Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Dirt Roads

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffkruse

jeffkruse

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationNM
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

How is the clearance on the Energi?  Can I drive on some bad dirt roads?  Or is this a strictly pavement only vehicle?

I know this is a hard question to answer and the car is not a jeep but how much do I have to baby it?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   GS Dave

GS Dave

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

Not much ground clearance at all.  I have only gone on very, very smooth dirt roads.  If you have any kind of ruts, stay clear.

#3 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

My car has about 6" clearance to the plastic cover below the oil pan, unloaded.  About normal for a passenger car.  It does not have 'SUV' or 'crossover' level of clearance. 

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,261 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Jeff,

Since you're from NM, you might know of this road in the Lincoln National Forest:  Upper Rio Penasco Road.  It leads to Bluff Springs and is unpaved for much of the way yet I had no problems driving with it four occupants to reach the small waterfall.  Picture is taken in the "parking lot".   :camera:

null_zps0f592c34.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

I recently climbed Brian Head Peak in Cedar Breaks National Monumnet UT.  The road transitions from blacktop to gravel to dirt to some relatively gnarly large gravel/small rock (nothing bigger than and egg.  The clearance didn't bother me or the NRG at all - but I kept worrying about how I would handle a flat tire on such a remote road, so turned back to descend.  

#6 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

I've taken it on some dirt roads.  It's fairly good for a street car, with shorter front and rear overhangs than many.  Obviously not as good as a Jeep or even a Subaru.  Front wheel drive can be problematic when going up hills on loose dirt or gravel; wheels slip very easily.  I carry a full size spare when driving in the boonies.  I forget now the terms of the roadside assistance with this car but most of them only cover paved roads.  It will cost a lot and take a long time to get service in remote areas.

Edited by viajero, 01 September 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,150 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

Here is a story for you...  One time I got my truck (4x4) stuck in a ditch in the snow off of a dirt road.  I was trying to pack down the snow for my buddy so he can get in with his subaru all wheel drive (driving back and forth) when I slowly slid off the dirt road in the ditch on the side.  I called AAA to come pull me out, the guy said the truck is not on the road (main road) so I can't help you.  What?  It was like 200 feet off the road before the gate to the field we were going into, but he refused service.  I had to shovel my way around the snow and I was able to climb back up the ditch to the dirt road with my 4x4 ranger.

Moral of the story is that AAA is useless off the main (paved) roads.

-=>Raja.

#8 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

Here is a story for you...  One time I got my truck (4x4) stuck in a ditch in the snow off of a dirt road.  I was trying to pack down the snow for my buddy so he can get in with his subaru all wheel drive (driving back and forth) when I slowly slid off the dirt road in the ditch on the side.  I called AAA to come pull me out, the guy said the truck is not on the road (main road) so I can't help you.  What?  It was like 200 feet off the road before the gate to the field we were going into, but he refused service.  I had to shovel my way around the snow and I was able to climb back up the ditch to the dirt road with my 4x4 ranger.

Moral of the story is that AAA is useless off the main (paved) roads.

-=>Raja.

I had a buddy lock his keys in his truck when on an off road excursion... called AAA and told them he was locked out on the closest paved road. When the truck showed up, I told the guy what had happened. He was happy to go for a ride in my truck out to where my friends truck was.

#9 OFFLINE   Grumpy Rick

Grumpy Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, and '14 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hey Raja,

How about this story. I see you are in MA.

A few years ago we were about 20-25 miles outside Boston, on an Interstate (forgot #), and had TWO flat tires on my daughters 19' travel trailer. We were ahead of her with our trailer, and pulled off at the next exit to call AAA. We had the extended RV coverage on both trailers.

I unhitched and went back to her location to find she was in an area that had no shoulder, and cars were going by 3' away, rush hour, dusk, and it started raining. I got her and the kids out of there and went back to the exit to find that AAA does not service that area. Does not service outskirts of Boston???? They did look up a few tire stores and got us a couple numbers, of which only one worked.

We finally found the owner of a tire store which was closed (?), who was kind enough to interrupt his dinner to bring us two new wheels and tires, and mounted them on the trailer.

Not too happy with AAA.

Grumpy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·