Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

my energi not charging properly

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   windjay

windjay

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Locationasheville nc
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

When we got my wife's enrgi 6 months ago a charge showed it had 20-21 miles after the charge.  The number has gradually decreased and is now 15-16.  Has anyone else had this problem.?  what could cause it?. What is the solution?

• MarionSpyder NY and NJandPaRealtor like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Don

Don

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

Predicted miles are not necessarily the actual miles you will get from a charge.

The predicted miles are based on the car making measurements from past performance and adjusting the predictions over time.

If you are heavy footed the car will start showing fewer and fewer miles.

Battery range is reduced as temperatures drop.

Battery range is reduced as you use more accessories (I.E. air conditioning, heater, headlights)

It is possible you have a defective car.

Those are just four possibilities and there may be more.

The solution is to establish exactly what is going on and make adjustments, if possible, to increase the range.

Edited by Don, 27 October 2013 - 04:25 PM.

• hybridbear likes this

#3 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

It's probably your driving and accessories use. You could always have the dealer check the HVB cells with the IDS.

Here's mine with a full charge :wink:Attached File  20131011_184548.jpg   68KB   3 downloads

#4 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

When we got my wife's enrgi 6 months ago a charge showed it had 20-21 miles after the charge.  The number has gradually decreased and is now 15-16.  Has anyone else had this problem.?  what could cause it?. What is the solution?

How many actual miles do you typically get before the ICE starts?

#5 OFFLINE   coloplugin

coloplugin

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLouisville, CO
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

If you're in North Carolina, perhaps you're starting to use the heater, which is a real drain on the EV battery.  There are some good threads here on how to deal with this (e.g., using the ICE for the first several miles, so it can efficiently heat the car, then going to EV).  The heated seats use much less energy than the fan.

• hybridbear likes this

#6 OFFLINE   NJandPaRealtor

NJandPaRealtor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

OMG I just called the dealer this morning about this same problem.  I bought my C-Max Energi about 3.5 weeks ago and it has about 450 miles on it.  When I got it, the battery charged to about 22 miles and steadily it has declined until now no matter how long I charge it, the max is about 13-15 miles.

Even though the outlet I use to plug into in my garage doesn't really have anything else using it, I was so concerned that I paid $150 to have an electrician install a direct line and things still get worse daily.

Since it is a new technology, and my schedule this week is very busy, I called the dealer to ask them to look into the problem before I bring the car in.  The service person told me that they had another car in this week for the same issue and they are currently working on finding a solution.

Unrelated to this, about 1 week into driving it, I had my 1st client in my car, and I was feeling very proud about my new energy smart car when suddenly the cover for the rain sensor on my windshield fell off and 1 piece landed in my lap and the other one landed on my client.  Awkward.  Seems like the last human to handle it, broke off the edge that has a small hook on it so the vibration caused it to disconnect.  Waiting for it to come in now so part of the car now sits in my kitchen.

I'm so excited to see what the 2nd month of ownership brings.  Lol

#7 OFFLINE   DistortedEnergi

DistortedEnergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, San Fernando & Santa Clarita
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

Perhaps the few of you reporting battery concerns could post the date of manufacture of your car...

#8 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

OMG I just called the dealer this morning about this same problem.  I bought my C-Max Energi about 3.5 weeks ago and it has about 450 miles on it.  When I got it, the battery charged to about 22 miles and steadily it has declined until now no matter how long I charge it, the max is about 13-15 miles.

Even though the outlet I use to plug into in my garage doesn't really have anything else using it, I was so concerned that I paid $150 to have an electrician install a direct line and things still get worse daily.

Since it is a new technology, and my schedule this week is very busy, I called the dealer to ask them to look into the problem before I bring the car in.  The service person told me that they had another car in this week for the same issue and they are currently working on finding a solution.

Unrelated to this, about 1 week into driving it, I had my 1st client in my car, and I was feeling very proud about my new energy smart car when suddenly the cover for the rain sensor on my windshield fell off and 1 piece landed in my lap and the other one landed on my client.  Awkward.  Seems like the last human to handle it, broke off the edge that has a small hook on it so the vibration caused it to disconnect.  Waiting for it to come in now so part of the car now sits in my kitchen.

I'm so excited to see what the 2nd month of ownership brings.  Lol

Sounds like you have a car without the Panorama Glass Roof.  They had to remove the headliner to install some impact absorption material above the drivers and passengers seating area's to meet DOT crash test parameters.  Whomever did the work must have buggered the cover for the rain sense module and just slapped it back on. 

Just so you know.... The HVB display is an estimated mileage readout that's based on your driving habits. The harder you drive it in EV mode, the lower the estimated mileage will read.

Edited by drdiesel1, 28 October 2013 - 07:42 AM.

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#9 OFFLINE   windjay

windjay

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationasheville nc
  • Current Vehicle:2013 cmax energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

Our driving habits have not changed over the six months and is generally around town.  I am not sure the actual miles we are getting per charge but it is clearly  less than we got at the beginning.  It is my belief that, as the car shows, we are getting significantly less charge in the battery pack then we did at the beginning.  This has happened both at our home where we use the cat 1 cable furnished with the car and at our local university where I use their cat 2 cable.  When we first got the car it always showed 20 or 21 miles to use after a charge.  Now it shows 15 or 16 miles to use when a charge is complete.

#10 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

As others have said: 'miles' estimate is not equal to battery charge level.  You can check the center screen, 'leaf' icon, to see actual % charge of the battery.

We have had a mild fall with temps in the 60-80 range and we have set climate control totally OFF for the last few weeks.  Yesterday a cold front came in, temperatures went to low of 50 and high of 55; the garage temperature stabilized at 65F this AM, down from mid=70's. 

This morning I did an experiment:

Car totally charged using OEM cable.

Started car in EV mode, climate control OFF, 'miles' indicated 26.

Turned ON climate system, turned AC OFF, set temperature on climate control to 72 F.

'Miles' changed from 26 to 22 (the car has not moved).  This is because the auxiliary electric heater activated with a large current draw.  The computer assumed that was going to continue, hence it changed estimated 'miles'.

You may want to try this experiment with your car. Be sure to get a reading of 'miles' with the climate system totally OFF (button on far right side of the climate system controls).  Since it is late October and temperatures are going down in most places, if the climate control is set to a temperature above ambient, when you start up the 'miles' estimate is going to go down compared to what you are used to.

#11 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Our driving habits have not changed over the six months and is generally around town.  I am not sure the actual miles we are getting per charge but it is clearly  less than we got at the beginning.  It is my belief that, as the car shows, we are getting significantly less charge in the battery pack then we did at the beginning.  This has happened both at our home where we use the cat 1 cable furnished with the car and at our local university where I use their cat 2 cable.  When we first got the car it always showed 20 or 21 miles to use after a charge.  Now it shows 15 or 16 miles to use when a charge is complete.

You're not understanding what we are trying to tell you.  Temps play a role as well as using the heater, the headlights, and all the other accessories. You can't charge the battery and have it read a cetain number, just because it's been charged. The number you see is an estimated number based on the last use and current loads on the system. If it's getting colder where you live, the battery charge miles will drop.

The HVB is temp. sensitive. There are lots of other causes for EV losses.  Tire pressure, temps., driving habits, wind, high speed driving, uphill driving, electrical loads like headlights, the heater, heated seats, and a big one is the degroster. It runs the A/C compressor to dry the moisture from the cabin air. The fan motor is a large electrical load. Running it on high will reduce the HVB run times.  All these things can add up to a large load.  The system has a screen that will indicate kWh usage on the left screen.  Turn it on and look at the kWh's you're using while driving. It's an eye opener.  Before you start blaming the car, verify what you are doing with it. It's easier than going to the dealer and being told nothing is wrong. 

Edited by drdiesel1, 29 October 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

You're not understanding what we are trying to tell you. Temps play a role as well as using the heater, the headlights, and all the other accessories. You can't charge the battery and have it read a cetain number, just because it's been charged. The number you see is an estimated number based on the last use and current loads on the system. If it's getting colder where you live, the battery charge miles will drop.

The HVB is temp. sensitive. There are lots of other causes for EV losses. Tire pressure, temps., driving habits, wind, high speed driving, uphill driving, electrical loads like headlights, the heater, heated seats, and a big one is the degroster. It runs the A/C compressor to dry the moisture from the cabin air. The fan motor is a large electrical load. Running it on high will reduce the HVB run times. All these things can add up to a large load. The system has a screen that will indicate kWh usage on the left screen. Turn it on and look at the kWh's you're using while driving. It's an eye opener. Before you start blaming the car, verify what you are doing with it. It's easier than going to the dealer and being told nothing is wrong.

+1

#13 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

As the mornings have been getting colder I started using the heated seats. They don't seem to affect the milage much. Recently I tested the heater and it is a big drain on the battery. I am now remote starting the car to warm it up while still plugged in. I will also use the hybrid mode more often this winter to take advantage of the heat from the gas engine. 

• dr61 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   acob

acob

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSan Francisco
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

My Energi started charging 22 miles, but now it is in the neighborhood of 17-19.  I will monitor the charging for a month, and then take it to the dealer. Any thoughts?

Edited by acob, 31 October 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

My Energi started charging 22 miles, but now it is in the neighborhood of 17-19.  I will monitor the charging for a month, and then take it to the dealer. Any thoughts?

Normal.

#16 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

It's just hard to understand..........We post why this is, but it's not sinking in ?????????? I don't get it :drop:

• hljmesa likes this

#17 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

If you are worried about decreasing range on the display in the morning, there's two simple tests you should perform.

First, with a fully charged car, go for a drive of about 5 miles in EV Now mode, then stop the car and shut down. Look at the trip information on the left display, and it should show both miles and kWh consumed from the battery. My morning commute is 4.7 miles, and I generally use 1.0 to 1.4kWh. That gives me a direct measure of how much energy I need per mile, and a measurement that can be observed over time. I can see that I use more energy when the AC is on, more energy when the heat is on, and less energy when the temps are mild. Your estimated range on a full charge is directly calculated from this efficiency number, so when efficiency changes so will range.

Second, with a fully charged car, reset either Trip 1 or Trip 2 and go for a 25+ mile drive in EV Now mode. Look for the point when your EV range is exhausted and the car switches over to hybrid mode. You should see the big battery on the left display (now reading 0 miles) switch over to a smaller battery with no range number listed, and a popup warning will tell you that EV mode is no longer available. At that exact moment, look at the trip meter you reset earlier. You should see about 5.5kWh of electricity used, and 0 gallons of gas. If you don't see 5.5kWh, then it's time to suspect the battery didn't get a full charge somehow, or that it has lost capacity.

• dr61 and Don like this

#18 OFFLINE   jimbay

jimbay

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationvermont
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max energi & 2012 prius plug-in

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

You're not understanding what we are trying to tell you.  Temps play a role as well as using the heater, the headlights, and all the other accessories. You can't charge the battery and have it read a cetain number, just because it's been charged. The number you see is an estimated number based on the last use and current loads on the system. If it's getting colder where you live, the battery charge miles will drop.

The HVB is temp. sensitive. There are lots of other causes for EV losses.  Tire pressure, temps., driving habits, wind, high speed driving, uphill driving, electrical loads like headlights, the heater, heated seats, and a big one is the degroster. It runs the A/C compressor to dry the moisture from the cabin air. The fan motor is a large electrical load. Running it on high will reduce the HVB run times.  All these things can add up to a large load.  The system has a screen that will indicate kWh usage on the left screen.  Turn it on and look at the kWh's you're using while driving. It's an eye opener.  Before you start blaming the car, verify what you are doing with it. It's easier than going to the dealer and being told nothing is wrong. 

"The number you see is an estimated number based on the last use and current loads on the system. If it's getting colder where you live, the battery charge miles will drop."

Makes perfect sense! Thanks doctor!!

Lately my fully charge C-Max has dropped since the cold weather has set in up here in Vermont from 23 miles down to 17-19 miles.  It appears that the colder weather is effecting the charging cycle. 

BTW: I have a co-worker with a new Volt and he is experieincing the same thing, a drop of 20% form 38 miles to 28-30 miles.

• hljmesa and fotomoto like this

#19 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

Energi Member

• 1,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

BTW: I have a co-worker with a new Volt and he is experieincing the same thing, a drop of 20% form 38 miles to 28-30 miles.

YES, YES, YES!

I've had a Volt and Prius and continue to monitor and participate on those forums and yes those vehicles all behave the same way due to chemistry and physics.  There is nothing wrong with the car or battery when the estimates go down in cooler weather.  They will return in the spring.  I would also suggest to select and monitor the kW usage meter Ford gave us.  It can tell you a lot.

Ford just posted this today on their OASIS (copied from the hybrid forum):

2012-2014 Focus Electric, 2013 C-MAX Energi, 2013-2014 Fusion Energi - EV Range Display After Charging

The EV Range being displayed after fully charging a 2012-2014 Focus Electric, 2013 C-MAX Energi or 2013-2014 Fusion Energi may vary after each charging event. EV Range is similar to the Distance To Empty feature on a conventional gasoline vehicle and is based upon how the vehicle was driven prior to charging the battery. Factors such as terrain, mild/aggressive acceleration or braking, city or highway driving, and use of accessories such as headlamps, heating and air conditioning all contribute to the variation in the EV Range that is available and displayed. 

#20 OFFLINE   mf66

mf66

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I drive 9 miles to downtown Chicago and back home every day. I usually start in the 19-24 mile range. This variation is more based on how i drive than anything else. It uses historical data ( as well as current loads) to predict your range.

Quick test- Look at the HV battery range with the heat off in EV now. Turn on the heat full blast and see what range does. I got range this am to go from 23 miles to 18 just by doing that.  Turn the climate contol off and it goes back to 23.  

Drive aggresively today and you will see the projected range tomorow am after a full charge drop like a stone.

External temperature, heat on/off, driving style and highway speed appear to me to be the big dirvers on range. Small chanegs on each can yield big differences

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·