Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How strong is A/C in hot climates?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   edweird

edweird

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 182 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDaytona Beach, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Some folks have had good results with those folding sunshades that go in the front windshield area while parked.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

So far A/C in desert with temp around 100, the outlet temp has been about 42-45 when on recirculate medium speed and quite frankly will freeze you out if the temp setting is too low.

Soooo.........question answered so far in actual test conditions is "a/c is very strong".

Don't know if we will get in some of the "real" desert conditions of 110-120 anytime on the return trip, but if so I will post those results.

Thanks again for all of the replies to my original post.

#43 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Thanks to Lucille for that additional report.

Good to know!

#44 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

I'm in mid atlantic which gets quite hot (100+) and humid.  The a/c works well.  However, the thermostat (temperature setting) isn't accurate, about 6 degrees "warm", so you need to compensate by setting lower.  Given that the a/c can pull 5kw that means its 3-5 tons which is bigger than in most houses.

#45 OFFLINE   CharleyKJ

CharleyKJ

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max ENERGI

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'm in Phoenix, and I can say the A/C works really good, the only downside is ICE engaged for system performance because it has been 105 plus and the batteries heat up pretty quick

#46 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

Well, the total trip was over 5000 miles from Atlanta to San Diego via Colorado Springs, CO across the Rockies through Las Vegas with the return via Arizona, New Mexico, Texas etc.

When we went through Arizona/New Mexico, temps were up to about 105. A/C is cold enough to "hang meat" if you want it that low. Really strong.

This will no doubt rub the hyper milers a little raw, but we just put the car in drive and drove at posted speed plus about 3 or 4 mph without concerning ourselves with mpg extension techniques. Running at freeway speeds the mpg was about 38-40. I'm don't judge the car on EPA ratings etc. The bottom line is that we like it! It's roomy, handles well, runs quietly, has plenty of mountain climbing power, climate control is comfy and we could just blow by lots of filling stations.

I would charge the HVB at hotels when an outside receptacle was available and drove in EV later mode. To help remember to reselect EV later when stops were made, I placed an empty Starbucks cup on the shifter when we stopped for a break. Often stayed in the car when eating a burger  and ran the A/C. No overheating problems with engine which occasionally kicked on to recharge HVB for cooling energy used. Why run in EV later? Well, I figured that in the unlikely event we had engine problems and got stranded in the desert there would be several hours of A/C cooling capability, especially since we were traveling with our little Pomeranian. Hey, I also carried plenty of drinking water plus 2 gallons of distilled water for cooling system if needed plus that was also drinkable. Maybe overkill, but didn't take a lots of effort.

Go take a road trip. You will enjoy it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·