedebi, 04 October 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

In Massachusetts its the opposite of California:

"30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise."

You realize that its not dark right at sunset.  30 minutes before sunset your lights are not even seen on the road by you, not even at sunset if you know what I mean.  Sure other people can see them, but if they can't see your car without them, they got other problems...

Some people turn them on too early, or you can leave them on all the time.  I turn them on when they start to make a difference and that is usually AFTER sunset not 30 minutes before...

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 04 October 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

Raja,

Did he mention the A/C compressor and the heater? The heater especially seems to suck the power down; the seat warmers not so much. Which is what the manual also says - use the seat warmers first.

#33 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

You can see the AC compressor and Heater yourself in the climate current draw screen in the left hand side display.

It shows a bar from 0 to 5kw.

AC draws anywhere from 3000w peak (in most cases its around 2500w to start) down to about 625w when the car registers are cooled down.

Heat draws on anywhere from 5000+w peak while heating the antifreeze in the heater core (not entire radiator) down to about 2250w at best - current draw depending on fan speed and how cold it is outside.

Seat heaters are almost "free" compared to heat, with just under 100w, they draw alot less than cabin heat from the battery.

-=>Raja.

#34 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCoast
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

Interesting discussion here.  I've read analyses and opinions on DRLs that range from them being a real benefit regarding safety, to neutral, to potentially detrimental.  Here's a little blurb from Wikipedia (I know, I know - I tell my students they may NEVER cite Wikipedia, only peer-reviewed primary sources, but it's late and I just graded 48 of their lab reports) that illustrates the range of perspectives.

Numerous studies done worldwide since the 1970s have tended to conclude that daytime running lights improve safety.[2][3][4] A 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied, except for a reduction in light trucks' and vans' involvement in two-vehicle crashes by a statistically significant 5.7%.[5]

More interesting info in the same article.  In my own experience, I find that they really do improve visibility in some daytime conditions, but have absolutely no impact in others. 

The lights I absolutely hate are the blindingly bright ones that are almost painful at night.  How are they even legal?  I'm seeing them on more of the newest cars. 

#35 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

For me if visibility is bad due to heavy rain, a snow storm or fog in the daytime then I turn on my lights myself. On a regular day I turn my lights on when I can see the beams on the road. That is at least 15 minutes after sunset. I use my judgement, I am in control. To have them on day or night rain or shine 100% of the time is a waste in my opinion.

-=^Raja.

Edited by rbort, 12 October 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

For me if visibility is bad due to heavy rain, a snow storm or fog in the daytime then I turn on my lights myself. On a regular day I turn my lights on when I can see the beams on the road. That is at least 15 minutes after sunset. I use my judgement, I am in control. To have them on day or night rain or shine 100% of the time is a waste in my opinion.

-=^Raja.

Raja,

I agree with you on keeping the lights on all the time, but DRL are a different matter. For one thing, they only run the front lights, not the rear lights, and they are a much lower power output.

#37 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yeah but what do you get out of them in the daylight when there isn't any bad weather?  You think someone will not see your car without them?  Maybe if the other driver is drunk or something like that it might make a difference, maybe, but in normal everyday driving I doubt people rely on them to see other cars.

Just my opinion, if you want to turn on the lights all the time that's not an issue at all, just a personal preference.

-=>Raja.

#38 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

Yeah but what do you get out of them in the daylight when there isn't any bad weather?  You think someone will not see your car without them?  Maybe if the other driver is drunk or something like that it might make a difference, maybe, but in normal everyday driving I doubt people rely on them to see other cars.

Just my opinion, if you want to turn on the lights all the time that's not an issue at all, just a personal preference.

-=>Raja.

Raja,

DRL are not for bad weather - one should use normal lights in those situations. Out here in the desert, where the heat tends to cause the air to "roil", DRL result in a much greater visibility. Even in town, I find that I notice oncoming cars first if they are equipped with DRL.

#39 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, my father used to work in the desert.  I've been there when I was a kid, learned to drive there when I was 13 and I used to drive him to work.  You could see a mirage down the road from the heat, and the road always looked wet off in the distance.  Sure maybe you might notice a car way further back with headlights, but its too far away to matter anyways.  As it gets closer if you still can't see it because it doesn't have DRL then, well, not sure what to say...

There is no denying that you'll have greater visibility at extended distances, but it may not be that critical to be honest to see a car a mile out.

-=>Raja.

#40 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

Dontfret,

Actually, it is lights on during darkness, when wipers are in continuous use, or visibility is less than 1000 feet.

But I agree completely - IMHO DRL are the safest option.

Mea maxima culpa, read it bassackwards.  30 minutes after sundown, to 30 minutes before sundown.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·