Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

26.8 Miles Before The ICE Started - New Personal Record - Now 27.0!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

My previous best was 25.2 as noted here: http://fordcmaxenerg...les-on-battery/ .  Beautiful day, 75F, driving at 35-40 around town using coasting regen as often as possible, with A/C on at 70F for half the trip.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 12 February 2014 - 06:40 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Funny you post this today as I was just wondering if there is a distance challenge thread.  

Edit:  challenge thread added here:  http://fordcmaxenerg...es-on-1-charge/

Edited by fotomoto, 03 April 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Having a thread on "Miles Before ICE Starts" would be good, but there can't be gravity cheating!  I went from Point A to Point B back to Point A.  Going from the top of Pikes Peak to the bottom would not count!

So unless one is in Florida or Kansas it would need to be a round-trip event to be meaningful for others to attempt to emulate.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 17 November 2013 - 05:12 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Well, there can't be gravity cheating!  I went from Point A to Point A.  Going from Pikes Peak to the bottom would be cheating!

But bring it on!

Yeah, point A to A.  I think I read somewhere that it's Mt. Rainier that has the best coast down road; something like 100+ miles of overall down slope to the ocean.  Could be wrong though, I read it on the internet.  LOL

#5 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"
--Abraham Lincoln
  • fotomoto, Izzy and Kermit like this

#6 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

The hybrid forum found a handy web site for tracking the elevation change of any route.

http://fordcmaxhybri...tion#entry31462

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#7 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

The biggest downhill I remember doing was west from Crater Lake in 1999.  I put that back into GPS Visualizer and came up with this profile.  A few little uphills but now I wonder if an Energi could do this 100 mile trip without using any gas at all.  If you got enough regen at the beginning you might be able to do it even starting with an empty battery!

Crater Lake to Grants Pass

This is from Crater Lake to Grants Pass.

Anyone in Oregon or northern California feel like trying it?

Edited by viajero, 17 November 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

The downhill I do frequently (but not yet with the C-Max Energi) is from Donner Summit on I80 to Roseville, CA, about a 7000' drop.  There are a few short uphills on this route of 74 miles.

Another nearby big drop is from the Everett Memorial Highway end (7825') on Mt. Shasta  to Redding, CA (487') in 75 miles. The first 4200' or so of the drop to Mt. Shasta City has no uphill sections. The start point is where the old Mt. Shasta ski area used to be before an avalanche took it out. Lots of good hiking and climbing trails start near this spot.   Sometime I will try this route, planning to have no charge left when we arrive at the top, and I'll see if we can get home with no gas use. I figure I'll get at least the first 50 miles without gas.

#9 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

The hybrid forum found a handy web site for tracking the elevation change of any route.

http://fordcmaxhybri...tion#entry31462

I've used that tool successfully before but was unable to get it to show this trip so I used the Google Earth Path tool.  Here was my trip - about a 300 ft drop to the downtown area then back up.  And the trip record for people that don't believe stuff on the Internet.

Attached File  26.jpg   38.28KB   1 downloadsAttached File  26.8 Trip.JPG   34.26KB   2 downloads

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 17 November 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   craigshelley

craigshelley

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302A w/Panoramic Sunroof

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

The biggest downhill I remember doing was west from Crater Lake in 1999.  I put that back into GPS Visualizer and came up with this profile.  A few little uphills but now I wonder if an Energi could do this 100 mile trip without using any gas at all.  If you got enough regen at the beginning you might be able to do it even starting with an empty battery!

This is from Crater Lake to Grants Pass.

Anyone in Oregon or northern California feel like trying it?

I drove around crater lake in ev later storing electricity and then drove to Klamath falls. I started using ev now to drain the battery. It charged to 98% and I drove to within about two miles of Klamath on ev only because of the descent. It was kind of fun.
  • dr61 likes this

#11 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:30 AM

Another good distance on all-electricity yesterday.  Driving around town - traffic lights every 1/2 mile.  Temp 65.  No A/C - fan on 3.

25.8 before the ICE started.  I would probably have these more often but most of our trips are 10-15 miles.

• dr61 likes this

#12 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,184 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

Between the current cold fronts when it warms back up into the 70's, I've seen 28 estimates but I've never purposely tried to reach it.  Hmm......

#13 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I have never gotten as much as 5.4 kwh and have long wondered if something is wrong with my battery. I used to average just under 5 but now it is slightly over 5 since I got the L2 charger. I hadn't expect that as a benefit.
  • Mike likes this

#14 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Slightly improved on my previous best with 27.0 miles today before the ICE started.  Also another duplicate of the weather at 74 (sorry rest of nation!) and running the AC for about 10 miles.

• dr61, fotomoto and GuyFromCanada like this

#15 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

I had another 26.8 mile trip today before the ICE started.  Just driving around town from store to store looking for a coffee maker.  Temp was about 78F.  AC on.  Driving at 40-45 with lots of stops.  I never use the N coasting technique, nor L.

I so seldom do trips above 15 miles so I haven't experienced this high miles but three times, but now I think I could routinely get about 25 miles on EV.

BTW, I got 43.6 MPG during the 17 mile hybrid portion of the trip.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 12 March 2014 - 01:08 PM.

• dr61 likes this

#16 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

My best is around 29 miles, I forgot if it was 29.2 or 28.9 miles, it was a few months ago.  I never used N or L either, just D.  At the end of the trip I was in the city and only doing 25mph tops, that's for the last 2 miles or so.  Had to nurse it to get to the charger, and I did lt several times (that same trip) a couple of times the engine started within a mile from the charger, the other times I made it no problem.

-=>Raja.

• dr61 likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Middleofnowhere

Middleofnowhere

Eating steak and making cows into Energi seats...

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationInland Empire, California
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

I have found that a rapid regeneration seems to boost my battery's range for the next couple of charges.  For instance, I often drive up to Big Bear here in SoCal.  Driving down highway 38 from 8400' to my house at about 3000', I am able to regenerate approximately 14-miles of range by using the regenerative braking feature.  When I park at home and recharge, I will see an estimated range of up to 37 miles on the info screen in the morning.  I often get into the high 20s to low 30s of range in "EV now" when I commute my regular route to work. I usually only get in the low 20s for range before the ICE kicks in every morning for my work commute.

I think the rapid regen while coming down the mountain does something with the battery, which seems to give a boost to it's range.

• dr61 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   craigshelley

craigshelley

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302A w/Panoramic Sunroof

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

I have found that a rapid regeneration seems to boost my battery's range for the next couple of charges.  For instance, I often drive up to Big Bear here in SoCal.  Driving down highway 38 from 8400' to my house at about 3000', I am able to regenerate approximately 14-miles of range by using the regenerative braking feature.  When I park at home and recharge, I will see an estimated range of up to 37 miles on the info screen in the morning.  I often get into the high 20s to low 30s of range in "EV now" when I commute my regular route to work. I usually only get in the low 20s for range before the ICE kicks in every morning for my work commute.

I think the rapid regen while coming down the mountain does something with the battery, which seems to give a boost to it's range.

It's not clear whether you are talking about the actual range (as measured by you) or whether you are stating that the car's estimate of your range is longer on future trips.  If it is the later, the car's estimate is often off because less energy (in your example) was used for a longer distance on previous trips.

#19 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

I agree.  Car estimates of over 30 miles are not realistic in general.  I've had it go as high as 36 or 39 miles I forgot which one and it goes higher and higher if you're plugged into the HVC and have the heater on and is using some battery and then turn it off and let it charge back up and do it over a couple of times.

No matter what, even if it said 37 miles like you saw, take off and drive even at 30 to 35 mph tops and 1 or 2 miles down the road that 37 is dropped to 27 or less.  It drops quick not 1 mile for 1 mile travelled until it gets closed to the 20 range and then its more realistic from there on in.

-=>Raja.

#20 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

The range estimate just tells how far you'll be able to go if you keep driving like you've been driving recently.

If you've recently driven down a huge hill, it might say 35 miles, and would probably be right - if you somehow had another huge hill to keep driving down, you could go 35 miles.  But you're unlikely to have that much hill, so you probably won't go that far.

If you've just started up on a cold day and the heater is cranking, it might say 10 miles.  And if the heater kept cranking full blast, that's all you could go.  But, the heater power tapers off as the car warms up, so you'll probably go farther.

Edited by viajero, 02 April 2014 - 05:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·