Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Protective side trim

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grumpy Rick

Grumpy Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, and '14 C-Max Energi

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

I have a '13 NRG and would really like some side trim protection for door dings. I have seen Escapes, and Focus' with side trim, but none seems available for the C-Max.

I would also like the wheel well trim like you see on a lot of SUV's, usually grey.

My wife parks the car at a school and so far we are lucky with no dings, but it's just a matter of time.

Any ideas?? The car is metallic white.

Rick

PS: Almost 3500 miles on it, with only 5 gal of gas added so far, but I will have to fill up soon. The 5 gal was in January.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   PJFW8

PJFW8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energy

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

Try www.sportwing.com or search for sportwing boy side moldings.  Great product and service. Clear directions. Perfect paint match. I put them an the last 5 cars I bought. The actual seller is Dawn Enterprises. 

Edited by PJFW8, 05 June 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Grumpy Rick

Grumpy Rick

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, and '14 C-Max Energi

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the lead, I will be buying some nice diamond white side trim.

Rick

#4 OFFLINE   PJFW8

PJFW8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

If the installation instructions are not clear, please ask me.  I have installed these many times with great results.

#5 OFFLINE   chAMP

chAMP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi 300 with aftermarket moonroof.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

PJFW8,

I ordered a set of painted body side moldings (made by Dawn Enterprises) from Spoilerandwingking .com for less than Sportwing, Ebay & Amazon.

My question is where do you place them? The stock photo shows them halfway between the the bottom of the window and the bottom of the body.

However, I think they should be placed on top of the bulge that runs even with the door handle because that is the place that sticks out the most from the door (when you look at the open door in profile) therefore protecting all else beneath it (which is narrower.)

In other words, the first place that will be struck is the bulge line running through the door handles. (Well, actually it would be the door handle itself, but howya gonna protect that?)

#6 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

PJFW8,

I ordered a set of painted body side moldings (made by Dawn Enterprises) from Spoilerandwingking .com for less than Sportwing, Ebay & Amazon.

My question is where do you place them? The stock photo shows them halfway between the the bottom of the window and the bottom of the body.

However, I think they should be placed on top of the bulge that runs even with the door handle because that is the place that sticks out the most from the door (when you look at the open door in profile) therefore protecting all else beneath it (which is narrower.)

In other words, the first place that will be struck is the bulge line running through the door handles. (Well, actually it would be the door handle itself, but howya gonna protect that?)

Pull an average sedan next to yours and open the door to see where the second door makes contact with yours. I guess you cant protect against all vehicles, but if you have access to say a Fusion or Accord sized car, you'll probably cover most cars out there gunning for your door panel.

#7 OFFLINE   PJFW8

PJFW8

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

chAMP,  The installation instructions I got from Sportwing were clear and accurate. They included well thought out location measurements. Their product is also made by Dawn enterprises. Measuring my car, the front lower edge of the side molding is 23 5/8 inches above the ground.  the rear lower end is 26 1/8 inches above the ground. Looking at my car the location does offer good protection.  Go on the Sportwing site if you need instructions. If they are not on the site try customer service. I have found them helpful when I had questions. I'm surprise you did not get correct instructions in your kit. Dawn Enterprises is pretty careful. The Focus part is the same except for the instructions.

Edited by PJFW8, 18 June 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

Years ago I use to install side trim but at sometime stopped because their actually effectiveness seemed to be suspect.  All sorts and sizes of cars and trucks park next to you, and the doors could hit about anywhere on either side of the trim.  It might work for 80% of the vehicles, but my careful parking (and walking) is good for 98%.  YMMV.

#9 OFFLINE   chAMP

chAMP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks. fellas.

They arrived today, and yes the instructions are very precise.

I'll pull along side some vehicles, as suggested, to see where they strike.

The bulge that runs through the door handles is thicker than the molding when looked at cross-section so anything that high will hit the bulge before it hits the side molding.

So I guess I'll place them lower to protect against smaller/lower vehicles' doors.

#10 OFFLINE   chAMP

chAMP

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Actually, I hung a plumb bob along side the door and the bulge is in line with the place recommended for the moldings so my perception that it stuck out further was falsely based on an optical illusion.

I'll be mounting them according to the directions.

Ironically, the moldings have such a high quality finish identical to the car that I worry about getting them scratched!

#11 OFFLINE   Cream Puff

Cream Puff

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

I just installed body side moldings to my car this morning.  I ordered them from juicedhybrid.com and selected the version with inset chrome: http://www.juicedhyb...-focus084dr.htm.  These are also made by Dawn Enterprises.   They look quite nice and the paint was a perfect match.  The included instructions are different than PJFW8's and has a photograph of a C-max.  There are 2 points you need to measure, Point A and Point B.   For Point A, towards the wheel, you measure 15 inches from the bottom of the front door.   For Point B, towards the wheel, you measure 17 inches from the bottom of the rear door.  Then you line up the 2 points with a long strip of painter's masking tape.  It's best to mark off 1/8" and 1/4" clearance where the 2 doors meet.  Then you clean the area directly underneath the tape with alcohol, apply bonding adhesive, peel the backing liner, apply the trim, and place pressure along the length of the molding to insure proper adhesion.

I really needed this because I am forced to park outside.  I have an assigned parking spot.  Unfortunately the spot to the right of me is guest parking.  With my last car, I had no dings on the left hand side of my car but quite a few on the right hand side.  :censored:  I'm hoping these side moldings will bare the brunt of impact.

Edited by Cream Puff, 20 September 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Kermit

Kermit

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi, Candy Blue!

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

I would love to see a photo of yours installed. I can't picture what you're describing...I have no idea what this product is.

#13 OFFLINE   LionelLines

LionelLines

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNear LA-LA Land out on The Coast
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2014

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

I put the body side moldings on Ruby.  Easy installation.   Look very, very good.  Ordered them from Amazon (Zig's Auto Supply).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·