Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

"No drill" hitch options

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

So I finally hammered out a deal to lease an NRG! Woohoo.

Now about hitches...are there any hitches out there that are 'no drill' besides the Torklift Eco hitch? Since this is a lease, I don't want to be drilling any holes in the car. Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   13UJEnergi

13UJEnergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

I think the Torklift may be your option for "no drill". I really wanted to order one, but just could not allow myself to after speaking with them. They had the hitches in stock, but told me it could take 2-3 days to ship? I was turned off by that (not my idea of customer service) but then wanted to pay over the phone. While the website will give you free shipping, if you call to order, you have to pay $40 for shipping? That was all I needed to hear. Went to Autoanything and ordered the Curt. It was at my door the next day, and saved >$100. You do have to drill 2 holes, but I cannot imagine that it would be an issue. You could always leave the nuts and bolts on the car after removing the hitch..... I'd say no one in the lease business would ever know any different.

My .02,

--Bo

#3 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

I put the Torklift on an LOVE it - just hauled home 8 50-pound bags of gravel, 4 in the hatch and 4 on a cargo box.  Torklift rated for 250 pounds.  Use it all the time for bike rack as well. Took 10 minutes to install, just take the moment to bend the tab out of your way and it installs easy breezy. 

#4 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

My concern about the Torklife is some are reporting that the kick open hatch doesn't work as well with the hitch. I had the reprogramming done and my hatch works 100% of the time now. I just don't want to go back to a double kick again. Opinions?

Gary

#5 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the drilling issue.  The additional hole needed is in the main subframe member next to several other factory holes (two of which are utilized in my curt mount).   I seriously doubt anyone would ever notice this (nor care) in a vehicle return inspection.   (third bolt on the right)

null_zps9ee57c80.jpg

The sensor for the lift gate appears to be easily moved to either side of the centered hitch mount depending on wire length.  My class II curt mount wasn't "certified" but I can kick the rubber plug with near 100% open rate.

null_zpsdd968613.jpg

Funny aside:  my cat opened the hatch by walking under the car just as I walked by the rear with the FOB in my pocket.  It took me a couple of seconds to figure out why the lift gate mysteriously opened by itself.   :hysterical:

#6 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

My concern about the Torklife is some are reporting that the kick open hatch doesn't work as well with the hitch. I had the reprogramming done and my hatch works 100% of the time now. I just don't want to go back to a double kick again. Opinions?

Gary

The kick works for me after installing the Torklift.  I just kick to one side of the receiver or the other.

#7 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

No problem with the kick opening with my Torklift.  In fact, I have to keep my key elsewhere when installing my bike rack to keep the damn thing from opening!

#8 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks guys, I was hoping I could still use the kick hatch option. I want a cargo hitch carrier and this should work fine.

Gary

#9 OFFLINE   Gyrobob

Gyrobob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationNewnan

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Gary

Is there a recent reprogramming available to get the hatch working more reliably?

#10 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationmaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

Thanks guys, I was hoping I could still use the kick hatch option. I want a cargo hitch carrier and this should work fine.

Gary

I installed the Torklift Ecohitch on my NRG, and once I bent the damn tab out of the way that's mentioned in the instructions, installation was relatively easy.

At first I had issues getting the hatch to open on the first kick, but I seem to have found the sweet spot that works 95% of the time...kick just to the left of the hitch receiver so the top of your foot almost grazes the underside of the bumper. Usually works like a charm. Sometimes I have to kick twice, with the first kick 'waking up' the car.

#11 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:18 AM

Is there a recent reprogramming available to get the hatch working more reliably?

This was issued nearly a year ago and it fixed the gate on my hybrid.  My NRG was built later in June and the kick feature works well:

TSB 13-5-6, 2013 C-MAX HANDS-FREE LIFTGATE

ISSUE:

Some 2013 C-MAX vehicles equipped with Hands-Free Liftgate feature may exhibit a condition where the opening feature is inoperative after the vehicle has been locked for three (3) minutes or longer. No diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) will be present.

ACTION:

Reprogram the Rear Gate Trunk Module (RGTM) module to the latest calibration using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) release 84.03 and higher.

#12 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

People can do whatever they want and I'm not familiar with the Torklift, but if it's beyond a bicycle carrier, I'd be careful towing with this car. I had a Freestyle with a CVT and because of the transmission, towing was not recommended and it had a more powerful 2.0L Duratec.

From the C-Max Owner's Manual:

TOWING A TRAILER
WARNING
Never tow a trailer with your
vehicle. This powertrain is not
designed to tow.

Edited by timwil56, 02 April 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

torklift ecohitch is designed to only hold 200 pounds on tongue or trailer more than 2,000.  That's the limit because of how it is bolted to the car.  That's pretty much allowing a bike rack, cargo tray, or trailering a very light rig (canoe trailer anyone??).  With a cargo box, remeber the weight of the tray/box counts in the 200#.  But the CVmax itself not being designed for towing is interesting asn Europe, where the Cmax gas/diesel was born, virtually every car has a hitch for bike racks, cargo trays and a light boat trailer.

#14 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

Towing appears to be much more acceptable outside the US on vehicles that are essentially equal.  This may be because of liability laws or a strategy of moving buyers in the US to different products for their towing.

When I had a Honda Element which was rated for 1,500# towing limit I did some research comparing the towing rating for the Honda C-RV, which was similar to the Element, between the US and Australia.  Basically in AU they allowed up to 3,300# of towing while the US limit was 1,500#.  I can only conclude people in AU are risk-takers or they don't have a lawsuit culture like we do.

--------------------- Australia ------------------ U.S. --------- Element
Specs
Horsepower ----------160 (118kW)---------------- 156 ---------- 156
Torque -------------- 162 (220nM)---------------- 160 ---------- 160
Weight MT/AT ------- 3,197/3,307 (1470/1500kg)-- 3,406/3,472 -- 3,527/3,578
Length -------------- 181" (4610mm)--------------181" ---------- 169"
Wheelbase ---------- N/A------------------------ 103" ---------- 101"

Towing
Auto w/Brakes -------- 2,645# (1200kg)---------- N/A
Manual w/Brakes ------ 3,307# (1500kg)---------- N/A
Either w/o Brakes ----- 1,323# (600kg) ----------- 1,500# ------- 1,500#
Tongue Weight (A/T)-- 265/331# (120/150kg) ---- 150# --------- 150#

• dr61 likes this

#15 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

The C-Max in North America is not like the ones in Europe.  They cannot get the hybrid powertrain; we can only get the hybrid powertrain.

Not to say that theories of legal liability or upselling are necessarily wrong, but nor can you be sure an American C-Max can tow the same as a U.K. C-Max.

#16 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

Sorry if my last post was interpreted as implying USA CMax NRG/Hybrid = Europe Cmax gas/diesel, vis-a-vis towing - I know they are completely different powertrains and NRG is NOT designed for towing.  I only meant the Torklift Ecohitch bolts in the same places on the cars, and is only designed for light duty - the bolts and bolt anchor points are not designed for towing, just for attaching a bike rack, light hitch cargo tray.  A very light boat trailer would be in the tongue and total weight range, but I'm talking a canoe here, not a twin-engine motorboat  :drop:

#17 OFFLINE   mgerencser

mgerencser

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi SEL

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

I'm new to this forum. Just purchased my 2016 Energi and love it so far. I'm wondering if installing a hitch like the Torklift with a bike rack as has been described above would void the bumper to bumper warranty. I seem to recall seeing something written about not placing a bike rack on the rear door...but the hitch seems like a reasonable option based on everyone's experience. Though it's not listed as a certified solution. Only the Thule roof mount is listed for my model...but that's pretty hard on the shoulders and not really a viable option for me at 5'4" tall. Any insight about the impact on the warranty would be appreciated. I can't thank you all enough for your valuable postings. I've learned more from owners than from anyone else about this car!

#18 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 541 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

Magnusson Moss dictates warranty coverage can not be voided unless proven that it causes the failure in question, but some I would call “lazy” dealerships may try to point their finger at the hitch if possible.

Would not be too worried personally....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·