Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Daytime Running Lamps

drl

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

On my 2014, page 73 of the owners guide provides a procedure for turning on the Daytime Running Lamps:

1. Switch the ignition on.
2. Switch the lighting control to the off,
or parking lamp position.
3. Disengage the parking brake.
4. Make sure the transmission selector
lever is not in position P.

This doesn't do anything on my vehicle. I'm a bit disappointed, I like DRL. On my 2008 FEH, the dealer was able to program the SJB to enable DRL. I had them check this morning and the option doesn't appear to be in the menus. They are checking in with Ford corporate to see if they can be permanently enabled. I know it uses up a bit of battery, but I feel safer with them on.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

It also says "If Equipped", which it isn't on US vehicles. Actually it is equipped, it's just not enabled. People have found that some dealers can be bribed to enable them, even when Ford corporate tells them no.

#3 OFFLINE   LionelLines

LionelLines

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNear LA-LA Land out on The Coast
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2014

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

Please keep us posted on the DRL situation.

With the C-MAX being a small car, the DRLs would be a safety issue.

Thanks for bringing this up (again, I think).

:smile2:

#4 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

It also says "If Equipped", which it isn't on US vehicles. Actually it is equipped, it's just not enabled. People have found that some dealers can be bribed to enable them, even when Ford corporate tells them no.

Yes, as I said the situation was the same on my Escape Hybrid. I knew it was possible because the same model is sold in Canada where it must be enabled. It was simpler to turn on there. My dealer is more than willing to enable it, they just need to figure out how.

However, I don't think the Canadian models would have the capability to turn it on and off - it is required by law and would be illegal to change. So the procedure makes no sense for a Canadian vehicle.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

I'm glad its not mandatory here.  I don't feel its necessary for me and would just burn away extra miles off the range.  You can turn the lights on manually in the daytime, or set them to come on automatically at dusk, but I guess you want them on all the time so you don't have to fiddle with the light switch at all?

-=>Raja.

#6 OFFLINE   LionelLines

LionelLines

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNear LA-LA Land out on The Coast
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2014

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

Raja ... the DRLs (say on GM or Honda vehicles) are never on at full power.  That is the beauty of having them available...automatic & safe.

#7 OFFLINE   campngolf

campngolf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNorCal
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

Like airbags, 3rd brake lights and trunk releases, DRL's will become mandatory some day and we'll say "Doh, what took so long".

#8 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

OK, I have the scoop. From what I can tell, until recently, it was possible to turn them on with the Ford laptop at the dealer. The option was under the Body Control Module. I just checked with my dealer, and the option to turn it on is no longer available. So it has to be programmed at the factory, which is done only for fleet US sales and Canada sales. Ford also said it was illegal to change options there, but I think what is illegal is to hack those modules, not to change available settings. But apparently someone at Ford is opposed to turning them on. Fair enough. Here is my response, which I will be sending to Ford through whatever complaint mechanism I can find:

I prefer Ford engineering, and I've owned four of them in the past 20 years. I'm leasing my C-Max, and I can't say if it will be economically better to buy it out or return it, but I can say one thing: I almost certaingly won't be buying another new (or used) Ford.  If they only care to implement safety features because the government makes them (in this small area), then who knows what else they went "short" on when deciding safety features.

I love my C-Max Energi, but now every morning when I turn on the car I won't think of all the great technology or neat features; I will think of not having what I consider to be an important safety item (and one I expected to be able to turn on when I bought it), and I will not like it as much.  Every time I see another brand driving next to me with DRL, I will think of what this one doesn't have - not because it can't, but because Ford refuses to allow it. The decision to not enable this on all cars, and to not allow the dealer to enable it, and further to apparently to have deliberately removed the implementation capability from the car's Ford maintenance laptop programming, tells me that Ford does not really care about safety or customer satisfaction. In particular, the removal of the capability speaks volumes to me about their corporate philosophy - "it is not mandated by the government, so it isn't implemented". That is not the kind of safety thinking upon which I want to base my life and my family's life. Yes, it is a small thing, but sometimes small things tell a lot about a person or company. The feature is standard in Canada and on fleet vehicles, so I know it was engineered into the vehicles. It could be standard, or at least a dealer option, here in the US. Ford just doesn't care. So for my next purchase, I DO care where I buy.

Obviously I also won't be recommending Fords to anyone either, and if someone asks me about the car I won't recommended it either. Ford has had several instances lately where there were safety issues that they fixed only after they were caught (even my great FEH had a steering wheel that cut power to the vehicle when turning - I fixed it and then Ford later recalled it). I thought these were individual instances; I now think that Ford corporate isn't really dedicated to safety, only business.

Fortunately my dealer also sells other brands (including Honda, my second favorite style of engineering), so hopefully they can still get my business. I really like them and the customer experience.

Edited by stevedebi, 11 September 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

To be honest steve I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.  If I was Ford and you're complaining like that I'd say it is what it is.  Ford can't sit there and make changes every time one customer wants something different.  I too would like the lane change blinker to blink more than 3 times for safety.  I think 3 times is not enough I need at least 6 to 9 times to move over slowly and evenly and give people behind me time to notice the blinker, not jerk over to get there before the blinker is out.

What if I emailed Ford and said I won't buy the car again and I'll go see Honda folks because you refuse to make a software change for me to blink the lights more than 3 times?  Yes everyone wants something and Ford did a great job with this car, but now you want DRL and I want a blinker changed from 3 to 9 for example, and someone else wants something else.  Where does it end?  Well, everyone go buy a Honda, Ford is making cars if you like them use them if not then buy something different.

My advice to you is to get in the habit to turn your lights on all the time when you drive, its one extra step after turning the car on in the day only, at night its no extra step.  Do that and be happy, the car is wonderful.  I use the lane change blinker now 2 maybe 3 times in a row to get over and that's it.  If there was a way to change it I would have, if there isn't I'm making do.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 11 September 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

Looks like it's about $20 to add after-market DRL LED lights, Amazon has several self-stick versions.  Just wire to ground and ignition fuse block.

#11 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

To be honest steve I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.  If I was Ford and you're complaining like that I'd say it is what it is.  Ford can't sit there and make changes every time one customer wants something different.  I too would like the lane change blinker to blink more than 3 times for safety.  I think 3 times is not enough I need at least 6 to 9 times to move over slowly and evenly and give people behind me time to notice the blinker, not jerk over to get there before the blinker is out.

What if I emailed Ford and said I won't buy the car again and I'll go see Honda folks because you refuse to make a software change for me to blink the lights more than 3 times?  Yes everyone wants something and Ford did a great job with this car, but now you want DRL and I want a blinker changed from 3 to 9 for example, and someone else wants something else.  Where does it end?  Well, everyone go buy a Honda, Ford is making cars if you like them use them if not then buy something different.

My advice to you is to get in the habit to turn your lights on all the time when you drive, its one extra step after turning the car on in the day only, at night its no extra step.  Do that and be happy, the car is wonderful.  I use the lane change blinker now 2 maybe 3 times in a row to get over and that's it.  If there was a way to change it I would have, if there isn't I'm making do.

-=>Raja.

I consider it less safe to run the lights all the time because those tail lights can be confused for stop lights. That is one item. The other is that the DRL use considerably less energy than the headlights. A third item is that DRL have been studied and found (by some) to be better for safety, hence the reason many manufacturers have turned it on by default for all cars. Here in a desert environment I know that I see an oncoming car sooner if it is using DRL.  No one has claimed that having more than three blinks is a recommeded safety factor.

The issue here is that Ford went to the trouble of programming DRL into the vehicle, and yet won't allow it here in the US. That is quite different from implementing some sort of customer desires ad infinitum to accomodate different tastes. (but it would be simple to allow for more blinks if they wanted to).

I appreciate your point, and your opinioin, but I respectfully disagree. But in any case it isn't about the feature, it is about Ford deactivating even the capability of turning on the feature, when there is basically no need to do so.

I won't diss the car, but I won't recommend it, or Ford. Not because of DRL, but because of their corporate philosophy.

• dontfret likes this

#12 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

Looks like it's about $20 to add after-market DRL LED lights, Amazon has several self-stick versions.  Just wire to ground and ignition fuse block.

Thanks for the idea. One thing I hesitate to do (and did not do on my Escape Hybrid) was to add anything electrical. I feel even more strongly about this on an Energi, which was carefully balanced in terms of energy use. I agree it probably won't matter, but so long as I'm under warranty I would not do it. Nice idea though.

• dontfret likes this

#13 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

I'm glad its not mandatory here.  I don't feel its necessary for me and would just burn away extra miles off the range.  You can turn the lights on manually in the daytime, or set them to come on automatically at dusk, but I guess you want them on all the time so you don't have to fiddle with the light switch at all?

-=>Raja.

If they were to implement it from the factory, I would hope it could be turned off if desired. The dealer should be able to accomodate a customer request if it did not conflict with the law. So in your case, turn it off.

#14 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

If they were to implement it from the factory, I would hope it could be turned off if desired. The dealer should be able to accomodate a customer request if it did not conflict with the law. So in your case, turn it off.

Remember Desertdog on GH when he discovered how to program SOC and many other X-gauges for the SGII? He stopped posting on GH because of gpsman1, but joined cleanmpg under the name CarlD. He is responsible for giving me the X-gauge programming for the Energi that I posted here on this forum. Ford may have blocked the laptops from turning on DRL, but Carl ask if I wanted to turn on or off systems in my FEH with my SGII to increase my MPG. It seems Carl can use the SGII to turn on or off just about everything in Fords with a SGII. I had no need to screw with the PCM to increase MPG, but Carl might be able to help you turn on DRL if it's so important to you.

Gary

#15 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

Remember Desertdog on GH when he discovered how to program SOC and many other X-gauges for the SGII? He stopped posting on GH because of gpsman1, but joined cleanmpg under the name CarlD. He is responsible for giving me the X-gauge programming for the Energi that I posted here on this forum. Ford may have blocked the laptops from turning on DRL, but Carl ask if I wanted to turn on or off systems in my FEH with my SGII to increase my MPG. It seems Carl can use the SGII to turn on or off just about everything in Fords with a SGII. I had no need to screw with the PCM to increase MPG, but Carl might be able to help you turn on DRL if it's so important to you.

Gary

Gary,

It is important to me. Can you provide me with his contact information via PM?

Note that on the FEH it was available via the SJB, but maybe he has some magic for me. I still have my SG from my FEH.

#16 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

Gary,

It is important to me. Can you provide me with his contact information via PM?

Note that on the FEH it was available via the SJB, but maybe he has some magic for me. I still have my SG from my FEH.

Steve, just join http://www.cleanmpg.com/ and go to this thread http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=398733#post398733

He may or may not respond, but ask the question to CarlD. Use my name if you want, but I have no other personal information on him. You can also just PM him on that forum.

Gary

#17 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Steve, just join http://www.cleanmpg.com/ and go to this thread http://www.cleanmpg....8733#post398733

He may or may not respond, but ask the question to CarlD. Use my name if you want, but I have no other personal information on him. You can also just PM him on that forum.

Gary

Gary,

Great, I'm already a member. Thanks.

#18 OFFLINE   smangerer

smangerer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C max energi

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

If you want your DRL's to be visible during the day you should spend closer to $100 for your led's.

I posted most of my findings on the hybrid forum.

#19 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

Ok folks, I've calmed down a bit. I still don't like the lack of DRL by corporate decision, and still plan to complain. But I want to apologize for the tone of the first message. I like the car, and I know some folks get upset when anything is complained about. I'm still not convinced about the corporate philosophy, and I'm still not sure what I'll do when the car comes off lease.

I appreciate the responses and suggestions.

#20 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

Steve, there is a guy that got his C-Max DRL turned on by the dealership I use for $100. It appears that the method was changed, but it can be done by some dealers. Here is what he posted to me:

Gary,

Thanks for the Tip on the Window Tint.  I use Tint King on Route 1 in Lake Park because I prefer "3M Films".  If you want you (factory) DRL`s enabled, they will do it for you on Northlake Blvd.  Had my 2013 C-Max SE Hybrid done there.  Took less then a half hour.  Was $100 charge.  Just like a Jeweler, your paying for the knowledge, not the actual labor.

He posted this on the Blue Oval Forum.

Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·