Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

C-max Energi Least Reliable Car in America?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   F big oil

F big oil

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMorgan Hill Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hi Im picking my new C-MAX Energi up tthis week now not so sure if I should ? Would you all buy again ??

Absolutely. Love our cars.
  • MarionSpyder NY likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi Im picking my new C-MAX Energi up tthis week now not so sure if I should ? Would you all buy again ??

Yes! Without a doubt.  It's the best car I've ever owned. The only vehicle I liked as much as this one is my Dodge Diesel Pickup.

The C-Max Energi was the car I wanted based on the 7.6 kWh battery with 21 EV miles.  After testing the dealers demo and hitting 54 mpg in hybrid mode, it was an easy choice.  I can run 25 miles in EV only mode on a charge.  The car has been problem free for me. I updated my Nav/MFT the day after I bought it.  The voice system is still difficult to use on certain names, but that not a problem for me.  I'm sure it will get better.  The mileage was the key issue for me. The SEL trim was a bonus with all the unexpected teatures. The rain sence wipers, the auto dimming rearview mirror and the downhill asist just to name a few.

Don't let CR's agenda chase you away from a great car.  All these reviews are questionable. Watch this video and you'll understand what they did to the Suzuki Samurai with their bias review.

Edited by drdiesel1, 29 October 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   craigshelley

craigshelley

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302A w/Panoramic Sunroof

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

I've had mine for 5 months. I only wish I was buying now due the extra incentives. I still have no regrets. I love this car. The only reason I had it back at the dealer was for the reprograming of the rear lift gate and the headliner recall. 

You would have thought that since this is the first year the car was made that they would not have had enough information to predict reliability. 

I don't know why they did not like the electrical system. I am guessing they did not like the placement of the controls for the climate system. Body hardware Is a puzzle as I have not read about any body problems. The Audio system must have been checked prior to the two upgrades that have been done.

CR tested an C-Max Hybrid SE and they liked the fuel economy, ride handling,quite interior access and utility.  The did not like complicated controls, grabby brakes, small cargo area, Expensive to get rearview camera, reliability. I don't agree with them for most of what they did not like. 

CR had the Energi at an overall rating of 83 and an owner satisfaction rating of 84.  The owner satisfaction was only beat by the Volt (91) and Tesla(99).] So with that high an overall rating I don't really see a reason why they would not recommend it.

Interesting that the Volt got an overall rating of 68. The Leaf got an overall rating of 69. The Prius plugin got a 71 overall rating. The Prius V was rated at 80. Tesla got a 99 overall rating. 

Tom, are you stating that this year the Energi has an overall rating of 83 and an owner satisfaction rating of 84?  What are all the media reports stating it was rated dead last then?

#24 OFFLINE   coloplugin

coloplugin

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationLouisville, CO
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

See below . .  .

Edited by coloplugin, 29 October 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   coloplugin

coloplugin

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationLouisville, CO
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

Craig, this seeming discrepancy is because several different questions are being asked by CR:

Overall rating:  The C-MAX Hybrid (non-Energi) got an overall rating of 83 in a CR road test this past spring.  They haven't done a full test of the Energi yet. 

Reliability:  Based on how people responded to CR's Annual Car Reliability Survey--in other words, the % of people who reported problems, presumably major enough to require a trip to the dealer. This is the category where the Energi came in dead last. The worst dings were related to the audio/nav/entertainment setup, whereas the car's mechanical functioning (i.e., the stuff you can't fix with a software update!) scored very well.

Owner satisfaction:  This is ranked by how many people respond "definitely" to the question "Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.), would you get this car if you had to do it all over again?"  On this measure, out of 19 hybrids, PHEVs, and EVs, the Energi comes in at #3 with a score of 84--behind only the Volt (91) and the Tesla Model S (99). 

What this tells me is that the Energi definitely has some glitches, but the good things about it are so good that people are willing to deal with the downsides.  I'm definitely in that camp: I wish the gas-only mileage were a bit better, and I've encountered some bugginess with MySync (who hasn't?) but there's a lot about the Energi that I'm thoroughly enjoying. 

Edited by coloplugin, 29 October 2013 - 11:06 PM.

• MarionSpyder NY and Thiswaytocowboy like this

#26 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

Tom, are you stating that this year the Energi has an overall rating of 83 and an owner satisfaction rating of 84?  What are all the media reports stating it was rated dead last then?

I did make an error in my post. It was the energi hybrid SE that got the overall rating of 83. There was no overall rating for the Energi. The 84 rating owner satisfaction is correct. That rating indicates the vast majority of owners would select the energi again. I know I would.

It makes no sense to me why the media reports are the way they are. From my reading of the data the Energi should be rated high. I did take the CR survey for the C-Max and I rated it high. I wonder how much input they got on the Energi since there were not a lot produced and only a subset of those buyers would have provided input to CR. 

#27 OFFLINE   mcgyver68

mcgyver68

• 131 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

I don't know what the heck is wrong with Consumer Reports lately, they lost all relevance to me around 20 years ago. YES! The Microsoft system blows chunks! What did you expect? Any of us geezers who have been around since PC-DOS v1.0 can attest to the full vacuum suckage of Microsoft. But unlike a computer, the MS product does not drive your car. It is a gadget, a toy, some parts work well, others don't. Of course I have only had the car for six weeks, and time will tell. I just don't get the obvious bias of CR. They continue to laud all things Toyota. Yet, in my estimation, hybrid tech at Toyota has reached a sort of plateau at the moment. The only way they continue to pimp those high mileage numbers is by stripping weight out of their cars. I know, I am in rentals 150 days per year. Also my friend has a new Prius. The look, feel, ride, everything screams "crap box".

Ignore them and enjoy your fine car.

• drdiesel1 and MarionSpyder NY like this

#28 OFFLINE   Jazgy

Jazgy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've owned my cmax energi for 6 months. It had all the problems posted, lift gate, recall for the headliner, however the audio chip has had to be replaced as the audio and radio went bad. They replaced it and all I we'll. I will admit I was concerned about these issues so soon but I love this car. Once you learn how to drive a plugin the mileage is wonderful. I can't remember the last time I went to the gas station.

#29 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

First year models always have software issue's and updates as well as some recalls. Anyone buying a first year

car should know to expect it and understand it. Some people just don't understand and bitch about the car every

chance they get. Then they get a survey and trash it...... :drop:

#30 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

• 397 posts
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Energi

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

First year models always have software issue's and updates as well as some recalls. Anyone buying a first year

car should know to expect it and understand it. Some people just don't understand and bitch about the car every

chance they get. Then they get a survey and trash it...... :drop:

True.  We hardly hear about good things happening in the news, mostly the bad things.  Unless I am exceptionally happy with a car, then I am unlikely to fill out the lengthy survey that they send.  It also goes the other way too.  Unless I'm really unhappy with the car, I am also unlikely to fill out the lengthy survey that they send.

Personally, I saw all the cool features the car had available and said that is the car I would recommend.  (I recommended it to my wife.)  I asked her, since she had a BMW at the time, which BMW and at what price has the trunk kick feature that it had.  It was unfair for me to expect an answer from her about it, but I didn't have an answer for it...

Microsoft is notorious for selling products with bugs still in it, but it does have products that are innovative.  I'm not sure who designed the automatic parallel parking feature, and I'm afraid my wife didn't opt for that option, but we have a '12 Prius v and the parallel parking feature on that.  It is a pain to use as you have to visually adjust it.  I tried without adjusting and the tires touched the curb.  On the Ford we tried the feature worked flawlessly.  I would ask my family to open the passenger side doors and see how the tires were perfectly parallel with the curb!  This is a safety issue and Ford got it right while Toyota....

That said I updated the Sync software, and confirmed the update on the website, to find that I still needed to go to the dealer for an update.  I went and they were irritated to see us again, and made us wait over an hour to tell us there was nothing for them to do.  Now the website correctly states that I successfully updated it!  I also still can't get the volume of the Navigation prompts low enough for comfort when my son is asleep in the back seat.  I have to turn off the voice prompts.  (That said, I do the same with our '10 Cadillac, so it's not new to me.)

Last time I had a CR subscription was a long time ago.  I remember that they tend to shy away from reliability ratings on new models, or were biased against them.  How can you really judge a new for '13 car's reliability, especially with all the advancements they put into it.  I remember several years ago I sent a note to Ford about how they started off innovation with the assembly line and how they could innovate again by putting in a lot of new technology, possibly working with a tech company like Microsoft.  (Sounds like it might have waken up somebody at Ford, and now after I've been driving for 16 yrs. we have a Ford in the house.)  I'm a little surprised that Ford didn't put things like HIDs and memory seats in, of which I didn't catch no memory seats, and which I would think are high reliability features...

#31 OFFLINE   Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

3800 Miles, one trip to the gas station and no trips to the dealer.  I cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports years ago.  At one time I was looking for replacement tires and checked a review that was several months old and ended up purchasing one of their top rated tires.  About a month later, they did another story on tires and the one I had purchased, based on their prior recomendation, was now at the bottom.  They probably made their basis on 5 members that purchased the vehicle early.  Oh, I forgot, I did have to air up the tires last weekend. 

#32 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

3800 Miles, one trip to the gas station and no trips to the dealer.  I cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports years ago.  At one time I was looking for replacement tires and checked a review that was several months old and ended up purchasing one of their top rated tires.  About a month later, they did another story on tires and the one I had purchased, based on their prior recomendation, was now at the bottom.  They probably made their basis on 5 members that purchased the vehicle early.  Oh, I forgot, I did have to air up the tires last weekend. 

My concern with this type of information is the source. Out of those 5 members, who knows anything about tires ???

Opinion's are great, but what about actual ratings for performance, handling, wear and other data. Most people don't know

about this and that's why they subscribe to CS.  They answer a survey weeks after buying something and that's where the

two major issue's are. As long as they have data to compile and sell subscriptions, they could could care less about true

and valuable information. It's been proven if the CS editors don't like something, they are bias and will give it a knock.

Total BS in my book and not worth anything. I can get the same crappy information from Amazon reveiws :hysterical:

I rate CS as unacceptable :wink:

Edited by drdiesel1, 31 October 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

I canceled my subscription to CR about 10 years ago. I had bought a Maytag refrigerator on their recommendation, and it was the worst fridge ever.  After several years of service calls, the warranty people finally called it a lemon after a technician discovered that the heating coil in the freezer had burned a hole between freezer and refrigerator because it was located too close to that interior wall.

#34 OFFLINE   davdoug

davdoug

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I wish all my cars had been this unreliable.  Other than the kick opener not working, our C-Max has been virtually flawless through nearly 6,000 miles.  

We even like the NAV!!!

#35 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

I cancelled my CR subscription a number of years back as well. I could no longer ignore what seemed like continuous disparity between their product recommendations, and the experiences reported by real-world users across the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·