Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

How to deal with the poorly designed arm-rest/cup-holder/storage

arm-rest cupholder storage

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

OK, y'all have been INCREDIBLY helpful with information on the Energi, and also with creative solutions.  So I thought it was my turn to come up with something helpful.

Maybe the Ford designers had something in mind when they designed a deep, narrow, storage arm rest, and two cupholders with not a speck of additional storage space anywhere in sight, but I can't imagine what they were thinking.

That said, I found some inexpensive containers to help make use of the space without losing things to the Deep Jumble of Doom.

I started with  a 32-ounce Up & Up "Twist and Store" large round container, purchased at Target ($3.99 for 2. BPA-free.)  I use it without the top, because I'm stacking other stuff on top, but the top certainly fits.  Right now, all I have in it is a small container of antacids and a container of ibuprofen (handy for those who get migraines with no warning).

I then went to Dollar Tree, and purchased a snap-together sandwich-shaped plastic container (probably not BPA-free) and rectangular, uncovered plastic bin.  

I keep protein bars in the sandwich container (I do use the lid for that--want'em to stay fresh!).  The rectangular bin contains an iPhone charger plug, a micro--USB charger plug, lip balm, a container of Purell,  and 5 $1 bills.  There's room for more.

I just stack them inside the arm rest.  32-ounce cup on the bottom, sandwich container on top of that, rectangular bin on the very top.  No more fishing through tons of crap to find what I want!

I don't remember where I got it, because it was in my old Kia, but I found an insert for cup-holders that adds a couple of small storage slots.  I use one of the slots to hold my plastic film canister-full-of-quarters.  I'll probably put a small thing of tissues in the other one (right now, I have 2 in the other cup holder).

Attached Files

Edited by Izzy, 14 November 2013 - 09:50 AM.

• hybridbear likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Also, the umbrella nook (on the floor between front seat and door) is perfectly sized for a partial roll of paper towels.  Always handy to have paper towels!

• hybridbear likes this

#3 OFFLINE   mcgyver68

mcgyver68

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 131 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

This is really a good idea for a number of reasons because that storage console is built like a missile silo, it is ridiculous. Trying to fish a business card or change bag out of there is quite a stupid exercise. More than that. the USB plug ins are perpendicular at the top. Since I have music on the flash drive I risk breaking it and the receptacle every time I go fishing around in there for something.

My priorities are a little different, Ibuprofen only annoys my migraines ;>)  Plus I have a fully stocked trauma bag next to a fire extinguisher and my tools in the back. Due to some of the uglier neighborhoods I occasionally have to work in, the upper part of my console is reserved for "special tools". My stack up will probably be business cards, then various device charging cables with portable power pack, with pens and change on top.

Hitting up Target later today!

• Izzy likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

What is in your trauma bag, mcgyver?  A friend of mine just wrapped her Sienna around a tree.  Thank God, she's ok, but it strikes me that a trauma bag might be a good thing...

#5 OFFLINE   mcgyver68

mcgyver68

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

Larger dressings, including these large bandages from Israel that stops bleeding instantly. Cutting tools for clothing, Airway opener. Basic field medic supplies.

I had an ugly experience one time around 25 years ago. I was on a payphone near the 170 overpass in North Hollywood at around 03.00 after St. Patricks Day. I heard a car in the distance screech, then crash through the guardrail somewhere in the distance. Perhaps 10 minutes later, I heard this meek little voice behind me: "Sir, Sir, I need to use the phone Sir"  I turned around and was presented with a young lady who had been ejected from her vehicle and thrown down an embankment. She was in full shock trauma with tree branches stuck in her face and she was bleeding profusely.

I called 911, which was overloaded that night. And I laid the girl on top of the hood of my car while she bled out. I ran in the 7-11 and grabbed a pile of chili dog napkins which I used to try and compress her wounds. Eventually the ambo showed up and the guys inside were cocky as hell. One walked over to the victim, looked her up and down, then sniffed: "Aw hell, I ain't touching THAT!" As he sauntered to the back of the rig to take his sweet time donning gloves. I do not know if she lived or not. But it spooked me. I carry supplies now.

#6 OFFLINE   timber725

timber725

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationEastvale, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

Also, the umbrella nook (on the floor between front seat and door) is perfectly sized for a partial roll of paper towels.  Always handy to have paper towels!

is that what that trays are officially used for?

#7 OFFLINE   DesignMax!

DesignMax!

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energy SEL

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Brand New Energi owner.  Brand new to the forums.  OP thanks for the tips.

I'm still getting to know the Max.  Not even honeymoon - well maybe an arranged marriage.  I'm liking just about everything - except the crazy storage, or lack there of.  the stackable solution is a start, but there is still the noise factor for some items if they are conveniently loose in their containers.  Currently I have just slotted a foam box insert that fits in the top tray to keep my quarters in so they don't rattle at the bottom of the pit.  

Unfortunately, the storage layout and convenience of what storage there is, is worse than the 15 year old car I just retired!

Anyone have a miniature tool box tray assembly to replace the top cover altogether?????

Oh,  has anyone managed to wind the charger to fit in the underseat storage well exactly.  Loving the car, but still working on this interior stuff.

Edited by DesignMax!, 02 February 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   timber725

timber725

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationEastvale, CA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Oh,  has anyone managed to wind the charger to fit in the underseat storage well exactly.  Loving the car, but still working on this interior stuff.

I wind mine counter clockwise while looking at the label (front).  I put mine with label facing down, which orientates the plug so that the cord lays in the groove while sitting in it's holder.  Pretty straightforward.

#9 OFFLINE   DesignMax!

DesignMax!

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energy SEL

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

I wind mine counter clockwise while looking at the label (front).  I put mine with label facing down, which orientates the plug so that the cord lays in the groove while sitting in it's holder.  Pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the tip.

#10 OFFLINE   Foscape

Foscape

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

The Escape has a tray at the top of it's storage console. It can be removed and fits perfectly in the C-Max center console. I'm guessing you might be able to get the part from Ford.

• fotomoto likes this

#11 OFFLINE   GuyFromCanada

GuyFromCanada

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationQuebec
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi 2013

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

The Escape has a tray at the top of it's storage console. It can be removed and fits perfectly in the C-Max center console. I'm guessing you might be able to get the part from Ford.

I had that tray in the glove box since the beginning. It took me a few minutes to find where it was supposed to go, but I essentially have it "installed" since day one ....

I thought everyone had that tray ???

#12 OFFLINE   Foscape

Foscape

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

It appears the 2013 C-Max does not have the tray, but the 2014 does. The part number is DJ52-78115A00-AA. The cost is about $21 at the Ford dealer.

#13 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

It appears the 2013 C-Max does not have the tray, but the 2014 does. The part number is DJ52-78115A00-AA. The cost is about $21 at the Ford dealer.

. Or go for a test drive...

#14 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

I believe the actual part number is DJ5Z-78115A00-AA.

#15 OFFLINE   jaydrama

jaydrama

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMorgantown, WV

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Just ordered the tray.

#16 OFFLINE   GuyFromCanada

GuyFromCanada

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationQuebec
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi 2013

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

I have a 2013 C-Max and the tray was in the car when I got it.

#17 OFFLINE   dontfret

dontfret

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Edited by dontfret, 04 March 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

This is really a good idea for a number of reasons because that storage console is built like a missile silo, it is ridiculous. Trying to fish a business card or change bag out of there is quite a stupid exercise. More than that. the USB plug ins are perpendicular at the top. Since I have music on the flash drive I risk breaking it and the receptacle every time I go fishing around in there for something.

My priorities are a little different, Ibuprofen only annoys my migraines ;>)  Plus I have a fully stocked trauma bag next to a fire extinguisher and my tools in the back. Due to some of the uglier neighborhoods I occasionally have to work in, the upper part of my console is reserved for "special tools". My stack up will probably be business cards, then various device charging cables with portable power pack, with pens and change on top.

Hitting up Target later today!

Hmmm, I didn't look in the center console when I took my test drive but will when I go back. But it's nice to know that they is room for MY "special tool" no matter which one I decide to carry.

#19 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

I know that one thing I didn't like was that it doesn't have as many cubby holes as my Escape. I was considering getting one of those things you can hang from the headrest to put items in instead of just leaving them in the seat or floor. Then if someone is in the passenger side it can just hang from the back of the seat :)

Shirley

#20 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

Larger dressings, including these large bandages from Israel that stops bleeding instantly. Cutting tools for clothing, Airway opener. Basic field medic supplies.

I had an ugly experience one time around 25 years ago. I was on a payphone near the 170 overpass in North Hollywood at around 03.00 after St. Patricks Day. I heard a car in the distance screech, then crash through the guardrail somewhere in the distance. Perhaps 10 minutes later, I heard this meek little voice behind me: "Sir, Sir, I need to use the phone Sir"  I turned around and was presented with a young lady who had been ejected from her vehicle and thrown down an embankment. She was in full shock trauma with tree branches stuck in her face and she was bleeding profusely.

I called 911, which was overloaded that night. And I laid the girl on top of the hood of my car while she bled out. I ran in the 7-11 and grabbed a pile of chili dog napkins which I used to try and compress her wounds. Eventually the ambo showed up and the guys inside were cocky as hell. One walked over to the victim, looked her up and down, then sniffed: "Aw hell, I ain't touching THAT!" As he sauntered to the back of the rig to take his sweet time donning gloves. I do not know if she lived or not. But it spooked me. I carry supplies now.

Holy CRAP, McGyver.    I only just saw your post.

That's going to stick in my memory forever.  Whoa.

Trauma bag is a great idea.  On it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·