Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

$300 Flat Tire

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

I have a 2013 C-max with 10,000 miles and the left front tire completely split and deflated.  Without a spare we followed the manual instructions which said the tire must be towed to a ford dealer at Ford's expense.  The dealer now says the tire is split and we must buy a new tire.  Has anyone ever heard of a tire splitting at 10,000 miles in our driveway.  Seems like Ford should cover this under warranty.  Anyone with similar issues?

Tire manufacturer covers tire failure warranty.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

Probably when my originals wear out or I get a 300.00 flat I will probably get run flats, I had them on my Sienna and  they were heavy they are still 6lbs more than the non run flat, but hopefully thye can get the weight down in a few years.

http://www.tirerack....gi&autoModClar=

#43 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

Probably when my originals wear out or I get a 300.00 flat I will probably get run flats, I had them on my Sienna and  they were heavy they are still 6lbs more than the non run flat, but hopefully thye can get the weight down in a few years.

http://www.tirerack....gi&autoModClar=

Your MPG's will suffer greatly.

#44 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

not sure why you think mpg would go down that much they are LRR runflats

#45 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

not sure why you think mpg would go down that much they are LRR runflats

You said they are 6 pounds heavier than OEM tires, There is no question from my experience your MPG will drop around 4 MPG and EV range the same when adding 24 pounds to the tires. It's not like adding 24 pounds inside the car, you're adding 24 pounds to get the car rolling which is a much bigger deal. It doesn't matter that the tires are LRR when you add that much weight to the rims.

Gary

#46 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

Is a spare really necessary?  Most likely not hence why it doesn't exist in the cmax.

It doesn't exist in the C-Max because it costs money and takes up space.  If you only drive on paved roads, only drive where you have cell service, and are willing to wait however long it takes for a tow truck to get there, a spare is probably not necessary (or, like my parents, you're just not physically able to change a tire).

Those cases actually cover a majority of the people a majority of the time, so Ford thought they could get away without providing a spare.  But I've gotten a couple flats out in the boonies where I couldn't call for help, roadside assistance or AAA wouldn't cover it (dirt roads), and it would probably take me a whole day (and mucho $$$) to get a tow truck out there.

I've also had a couple sidewall leaks.  One was my own fault where I scraped a curb and one was just a puncture that wasn't on on the tread.  Plugs are not recommended for sidewall punctures.

So, I paid the money and gave up the space for a full size wheel and tire.  I only take it when I'm on road trips.  I just wish Ford had made it an option, including a solid place to mount it, either inside or on a swing-away tire carrier.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#47 OFFLINE   miboje

miboje

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPA
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi, Ford F-350 SD w/ 6.0 PSD

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:26 AM

I've never tried it, but why can't you repair a tire with a string kit without jacking it up?  Can't you just roll the car until the leak is exposed on the tire and plug it?  With the tire pump it should be easy to find, normally.

Paying $300 sucks.  The cost of these tires are insane.

It can be done. We did it. Rolled the car forward just enough to see the culprit - a screw- and had just enough room for a large hand and the plug kit tools. My fiance used it as an opportunity to teach me how to use the plug kit, and now the kit stays in the car. We were grateful it was just a screw.

Edited by miboje, 11 November 2014 - 04:30 AM.

• dr61 likes this

#48 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

I have seen this question asked but not answered.  Will the non Energi compact spare work on the rear of the Energi so if you got a front flat you could move a rear tire forward?  

#49 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have seen this question asked but not answered.  Will the non Energi compact spare work on the rear of the Energi so if you got a front flat you could move a rear tire forward?  

As long as the spare fit the car, YES!

#50 OFFLINE   jitter_man

jitter_man

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationBoston
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:53 AM

My flat tire cost me $394. And I haven't bought a replacement sealant cartridge yet. $220 for the tire, and $128 for the TPMS sensor, then labor and taxes came out to $394 and some change. I questioned the Ford dealer about the price of the sensor, (I was expecting about $15), they told me  "$128 is a great price. At a Toyota dealer it would be around $300". I find that hard to believe. I thought about buying a temporary spare, but I would also have to buy a jack and tools for changing the flat. Also, is there a safe support structure around the wheel well to put the jack? Where am I going to store the spare and tools?

#51 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

My flat tire cost me $394. And I haven't bought a replacement sealant cartridge yet. $220 for the tire, and $128 for the TPMS sensor, then labor and taxes came out to $394 and some change. I questioned the Ford dealer about the price of the sensor, (I was expecting about $15), they told me  "$128 is a great price. At a Toyota dealer it would be around $300". I find that hard to believe. I thought about buying a temporary spare, but I would also have to buy a jack and tools for changing the flat. Also, is there a safe support structure around the wheel well to put the jack? Where am I going to store the spare and tools?

How did you damage the tire beyond repair ???

#52 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:16 AM

He said it split but not sure why/how the sensor was damaged?

#53 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

He said it split but not sure why/how the sensor was damaged?

He said he hasn't replaced the sealer can, so he probably used the tire sealant. 

Tires don't just split unless driven on low air pressure.  Then they come apart.

#54 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationdenver

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:41 AM

yes I heard tire sealant destroys the tps I really wonder if it really does or they would just rather sell you a new one vs cleaning the old one

Tire rack has them pretty cheap

Attached Files

#55 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

Dealer "policy" might be to put a new one in every time they replace the tire, even though the original might still be good.  Just a way of selling more stuff.

-=>Raja.

#56 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:34 PM

TPMS reads tire temperature and tire pressure. The sensor has an orifice that will get plugged

with the tire sealant and block it's ability to read pressure.  I doubt anyone would try to sell replacements

just because they're changing a tire. They do have a battery and the expected life is around 5 years.

#57 OFFLINE   John A Smith

John A Smith

• C-MAX Energi Facebook
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, California
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Energi

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

I asked my tire shop what I should do if I'm forced to use the sealant.  I was told if I get it repaired quickly, like the same day quickly, the tire and sensor can usually be washed and salvaged. 

#58 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:17 PM

John,

Don't use the sealant unless it's a last resort, keep a tire repair it for with the rubber plug and the needle to put it in and then use the cars compressor to re-inflate the tire.

-=>Raja.

#59 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

John,

Don't use the sealant unless it's a last resort, keep a tire repair it for with the rubber plug and the needle to put it in and then use the cars compressor to re-inflate the tire.

-=>Raja.

We established that on page #1

#60 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 27 September 2015 - 10:57 PM

Spank me! My fault these threads get so old I forget what was said in the past and don't read the entire thread every time only the last new posts in it.

-=>Raja.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·