Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Charge Station Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TopherTheME

TopherTheME

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Living in automotive ally, theres a good amount of PHEVs, EVs, and charging stations around. I've found that there are some common practices among PHEV/EV drivers and one of the biggest ones is how charging stations are shared. For example, if I'm plugged in somewhere that only has one charging spot with an open space next to it and someone else wants to charge they will back in to the space to the left of me and park their car with the charge port door open. Basically saying, "hey when you leave plug me in". Is this like a nation or world wide practice or is it something just done around here?

• dougTFC likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

I like that, neat idea, have not experienced that here,...yet.  If I do I'd gladly plug the next guy in!

Today I sort of had the opposite happen to me as far as etiquette.  I stopped by a Ford Dealer to get a charge on my way to Waltham and while picking up some parts in that area.  There were two cars parked in front of the charge station, neither of which can charge.  I went in to ask about them and see if I could plug in, and the sales man said that both of them belong to a gentleman that is making a deal right now trading one and buying the other.  I said it is possible to move one of the cars to this spot here, and I pointed to it, right next to the building like the spot for the charger but about 6 spaces away.  He said no, not possible, and its going to be a while because those guys are making a deal now.  I said to myself OK I'll wait and see what happens.

Went out, sat in the car across from the charger.  Watched the man come out and fish for something in his glove compartment and then go back in.  Wait some more while I was checking emails and such with my ipad, and nothing going on.  Started to rain, I figured I'm going to leave as I can't park there and walk to get my parts anyways.  Was just finishing up emails when I saw two salesmen come out. One of them got into the new car and the other into a Cmax Energi and they swapped places as the guy I originally talked to pulled out the new car before the deal was even finished.

Not sure how you rank that as far as Etiquette goes, but I don't quite understand why a) they block the chargers with cars that can't charge (and this is not the first time I've seen this) and b) why not put the charger at some spot off in a distance where no-one wants to park as its not close to any buidling, then that problem will be solved.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 14 July 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

You're dealing with a private charger and salesman. Take it for what it's worth, but they're a bunch of idiots.

#4 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

To answer b... It's expensive to run wire/conduit to a charger. The closer to the building/panel, the cheaper.

#5 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Let me pose this question to Ashley from Ford.

What is the expected Etiquette for Ford Dealerships in regards to customers who would like to pull up and charge their cars?

I read somewhere that Ford Dealers who get certified to sell Energi's require training plus the installation of at least 2 chargers, one outside in the customer area, and another inside in service.

I can attest to the fact that yesterday while I hung around there for an hour the charger in the service area was free and open, but I didn't see it as my business to ask if I could use that one.  I asked about the customer area one (please see above for details), which I have used in the past at this dealer while that space was open.

Are dealers supposed to let customers charge, or do they feel like we are using them if we stop in for a charge top off on the way somewhere?  Just want to be clear about it from your point of view and thanks Ashley (or Rebecca).

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 15 July 2014 - 10:01 AM.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#6 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Let me pose this question to Ashley from Ford.

What is the expected Etiquette for Ford Dealerships in regards to customers who would like to pull up and charge their cars?

I read somewhere that Ford Dealers who get certified to sell Energi's require training plus the installation of at least 2 chargers, one outside in the customer area, and another inside in service.

I can attest to the fact that yesterday while I hung around there for an hour the charger in the service area was free and open, but I didn't see it as my business to ask if I could use that one.  I asked about the customer area one (please see above for details), which I have used in the past at this dealer while that space was open.

Are dealers supposed to let customers charge, or do they feel like we are using them if we stop in for a charge top off on the way somewhere?  Just want to be clear about it from your point of view and thanks Ashley (or Rebecca).

-=>Raja.

Raja,

All Ford dealers are independently owned and operated and set their own policies about things like charging equipment. I recommend speaking with your salesperson or service rep to find out what your dealer's policy is.

Ashley

#7 OFFLINE   thedak

thedak

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Ashley

Call me

#8 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

Ashley

Call me

thedak,

I'm unable to make outgoing phone calls. If you have a question or concern, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Ashley

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,183 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

Ashley,

Please disregard that request from thedak.  A quick review of all posts from this person here and on the hybrid forum is causing me great concern.

#10 OFFLINE   Binky

Binky

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCT
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Volt Premier

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

We recently got a dual port chargepoint station installed in Glastonbury CT.   About a week ago one guy went out and picked up a volt and just leaves it plugged in all day.  Normally it's not a big deal, as there's another port, but a Model S and a Prius occasionally plug in around lunch time as well.  The first time I came upon both spots filled I checked the station, found the Volt was fully charged, wrote up a note with my phone number on it and left it on his windshield explaining I needed a charge and checked to make sure his was full before disconnecting.   Of course upon disconnecting his car alarm goes off, which is great for getting stray looks.  I met the owner when I got back from lunch and he was going on his.  He jogs probably 4 miles from his office to the charging station and just can't move the car easy enough so he was totally cool with the disconnects.  Today I went out there again and while spot 2 was open, I noticed he had a laminated sign on his dash telling other users to feel free to disconnect him as needed with his phone number for questions. 

Well played sir.

• dr61, fotomoto and dougTFC like this

#11 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

The way I see if, if I get there and there is a car plugged in already, if its done charging I have no problems disconnecting it to take the charger.  You can see that with chargepoint, it shows you the charge draw from the car and how long its been plugged in.

One time I went to Montpelier Vermont and wanted to charge there near the state house. There was a Cmax plugged in there, upon inspection it was plugged in for 48 hours!  I just unplugged it and put the cord in my car.  When I was done, I put the cord back in the cmax and left.

If the car is still charging then you can't unplug it, but if the car is done I don't see a problem with that.  We are all trying to share.

-=>Raja.

• dougTFC likes this

#12 OFFLINE   GTIguy

GTIguy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver
  • Current Vehicle:2017 C-MAX Energi Titanium, 2009 VW GTI, 2014 C-Max Hybrid (daughter's car)

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Personally, I would hesitate to use a public charger, because I don't really need it- not like a poor Tesla owner, whose car becomes a brick without shore power. How would they feel to be blocked by a plug-in hybrid?

#13 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

Inversely, there's a free public charger near my work that's regularly hogged by a Tesla.  In addition to my CMax, there are several Volts and Leafs that use it; we're plugged in for an hour, maybe two, but he's plugged in all morning, 7am-noon or so.  He as a 60-mile commute each way.

Most of us work in this office park, but at least one of the Leafs is here for the gym near the charger, so shutting him out of the charger inconveniences him.

What's fair?  I've asked the park landlord to "just" put 15A plugs on some of the light poles in the parking lot, instead of spending thousands on a 220v charger (I'm here all day, after all), but no response...

#14 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

I don't know how fair teslas are.  I mean I come in to plug in to a public charger, and a tesla pulls in next to me.  Hey how are you doing, great!  I said something like I'm here for a couple of hours, get some dinner and be on my way, how about you?  Well he says I'm here all night. 

When you see them plugged in, they are basically hogging the charger for a long time.  Not really much chance for anyone else.  I'm happy to get my 2 hours and be on my way, give someone else a chance, you know what I mean?

-=>Raja.

#15 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 185 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

What's even worse than people w/o PHEVs/EVs who use the spaces by chargers (who are bad enough, thanks) is when people with PHEVs/EVs park there but *don't* plug in to charge. We have a number of Chargepoint chargers placed around our garage at work, and I use the app as I approach our campus to see which spots might still be open. This morning, I went into one part of our garage, expecting to find open chargers based on the green indicators on Chargepoint. Instead, of the 4 spaces, I found 1 with a Volt (my friend's) plugged in, and 3 with (I think) PHEVs/EVs parked, blocking the spaces, and NOT PLUGGED IN. Fortunately, another set of chargers was available, since there were no more non-charger spaces available in the whole garage. Even if one wants to turn off the charging remotely when the car is finished (we pay per kWh, so stopping saves money), leaving it plugged in marks the space as in-use for someone else, until one can move the car and actually free up the space. But parking w/o charging, treating it like a VIP space rather than a place to CHARGE YOUR CAR, really pisses me off. {Jonathan}

#16 OFFLINE   Jonathan Ezor

Jonathan Ezor

• 185 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX Energi

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

I don't know how fair teslas are.  I mean I come in to plug in to a public charger, and a tesla pulls in next to me.  Hey how are you doing, great!  I said something like I'm here for a couple of hours, get some dinner and be on my way, how about you?  Well he says I'm here all night. 

When you see them plugged in, they are basically hogging the charger for a long time.  Not really much chance for anyone else.  I'm happy to get my 2 hours and be on my way, give someone else a chance, you know what I mean?

-=>Raja.

Well, you know you'll get where you're going whether or not you charge up. Those poor Tesla drivers might get stranded if they don't charge enough, and need to call a friend in an Energi to pick them up. :) {Jonathan}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·