Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Windshield Tint- Air Blue

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

I had my windows tinted last year, and it helped keep the interior cooler. I got a windshield screen to block out the heat further when I park for the Energi, but what a pain that was to put it up and down and store. I finally went back to Tint King and had the clear tint Air Blue put on my windshield, and what a big difference that made in everything. That huge C-Max windshield is now keeping my Energi cool for $129. All of a sudden the Energi interior heat went from feeling like a hot day to night. Think about how it feels in a car sitting in the hot sun all day, and how it feels parked in the shade all day. Now think about how much KWh it takes to cool a heat soaked cabin and bring down the temperature of a hot battery before you even start your trip. You can't, once the battery gets hot, it takes 8 hours over a cool night to cool the battery.

If there is a hypermiling technique you can do with $129, save the interior, prolong the life of your battery, increase your range and keep yourself cool at the same time, this is it. Those of you who have summers like me, this is the best recommendation I can give you.

Gary 

• fotomoto likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

The more I hear the more I believe I shall save my pennies and get the windows tinted. My state windshield tint law states "Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield", so the clear tint Air Blue would be a no no it would seem :(.  I'm going to speak to the dealer about who they recommend to do tinting.

Thank you,

#3 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

The more I hear the more I believe I shall save my pennies and get the windows tinted. My state windshield tint law states "Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield", so the clear tint Air Blue would be a no no it would seem :(.  I'm going to speak to the dealer about who they recommend to do tinting.

Thank you,

There is no way to know you have the clear Air Blue on your windshield except for blocking the heat inside. Find a dealer who sells Air Blue and offers a lifetime warranty and ask them if it's legal. A Ford dealer may or may not know of a good tinting company they use. The company I use for all my tinting for over twenty years has been in business for 33 years and gives a lifetime warranty on every thing they sell. I damaged the tint on one of my cars windows and they replaced it for free with no questions asked.

I had the strip put at the top of the windshield when they tinted my windows last year. They removed that strip to put the Air Blue on and told me to come back after 3 days to dry, and they put another strip back on for free. Now I have both the Air Blue and the strip for double the protection at the top of my windshield.

Gary

• SSE likes this

#4 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

It's getting hot here in South Florida again this summer. What I'm now finding is the heat that was coming though the windshield without the Air Blue required the A/C last year, but I can get by without it with Air Blue. This has increased my EV range with hypermiling to an average of 35 miles. It's all about blocking the sun rays, and I find if I block the rays on the side with the windows that have protection, the air from the other side still keeps the cabin cool enough. It's like being in the shade with a good breeze now. 

Ford, you need to add this as standard equipment!

Gary

#5 OFFLINE   TopherTheME

TopherTheME

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'm rather surpised that window tinting didnt even come as an option for the C-Max. Being HEV/PHEV you would think at least tinting some of the windows from the factory would be a no-brainer.

#6 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'm rather surpised that window tinting didnt even come as an option for the C-Max. Being HEV/PHEV you would think at least tinting some of the windows from the factory would be a no-brainer.

there is a faint OEM tint, but not enough to reject UV and heat  :drool:

#7 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

First thing that comes to my mind is cost and profits. I had my front door windows and a strip on the windshield tinted on my '11 Explorer because the others were factory tinted. Now I'm thinking the factory tinted windows may not block the heat as good as aftermarket tint. One thing is for sure now, I'll never skip the windshield again, and I will double the tint with aftermarket tint on the factory tint until I know they block the heat like the aftermarket tint. I always get the highest legal quality tint, but this Air Blue is unbelievable on these large windshields.

Gary

#8 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

First thing that comes to my mind is cost and profits. I had my front door windows and a strip on the windshield tinted on my '11 Explorer because the others were factory tinted. Now I'm thinking the factory tinted windows may not block the heat as good as aftermarket tint. One thing is for sure now, I'll never skip the windshield again, and I will double the tint with aftermarket tint on the factory tint until I know they block the heat like the aftermarket tint. I always get the highest legal quality tint, but this Air Blue is unbelievable on these large windshields.

Gary

If you say this stuff can reject the Florida heat baking the car, I'm now very interested in applying it on my San Diego NRG.  I park at work in the sun and even with the windows cracked and a sun shield I always find the afternoon sun has heat soaked the car.

#9 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Gary

If you say this stuff can reject the Florida heat baking the car, I'm now very interested in applying it on my San Diego NRG.  I park at work in the sun and even with the windows cracked and a sun shield I always find the afternoon sun has heat soaked the car.

Tint King says it will block 43% of the heat. They told me to park with my windshield facing the sun for a few days for it to dry before coming back for the strip at the top. I got in about 3pm to see how hot the car was, and it was about 105F, but I had all the windows up. Normally, without Air Blue, it would be above 115F inside the car, and take much longer to cool down the interior. I thought if I had cracked the windows like you say, it would have been about 98F inside the car. Not bad with the OAT at 90F. The big thing is how just opening the windows while driving cools the interior heat to just above OAT without the A/C. Before, the interior would stay at 98F and above the entire drive with a heat soak of 115F with the windows down with an OAT of 90F. Thing is, I can stand turning off the A/C with Air Blue to increase my range to make it back home or to a charger to get home in EV. If the NRG is 10F cooler, the battery in going to be cooler and more efficient.

Don't forget, you can still use your sun shield while parked, but once that heat makes it through the windshield in that space between the shield, it's in the interior already. Tint King has a test lamp that you can put your hand under to feel the heat. Then they give you a sample of Air Blue on a small piece of windshield to put in between the lamp and your hand. It's like night and day how much heat is blocked. The strip at the top of the windshield is for direct sun glare in the mornings and evenings, that's why they reinstalled that over the Air Blue. 

I'm thrilled to death about having a much cooler car to drive during my hot summers now. That NRG hugh windshield is no longer a pain from the sun anymore. 

Gary 

#10 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

roughly what should I expect to pay to Air Blue the NRG and (perhaps most importantly) the panoramic roof? Are there different products under that label you would recommend?  And do you find any reduction in cell phone signal with the tint?

#11 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

roughly what should I expect to pay to Air Blue the NRG and (perhaps most importantly) the panoramic roof? Are there different products under that label you would recommend?  And do you find any reduction in cell phone signal with the tint?

I think Tint King has the best products, best warranty and does the best job of anyone. They charged me $129 + tax for Air Blue on my windshield and replaced the strip for free: http://www.tintking....automotive.html. You can get the panoramic roof in clear or tinted in Air Blue because there are no laws restricting the roof. More than likely you would get a better deal doing both at the same time. Tint King charges the same price on most cars no matter how big the windshield is. It would not hurt to call them to compare pricing or quality first, and then check out tinting businesses in your area. 

No problems with cell phones, and Tint King would not sell anything that would block the signal. 

Gary

#12 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Federal regulations do not permit more than a very light tint from the factory on passenger cars like the C-Max.  On vehicles which meet the utility vehicle classification loophole (like the Escape), heavier tints are allowed on side windows from the factory.

#13 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Federal regulations do not permit more than a very light tint from the factory on passenger cars like the C-Max.  On vehicles which meet the utility vehicle classification loophole (like the Escape), heavier tints are allowed on side windows from the factory.

You don't need tint to block UV or heat anymore.

Gary

#14 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Locationmaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:00 AM

Another tint to check out is the 3M Crystalline tint. I had some put on the windshield of my Volt, and it definitely seems to help reject solar energy. I don't have any tangible proof, but that's my 'seat of the pants' judgment. 40-90% shades are available (90% being almost clear). I had the Crystalline 70 put on the Volt, and you can barely tell it's tinted at all. Cost me $170. Whole car application would probably range from $400-500+.

http://wot.motortren...tint-77391.html

Edited by bro1999, 03 July 2014 - 05:02 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   TopherTheME

TopherTheME

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Another tint to check out is the 3M Crystalline tint. I had some put on the windshield of my Volt, and it definitely seems to help reject solar energy. I don't have any tangible proof, but that's my 'seat of the pants' judgment. 40-90% shades are available (90% being almost clear). I had the Crystalline 70 put on the Volt, and you can barely tell it's tinted at all. Cost me $170. Whole car application would probably range from $400-500+.

http://wot.motortren...tint-77391.html

I'm looking at getting my car done with the 3M Crystalline as from the research I've done it performs the best (50% heat rejection for 70% visual transmission). I've gotten quotes for around $500 for everything but the windshield and $250 for the windshield.

#16 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'm looking at getting my car done with the 3M Crystalline as from the research I've done it performs the best (50% heat rejection for 70% visual transmission). I've gotten quotes for around $500 for everything but the windshield and $250 for the windshield.

Did that include a pano roof?

#17 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

That seems a little steep to me. I paid for the Formula One Pinnacle Series Ceramic front windows (P130 Legal) UV 99.5%, heat rejection 57%, and glare 63%. Rear, side, and strip (115 Legal) UV 99.5%, heat rejection 61%, and glare 80% . All for $319 + tax. Air Blue - Windshield $129 + tax. Lifetime transferable warranty.

Gary

#18 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

For the windshield:  Air Blue or Crystalline, how to choose?

#19 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

For the windshield:  Air Blue or Crystalline, how to choose?

Air Blue works and looks great for me, and it's half the price. Also, it's designed and approved for the windshield.

"While other films employ very dark tinting to achieve similar levels of heat rejection, AIR Blue's color is light enough to meet visible-light transmission laws nationwide. Its optical clarity and low reflectivity will not interfere with night driving. With AIR Blue in place, you and your car's interior will be shielded from the effects of solar radiation— and your car will be cooler, as well. Protect yourself and your passengers from the sun's rays."

http://www.tintplus....inting-air-blue

Gary

• Smiling Jack likes this

#20 OFFLINE   12mile

12mile

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSE Pa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

I spoke to an installer and scheduled an install of the air blue. He had a couple of cautions, the rake of these slopped windshields can make the film more noticeable at night was one. I never had these films before so news to me. I am going to try it.

I have occasion to drive straight into the afternoon sun for several hours and I hope this makes it less fatiguing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·