Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Oil Maintenance Mode notice from Ford

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

The revving is the specific thing newbies don't like about an eCVT. They find it disturbing because the sound of the engine isn't increasing with the speed of the car but just stays high. The engine runs at the best speed to generate the output it needs to move the car and actually provides better accelleration because all the power of the drivetrain is available at any speed.

The engine revving does not increase speed because it is part of warming the CAT for emissions. I've said many times now that Ford's patented warm-up strategy retards the timing and uses the traction motor and the battery during this mode to propel the vehicle.

Don the engineer thinks a pressure pump is needed to pressurize the gas tank when pressure is created when liquid gasoline becomes a vapor. 

Gary

Edited by GaryG, 09 March 2014 - 07:19 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

Gary, again with the misinformation. I never said anything about requiring a pressure pump create positive pressure. What I said  is a pressure pump would be required to maintain a positive pressure if the intent were to keep the tank positive pressure all the time. As I said before, without a pump, the tank actually has negative pressure sometimes in order for displacement air to be pulled in.

#43 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

Gary, again with the misinformation. I never said anything about requiring a pressure pump create positive pressure. What I said  is a pressure pump would be required to maintain a positive pressure if the intent were to keep the tank positive pressure all the time. As I said before, without a pump, the tank actually has negative pressure sometimes in order for displacement air to be pulled in.

Look Don, you have fifteen minutes to fill the tank where the vacuum stops filtering the vapors. You are way over your head in understanding the system. There is a vacuum pump to filter gas back to the tank during filling. After that, gasoline vapors start pressurizing the tank. 

Gary

#44 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

Vapor pressure is purely temperature dependent and whether or not there is positive or "negative" pressure in a sealed tank is purely a result of temperature change
and or outside (ambient) pressure change.

Clearly Gary does not understand and is in way over his head when he thinks that gasoline vapor will somehow magically always keep the tank at a positive pressure.

As I said before our cars have the ability to withstand positive pressure but they often have the same as or even lower pressure than the outside (ambient) air pressure. Often the system to neutralize and scrub the vapors does not even have to engage before fill up. During fill up the tank is not sealed and indeed gas will evaporate because of its volatility. However once you stop filling the tank and close the "cap" the inside pressure of the tank is at equilibrium with the outside ambient pressure. Don't believe it, then take a 5 gallon jug down to the gas station and fill it up partly or all the way. Put the cap on the jug and wait a few minutes. Assuming the outside air temperature and pressure has not changed, over the few minutes, remove the cap from the jug and you will not see nor hear any evidence of  air or vapor going in or out of the jug. Vapor pressure alone will not create positive pressure in the tank unless there is a change in temperature or outside air pressure.

Edited by Don, 10 March 2014 - 04:54 AM.

#45 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:37 AM

Look Don, you have fifteen minutes to fill the tank where the vacuum stops filtering the vapors. You are way over your head in understanding the system. There is a vacuum pump to filter gas back to the tank during filling. After that, gasoline vapors start pressurizing the tank. 

Gary

Will your bad information ever stop? There is no mechanism to prevent us from taking longer than fifteen minutes to fill up. While we fill up vapors are recovered by the filler nozzle at the gas station. The car's system can take a while to neutralize pressure (manual says up to 15 seconds), IF REQUIRED, before allowing fill up but once the fuel access opens it is up to the gas station filler nozzle to handle vapor recovery. Gasoline vapors do not pressurize the tank unless the tank is closed and the either the temperature increases and or outside pressure decreases. Obviously you are the on that is "way over your head" when you make up such BS.

Edited by Don, 10 March 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Will your bad information ever stop? There is no mechanism to prevent us from taking longer than fifteen minutes to fill up. While we fill up vapors are recovered by the filler nozzle at the gas station. The car's system can take a while to neutralize pressure (manual says up to 15 seconds), IF REQUIRED, before allowing fill up but once the fuel access opens it is up to the gas station filler nozzle to handle vapor recovery. Gasoline vapors do not pressurize the tank unless the tank is closed and the either the temperature increases and or outside pressure decreases. Obviously you are the on that is "way over your head" when you make up such BS.

Study about RVP of gasoline before you start name calling.

Gary

#47 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

You should take your own advice. It is apparent you still have no clue that vapor pressure does not pressurize a vessel unless parameters such as temperature or external pressure change. It all basically follows PV=nRT. This is all discussed in beginning chemistry and physics classes which apparently did you no good if you ever attended.

Edited by Don, 10 March 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

You should take your own advice. It is apparent you still have no clue that vapor pressure does not pressurize a vessel unless parameters such as temperature or external pressure change. It all basically follows PV=nRT. This is all discussed in beginning chemistry and physics classes which apparently did you no good if you ever attended.

Like I said in the beginning, it's way over your head.

Gary

#49 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

Winter in Cleveland.  Oil Maintenance Mode

Yuck.

Attached Files

#50 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

Winter in Cleveland.  Oil Maintenance Mode

Yuck.

If it ever happens to me I'm thinking it's time to take a 25 mile joy-ride just to get it over with.

• tr7driver likes this

#51 OFFLINE   Shellback1970

Shellback1970

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationLandenberg, PA
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

drdiesel1, you are 100% correct. Don is so far out in left field, he can't be seen!
  • drdiesel1 likes this

#52 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

Rubymax,

In order to avoid OMM, you need to either run the engine until warmup is complete (temp gage at 1/2) or not run the engine at all.  OMM will not trigger in these situations but short runs of the engine seem to do it.

Maybe try to improve your EV driving so you can get there on EV only or cut back on some heat to extend the EV range.

-=>Raja.

#53 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:05 AM

Rubymax,

In order to avoid OMM, you need to either run the engine until warmup is complete (temp gage at 1/2) or not run the engine at all.  OMM will not trigger in these situations but short runs of the engine seem to do it.

Maybe try to improve your EV driving so you can get there on EV only or cut back on some heat to extend the EV range.

-=>Raja.

20 below wind chills this week, the seat heaters alone just don't do enough for me.

I surely prefer EV driving, but for me, it's not essential !

#54 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

Yeah okay just burn some gas then as I totally understand what you're used to, it's cheap enough these days.

-=>Raja.

#55 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationRedding
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

I am so happy that I found this discussion. My car did this Oil Engine Maintenance thing this afternoon and will not run in electric mode. I called to make an appointment for an oil change but now I know that is not the problem. I was thinking something was really wrong because I changed my oil in August 2016 and only put on 1000 miles since that time. I will cancel my appointment tomorrow and run my car the 20 miles it needs and then put in some fresh gas. Thank you so much for putting information out there that we can all understand. You guys rock!!!!!

#56 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:44 AM

I changed my oil in August 2016 and only put on 1000 miles since that time.

mary, are you having any issues with the car starting (powering up) with so little use?  Or do you mean, you've only had 1,000 miles of gasoline driving since August?

#57 OFFLINE   maryinredding

maryinredding

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationRedding
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

What I was meaning was that I had only put 1000 miles on it since it's last oil change. Since I posted my car has now gone out of the oil maintenance mode and back into using electric. The original poster was correct in saying you had to run the car continuesly for about 20 mi to get it out of that mode. I bet that if I had taken the car to ford for this they would not have known what was happening. I think one of the reasons it happened now is that we have been experiencing a very cold spell and the car is trying to warm things up quickly thus using the motor to do this. Now that I know what's going on I will not be alarmed when I see this message again.We sometimes don't use the car for a week at a time (we are bicyclists) so when the cold snap hit we started using the car for short errands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·