Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Winter driving strategy

c-max energi fusion energi winter cold weather mpg fuel economy strategy

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:10 AM

Hi cwst:

You're certainly in really cold weather so using heat is more necessary.  For me here the average temperature is in the 30's so many times I can get away without heat easily and other time I just have to dress warmer and still make it.

I found my engine will not run in as cold as 0F or above, but once the temp dipped below zero (one day it was -10 to -7F during a drive), the engine started to charge the battery 1/2 way through the trip and charge on the battery.  On the way home in the afternoon it was 17F and a very "easy" drive home for me compared to the negatives on the way in the morning.

No worries about battery warmth, the cold will not hurt it.  It won't be able to put out as much high demand energy (full power), but I never drive more than 1/2 power demand anyways.  Its the stiffness of the car, wind resistance and such that shortens the range in the winter by a much bigger factor than the cold battery.  You can certainly notice the stiffness, the car won't coast nearly as long or far in cold weather and the MPGe numbers can go down by close to 85 from best case in the summer around 210mpge for me to worst case in the winter around 125mpge for the same trip.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 15 September 2016 - 06:11 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#82 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:38 AM

To keep the windows from fogging, I do use the defrost, but in combination with floor heat to prevent the situation where the AC and the heat are fighting each other.

Anyone try this?

#83 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

I understand some folks really want that EV range, but personally, I select the minimum HVAC that will ensure comfort. I bought the vehicle to use, not as a test bed for maximum EV.

Having said that, I will use the seat heaters when possible. However, the fogging of windows is probably the biggest issue for me. I drive into the sun in the mornings, and that window has to be clear.

#84 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:41 AM

By "managing the warmth" I'm working to maximize range / usable capacity in cold weather.  As you said, cold is not harmful to the battery, it just has the potential to interfere with how I like to use the car, even though , much like you, Raja, I rarely use more than about 100 amps when driving. 

For me this means manipulating the value charge profile at home to charge at 120V overnight during the coldest part of the night as this seems to result in a warmer battery in the morning. 

I have Level 2 charging at work, so I set up the value charge profile to charge just before leaving and the Go-Time to warm the car up as much as possible to try and ensure that the battery is as warm as possible when I am driving, and the snow is melted off and the windows are clear :-)

In my driving, above -20F in EV Now, I have pretty good control over when the engine runs, but I don't normally wait until the battery is depleted to do an engine run, the fastest stretch of my commute, where I switch to EV Later when it is below 15F is in the middle of my commute. It is entirely likely that in warmer below zero conditions, the engine would start on it's own before the battery was depleted, but in my particular winter driving habits I don't experience that.  Below -20, the engine seems to want to run quite a bit more, and I seem to have very little control over when it runs.

The shaving cream treatment seems like it's worth trying, and is something I don't have to wait until winter to fully test.  Even now on the cool mornings, the fogging windows cause me to turn on climate control at times that I would otherwise be perfectly happy with the system off.

#85 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:21 PM

Interesting no one said anything about Grill Covers, block and oil pan heaters which I find help a lot during the winter. It is all about conserving energy(Heat). :smile2:

Paul

#86 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Last year was my 1st winter in Winnipeg with the C-Max Energi. My commute is 25 km each way (I can charge at work) and at any temperature above 15F I don't start the ICE, so the impact of those items for me is insignificant.  For someone with a longer commute that spent a significant portion of their drive with a depleted battery (hybrid mode), the grill blocks would probably be helpful.

That said, a C-Max Energi in Winnipeg would normally be equipped with a block heater, but they brought my car in for me from Toronto, and it doesn't have one.  The dealership said it would be quite expensive to have it added due to the amount of disassembly required to get to the block heater location. After the 1st winter, I'm no longer concerned about adding it.  If it was there, I would probably use it when temps drop below -10F since those are the only days I run the ICE for more that a few kms.

I did use Gaffers tape last winter to completely block the middle and top grill openings and I do think it helped get the engine up to temperature during the freeway run I made to clear Oil Maintenance mode that I encountered once last winter.  I'm not sure if I'll tape it this winter, but there is enough left on the roll to tape it if I decide to. If I do it earlier this year, I can get the lower too grill before it gets packed with snow :-)

#87 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan,GA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Hybrid

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

Grill Covers are worth about 2mpg's for improving aerodynamics, smooth surface crates less drag.  As temps go down the air gets more dense which = more drag. :smile2:  :shift:

Paul

#88 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:42 AM

Anyone try this?

I did the shaving cream thing on a few windows in the car.  I haven't had any real tough conditions yet, but I can report some thoughts.

1) At least for the brand I was using, the video shows WAY too much shaving cream being used, I think I could do half the car with the amount they show using on one little area

2) Shaving cream gets everywhere.  It doesn't seem to cause a lot of drama, but just be forewarned

3) Notice in the video, that he uses a different rag to wipe it off.  One rag is fine for applying it, but you need several clean cloths to wipe it off.

4) When you think you have it wiped off, you don't.  I wiped mine down 3-4 times using a clean terry cloth each time, trying to get it to look optically clear.  It isn't.  I'll buy a bale of fresh microfiber and see if I can get it to become optically clear.  Right now it looks like I took up smoking and did a sloppy job of wiping my windows :-(

Like I said, I'll try wiping some more, but so far it seems it may be better suited to side windows and maybe the hatch.  As an initial review, I give it a B for fogging resistance and a D for optical clarity.

• ptjones likes this

#89 ONLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:30 AM

Instead of shaving cream, you could buy the rain-x anti-fog product.  That does exist I got some of it.  While it helps, I found its just easier to crack the windows open and the fogging problem is solved.  No applications necessary in that case, but if you want to try something maybe compare the rain-x product to the shaving cream.

Just know that it does leave something on the windows, some film so to speak for the optical clarity issue you're talking about, but I would say its a B+ instead of a D.  Eventually at the end of the season you will want to clean the windows with windex or other window cleaner, and I found that its necessary to apply the rain-x more than once during the season.

-=>Raja.

• ptjones likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c-max energi, fusion energi, winter, cold weather, mpg, fuel economy, strategy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·