Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

C-max Energi Least Reliable Car in America?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Disappointing rating by Consumer Reports, but at least it wasn't rated Not Recommended like the Prius-V. http://www.reuters.c...N0II0JJ20131028

Thread in Hybrid forum: http://fordcmaxhybri...car-in-america/

The vehicle with the top predicted reliability score was the 2014 Subaru Forester SUV, while Ford Co's C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid vehicle received the worst score, Consumer Reports said.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 28 October 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

CR is the worst possible source for any meaningful information.

Predicted reliability (are they using the same psychics Regan used ?)

Toyota didn't send them a good Xmas present last year : ).

#3 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

A Subaru :hysterical:  What a pile.  I'll take my C-Max Energi over any import, any day :shift:

• epic and MarionSpyder NY like this

#4 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Looks like the NAV/MFT system was the cause of the low score. Since 3.6.2. the system has been 100% on my car.

CS can suck an egg for all, I care.  They don't have anything in real world testing that I'm aware of ?

I think it's all second hand info., regurgitated to fit their publications opinion.

From the CS article....

The vehicle with the top  :hysterical3: "predicted" reliability score was the 2014 Subaru Forester SUV, while Ford Co's C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid vehicle received the worst score, Consumer Reports said. To bad the Subaru doesn't have a nice infotainment system or much of an In-Car Electronics package :hysterical:

Two popular models, Honda's redesigned 2013 Accord with a V6 engine and the 2013 Nissan Altima, scored too poorly for Consumer Reports to continue recommending them.

One of the main problem areas in the survey was in-car electronics, including infotainment systems. Of the 17 categories tracked, the area generated the most complaints, including buggy systems with screen freezes, touch control lag or a reluctance to recognize a cell phone or other device.

For instance, last year, Ford tumbled to nearly the bottom of the survey due to flaws in its touch-screen navigation and entertainment system, MyFord Touch.

The C-Max Energi and Hybrid are full of new tech and new electronics......

What would they expect when comparing them to low tech imports with minimal systems???

It's like comparing an old 1980's Civic to a 2015 Cadillac Seville :drop:

Edited by drdiesel1, 28 October 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi 302a+Sunroof

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

The problems I had were/are all about the Nav/Entertainment system, and a dead 12 volt battery (once). The Nav system problems were so bad it really turned me off on the car in general, which is too bad because it is OK otherwise.

I am a little disappointed in the highway mpg as well.

All in all, I probably would not have bought the car had I known, and should have waited for the Fusion Energi instead, but I was too impatient.

#6 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

Wait a minute.  The NAV is the big complaint that downrated CR's rating of the car????

THE NAV IS AN OPTION.

Since when does CM downrate a car based on one option?  Yeah, I know it's a popular option, but, geeze, if you think the option sucks, don't recommend the OPTION.

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#7 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:45 AM

Until someone with CR access can post the details we won't know what exact ratings got the Energi listed at the bottom, nor what the ratings are as their may be only a minor difference between the bottom and 50 above the bottom.

To rate a car as "least reliable" based on the performance of  the entertainment system seems a bit extreme but that must be what's happening as there have been very, very few mechanical/electrical problems reported for the Energi.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi, 29 October 2013 - 05:45 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

They docked it for electrical system, climate system, body hardware, and audio system.

I presume "audio system" is the myfordtouch.  I suspect "electrical system" is for the dead 12v batteries.  Based on experience and this forum, I don't know why they docked climate system or body hardware (unless the body hardware was the roof liner recall).

They also marked "226% below average" which in my opinion means 3-4 trips to the dealer.  Many of us have been there.

In my opinion the good news is that none of these problems would leave you stranded on the side of the road with a huge repair bill even if they occurred after warranty expires, nor would they be terribly dangerous.

Now, my last car was an acura, which they highly recommended, but it dumped a transmission (think $5K before the warranty extension due to class action law suit). Think dumping from 5th to 2nd gear while going 70mph and the whiplash, and rear-end risk.  I'll take the cmax energi's problems any day over those transmission problems...

Edited by cmaxmd, 29 October 2013 - 07:35 AM.

• rtshinn likes this

#9 OFFLINE   GuyFromCanada

GuyFromCanada

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationQuebec
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi 2013

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

So, in their opinion, a car with no audio/climate control/navigation/heated seat/assisted liftgate/touch screen/rear camera/bluetooth is better because those systems will never fail (they're not installed)... In that case, I'll buy a one speed bicycle... now, that's reliable !

#10 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

So, in their opinion, a car with no audio/climate control/navigation/heated seat/assisted liftgate/touch screen/rear camera/bluetooth is better because those systems will never fail (they're not installed)... In that case, I'll buy a one speed bicycle... now, that's reliable !

Yep.  All the others have no tech or low tech packages, so they get a higher mark...What a joke!

#11 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

I presume "audio system" is the myfordtouch.  I suspect "electrical system" is for the dead 12v batteries. 

And I would bet that quite a few of the dead 12v batteries are due to the audio system not going to sleep when it's supposed to.

#12 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

Um, actually, I purposely chose a C-Max that has no navigation/heated seat/auto liftgate/rear screen camera, because I didn't want to pay big bucks for systems that don't yet have all the bugs worked out.

When I'm old, I'm sure I will want all that--and I will also have more time to schlep to the dealer to fix it.But not now.

• Richard C. likes this

#13 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi 302a+Sunroof

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

And I would bet that quite a few of the dead 12v batteries are due to the audio system not going to sleep when it's supposed to.

I think in my case I left the headlights on (not on auto), and ignored the dinging. Battery dead next morning. The 'Home Light' setting only applies to when the headlight is set to Auto. The other downside is that you only have Daytime Running Lights during certain conditions/settings, so you have to turn the lights ON if it's raining and the wipers aren't on auto-sense, or something. So again, if you forget to turn the lights off you get a dead battery.

#14 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Um, actually, I purposely chose a C-Max that has no navigation/heated seat/auto liftgate/rear screen camera, because I didn't want to pay big bucks for systems that don't yet have all the bugs worked out.

When I'm old, I'm sure I will want all that--and I will also have more time to schlep to the dealer to fix it.But not now.

Did you get the car yet ?

#15 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Did you get the car yet ?

Hopefully Thursday!  Please keep your fingers crossed for me that the dealership doesn't screw it up...

#16 OFFLINE   MarionSpyder NY

MarionSpyder NY

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMarion NY 14505
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi Im picking my new C-MAX Energi up tthis week now not so sure if I should ? Would you all buy again ??

#17 OFFLINE   Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302A

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

Got mine last Saturday, and it is awesome! I'm pretty sure all the bugs have been worked out for us and have been corrected on our later cars.

#18 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hi Im picking my new C-MAX Energi up tthis week now not so sure if I should ? Would you all buy again ??

Absolutely!  It's the best car I've ever owned and there's been 12 of them starting with a 1957 Chevy (vacuum powered windshield wipers!).  All the teething issues have been taken care of and you will find it perfect.

#19 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

YES.  In shop once (3 hours) in 6K miles to get several updates.  Not unexpected on a brand new model.  Nothing I would call a reliability problem - I could have waited until the first oil change for the updates.

#20 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

I've had mine for 5 months. I only wish I was buying now due the extra incentives. I still have no regrets. I love this car. The only reason I had it back at the dealer was for the reprograming of the rear lift gate and the headliner recall. 

You would have thought that since this is the first year the car was made that they would not have had enough information to predict reliability. 

I don't know why they did not like the electrical system. I am guessing they did not like the placement of the controls for the climate system. Body hardware Is a puzzle as I have not read about any body problems. The Audio system must have been checked prior to the two upgrades that have been done.

CR tested an C-Max Hybrid SE and they liked the fuel economy, ride handling,quite interior access and utility.  The did not like complicated controls, grabby brakes, small cargo area, Expensive to get rearview camera, reliability. I don't agree with them for most of what they did not like. 

CR had the Energi at an overall rating of 83 and an owner satisfaction rating of 84.  The owner satisfaction was only beat by the Volt (91) and Tesla(99).] So with that high an overall rating I don't really see a reason why they would not recommend it.

Interesting that the Volt got an overall rating of 68. The Leaf got an overall rating of 69. The Prius plugin got a 71 overall rating. The Prius V was rated at 80. Tesla got a 99 overall rating. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·