Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Check Engine Light Problem

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   albert

albert

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

drdiesel,   thanks for your input.  You're right, I will find out if they fixed it lol.  It's been a day since I got the car back and the code hasn't appeared yet, but I have done very little driving with the gas engine.  I will come back and let you know if the code reappears.  It might be awhile even if it's not fixed because I do most of my driving with the electric motor, but eventually I will take a long trip with the car and we will see what happens.

thanks

• drdiesel1 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   White lightning

White lightning

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:15 AM

Albert,

It sounds like we are having similar experiences.  When we first bought the car we had the same issues with the check engine light and two replaced evap purge valves within 3 months.   Now 10+ months later the same issue has arisen again and we are receiving another purge valve installation.  How has your vehicle been running since the most recent repair? 

#23 OFFLINE   Steve Friedberg

Steve Friedberg

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:50 AM

Add another to the growing list.  My check engine light went on the other day, despite my having driven less than 2,000 miles in my 2014 C-MAX Energi.  The dealership was very comfortable about replacing the canister purge valve (#9C915) at no charge, since the car is obviously under warranty.

Seems to me that Ford may want to examine this problem more closely, since I think we've moved well beyond the level of sheer coincidence.

#24 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

Add another to the growing list.  My check engine light went on the other day, despite my having driven less than 2,000 miles in my 2014 C-MAX Energi.  The dealership was very comfortable about replacing the canister purge valve (#9C915) at no charge, since the car is obviously under warranty.

Seems to me that Ford may want to examine this problem more closely, since I think we've moved well beyond the level of sheer coincidence.

I have over 11,000 miles on my Energi and have never seen a check engine light. There's always a chance a faulty part will slip through, I believe it's more likely random than coincidental.

#25 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

They have issued a TSB for the purge valve problem.

#26 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, I got caught by the TSB over the weekend. Reprogram the PCM and change out the valve.

#27 OFFLINE   mdchachi

mdchachi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSE Michigan
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

For what it's worth, my engine light came on at 9600 miles and stayed on for over a week.  So I took it in. The paperwork says they saw a P04EF code and performed TSB 14-0193 (Reprogram PCM and install new purge valve). Part # AU5Z-9C915-D.  Got the recall (restraints control module reprogramming) done while I was at it. 

Unfortunately the tech couldn't find any issue with my radio despite the fact that I demonstrated it to the adviser. Annoying.  But they had already kept the car overnight and I was in a hurry so I let it go.

Edited by mdchachi, 20 March 2015 - 08:20 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

For what it's worth, my engine light came on at 9600 miles and stayed on for over a week.  So I took it in. The paperwork says they saw a P04EF code and performed TSB 14-0193 (Reprogram PCM and install new purge valve). Part # AU5Z-9C915-D.  Got the recall (restraints control module reprogramming) done while I was at it. 

Unfortunately the tech couldn't find any issue with my radio despite the fact that I demonstrated it to the adviser. Annoying.  But they had already kept the car overnight and I was in a hurry so I let it go.

Yeah, that one happened to me a couple of months ago.

#29 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

Steve or others, did you lose regen miles when the PCM was programmed or anything else that you noticed?

-=>Raja.

#30 OFFLINE   koctail

koctail

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSanta Clara
  • Current Vehicle:14 NRG

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

Is the Orange wrench and the CEL the same or different? I got the Orange wrench and it said to look at owner's manual. I looked and I really couldn't find anything other than it seemed I was due for my first service as I have 9K miles on my 14 CMAX Energi. I took it in and they changed oil and when i left about a couple minutes later the orange wrench popped up again. I took it back a few days later and they told me the wrench doesn't have anyting to do with changing oil and I need to bring the car back again during the week. They also wouldn't confirm they would give me a rental car. Not real happy that they changed oil but didn't realize that there was something else going on at the time and didn't even check it out? This was at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara.

#31 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

Steve or others, did you lose regen miles when the PCM was programmed or anything else that you noticed?

-=>Raja.

No, I didn't see any change.

#32 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

Is the Orange wrench and the CEL the same or different? I got the Orange wrench and it said to look at owner's manual. I looked and I really couldn't find anything other than it seemed I was due for my first service as I have 9K miles on my 14 CMAX Energi. I took it in and they changed oil and when i left about a couple minutes later the orange wrench popped up again. I took it back a few days later and they told me the wrench doesn't have anyting to do with changing oil and I need to bring the car back again during the week. They also wouldn't confirm they would give me a rental car. Not real happy that they changed oil but didn't realize that there was something else going on at the time and didn't even check it out? This was at Frontier Ford in Santa Clara.

Maybe you can find a different dealer? This one seems clueless. That orange wrench light means a maintenance problem. I've not seen it, but the left display should actually tell you when the oil change is due; it is not the orange light.

Ford doesn't supply a rental car unless you have the extended warranty. Local dealers might give you one, but that is on their dime.

#33 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Did you take it in on a Saturday ? Techs work M-F only. The lube guys don't do technical work.

Maybe the dealer should have informed you that the techs don't work on Saturday or you just assumed

they would fix it automagically ?????

#34 OFFLINE   mangles

mangles

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

Just turned 4,000 miles on my 2014 Cmax Engeri today.  In the last two weeks I have had three P04EF events which I cleared each time with my OBDII scanner.  Tomorrow I will call the dealer.  After reading the other posts here I do not feel good about this as the dealer is Frontier Ford in Santa Clara.  With that said after reading the posts here I feel knowledgeable enough to deal with the dealer.

#35 OFFLINE   JonC

JonC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX:2013

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:55 AM

So, I've got this problem.  The dealer wants $218 to replace the canister purge valve.  I'm wondering if anybody knows where the part is, I'm thinking about trying it myself if I don't have to take apart too much of the car to get to it, it looks like the valve itself is $12.50 on Amazon, and held in with two bolts. 

#36 OFFLINE   Christopher Witzel

Christopher Witzel

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

They are fairly easy to change, but we've had a huge run of bad luck with them across all models. I would not trust that one from Amazon. If anything, try tasca Ford parts website, they usually make a good deal. Just two 8mm bolts and a clip. Just be very careful with the clip. You squeeze the two fingers together and push them through at the same time, so the other side pops out, then gently wiggle the hose off.

Attached Files

#37 OFFLINE   Christopher Witzel

Christopher Witzel

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

Actually looking at my picture it may in fact be a squeeze two sides together to release the hose. I guess you'll know if it's got four sides or two fingers

#38 OFFLINE   JonC

JonC

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Thank you!  It was right in front of my face, I'm surprised I didn't see it.

Why wouldn't you trust the one from Amazon?  I can get a Ford one for about $25, but I've seen that they tend to fail pretty frequently, I was thinking about going with the cheapie.

#39 OFFLINE   rhea

rhea

• 171 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOkeechobee, FL

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

I have this DTC p04ef on my 2013 Energi. Can I expect our Ford-purchased extended warranty to cover this (minus deductible)? TIA.

#40 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

Should, its a simple part.