Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

ICE Air Filter Replacement

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CharleyKJ

CharleyKJ

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max ENERGI

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Anyone have any info or videos showing replacement of the ICE air filter?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

It's in your manual. Once you remove the bolts and air ducts, it takes a lot of wiggling to get the assembly out.
  • CharleyKJ likes this

#3 OFFLINE   CharleyKJ

CharleyKJ

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

manual?!?  that's for common people       :smile2:         I shall look it up, thanks for the info!

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Check out this video for replacing the ICE air filter. Its for the hybrid but there should be no difference. It seems to be close to the OM instructions. I may try it when the time comes but maybe not.

http://www.carcareki..._engine/replace

• timwil56 likes this

#5 OFFLINE   CharleyKJ

CharleyKJ

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Tom, was exactly what I was looking for....gone are the days of a chrome wing nut on top of the air filter housing

#6 OFFLINE   Middleofnowhere

Middleofnowhere

Eating steak and making cows into Energi seats...

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

FYI

http://sunrisefordpa...5&siteid=217486

$13.64 with free shipping from Sunrisefordparts.com

#7 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

At about 18 months and 20k miles I replaced the engine Air filter. There were only about 2k miles on the ICE. The old filter looks almost new. There was also almost no debris in the case either.

It took a 5/16socket wrench and a flat head screwdriver to get the filter housing out. It is a very tight fit. It took about a half hour including my digging around for the right tools. The real trick with getting the Air cleaner assembly out is to tilt down in the front so the rear portion of the assembly clears some vertical posts in the back. It was equally painful to get the assembly back in position after changing the filter. Gloves would have prevented banging up my hands during this process. The manual actually had good information on the details for changing this filter. It does seem like the Ford engineers went out of their way to make changing this filter difficult. Glad I don't have to change it very often.

I did install the new filter and kept the old one to use next time. I just cleaned it a bit using my air compressor. The attached picture shows how the old and new filters look.

Attached Files

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Many times I take the filter out and clean it with my air compressor and put it back (on other cars).  I have not touched my Cmax one yet and due to the limited gas miles I probably will not look at it until I have at least 25k miles on the engine (about double what I have now).

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   bailey964

bailey964

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

WTF, you really have to do all that to change an air filter.  I know we don't have to do it very often but still ... Must not have been the same Ford engineer that made the windshield wiper fluid a full gallon. 

#10 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

WTF, you really have to do all that to change an air filter.  I know we don't have to do it very often but still ... Must not have been the same Ford engineer that made the windshield wiper fluid a full gallon. 

Yes it is really involved. It will me another 20k miles before I do that again. Interesting that you mentioned the windshield wiper fluid. When I first had to add fluid it took me a while to figure out where to put it. The filler I did not realize that the filler access went to a tank that is almost completely hidden. 

#11 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 397 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

Sorry for bringing back an old thread.  Coming up on 30,000 total miles on the Energi, and I thought from reading the manual that this is the ICE air filter replacement interval, not 20,000 miles?  I can't imagine how clean the filter would look for those that barely ever purchase gas.....

Thank you for the tips on how to change the filter Tom!

#12 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

Sorry for bringing back an old thread.  Coming up on 30,000 total miles on the Energi, and I thought from reading the manual that this is the ICE air filter replacement interval, not 20,000 miles?  I can't imagine how clean the filter would look for those that barely ever purchase gas.....

Thank you for the tips on how to change the filter Tom!

You are right the ICE air filter replacement interval in the manual is 30k miles. I had about 2500 miles on the Ice at 20k odometer miles and the ICE air filter still looked almost new. 

The Cabin filter is 20k miles. It was really dirty when I replaced it.

Tom

#13 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 397 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:16 PM

You are right the ICE air filter replacement interval in the manual is 30k miles. I had about 2500 miles on the Ice at 20k odometer miles and the ICE air filter still looked almost new. 

The Cabin filter is 20k miles. It was really dirty when I replaced it.

Tom

My wife's cabin filter was pretty dirty too at 20,000 miles.  With about 9,000 miles on the cabin filter there are times there is a smell when starting the A/C.  I can't remember exactly if the OEM filter is carbon impregnated or not to aid in removing smells.  I have been watching/hoping that Fram comes out with a Fresh Breeze version with the added baking soda, which definitely works well on smells, ie. in the refrigerator.  (I have been using them whenever I can get a version that fits...)

Gonna ask the wife whether she would like a K&N, which is the way I would go if it were my car, or just an OEM or other disposable filter.

#14 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

My wife's cabin filter was pretty dirty too at 20,000 miles.  With about 9,000 miles on the cabin filter there are times there is a smell when starting the A/C.  I can't remember exactly if the OEM filter is carbon impregnated or not to aid in removing smells.  I have been watching/hoping that Fram comes out with a Fresh Breeze version with the added baking soda, which definitely works well on smells, ie. in the refrigerator.  (I have been using them whenever I can get a version that fits...)

Gonna ask the wife whether she would like a K&N, which is the way I would go if it were my car, or just an OEM or other disposable filter.

Very common issue. You'll need to treat the evaporator with Frigi Fresh and learn to turn off the A/C compressor

5 minutes before you arrive at your destination. Leave the fan running on high to dry the evaporator core and

avoid the mold and mildew growth on it. It's the only way to stop the it from growing on the core.

You can find it on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/...3f370d2&vxp=mtr

#15 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 397 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

Very common issue. You'll need to treat the evaporator with Frigi Fresh and learn to turn off the A/C compressor

5 minutes before you arrive at your destination. Leave the fan running on high to dry the evaporator core and

avoid the mold and mildew growth on it. It's the only way to stop the it from growing on the core.

You can find it on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/...3f370d2&vxp=mtr

Thanks dr!

Is this a simple spray into the vents or do I have to take apart something to spray the evaporator core?

I'm afraid 5 minutes would get the car pretty hot by the time we arrive with recent weather.....

Edited by jzchen, 01 July 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   epic

epic

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationburnet ,texas
  • Current Vehicle:cmax energI

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

where is cabin filter?The auto parts store states it doesn't exsist?

#17 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:39 AM

Access the filter from the passenger foot well. Arizona Energi posted a very good video on the Hybrid forum.

#18 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 397 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

Look carefully at the pictures in the manual. After some stress I figured out how to rotate the assembly to get it out, and opening the manual again I realized rotating it the way it is shown helps get it out! But on to the K&N: It gets rid of the roar for air of the stock filter. I am very happy with the results, and my wife noticed a difference on her commute to and from work as well.

Edited by jzchen, 29 August 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:00 PM

Check out this video for replacing the ICE air filter. Its for the hybrid but there should be no difference. It seems to be close to the OM instructions. I may try it when the time comes but maybe not.

http://www.carcareki..._engine/replace

I changed my engine air filter today. The video attached above really helped, without viewing that first, a 10 minute job would have been a puzzle and a knuckle scraper.

#20 OFFLINE   David Moore

David Moore

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCape coral, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi and Toyota camry 2002

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:25 AM

I went for a quick lane "the works " package at my local Ford dealer at 35,000 miles when the oil change light came on. They said the ice air filter was still clean and said they usually go for 50,000 miles before needing a change. They have also out a sticker in the window to say that the next oil change is due in 5,000 miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·