Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How strong is A/C in hot climates?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I suggest that you monitor the amount of power being consumed by climate using the car's display.  It the A/C is not consuming 5 kW of power, it is not running at maximum capacity.  When I have set it at max AC when it was in the 60's, the power consumed by AC was less than 2 kW.  When it is hot, I have seen it consuming 5+ kW of power. 

Just tested again.

AC set to MAX (LO temp-High fan speed-recirculate) 73 outside, down to 42 at vent when driving for about 15 minutes in EV mode. Climate power consumed less than 1kW throughout test (about 1/2 way between 0 and the first line. Since there 4 sections between 0 and 5kW, it is assumed that each graduation is 1.25kW).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 392 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

It doesn't seem to be running at full capacity.  Maybe if it were warmer it would use more power.  You can also display accessory and climate power from the MyView display.  But if it is like my car, the power for climate does not match the values in the energy consumption gauge.  They match for the heater, but they don't match for A/C.  In the energy consumption gauge, each mark is 1.25 kW.  In the MyView display, each mark is 1 kW.  1.25 kW is about what I observe when the outside temperature is in the 60's. 

Edited by larryh, 20 April 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

I'm going to wait for warmer weather before testing and posting results again. Might be several days.

In the meantime, anyone else that has a temp gauge with a probe to stick in the outlet vent, it will be appreciated if they would run those tests and post results.

Thanks

#24 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

Well, I ran another test for about 20 minutes:

Outside temp:    81

MAX AC

Vent temp:   45

Max power used:   2.5kW (dropped to less than 1.25kW pretty quickly)

Still seems a little weak to me.

#25 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Well, I ran another test for about 20 minutes:

Outside temp:    81

MAX AC

Vent temp:   45

Max power used:   2.5kW (dropped to less than 1.25kW pretty quickly)

Still seems a little weak to me.

to me also !

#26 OFFLINE   Andrew Roberts

Andrew Roberts

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationClayton, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Chevy Volt, 2013 CMAX ENERGI

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

I have found that the best way to keep your car cool is to get a carbon tint. as dark as your state allows you to go all the way around. And as big and dark of a strip as your state will let you go on the front windshield. 

Here, I can have 5% light everywhere but the front passenger windows which are supposed to have no tint at all. 50% tint will go unnoticed though. The carbon stuff blocks extra heat and works miracles keeping the car cool. 

I can ride comfortably in up to 80 degree heat with the ac off without even rolling the windows down.

It doesn't hurt the appearance of the car either which is a plus!

#27 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Lucille,

Update:  We had low 90's in Houston this afternoon. After soaking in the sun for a few hours, my c-max interior was hot enough that I had to open windows and doors before getting in.  Nevertheless, with an outside air temperature of 92, my A/C outlet temperature dropped to 39 degrees in a few minutes.

Jack

Edited by Smiling Jack, 25 April 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

I suggest that you monitor the amount of power being consumed by climate using the car's display.  It the A/C is not consuming 5 kW of power, it is not running at maximum capacity.  When I have set it at max AC when it was in the 60's, the power consumed by AC was less than 2 kW.  When it is hot, I have seen it consuming 5+ kW of power. 

Well, here is an update with the latest info:

First, I have never seen the A/C consume 5KW of power. The highest seen is 2.5KW which is 1/2 of the gauge on the car's display. However, if the A/C is run until the cabin temp is quite low and then the temp setting is increased then the heating element will turn on and increase the total power used up to 5KW as fomoto posted on 4/14. Is everyone seeing 5KW used by the A/C certain that all of the power is drawn by the compressor rather than some being drawn by the heating element?

Second, I took it in to dealer last week and they evacuated and recharged the system. It's been quite hot and the lowest temp I've seen at the center register is about 43 degrees F. which is better than prior readings were. Even after the system was recharged the maximum power draw I've seen is still about 2.5KW.

Edited by lucille, 16 June 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:24 AM

I have found that the best way to keep your car cool is to get a carbon tint. as dark as your state allows you to go all the way around. And as big and dark of a strip as your state will let you go on the front windshield.
Here, I can have 5% light everywhere but the front passenger windows which are supposed to have no tint at all. 50% tint will go unnoticed though. The carbon stuff blocks extra heat and works miracles keeping the car cool.

I can ride comfortably in up to 80 degree heat with the ac off without even rolling the windows down.

It doesn't hurt the appearance of the car either which is a plus!

If you really want to spend some dough, check out the 3M Crystalline tint. The heat blocking properties of it are insane. I had my Volt's windshield tinted with the Crystalline 70, and it definitely makes a difference. Just the windshield cost $170 though. Whole car would probably cost $400+.

#30 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Just tried the AC now while plugged in charging, its 81 outside I see 1/3rd of 5kw but it will drop to about half that once the car is cooled.

-=^Raja.

#31 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Well, here is an update with the latest info:

First, I have never seen the A/C consume 5KW of power. The highest seen is 2.5KW which is 1/2 of the gauge on the car's display. However, if the A/C is run until the cabin temp is quite low and then the temp setting is increased then the heating element will turn on and increase the total power used up to 5KW as fomoto posted on 4/14. Is everyone seeing 5KW used by the A/C certain that all of the power is drawn by the compressor rather than some being drawn by the heating element?

Second, I took it in to dealer last week and they evacuated and recharged the system. It's been quite hot and the lowest temp I've seen at the center register is about 43 degrees F. which is better than prior readings were. Even after the system was recharged the maximum power draw I've seen is still about 2.5KW.

Lucille:

An update on the my A/C performance: 

Yesterday my car soaked in direct sun and outside air temperature of 99 degrees for several hours.  After a few minutes and a couple of blocks I parked and measured 39 degrees at the outlet air discharge.  Driving off, I needed to turn the temperature up to the 70's and let the blower slow down in order not to freeze myself out.

My opinion is that if you can not get down to 40 degrees even in very hot conditions, your A/C system is not working properly.

Sure, the motor needs to be drawing the proper amount of power (and we certainly sem to have divided opinion here as to how much power that is, wiith myself favoring the lower of the posted opinion numbers), but that is not all you need.  The refigeration system must be fully charged and working properly, and your blower must be running properly, and your evaporator and condenser coils must be clean, and your air delivery must be unobstructed. Also, your automatic controls and their temperature sensors must be working correctly.

Be cool !!!

Jack

Edited by Smiling Jack, 17 June 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

It was 82 F today.   Max A/C consumed 4 kW of power.  The heater was not on.  I don't know if there is a difference between the Fusion Energi and the C-Max Energi.  You can investigate how the A/C is working in more detail if you want to try FORScan using a laptop and the OBDLink MX scanner.  You would be able to observe current/voltage to the compressor, compressor speed, etc. 

#33 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

OK, to be more accurate, I tried it again today coming back to a sun soaked car with outside temps at 91F.  I turned on the AC while plugged in to cool down the car and it draws like Lucille sas 1/2 of the bars or 2.5kw.  Ran like that for a while and eventually dropped to 1.25kw (to the first line).  I unplugged and left after that and on the way home it was down to 1/2 of that or 0.625kw.  Temp was set to 70 at that point, with recirculate.

I wish I had the temp probe with me to stick in the vents, its in my other car I'll move it there, actually going to go out and do it now before I forget.  Will check next time out.

By the way, you can plug and unplug the car while its on or off makes no difference.  Just put it in park, step out and plug it in, will start charging and increasing your trip mpge.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 17 June 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

By the way, you can plug and unplug the car while its on or off makes no difference.  Just put it in park, step out and plug it in, will start charging and increasing your trip mpge.

Yes--you can plug and unplug the charger while the car is in park and either on or off.  But I am not going to suggest anyone do it when the car is running.  While the car is turned on, it will run the internal kWh meter backwards and increase your lifetime MPGe and trip MPGe and your estimated range.  But that's cheating :smile2: .

Edited by larryh, 17 June 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

I never thought about the fact that it affects the lifetime MPGe but that makes sense.  Sometimes you have to do it to power up and run the AC.  Had to do that today actually as I forgot to precondition the car so I conditioned it while I was still plugged in before departure.  My reasoning is that I wanted the AC to cool down and draw less current, otherwise its a long trip home and I'm not going to make it on EV only with AC.

Still decided after departure to stop at another charge station and add 15% battery from 70 back to 85%.  Due to the fact traffic was slow and AC running and MPGe doing down due to stopping with no movement.

I made it home with 0% battery and almost a full hybrid battery (main battery ran out right at the EV+ range about 1/3 mile from the house or so).  I let the battery cool for an hour before I plugged it in to charge.  When I powered up to check on it, it had cooled some and the voltage dropped or the charge level dropped, went from an almost full hybrid battery to one that is 1/3 full and when I put it in drive looked like the blue bar square in Empower screen is it was almost nothing, .i.e. more than feather the gas and the ICE would start.

Its charging now, last I checked HVB was at 10%.  I'll bring it up to 50% and unplug and leave it there in "storage charge" until Friday night when I need it for Saturday for a trip what will use all of the EV battery at which point I'll bring it to 100% before departure.

-=>Raja.

#36 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I am not yet an Energi owner, however I have been looking and have about decided to take the plunge. That's really saying A LOT since I am on my 3rd Escape and I LOVE it.

Now I'm reading about preconditioning and the battery getting too hot etc and I've about decided that I might not be smart enough for this car. I just wanted to find something that I could ease some of my dependency on the gas pump and not feel as if I was driving a little car. I quite like the fact that it seems to sit up higher than most cars and so far from my test drive I like the visibility.

I was planning on just using the 120 charger that comes with the vehicle for now. I do not have a garage so it will be sitting outside in all kinds of Atlanta weather. Do I have to worry about things like the A/C running making the battery get too hot etc?

Also, I wish wish wish that the windows came tinted as it's a wonderful feature on my Escape. Alas I am probably going to lease so I won't be able to get the windows tinted :(

Edited by SSE, 24 June 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about preconditioning. I took a 150 mile mostly Interstate trip today in 102F weather and got a total of 25 Ev-Now miles at the start and end with no preconditioning.

Tucson to Phoenix
Attached File  IMG_20140624_160914.jpg   97.7KB   0 downloads

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 24 June 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Depending on how far you need to go on electric only, if its hot outside and the car is a sauna it would make sense to run the AC in it before leaving with it plugged in to get the AC current draw to drop from 2500 watt to about 625 watt.  This way there will be less load on the battery and you'll go further by a few miles before the battery is exhausted.

-=>Raja.

#39 OFFLINE   edweird

edweird

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 182 posts
  • LocationDaytona Beach, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

SSE, will your outdoor parking spot be in the shade?

It's easy enough to use the remote start function via the key fob, or via the MyFord Mobile app on your cellphone to remote start the car 5-10 minutes before your departure from home.  Leaving the AC on when you park or using some other features can make it pretty much just one additional step more than any other car.

Truth be told, I park in an uncooled/unheated garage here in FL and I'm not doing any preconditioning.  The inside of my car is cool within about a minute or two at the most.  When I park away form home I look for shade, and depending on whether I found any, it may take a couple more minutes to cool down.  I've been leaving my temp set to 76 and Auto.

#40 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

SSE, will your outdoor parking spot be in the shade?

It's easy enough to use the remote start function via the key fob, or via the MyFord Mobile app on your cellphone to remote start the car 5-10 minutes before your departure from home.  Leaving the AC on when you park or using some other features can make it pretty much just one additional step more than any other car.

Truth be told, I park in an uncooled/unheated garage here in FL and I'm not doing any preconditioning.  The inside of my car is cool within about a minute or two at the most.  When I park away form home I look for shade, and depending on whether I found any, it may take a couple more minutes to cool down.  I've been leaving my temp set to 76 and Auto.

Hi Ed, 

My driveway is sometimes in the shade, mostly in the morning but in the afternoons it is directly in the sun. I know this is not using the full functionality of the vehicle but I was hoping I could just drive this as I have been driving and reap some of the benefits of better mpg, working my way into figuring out how to get the best mileage and/or drive without using the ICE and learning all the other fun things that come with owning a C-Max Energi.

I leave home about 6 am every morning and get home about 5:30 or so. On weekdays my car is parked in a covered deck so really it's just the evening hours and weekends that it is parked in the sun. I just didn't want to have a whole bunch of extra things I would need to worry about doing that early in the morning. But I want to take care of my vehicle and get the most out of it that I can. Don't want problems. :)

I actually have been reading and the consensus is that you can possibly get the windows on a lease tinted. I will ask at the dealership. I am probably not going to just turn in the vehicle, would keep it or trade when the lease is up, so that is a point in favor of not worrying about the tint costing me when I turn it in.

Thank you, Shirley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·