Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Remove Antenna to go through car wash?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

1.  Should you remove the rear antenna prior to going through automatic car wash?

2.  If so, do you just grab it near the base and untwist?

3.  What about water getting into the threaded hole and collecting in the base?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

I don't know, but I wouldn't take my car through the car wash. The dirty brushes kill the clearcoat.

Your car will look like crap in the summer.  Why not DIY or use a spaywash joint.

#3 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't remove it but do the the "76" orange ball off of it first!

#4 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

I replaced mine with the shark fin antenna. I only wash it in my driveway anyway. 

#5 OFFLINE   lucille

lucille

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

I don't know, but I wouldn't take my car through the car wash. The dirty brushes kill the clearcoat.

Your car will look like crap in the summer.  Why not DIY or use a spaywash joint.

Hey, I agree that automatic car washes aren't a plus, but we do have one locally that has felt strips that "slosh" back and forth rather than rotating brushes and they have a hard nosed attendant that will not allow a vehicle with mud or sand to go through it.  They have to first pre-clean it in the manual spray area.

If on a winter day with the temp above freezing and I feel a little lazy, please don't place me on the sacrilegious list for using it.

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#6 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hey, I agree that automatic car washes aren't a plus, but we do have one locally that has felt strips that "slosh" back and forth rather than rotating brushes and they have a hard nosed attendant that will not allow a vehicle with mud or sand to go through it.  They have to first pre-clean it in the manual spray area.

If on a winter day with the temp above freezing and I feel a little lazy, please don't place me on the sacrilegious list for using it.

:hysterical: Okay!  You get a winter hall pass :wink:

#7 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

Just think about the felt strips sloshing back and forth grinding the grit into the finish.  If the brush/sponge/strip isn't rinsed after bringing the soap to the car, then you're just making a wet slurry grinding paste.  I read about the "2-bucket" method of washing a car, bought a buket grid for one bucket and now use it exclusively DIY.

#8 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

Most car finishes are pretty tough these days, with a clear layer over the paint.  I had a 1999 Tahoe for 8 years and never washed it anywhere but automatic car washes.  I left the antenna (about 16 inches tall) on all the time.  I didn't see any visible damage to the paint or antenna after all that time.  Likewise for the two cars I had in the next 6 years.

Of course I'm not personally guaranteeing something won't scratch your car or break your antenna if you take it through the car wash today, just sayin' it hasn't happened to me in a long time.  I'll keep taking the chance and if I get a scratch every 15 years I'll touch it up or probably just ignore it if it's not all the way to the metal.

In the end I suppose it all comes down to your individual psychology and how terrible you'd feel if your finish got scratched.

Edited by viajero, 14 December 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

Most car finishes are pretty tough these days, with a clear layer over the paint.  I had a 1999 Tahoe for 8 years and never washed it anywhere but automatic car washes.  I left the antenna (about 16 inches tall) on all the time.  I didn't see any visible damage to the paint or antenna after all that time.  Likewise for the two cars I had in the next 6 years.

Of course I'm not personally guaranteeing something won't scratch your car or break your antenna if you take it through the car wash today, just sayin' it hasn't happened to me in a long time.  I'll keep taking the chance and if I get a scratch every 15 years I'll touch it up or probably just ignore it if it's not all the way to the metal.

In the end I suppose it all comes down to your individual psychology and how terrible you'd feel if your finish got scratched.

It gets scratched everytime you run it through. The clear coat gets dull and it looks terrible on dark colored paint.

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#10 OFFLINE   carloss

carloss

• 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

Because of the current draught, I have no option but to got through a car wash or risk getting fined by the city if any of my neighbors rat me out.  Who sells the "shark fin" antenna.

Edited by carloss, 09 September 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:56 AM

I got my through JuicedHybrid. The color match was perfect. I don't use automatic any car wash but it looks like it should not have any issues.

http://www.juicedhyb...enna-s/1345.htm

#12 OFFLINE   thedak

thedak

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

Just think about the felt strips sloshing back and forth grinding the grit into the finish.  If the brush/sponge/strip isn't rinsed after bringing the soap to the car, then you're just making a wet slurry grinding paste.  I read about the "2-bucket" method of washing a car, bought a buket grid for one bucket and now use it exclusively DIY.

C-Max is my DD.   :shift:

Ain't 2 bucketing it.  

#13 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

C-Max is my DD.   :shift:

Ain't 2 bucketing it.  

Sorry, I didn't get the abbreviation - DD?

#14 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Sorry, I didn't get the abbreviation - DD?

Assuming Daily Driver
  • jeff_h likes this

#15 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 423 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

I would rather go through a car wash then let that salt/ice sit on the car if given a choice.

I'd remove the antenna, and if my memory serves me correctly, I've done it in the past to take it through one of those washes.  It may just be a little difficult to reach it, depending on your height.  Just like you said, grab near the base and untwist, again, if my memory isn't failing me....

#16 OFFLINE   Juhuti

Juhuti

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi SEL

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

New to the forum.  No brushless automatic car washes in the area?

• Kermit and Levi Smith like this

#17 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:39 AM

If your concerned, remove it, why do you need to ask? It unscrews very easily, take it off while you're waiting in line. Another option is to purchase a stubby antenna, it looks better and there's no risk of it breaking in the car wash.

#18 ONLINE   bschwerdt

bschwerdt

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 420 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSyracuse, NY
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 CMax Energi, 302A / 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:51 AM

I'm glad this thread got bumped, and I saw it.  Not so much for the original topic, as for the shark fin antenna.  When going on vacations, I put a Thule box on the roof to hold our gear.  Every time I do, I have to remove the original antenna.  It's a hassle, I lose radio reception, and in the winter time (e.g. every year at Christmas), I worry about snow and ice getting into the opening.  The shark fin is the perfect solution (plus it looks cool!).  Thanks for the link, I'll be picking one up for myself!

Regarding washing, I prefer the touchless car washes so that nothing is grinding someone else's dirt (and my own) into the car's finish.  The car will get scratched here and there from use, but the grinding will absolutely make your car look dull.

I also use the two-bucket method when washing at home.  It really doesn't take any more time, and it leaves the car that much shinier.  You can somewhat restore the shine with a good wax job (the wax fills in the tiny scratches), but I'd prefer not to wax every time I wash.

#19 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'm glad this thread got bumped, and I saw it.  Not so much for the original topic, as for the shark fin antenna.  When going on vacations, I put a Thule box on the roof to hold our gear.  Every time I do, I have to remove the original antenna.  It's a hassle, I lose radio reception, and in the winter time (e.g. every year at Christmas), I worry about snow and ice getting into the opening.  The shark fin is the perfect solution (plus it looks cool!).  Thanks for the link, I'll be picking one up for myself!

Regarding washing, I prefer the touchless car washes so that nothing is grinding someone else's dirt (and my own) into the car's finish.  The car will get scratched here and there from use, but the grinding will absolutely make your car look dull.

I also use the two-bucket method when washing at home.  It really doesn't take any more time, and it leaves the car that much shinier.  You can somewhat restore the shine with a good wax job (the wax fills in the tiny scratches), but I'd prefer not to wax every time I wash.

I have had the shark fin antenna for most of the almost three years I have had the car and it has worked well. I also agree that it looks much better than the the OEM antenna. The color was a perfect match too!

Tom

#20 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

This is what I replaced my OEM antenna with. Cheap and easy.

http://www.cravenspe...by-Antenna.html

Attached File  P1020614.JPG   86.15KB   1 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·