Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

EV+ mode

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

When the NRG was first purchased, after a couple hundred miles or so it knew where "home" is and would kick into the EV+ mode when close to home.  After the last software update (done about 12/9/13) it no longer kicks into EV+ when approaching home.  The last software update done was:

Reprogrammed PCM as per TSB 13-12-17 to DM5A-12A650-VD calibration

Since then about 1000 miles have been put on the car, mostly around home.  If fact, tonight we went out running in EV mode and when in sight of the house the mileage remaining dropped from 1 to 0 and a few hundred feet later the ICE started for the last few hundred feet until parked in the gargage.  Before the PCM was reprogrammed it definitely would have been in the EV+ mode.

Do I need to reset anything or does anyone have any other suggestions or similar observations to post?

Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,212 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Do I need to reset anything or does anyone have any other suggestions or similar observations to post?

Most likely the last update reset your personal preferences, which includes EV+, back to factory spec.   By default, it is off.   Go into the settings menu on the left screen to find it.

#3 OFFLINE   billh

billh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Lucille, I have a similar problem. I got the Energi in September and after a few weeks  EV+ came on when the car got close to home. Lately, EV+ has not come on near home but it does come on when I get close to another location I frequent and that location has no charger.

Doug, I checked settings and EV+ is on.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,

Bill

#4 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Most likely the last update reset your personal preferences, which includes EV+, back to factory spec.   By default, it is off.   Go into the settings menu on the left screen to find it.

Indeed the EV+ mode was back to the the default mode of "off", so I selected the "on" mode.  Haven't driven it yet but I'm sure the problem is solved.

Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Lucille, I have a similar problem. I got the Energi in September and after a few weeks  EV+ came on when the car got close to home. Lately, EV+ has not come on near home but it does come on when I get close to another location I frequent and that location has no charger.

Doug, I checked settings and EV+ is on.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,

Bill

You can go to the settings menu and reset the Lifetime Summary as described on pages 108 & 187 of the Owners Manual.  This will clear ALL of the learned EV+ destinations previously learned, HOWEVER note the other items that will be cleared as described on page 108.  Hopefully this will solve your situation.

#6 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:03 AM

I haven't tried this in my NRG but I have in our CMax hybrid:  You can force learn an EV+ location by power cycling the car on and off (foot on the brake) 11 times in a row while parked; takes less than a minute.  The next time you arrive there you should see an EV+ indicator.  IIRC, it will only store 5 locations.

#7 OFFLINE   edweird

edweird

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 182 posts
  • LocationDaytona Beach, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

My vehicle learned my home (where I charge) in about a week of one or two trips a day.  A second location that I drive to frequently, but never charge at took about 2 weeks to start showing up as EV+.

#8 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Just went out and on return when near home EV+ mode switched on!

Thanks for your suggestion fotomoto

• fotomoto likes this

#9 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

EV+ mode save my bacon today.   Went to the gas station (opposite direction) after work to get some................. ice.   :hysterical:     Anyways..... Leaving the store, I saw I was down to 1 mile EV with about 2 miles to get home.  With 5 o'clock traffic, driving ulta-slow wasn't going to happen so I just kept the start/stops as smooth as possible and prayed for the EV+ to come on.   I ended up traveling 1.8 miles.  WHEW!   :drop:

95E059A0-37BA-4A02-8C18-3372F2121E99_zps

BONUS:  all this happened as I surpassed the 3,000 miles mark yet still on the dealers gas. :rockon:  

Edited by fotomoto, 04 February 2014 - 03:43 PM.

• dr61 and GuyFromCanada like this

#10 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

No need to buy ice. I would be happy to send you some of ours. We expect another "delivery" overnight.

You would probably have made it anyway. The 3D battery means that you still had some EV capacity left. The distance estimate seems to read low as the battery nears empty and you are on the local streets near home because you are driving slower and it was based on your entire trip (possibly lower MPG highway miles). The miles displayed represents the integer of the actual miles predicted. Thus 1 mile displayed might be 1.95 miles and 0 might be close to 1 mile. And then comes the EV+ as the icing on the cake to give you another 1/2 mile or so after the EV portion of the battery is used up if you are lucky because it expects to be plugged in when you get home (or ar least that the ICE will need to run anyway to warm up when the car restarts if it doesn't get a charge).

This is best example where the EV+ is useful. Most other times it is good for conversation but not much more because the car will typically run the ICE in anticipation of EV+ shortly before you get into range if the ICE is enabled.

Also, when was your NRG built? I thought they got rid of MPGe with Job 3.

#11 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

No need to buy ice. I would be happy to send you some of ours. We expect another "delivery" overnight.

............................. And then comes the EV+ as the icing on the cake .........................................

Spelling corrected.............ICEing on the cake

#12 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:22 AM

ICEing is not allowed on this site! It is considered impolite.

#13 OFFLINE   mdntblu

mdntblu

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCorona, CA
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

So what happens if you get close to your house and it shows EV+ and you never go home, you keep driving around your house will it continue to use battery from the Hybrid portion of the battery until it runs out? Would you be able to get more range from your total EV miles during that charge? Just curious because I see some people talking about how they got 33.9 mi on 1 charge by supercharging (cooling the cabin to 73° while running the car and plugged in. Anyways just wondering if the EV+ is actually how they got 33.9 mi on their display.

#14 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

EV+ gives you 2 bars of power allowance on the hybrid battery even though the hybrid battery is dying. 

It will maintain 2 bars until the voltage drops too low, and then suddenly the 2 bars will drop to 1 bar or less if you keep driving in EV+ around the house.  If you pass the house and drive away, eventually EV+ will go out on its own.

The whole idea of EV plus is to give you 2 bars so you have less of a chance of starting the engine when the battery is dying.  Its not intended to give you more out of the battery, and it really doesn't, just gives you a higher threshold as long as it can if that makes sense.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 22 August 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:39 PM

So what happens if you get close to your house and it shows EV+ and you never go home, you keep driving around your house will it continue to use battery from the Hybrid portion of the battery until it runs out? Would you be able to get more range from your total EV miles during that charge? Just curious because I see some people talking about how they got 33.9 mi on 1 charge by supercharging (cooling the cabin to 73° while running the car and plugged in. Anyways just wondering if the EV+ is actually how they got 33.9 mi on their display.

Super charge your battery and see what you can get. I didn't use the super charge and managed 29 miles

before it switched over to hybrid mode. It all depends on how well you use the available EV power stored.

• edweird and mdntblu like this

#16 OFFLINE   Taz

Taz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationVaries between MSP & SNA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Avalon Hybrid, Ford Flex EgoBoost

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

I understand the concept of the EV+ but I am not sure I would like to use it. While I haven't checked the state of charge (SOC) when it would go into EV+ mode, my concern would be running the battery into an even deeper cycle thus limiting its lifespan.

On my NRG, when the car's energy display on the charging screen shows 0%, the actual SOC according to Torque is about 17%. The closer you get to a full discharge (where actual battery charge is at or almost 0%), the less charge cycles you get from the battery.

Has anyone measure how low EV+ will actually let the battery pack get?

#17 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

I once got the Hybrid battery mostly depleted in EV+ mode and the SOC per a ScanGauge indicated 14.5%. This took a bit of effort. Normally it does not get much below 16%. The HVB Average Cell voltage usually gets no lower that 3.5V. I think the lowest average cell voltage I have ever seen was 3.36V but that does not occur often. I have also monitored the minimum cell voltage and it always matches the average cell voltage. 

I don't see any reason not to use EV+. I checked the 2013 manual and it looks like EV+ can be shut off in the driver assist section of the settings menu. 

Tom

#18 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

EV+ is intended for the last 1/3 of a mile or so home (or a frequent destination like work) and gives you 2 bars limit even though the bar limit is lower at the time.

You won't empty the battery any more than 14.5%, if you use that 2 bar limit and the battery drops close to 14.5%, suddenly the 2 bars are taken away and you end up with 1/2 bar or whatever is left at that time.  I've been there and done that.  The difference is that in EV plus if you need to climb a shallow hill to get home you can easier with a 2 bar limit than with less than that.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·