Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Is car plugged in question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   j762538

j762538

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

So this morning after unplugging, I get in the car and press start. A new choice comes up on the left side, is the car plugged in? (no (default), yes) I got out and plugged back in then removed the plug but always get this question. I am also getting emails that the car is scheduled to begin charging but the start of charging has not yet occurred. I had the upgrade done recently but have charged since then. Anyone seen this?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   j762538

j762538

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

After work, found the car had no power, would not start. Had it jumped and it started. Don't know if it was something I did but 2 things happened that have not before.

#3 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Better charge your 12V battery.

#4 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

You should have had a charged battery after driving to work.  You should consider taking the car into the dealer for a check, or if the dead 12v battery occurs again calling Ford and having it towed in for checking.

The messages you are seeing are also very unusual and would indicate something is amiss.  You might check your My Ford Mobile settings to see if a scheduled charging time somehow got set.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 09 November 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   j762538

j762538

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

MyFordMobile shows the 12 volt battery was low about 1:30 and an accidental disconnect at 2 pm, all before the battery was jumped. I only have charge now set. Seems like the car did not think it was unplugged and kept trying to charge.

#6 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

A few people, including myself, have reported the false "accidental unplug" message in recent months.  In fact, I got one yesterday at about the time I started the fully-charged, and long disconnected, car for a trip.  Don't think that message is related to your dead battery but who knows.

"We thought you would like to know that Max has experienced an accidental unplug while charging. Please plug Max in for the charging to continue."

#7 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Maybe this could be related to both problems ?

Nov 08 2013 4307 -2013 C-Max, 2013-2014 Escape, Focus - Body Control Module Ground, DTC U3008:13

Some 2013 C-Max, 2013-2014 Escape and Focus vehicles may exhibit DTC U3008:13 in Body Control Module (BCM). If DTC is present, a BCM ground issue exists and must be given priority over other DTCs or symptoms. A poor ground can cause low voltage to BCM, which could cause erratic, intermittent operation of several electrical components. Check ground circuits G107 and G301 on Focus and C-Max, G103 and G200 on Escape. To verify integrity of these ground circuits, use a suitable bulb to place load on circuits and measure voltage drop. With load present, manipulate wiring harness to check for intermittent fault. Repair any circuit that drops greater than 0.3 volts and re-test. Check pin fit in all BCM connectors with a flex probe. BCM replacement will result in repeat repair if ground issue is left unresolved.

#8 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

I just had this problem for the first time (car asks if its plugged in).  It asked at destination, NOT just after unplugging.  The 12v battery was not low (I think speculation is that low 12v battery causes all kinds of weird electronic gremlins) because I just charged it 2 weeks ago.  When unplugged, the charge ring flashed, and it clicked its relays about once every minute.  This itself would probably run the (12v) battery down.

After plugging it back in, it got to full capacity within 30 minute (level 2) but only sent the message that it was fully charged (and turn off the charge light on the charger) after another 2 hours. After this was done, I unplugged the HV charger and connected 12v charger.  It didn't take much charge (ie battery was well-charged). 

Has this problem been root caused?  I found a similar post in the fusion energi forum where the owner thought he unplugged his L2 charger "incorrectly".  No root cause.

I am suspecting something like the ground issue mentioned above, or saltwater (winter grime) got into the connector shorting something, or mechanically sticking something.  Hopefully if it does this again it will be on tue-fri so I can bring it to dealer in state where it is still asking if its plugged in.

#9 OFFLINE   JnTX

JnTX

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

When you are unplugging the car, always hold down the button for about 10 seconds before you pull the plug.  That will cure a lot of the unplugging problems.  If you can see the lights on your charger, I think you only have to do the delay if both lights are on.  I have an L2 charger with a light that shows if the car has the AC power energized.  If the light is on, I have to push the button and wait for the AC power to go off and a relay under the hood to drop out.  (I'm guessing it is a relay.  It makes a click like a relay dropping.)  I think it takes a few seconds longer if the car is in the preconditioning mode but it may just seem to take longer for the fans to stop.

#10 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

10 seconds is ridiculous.  The relay clicks, and light goes out on charger, within 1 second.  I did wait for the click because that protects the connector from arcing damage.

Where did you get the 10 second rule?  Personal experience or from a ford dealer or representative?

Note to ford: even 1 second is ridiculous, controllers should be able to wake up from deep power save in less than 200ms (1/5 of a second) which should be sufficiently fast to cause the car to disconnect before a person can physically remove the handle.  Thus no "rules" would be needed (other than unplug car before unplugging charger, if the charger isn't hard wired).

Back to the original problem: the problem did NOT happen immediately after unplug.  It drove fine to the store where I was inside only 15 minutes, then got "stuck" there.  Thankfully it asked the "is it plugged in question" it "started" and let me drive home where the battery was about 3/4 charged (instead of refusing to go to protect the non-existant cord).  Once I got it home I fiddled with it as follows:

Connect and disconnect l2 charger several times.  Each time after disconnecting, it still thought it was plugged in.  When it was disconnected but thought it was plugged in the charge ring flashed, and the relay clicked, once per minute.  Plug it in, it started charging (confirmed by spin of electric meter).  Thus this is different from the blinking ring of death others have seen (because in those cases it refuses to charge even when plugged in).  I then let it charge for about 45 minutes, and charge ring showed it was charged electric meter wasn't spinning, so it was no longer taking big currrent.  Thus it was done HV charging as expected.  However, the charge light (on charger) stayed on, and it didn't send the mfm message that charge was complete for another 2 hours.  After this point, disconnected HV charger, and it did NOT think it was still plugged in ("started" normally).  Opened hood, charged 12v battery (took only 30 minutes with 6 amp analog charger, so the battery was already reasonbly "fully" charged).  Haven't seen problem again in 48 hours.

One interesting observation: estimated value charge completion time email from MFM seems much more accurate (within 1 minute on a charge time of an hour).  Previously the estimated completion time from MFM was about 25% too long - 2:30 from empty when it really takes just 2:05.  Maybe something rebooted and recalibrated...  Ground gremlin?

#11 OFFLINE   JnTX

JnTX

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

I would agree that 10 seconds is really conservative but you can't blame Ford for the problem.  Even when the car changes the signal state, the adapter has to respond and drop the AC relay.  I have seen that take a couple of seconds on some adapters and that time is not something Ford can control. 

Unplugging with AC power energized is not your problem if you are checking the light on your L2 adapter to be sure the AC is off.  However others do think they see a correlation between unusual error messages and the time they take to unplug the car.  The only time I have had the error message I had unplugged the car immediately after the adapter light went out.  Since then I have been more carefult about unplugging the car if the AC light is on.  After the light goes out, I hold the button for about 5 seconds before removing the plug and haven't had any more error messages with that procedure.   

Ford has been making improvements to MFM and it looks like they have reduced the recharge time estimates. 

#12 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:06 AM

JnTX: thanks for explanation that the time varies by charger so its not ford's problem.

Update: accuracy of estimate returned to 25% too slow.  It estimated 1:12, took 56 minutes.  At least this matches their marketing; they say 2.5 hours for full charge, I've never seen longer than 2:07.

Edited by cmaxmd, 15 January 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

The "I think I'm plugged in" problem hasn't come back.  The estimate charge time is usually 25% too long but there have a couple more times where it was within a couple minutes.

#14 OFFLINE   bluewaterbound

bluewaterbound

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

I having the same issue.

12V was dead and car would not start (no lights or response).

Put 12V charger on 12V circuit for about an hour.

Left side message came on asking if plugged or not.

said no and it allowed me to drive. Drove for about 15 miles with several stops along the way.

Each time we got back in the car from the store it asked if it was plugged in or not; said no and along we went. One time I said yes just for kicks and then we were stuck. Had to shut off car, lock it, leave the area with key(not sure if this matters or not), returned to car, unlocked, started, and then it asked the plugged in question, said no and away we went.

Note: blue charger ring was flashing each time we unlocked/locked car.

Back at home when plugging charger I get the charging fault blue ring flash.

Note: The plug charger does not show a fault only the car blue ring flashing.

I've had no luck with plugging/unplugging many times as above thread indicates it solved his problem. 

I'm wondering if there is a reset sequence I can initiate. Maybe disconnecting large battery using emergency disconnect may do something?

I put the car back on the 12V charger and I'll see what happens from here after a few hrs of charging. drawing about 4.5 amps right now.

Also apt. with dealer on Monday morning....

#15 OFFLINE   j762538

j762538

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Sounds like the 12V battery is still low although it should have charged when you drove it.

#16 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I having the same issue.
12V was dead and car would not start (no lights or response).
Put 12V charger on 12V circuit for about an hour.
Left side message came on asking if plugged or not.
said no and it allowed me to drive. Drove for about 15 miles with several stops along the way.
Each time we got back in the car from the store it asked if it was plugged in or not; said no and along we went. One time I said yes just for kicks and then we were stuck. Had to shut off car, lock it, leave the area with key(not sure if this matters or not), returned to car, unlocked, started, and then it asked the plugged in question, said no and away we went.
Note: blue charger ring was flashing each time we unlocked/locked car.
Back at home when plugging charger I get the charging fault blue ring flash.
Note: The plug charger does not show a fault only the car blue ring flashing.

I've had no luck with plugging/unplugging many times as above thread indicates it solved his problem.

I'm wondering if there is a reset sequence I can initiate. Maybe disconnecting large battery using emergency disconnect may do something?

I put the car back on the 12V charger and I'll see what happens from here after a few hrs of charging. drawing about 4.5 amps right now.

Also apt. with dealer on Monday morning....

I believe there is a TSB for this.

#17 OFFLINE   bluewaterbound

bluewaterbound

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Yes there is a TBS - 13-12-23
Also there is a new firmware rev.

Here was the issue:

6173 - 2013 C-MAX/Fusion Energi With DTCs P0D08 And/or P0D0F
Some 2013 C-MAX and Fusion Energi vehicles may set DTC P0D08 and/or DTC P0D0F and experience no charging. 1) CLEAR the BECM and SOBDM DTCs. 2) Connect to a 120 or 240 volt EVSE. 3) Observe the CPLR for 2 minutes and verify the vehicle is charging. Repeat two more times. 3) Perform self-test on the BECM. If P0D08 or P0D0F return, refer to the workshop manual pinpont tests. If P0D08 or P0D0f do not return, do not perform any additional service actions. A software revision is under development. Monitor OASIS for updates.

#18 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:32 AM

I had the blinking light ring and question whether still plugged in.  Simutaneously MFM stopped updating.  Light ring blink occurred after disconnect of public 208V charger, disconnect of my 240V charger, or disconnect of the 120V trickle charger.  Did fuse pull for MFM it updated once and stopped gain.  Checked open circuit voltage was 11.8V.  Charged 12V battery 5A for 3 hours still saw the problem.  Charged HV battery overnight (it only took 15 minutes, but the charger light stayed on so I think it kept charging the 12v battery for a while).  Light ring blink went away when disconnecting HV charger in morning.  Charged 12V battery 2-3A for 3 more hours (till it dropped under 2A) and still don't see the problem.  Found 13V open circuit right after disconnecting 12v charger.  Fingers crossed.

Unlike the previous authors issues, it would always charge the HV battery.  In fact I left it plugged into a public charger at the airport and found these problems when I came back and it was full, but MFM didn't update location at the airport, wouldn't let me activate hvac or anything else.  There was always enough 12V for it to unlock the doors and "start".

#19 OFFLINE   SiegeAD

SiegeAD

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDC area
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi 2013

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:34 AM

Yes there is a TBS - 13-12-23
Also there is a new firmware rev.

Here was the issue:

6173 - 2013 C-MAX/Fusion Energi With DTCs P0D08 And/or P0D0F
Some 2013 C-MAX and Fusion Energi vehicles may set DTC P0D08 and/or DTC P0D0F and experience no charging. 1) CLEAR the BECM and SOBDM DTCs. 2) Connect to a 120 or 240 volt EVSE. 3) Observe the CPLR for 2 minutes and verify the vehicle is charging. Repeat two more times. 3) Perform self-test on the BECM. If P0D08 or P0D0F return, refer to the workshop manual pinpont tests. If P0D08 or P0D0f do not return, do not perform any additional service actions. A software revision is under development. Monitor OASIS for updates.

Bought (in June) a 2013 Energi and now have, on two occasions, had the problem of the 'plugged in' query after removing cable.

Query: Has the "software revision" occurred?

Also, please help reduce my ignorance. Who "may set DTC ..."??? Can "I" "clear the BECM and SOBDM DTCs" or is that dealer?   Don't understand this and would appreciate explanation.  Thank you.

#20 OFFLINE   Arv51862

Arv51862

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:30 AM

So this morning after unplugging, I get in the car and press start. A new choice comes up on the left side, is the car plugged in? (no (default), yes) I got out and plugged back in then removed the plug but always get this question. I am also getting emails that the car is scheduled to begin charging but the start of charging has not yet occurred. I had the upgrade done recently but have charged since then. Anyone seen this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·