Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Cabin air filter - plugged up in only 12 months? Fixed thanks to Robberson Ford, Prineville

a/c climate

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mark_pdx

mark_pdx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMax Energi

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

Hi CMax drivers,

We just took a trip to central Oregon in our 2013 CMax Energi (purchased new April 2013 - now 17000 miles).

It can get hot there, and the A/C was just not cooling the interior. We could hear the fan working on high, but there was almost no air flow from any of the dash vents.  

Of course it could have been a computer glitch misrouting the airflow, but I hoped it was something simpler like the cabin air filter. Pulled in at Robberson Ford in Prineville, OR. When I told them we were on a trip and needed to get to our lodging that evening, they helped us right away. A tech crawled into the passenger footwell and removed the cabin air filter, which he found located against the firewall, up in front of the center console.  It looked rather blackish. He wasn't sure if that was dirt, or some kind of carbon treatment. At any rate, he put a new one in there, and presto, huge amounts of cold air from the vents!

It seems crazy that this filter would plug completely in just 1 year / 17000 miles of driving. We don't smoke, we don't drive on dirt roads except a few miles on rare occasions, and the car lives in a garage. Could it be such a hyper-effective filter? Or do we need to bathe more often...

Anyway - if you're planning a summer trip to a hot place and haven't been using your A/C much, I suggest you check the cabin air filter.

And I'm giving Robberson Ford in Prineville a "like" for quickly getting us back on the road in comfort.

mark_pdx 

• leetramp likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'm taking mine into Robberson in Bend next week for the recalls and oil change. I'll make sure to have them check the cabin air filter :)

#3 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

It can get very dry and dusty here.  I replaced the one in our hybrid at 18k miles and it was pretty dirty but it hadn't hampered performance that I noticed.

941B15F0-17C7-497F-B520-3FDB32C2A7A0_zps

BTW for DIY servicing, I'd rather change the oil and rotate all four tires than change out the cabin air filter.  It's a real PITA IMO.

#4 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Mark_pdx, we had a similar experience a few weeks ago after stopped for a while in the parked car with the AC on max (108 outside). It seemed to suddenly happen, there wasn't any air coming out of the vents even though you could hear the fan on max.

What I think happened was the cooling coils froze over and stopped the flow of air. I was able to fix the problem by driving with the heat on high for a couple mins... And just as suddenly as the air stopped flowing, it started again. I then turned the AC back on and didn't have another problem for the rest of the drive home (300 miles).

I did replace the cabin air filter yesterday and it was very dirty with what looked like a carbon treatment... But the new one I put in (Ford Motorcraft) was bright white.

I think they must use a 5 year old to install the filters at the factory... Seems you have to have your feet on the passenger window sill while your head is in the passenger foot well in order to change it.

I did the ICE air filter yesterday too... They didn't make than any easier.

#5 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,221 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

:hysterical3:

I think they must use a 5 year old to install the filters at the factory... Seems you have to have your feet on the passenger window sill while your head is in the passenger foot well in order to change it.

Yup, I can tell you've replaced one!  

#6 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

:hysterical3:

Yup, I can tell you've replaced one!  

Now we know what the Keebler elves are doing after they closed the cookie factories. :happy feet:

But sriously, since I haven't done it before, are there instructions or video I can follow?

Edited by dontfret, 20 June 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

But sriously, since I haven't done it before, are there instructions or video I can follow?

Apparently the procedure is that same as for the Focus: https://www.youtube....h?v=kfNbsYUnMwA

I hope to never find out.

#8 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Apparently the procedure is that same as for the Focus: https://www.youtube....h?v=kfNbsYUnMwA

I hope to never find out.

watched the video.  My back hurt just imagining spending the half hour doing this.  Great video in explaining how difficult this was - shame on the Ford engineer who didn't have to this as part of their design qualification!!  If they had designed the filter holder at an angle it would have been a two minute job to remove the cover and slide old out/new in instead of this cockamamie fold and bend to get it out around the fuser/cable harness/vents.

#9 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

watched the video. My back hurt just imagining spending the half hour doing this. Great video in explaining how difficult this was - shame on the Ford engineer who didn't have to this as part of their design qualification!! If they had designed the filter holder at an angle it would have been a two minute job to remove the cover and slide old out/new in instead of this cockamamie fold and bend to get it out around the fuser/cable harness/vents.

The other option is to remove the dash/center console from the vehicle. :-)

#10 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

The other option is to remove the dash/center console from the vehicle. :-)

Very funny @honemch - just the humor of a fellow San Diegan :happy feet:  :hysterical:  :drool: Good thing the same engineer wasn't responsible for the fuel inlet, we'd have to remove the tank to fill it.  

#11 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 503 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:44 AM

Funny no one said it:

OP-  Definitely need to bathe more.  J/K

We went the full 20k in ours before I changed the filter.  Ours looked pretty much like fotomoto's.  I did notice a smell from the vents upon starting for a good while.  No output decrease from what I sensed.  The smell definitely went away after the change.  It was a real pain to change as mentioned.  I even tried pulling the fuse panel out to see if I would be able to slide the filter behind it.  I needed to pull one harness connector out to get the old filter out.  It contorted so much I thought I definitely deformed it for life.  I then disconnected 3 more to get the new one in without "having to mangle" the new one.  Then I took a look at the old one and it's shape had come back to normal.

Notes:  Wait 'till the car is cool as there is at least one metal pipe behind that is/was hot after my wife drove the car about 20 miles home from work in hybrid mode.  After putting the new one in, wait a little while so that the new filter goes back to it's original shape so you don't incidentally allow dirt, crud, etc. into your A/C system.  The filter takes a licking, and it you wait a little bit, it comes back into form.  Just don't tear it I guess.  (YMMV.)

I found one video in my search for videos on how to replace the cabin air filter, on a right hand drive model, where the filter was located in the left foot well.  If my memory serves me it had three screws, and no mention of any difficulty.  I wonder if that change was easier.  (I think Ford sold this car outside the US before it came here, and maybe the adaptation to left hand drive may have something to do with this horrible issue.)

Edited by jzchen, 08 November 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

Hybrid forum thread on this topic:  http://fordcmaxhybri...bin-air-filter/

Best post:

Also, so one doesn't have to spend 25+ minutes watching the video, one can follow the steps below. You'll need a T20 bit / screwdriver (a T15 will be a loose fit but will work) and a light to see.

1) put passenger seat all the way back, remove passenger floor mat (if you have a mat over the carpet it might interfere with procedure) and locate fiber cover between under side of dash and floor held in place by 2 plastic caps on posts projecting down from under dash.

2) remove two plastic caps from posts (turn / pull caps from posts), slip post holes in fiber cover over posts, and pull fiber cover out

3) locate CAF cover with plastic squeeze tabs to the left near firewall under the passenger dash on the center console vertical surface.and remove screw at bottom of CAF cover with T20 bit

4) compress plastic tabs on CAF cover and while compressing pull cover off (pull down and out while compressing tabs)

5) grab CAF and pull / wiggle out of slot (note the foam seal is to the engine compartment)

6) squeeze new CAF on flexible pleated sides to make rigid  top and bottom come closer together as you insert top then bottom into CAF slot making sure the foam seal is towards the engine (it's not as hard as the video makes it appear) and then push / slide / wiggle remainder of CAF into slot

7) reverse steps 1) - 4)

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 08 November 2014 - 08:31 AM.

• jdbob likes this

#13 OFFLINE   leetramp

leetramp

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 2013 with 302A package

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

Wow, thanks for the tips, especially the video link. After watching the video, I had the filter replaced in five minutes ☺

#14 OFFLINE   jeromep

jeromep

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationWashington
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

I think this may be the best video that describes how to change the cabin air filter.  What a pain!

http://www.carcareki...ter_cabin/check

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·