Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

my energi not charging properly

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CMAXGuy

CMAXGuy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDetroit
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Maybe this will help:

at 70 degrees F for both A & B

A. If I drive a lot in town (stop n go) and have the climate controls off I will typically see my EV battery show 20-25 miles in the morning after a full charge. 

B. If I drive a lot on the freeway and have the climate controls off I will typically see my EV battery show 17-19 miles in the morning after a full charge. 

Like a mf66 said earlier - the predicted range will depend upon your driving habits. What I notice about A above is that my post driving report will detail something like 3-6 miles from regen but when on the freeway (B) you might only get like 0.5 - 2 miles from regen (assuming you have some in town driving to get to the freeway). I believe this accounts for the differences in the 2 estimated battery ranges above. The number of miles on the EV battery after a charge appears to be a prediction the computer makes that is based upon your most recent trips. 

I have noticed that my numbers remain pretty consistent (like above) until the temperature drops below 30 degrees F or so. In the fall when temps are in the 40's I can usually drive comfortably with just a heated seat & all climate control off - this allows me to make my 15 mile round trip in EV mode exclusively. Now that the temps have fallen into single and low double digits I have to run climate controls and I am now seeing ranges of about 12-14 and even then the ICE kicks in with climate control in order to produce heat.

This behavior seems to be what it is - my only wish here is that the CMAX had an EV battery that is twice its current capacity - that would allow me to remain in EV mode exclusively for just about all of my day to day driving :smile2:  As best I can tell the cost of electricity per mile is a lot cheaper than the cost of gasoline per mile - this includes the times I have to charge during the day at the much higher day rates for electricity...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Maybe this will help:

at 70 degrees F for both A & B

A. If I drive a lot in town (stop n go) and have the climate controls off I will typically see my EV battery show 20-25 miles in the morning after a full charge. 

B. If I drive a lot on the freeway and have the climate controls off I will typically see my EV battery show 17-19 miles in the morning after a full charge. 

Like a mf66 said earlier - the predicted range will depend upon your driving habits. What I notice about A above is that my post driving report will detail something like 3-6 miles from regen but when on the freeway (B) you might only get like 0.5 - 2 miles from regen (assuming you have some in town driving to get to the freeway). I believe this accounts for the differences in the 2 estimated battery ranges above. The number of miles on the EV battery after a charge appears to be a prediction the computer makes that is based upon your most recent trips. 

I have noticed that my numbers remain pretty consistent (like above) until the temperature drops below 30 degrees F or so. In the fall when temps are in the 40's I can usually drive comfortably with just a heated seat & all climate control off - this allows me to make my 15 mile round trip in EV mode exclusively. Now that the temps have fallen into single and low double digits I have to run climate controls and I am now seeing ranges of about 12-14 and even then the ICE kicks in with climate control in order to produce heat.

This behavior seems to be what it is - my only wish here is that the CMAX had an EV battery that is twice its current capacity - that would allow me to remain in EV mode exclusively for just about all of my day to day driving :smile2:  As best I can tell the cost of electricity per mile is a lot cheaper than the cost of gasoline per mile - this includes the times I have to charge during the day at the much higher day rates for electricity...

This is the most concise and focused post you've put together about understanding your cars operation with real world expectations. Bravo, sir :salute:  I too would love to have double the battery size.  I think a 15 hWh battery would be perfect.  So much so, I was thinking about placing a second battery where the back seats are and using it when the primary runs out. Setting up a switch to flip it over from battery 1 to battery 2 :idea:

#23 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

I think all electric cars should have an option to tow a small trailer with another battery to supplement the built-in battery.  So you you want to go 300 miles you rent one size trailer, a bigger one for 600 miles, and so on.

#24 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

This is the most concise and focused post you've put together about understanding your cars operation with real world expectations. Bravo, sir :salute:  I too would love to have double the battery size.  I think a 15 hWh battery would be perfect.  So much so, I was thinking about placing a second battery where the back seats are and using it when the primary runs out. Setting up a switch to flip it over from battery 1 to battery 2 :idea:

Forget about any modifications like a second battery. Keep your powder dry and get top resale value when a better model comes out. Concentrate on battery management with what you've got now.  I sold both my '05 and '09 FEH's for top dollar because they were completely stock, and in great condition. The dealers offered $5,000 less on a trade, so they hit the road on any deal with me. A friend gets me X-Plan and Ford gives me cash off in addition.

I'm now saving hundreds of dollars on gas, and helping all of us breath cleaner air. My Energi has well over 430mpg lifetime, and I'll reach 999mpg before my first year of ownership and second refill. I don't need a second battery at this time. The battery we have now has a poor cooling and heating system, so how would you improve that with another battery?

Gary

#25 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Forget about any modifications like a second battery. Keep your powder dry and get top resale value when a better model comes out. Concentrate on battery management with what you've got now.  I sold both my '05 and '09 FEH's for top dollar because they were completely stock, and in great condition. The dealers offered $5,000 less on a trade, so they hit the road on any deal with me. A friend gets me X-Plan and Ford gives me cash off in addition.

I'm now saving hundreds of dollars on gas, and helping all of us breath cleaner air. My Energi has well over 430mpg lifetime, and I'll reach 999mpg before my first year of ownership and second refill. I don't need a second battery at this time. The battery we have now has a poor cooling and heating system, so how would you improve that with another battery?

Gary

Yeah, it's always best to leave it alone and run it as is.  The cooling would be the same as the current battery, just a different location to where the back seats are. Make a duplicate setup and have it setup with a contactor set. A mirror of the one in the car now would make it as simple as possible, but might be way to expensive.  Like I said. I was thinking about it. Haven't even looked into price yet, so it's more like thinking out loud :spend:

Edited by drdiesel1, 13 December 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

I just got surprised by my dealer after doing the door chime recall and tire rotation.  I had found my MPGe went down from ~105 to 90.  It turns out the let the air out of my tires setting it at 30-32PSI instead of the recommended 38.  I pumped them back to 40 and the MPGe returned to about 100.   The other 5 seem to be due to the cold.

#27 OFFLINE   sinrouge88

sinrouge88

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Region:Canada Quebec
  • LocationSt-Laurent, Montreal, QC
  • Current Vehicle:Mazda MPV

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

I do not mean to hijack the thread but along with the topic, I like to get your inputs on charging of my brand new cmax energi.

Took delivery yesterday Thursday Dec-12-2013 and charge the HVB to full yesterday night. 

I turned on the car this Friday morning,  the temperature was 17 deg. Far, I only saw 24KM (14.9 miles) EV. 

Is this reading in the "NORMAL" range? or something not normal... I live in St-Laurent, Quebec, Canada.

Thanks.

#28 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

Don't worry about that reading.  It's going to vary according to your recent driving experience, the temperature, and possibly other things people will chime in on.  It also may immediately go up when you start your next trip, as I see that happening.

#29 OFFLINE   F big oil

F big oil

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationMorgan Hill Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have a charging strategy that I use to charge our pair of C Max Energi. Because I am on net energy metering I pay a lot less for electricity after 6pm. Because of this when I get home at around 4 o'clock I plug my C Max into the 120 charger so that I limit the amount of power I consume before 6 pm. When my wife gets home she plugs her car into the 240v charger. At around 10pm I go out and switch the plugs around between the cars. I do this because I have a start time an hour earlier than her. In the morning my car warms up on the 240 v charger and it tops off my battery. When I go to leave, I plug her car into the 240 v charger to do the same.

You may be asking why I am telling you this. Well, last night I forgot to switch over to the 240 v charger and my car pre heat this morning on the 120 v charger. When I got in my car and hit

the go button, my mileage was only 19 miles!!. Normally in this cold weather my mileage remaining with the 240v charger is 22 so I lost 3 miles of range using the 120 v charger for go time.

In the summer when it is warm, I don't notice a difference between the 2 chargers for the go time but in the winter when it's 30 degees in the garage the 120 v charger can't keep up.

This may be some of the problem that others are having.

Get yourself a 240 v charger to help maintain your cold weather mileage!!

#30 OFFLINE   jjanner

jjanner

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationSouthern Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Here in Florida experienced the flip-side of climate and miles on a charge. When I purchased at the end of September we still had 92+ degrees most days. So I used the AC 100% of the time. In the morning, heading out on my commute, it was "only" 83 degrees. My range indicator on a full charge was usually 17-19 miles.

Now with temps in the 70's I drive with the windows down, AC off, and range indicators in the 23-26 range.

One thing I've noticed is that the range indicator instantly updates if I turn on or off the Climate control. Might jump from 19 to 23, for example if I started with AC on, then turned it right off.

#31 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

This behavior seems to be what it is - my only wish here is that the CMAX had an EV battery that is twice its current capacity - that would allow me to remain in EV mode exclusively for just about all of my day to day driving :smile2:

A 30-40 mile battery would be ideal for me as well.  I would've bought a Volt but the C-Max is far more comfortable, especially for a tall guy.

The small size of the battery is why Ford can get away with minimal thermal control for their battery.  It usually runs out of charge before it runs long enough to overheat.  In a Texas summer with a 240V charger I can hit the thermal limit sometimes.

The Volt has a forced fluid cooling system for its battery which adds still more weight, cost, and complexity.  I think Ford would have to do likewise if they increased the battery capacity very much.  The electric Focus has a thermal management system and the Leaf probably should!

#32 OFFLINE   userw014

userw014

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationAnn Arbor
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi (Sneaker)

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

I bought my Energi at the end of September 2013 and noticed right away that if I turned on the fan (even with the thermostat set so the AC or heat would't come on) that I'd loose a lot of expected range.  Pretty much in line with what everyone else said.

But as fall progressed, I needed to have the windshield defogger run - so I grew used to running with with windows down or cracked open a little.  This worked through mid-november.

With that, the end of DST (meaning I'd be driving with headlights on more often), etc. my expected range persistently lurks around 11miles on a full charge.  

I ordered a Level 2 charger at the end of November - but delivery's been delayed.  I'm not looking forward to wiring my Michigan carport in 5F weather.

#33 OFFLINE   fransvette

fransvette

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Lenox
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

Why doesn't Ford tell you that you cannot expect the range in Winter, that you get in warmer weather? Got 23-24 miles in the Summer....down to 15 miles per charge....deceptive marketing!

#34 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• 79 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGTA
  • My C-MAX:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 2016

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

Why doesn't Ford tell you that you cannot expect the range in Winter, that you get in warmer weather? Got 23-24 miles in the Summer....down to 15 miles per charge....deceptive marketing!

Does any car manufacturer explicitly tell you that fuel consumption in the winter is worse than in the summer? Or that your driving behaviour affects fuel mileage? 

• RubyMax likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·