Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Can we reset TPMS system?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimdoc

jimdoc

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationHydes, MD, USA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

When we adjust the pressure in our tires, should we choose to, is it possible for the end-user to reset the TPMS sensing system so it will alarm at a more appropriate level? It is a simple, single, dashboard button-press on my 2008 Prius.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

Nope! It needs to be done with the IDS. You don't need to change it. It's not intended to be used as a tire pressure gauge system.

The threshold is set to notify you when a tire is low enough to be damaged. Not to tell you to add air because you lost a pound.

Edited by drdiesel1, 23 August 2013 - 04:49 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   jimdoc

jimdoc

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHydes, MD, USA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Nope! It needs to be done with the IDS. You don't need to change it. It's not intended to be used as a tire pressure gauge system.

The threshold is set to notify you when a tire is low enough to be damaged. Not to tell you to add air because you lost a pound.

What's "IDS"?

I don't "need" to plug in and run in EV mode either.

On other cars I've driven, the TPMS system alerts when the pressure drops about 25% from whatever it was when the system was "zeroed".

But in the case of the front drive wheels, the car will track differently and the stability system react poorly before that level.

And when I increased the pressures to 42 PSI, and the TPMS was not reset, it would not alarm until pressure had decreased to 75% of 36 PSI (the previous setting). So I reset it.

Alarming at 27 PSI is definitely lower than I would want for a tire that is running at 42 PSI.

#4 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

The IDS is the Ford factory scan tool.  IDS stands for Integrated Diagnostic System.

You'll need to get the "as build data" using your vin number from Ford. This will reset the module to a zero factor and then you

can reset the threshold to your desired pressure.  It's not worth the bother.  Even though the tire pressure has been increased

above the factory spec, it won't be a problem if reported @ 27 PSI.  It's the designed parameter. You have a problem with it because you're running 42. It hasn't changed the tire spec or damage threshold due to the higher pressure. You just want the warning to match your specific settings. I can understand why, but it's not something that's gonna cause a problem. I can do the "as build" setup and change the systems threshold, but I doubt you wanna come that far for a non issue :headscratch:

Edited by drdiesel1, 24 August 2013 - 12:08 AM.

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

#5 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:19 AM

My new winter tires threw a TPMS malfunction fault, so I went back to the store and they retrained the sensors. He used a universal scanner and gave me a print out of the steps. I asked if this procedure will work with my Ford sensor tool and he said yes. Here they are:

1. Set to correct pressure. Set the emergency brake. Leave driver door open.
2. Turn ignition to OFF and press and release the brake pedal.
3. Cycle (press button) ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position. (Push button requires 2 presses for ON)
4. Push and release brake pedal.
5. Turn (or press button for) ignition to OFF position.
6. Cycle ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position.
7. Horn will sound once and TPMS light will blink.
8. Scan tires LF/RF/RR/LR.
9. After LR sensor has been learned, turn ignition to OFF position.

**If the horn sounds when the ignition is turned OFF after step 9, you must train again**

Edited by timwil56, 24 November 2014 - 11:27 AM.

• dr61 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

There is a shortcut, tap the hazard light button on and off 6 times to enter tpsm setup.

-=^Raja.

#7 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

I found this no need for scan tool did similar procedure for daughters Escape and it worked

Ford C-Max TPMS Reset Procedure
FRD-1

With Standard Ignition.
1. Inflate all tires to pressure listed on tire placard
2. Turn ignition to OFF position and press and release brake pedal.
3. Cycle ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position.
4. Press and release brake pedal.
5. Turn ignition to OFF position.
7. Horn will sound once and TPMS telltale will blink once train mode is initiated. If equipped with message center, it will display TRAIN LF TIRE. Place antennae of learn tool on sidewall of LF tire 180 degrees from valve stem to activate sensor. Horn will sound once sensor has been recognized, Repeat step for RF, RR, and LR tires.
8. After training LR tire the message center will display TRAINING MODE COMPLETE. If the vehicle is not equipped with the message center display, successful completion can be verified by turning the ignition to the OFF position and not hearing the horn sound. If the horn sounds, the training procedure must be repeated.

**WITH INTEGRATED KEY FOB (ACTUAL KEY CONTAINED IN KEY FOB) PUSH BUTTON START:
1. With vehicle off, press and release the brake pedal.
2. Using the push button, press and hold the button until the vehicle is in acessory mode (ACC mode).
WARNINGl DO NOT PUSH RELEASE TOO QUICKLY. PUSH - WAIT FOR SOUND - RELEASE.
3. Power off by pushing the button 1 time.
4. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.
5. Press and release the brake pedal, then turn vehicle off.
6. Using the push button, press and hold the button until the vehicle is in acessory mode.
7. Power off by pushing the button 1 time.
8. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.
9. Horn will sound once and TPMS telltale will blink once train mode is initiated.
10. Starting at LF tire, decrease air pressure until horn chirps. Repeat procedure for remaining tires in the following order: RF, RR, and LR. If equipped with banded sensors, place antennae of learn tool on sidewall of LF tire 180 degrees from valve stem to activate sensor. Horn will sound once sensor has been recognized. Repeat step for RF, RR, and LR tires.
11. After successfully programming the LR tire, the message center should display “TRAINING COMPLETE’ 
12. Inflate all tires to pressure listed on placard.

***WITH INTELLIGENT ASSIST IGNITION SYSTEM (NO ACTUAL KEY CONTAINED IN KEY FOB):
1. With vehicle off, press and release the brake pedal.
2. Using the push button, press once to turn on, then press again to put vehicle into ACC mode, then press again to turn vehicle off.
3. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.
4. Press and release the brake pedal, then turn vehicle off.
5. Using the push button, press once to turn on, then press again to put vehicle into ACC mode, then press again to turn vehicle off.
6. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.
7. Horn will sound once and TPMS telltale will blink once train mode is initiated. If equipped with message center, it will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
8. Starting at LF tire, decrease air pressure until horn chirps. Repeat procedure for remaining tires in the following order: RF, RR, and LR. If equipped with banded sensors, place antenne of learn tool on sidewall of LF tire 180 degrees from valve stem to activate sensor. Horn will sound once sensor has been recognized. Repeat step for RF, RR, and LR tires.
9. After successfully programming the LR tire, the mse

#8 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:50 PM

There is a shortcut, tap the hazard light button on and off 6 times to enter tpsm setup.

If you power up the car normally and then press the hazard light button 6 times in a row you get the "train left tire" prompt.

Is that not the same as all of the above?

-=>Raja.

#9 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 460 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

Sorry that is what happens when you post at the same time, and are in a hurry. I was able to train the TPMS on my daughters Escape by letting air out of each tire without a tool was my point didn't not know about the 6x hazards.

#10 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

-=^Raja.

A little more than just tapping the hazard light button, but is this what you're referring to?

#11 OFFLINE   RubyMax

RubyMax

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationNortheast Ohio
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, 302A, Pano; Focus Electric

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

I bought one of those off ebay for about 40 bucks.

#12 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

That's exactly right, but if you don't have the tool you first inflate the tires to the pressure you want them to be, then start the training procedure by powering up and pushing the hazard 6 times.  Then, go to the left tire and leak the air out until the horn sounds, move to the next tire front right and do the same to all 4 tires.  Once training is complete inflate the tires back to the original PSI you're running.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 25 November 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

The OP was asking about changing the warning pressure threshold and you need the IDS to do that.

Training tire location isn't the same and can be done with a TPMS tool.

Really no need to train tire locations on this type of system, as it only lights the TPMS lamp

without indication of the tire that's low. You need to perform a visual inspection to know that.

The IDS will show the low tire location, but it's kinda redundant to train em without owning one.

Edited by drdiesel1, 25 November 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

My new winter tires threw a TPMS malfunction fault, so I went back to the store and they retrained the sensors. He used a universal scanner and gave me a print out of the steps. I asked if this procedure will work with my Ford sensor tool and he said yes. Here they are:

1. Set to correct pressure. Set the emergency brake. Leave driver door open.
2. Turn ignition to OFF and press and release the brake pedal.
3. Cycle (press button) ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position. (Push button requires 2 presses for ON)
4. Push and release brake pedal.
5. Turn (or press button for) ignition to OFF position.
7. Horn will sound once and TPMS light will blink.
8. Scan tires LF/RF/RR/LR.
9. After LR sensor has been learned, turn ignition to OFF position.

**If the horn sounds when the ignition is turned OFF after step 9, you must train again**

After changing my tires back to summer rubber for my trip to AZ, I confirmed this morning that the above process works. Of course, you have to have a Ford TPMS Sensor Tool.

A little more than just tapping the hazard light button, but is this what you're referring to?

After multiple attempts, I could not get the above procedure to work.

After multiple attempts I could not get the procedure below to work either.

If your vehicle has push-button ignition:
1. Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle specifications.

2. Make sure ignition button is OFF then press and release the brake pedal. 

3. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. 

4. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off. 

5. Press and release the brake pedal. 

6. Tap the ignition button once so the vehicle is OFF. 

7. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. 

8. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off. 

9. The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode. 

10. Place the top of the FORDTRIGGER on the sidewall of the driver's side front tire in the location of the valve stem. 

11. Press the button of the FORDTRIGGER tool. The vehicle's horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned. 

12. Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less. 
13. After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver's side rear tire. 

14. You may now turn the ignition to OFF. If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully.

If the horn sound twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

#15 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

Again..........Why bother training tire location ?  The system only illuminate the LTPMS lamp

when a tire is low. It won't tell you tire location on the display anyway :headscratch:

#16 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

Again..........Why bother training tire location ?  The system only illuminate the LTPMS lamp

when a tire is low. It won't tell you tire location on the display anyway :headscratch:

I'm not sure where you are getting that information. When my winter tires were installed, the tech failed to train the sensors and the next day I got a TPMS indicator light with message that there was a failure. I checked and all the tire pressures were correct. The next day I went back to the tire shop, the sensors were trained and I have not had a warning light since. Ford TPMS systems don't indicate the specific tire, only that one or more of the tires are low. Only one set of sensors can be recognized by the system at a time, so you need to retrain each time the tires are changed.

Edited by timwil56, 03 January 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

I'm not sure where you are getting that information. When my winter tires were installed, the tech failed to train the sensors and the next day I got a TPMS indicator light with message that there was a failure. I checked and all the tire pressures were correct. The next day I went back to the tire shop, the sensors were trained and I have not had a warning light since. Ford TPMS systems don't indicate the specific tire, only that one or more of the tires are low. Only one set of sensors can be recognized by the system at a time, so you need to retrain each time the tires are changed.

Did they replace the sensors with a second set, or just move the originals to the new rims ? Changing tires has

nothing to do with retaining the TPMS system, unless you're adding a second set with new sensors.

Moving the original sensors when rotating tires, changing tires won't affect it. Only replacement(s) will

require learning to the systems information table.

Edited by drdiesel1, 03 January 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

Did they replace the sensors with a second set, or just move the originals to the new rims ? Changing tires has

nothing to do with retaining the TPMS system, unless you're adding a second set with new sensors.

Yes, it's a second set of sensors on steel rims. I went with a second set of rims so I can change the tires without having to go to a tire shop each time. I put the winter tires on in late fall, remove them in January and reinstall them in mid February for the remainder of the winter.

#19 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• 1,645 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Yes, it's a second set of sensors on steel rims. I went with a second set of rims so I can change the tires without having to go to a tire shop each time. I put the winter tires on in late fall, remove them in January and reinstall them in mid February for the remainder of the winter.

So the shop failed to learn the NEW sensors to the vehicles TPMS module and you had to go back

to have them do the job properly. Good help is hard to find and most tire shops have an abundance

of unskilled labor. Any TPMS tool should work on the C-Max designed system, as long as it can trigger

the sensor..

Edited by drdiesel1, 03 January 2015 - 09:01 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   TopherTheME

TopherTheME

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

After multiple attempts I could not get the "hazard button" method to work for my C-max either. I did get the "push the start button 900 times" method to work once or twice but couldn't actually get the sensors to trigger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·