Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Super Hot Plug

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

Mikekoz, The charge cord should not be tripping the breaker even on a 15 amp circuit as long as nothing else is drawing current this same circuit. I had a faulty charger cord and it was replaced under warrantee. Mine was not tripping the breaker but was simply not working correctly. My old charge cord did get hot at the wall plug of the 15 amp circuit that I had been using. I replaced the outlet with a high quality outlet but that did not eliminate the heating problem at the plug. The replacement charge cord never even gets warm on the wall plug end. hopefully they will replace yours when you take it in.

Tom

I am going to bring them the charger and the melted plate as soon as I can. I think we got lucky the other plates did not catch on fire.  The ones we installed yesterday  were better quality, and I think that is why the circuit was tripping, like it should have. The cheaper ones did not, and that is why the outlets burned. You can be sure I will monitor the charging carefully if they give me a new one.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

I took the charger and the second melted outlet to Ford this afternoon. The person I spoke to said they could not just replace the charger. I had to bring in the car, charger, and leave it with them to test. Even then, if they found something wrong, they would have to submit some other information to Ford just to get it replaced. He did say if I cut the plug and put on my own, the warranty on the charger is void. It sounded like too much of a hassle, so I told the guy thanks and walked out. I may change my mind later, but for now I am just going to put the charger away in storage. I also now do not completely trust it, even if I did get it replaced. One possibility would be to buy another charger, but not the Ford model. I saw some online that were half the price of the original. They were still overpriced, but it gives me another option. If I do that, then later on get the original replaced, I will have a spare.

Edited by Mikekoz, 05 February 2016 - 02:02 AM.

#63 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:41 AM

From what you have described, your EVSE has degraded to the point that it just blows the breaker as soon as it's plugged in. If this is the case, I would have been inclined to find one or more outlets in publicly accessible locations at the dealership and plug you EVSE into as many of them as it took for them to get the message. 

If plugging the EVSE into their outlets didn't trip any of their breakers, that might be an indication that the breaker on the circuit you are using at your house has been stressed by the events that have led up to this point, and perhaps it should be checked or replaced. 

Personally I would continue to pursue getting a replacement EVSE from Ford, if for no other reason than to protect the resale value of your car.

#64 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi 302A Pkg

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

I took the charger and the second melted outlet to Ford this afternoon. The person I spoke to said they could not just replace the charger. I had to bring in the car, charger, and leave it with them to test. Even then, if they found something wrong, they would have to submit some other information to Ford just to get it replaced. He did say if I cut the plug and put on my own, the warranty on the charger is void. It sounded like too much of a hassle, so I told the guy thanks and walked out. I may change my mind later, but for now I am just going to put the charger away in storage. I also now do not completely trust it, even if I did get it replaced. One possibility would be to buy another charger, but not the Ford model. I saw some online that were half the price of the original. They were still overpriced, but it gives me another option. If I do that, then later on get the original replaced, I will have a spare.

My plug melted. I replaced it with a high quality one from Home Depot and it has been fine ever since.

#65 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

We finally dropped off the car and charger with Ford. They called back and left me a voicemail stating they were going to order the "GFCI outlet that charges the car". Outlet!? I am going to call back tomorrow to get clarification. I hope that he means the charger. The GFCI outlet would be the AC outlet the charger plugs into. 

Update: They are replacing the charger! We should have it in a few days! I will not be letting the car charge overnight anymore unattended. I will be plugging it in when I get back from work, and checking the plug every now and then. It may not be 100% charged before I go to bed, but better safe than sorry!!

Edited by Mikekoz, 03 March 2016 - 02:06 AM.

#66 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:14 AM

Ford replaced the charger without hassle and I am happy! I would like to prevent this from happening in the future. I know you are not supposed to use an extension cord with the charger, but a few of you are using relatively short heavy duty ones. My idea is to use one so if the outlet burns again, it damages a $10.00 - $20.00 cord rather than a $700.00 charger. The plug cord is always bent a bit while in the box, so that is a concern.  I also have another problem with using an extension. I use the outlet that is on our front porch, and right now when the charger is plugged in, the lid is shut and water cannot get to the outlet. The outlet is also a little ways in the box, so that helps. If I use an extension, the plug will be exposed to moisture. Is there a way to make the connection waterproof? I was thinking about wrapping it in duck tape, but that sounds kind of crude. Any ideas or recommendation on extension cord type??

Edited by Mikekoz, 07 March 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#67 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

Ford replaced the charger without hassle and I am happy! I would like to prevent this from happening in the future. I know you are not supposed to use an extension cord with the charger, but a few of you are using relatively short heavy duty ones. My idea is to use one so if the outlet burns again, it damages a $10.00 - $20.00 cord rather than a $700.00 charger. The plug cord is always bent a bit while in the box, so that is a concern.  I also have another problem with using an extension. I use the outlet that is on our front porch, and right now when the charger is plugged in, the lid is shut and water cannot get to the outlet. The outlet is also a little ways in the box, so that helps. If I use an extension, the plug will be exposed to moisture. Is there a way to make the connection waterproof? I was thinking about wrapping it in duck tape, but that sounds kind of crude. Any ideas or recommendation on extension cord type??

Glad they replaced the charger. I also had no hassle in getting them to replace a defective charger under warrantee. As for an extension cord, I had originally used a 6' long cord 12 gauge before I got my level 2 charger. A 12 or 14 gauge would be the best choice. The house wiring will be 14 Gauge for a 15 amp circuit. If the cord is exposed to the weather see if you can hang it on the wall so the receptacle is up off the ground and pointing downwards. I have also used a 16 gauge extension cord without issue but would not used this size cord for regular charging.

After an hour or so into a charge cycle check the plug at the wall outlet and at the charge cord plug connection to the extension cord. It should be at the most only slightly warm. If the plug at the wall is hot, the outlet should be replaced. I replaced my wall outlet with a high quality one properly installed with the house wiring connected to the screw lugs. My new charge cord works well with no heat build up at the wall plug after the receptacle was replaced.

Tom

#68 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,047 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

You should always use an extension at least when using an unknown outlet such as at a hotel or friend's house.  This way the charger will be protected from a poor connection.  Check the extension plug for heat an hour after charging to make sure all is good the first time around.  I have used extensions as long as 100 feet whenever needed, and I have a 25 foot extension that I use regularly.  For the 100 foot extension its necessary to unwind most of it, in other words don't use 35 feet and leave 65 feet wrapped up, as the wrapped up section if wound up will get hot, whereas if its unwound on the ground somewhere it dissipates the heat.

Tom gives the rest of the good advice above, enjoy the car!

-=>Raja.

#69 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

Thanks everybody!  :thumbsup: I want to find one about  6 feet long, no more than 15. I am no longer going to be keeping it plugged in overnight or unsupervised. It will have to earn back my trust before I do that again! :smile2:

Edited by Mikekoz, 11 March 2016 - 05:16 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   JenniferHo

JenniferHo

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationHilo, Hawaii
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

I bought my 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid in July 2017 with almost 39,000 miles. I noticed the charger ring on the car did not light when plugged in using the charging unit that came with the car.  Also the amount of miles in the battery after plugging it in at our house for 7 hours gradually diminished from about 24 miles down to 18 miles and a couple of times getting only 14 miles on that long of a charge.  I scheduled a diagnostic with Ford.

Mostly the car would be plugged in about 7-8 hours. The outlet side plug was always extremely hot to the touch. I assumed it was drawing a lot of electricity so I unplugged it and replugged it daily. I took it my car to our only Ford Dealership. It took them a few months before getting a replacement charging ring- Dec of 2017, but they haven't been able to install it yet. By late November we noticed the plug had melted the outlet's plastic plate cover on one side and scorched the other, though outlet is still usable. I stopped using my car's charger and haven't used since 11/2017  for fear of starting a fire.

I took it in to Ford to see if they could replace it as I see there are several people who had similar problems. Our 1920's house was completely rewired in 2006. We are connected to a public utility and I have had an electrician come evaluate if there was any problem with our wiring. He found NO PROBLEM with our wiring- in fact the outlet still works on the only scorched side. Since it is the wall plate that melted he believes the problem is that the charging unit does not dissipate heat sufficiently. Since the electrician came and checked our circuits and the wiring gauge, and found everything to code, I believe Ford should replace my charger as defective. I can supply photos, if necessary, and the electricians written description of everything. I never used an extension cord because the charger cord was long enough to reach the charging port and our house outlet.

#71 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

I bought my 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid in July 2017 with almost 39,000 miles. I noticed the charger ring on the car did not light when plugged in using the charging unit that came with the car.  Also the amount of miles in the battery after plugging it in at our house for 7 hours gradually diminished from about 24 miles down to 18 miles and a couple of times getting only 14 miles on that long of a charge.  I scheduled a diagnostic with Ford.

Mostly the car would be plugged in about 7-8 hours. The outlet side plug was always extremely hot to the touch. I assumed it was drawing a lot of electricity so I unplugged it and replugged it daily. I took it my car to our only Ford Dealership. It took them a few months before getting a replacement charging ring- Dec of 2017, but they haven't been able to install it yet. By late November we noticed the plug had melted the outlet's plastic plate cover on one side and scorched the other, though outlet is still usable. I stopped using my car's charger and haven't used since 11/2017  for fear of starting a fire.

I took it in to Ford to see if they could replace it as I see there are several people who had similar problems. Our 1920's house was completely rewired in 2006. We are connected to a public utility and I have had an electrician come evaluate if there was any problem with our wiring. He found NO PROBLEM with our wiring- in fact the outlet still works on the only scorched side. Since it is the wall plate that melted he believes the problem is that the charging unit does not dissipate heat sufficiently. Since the electrician came and checked our circuits and the wiring gauge, and found everything to code, I believe Ford should replace my charger as defective. I can supply photos, if necessary, and the electricians written description of everything. I never used an extension cord because the charger cord was long enough to reach the charging port and our house outlet.

Sounds like you have been thorough in checking it out and taking the extra step of having an electrician examine the outlet was a good idea. The only additional testing that I might do is take a short 12 gauge extension cord and see if the hot plug is on the charge cord end or the outlet end. If the charge cord plug gets hot again then I think you have proved the charge cord is the problem. If the heat is at the outlet then there is still a problem at the outlet end. 

Another test would be to charge using a different outlet location to see if the heat problem is still present. Of course once the cord has overheated it might be compromised at this point and be a problem anywhere it is plugged in.

I have found that cheap outlets (The under $2 variety) Often can't support the long duration high amperage (12 or more amps for most of the charge cycle) as well as a high quality outlet can. If the outlet uses pushpins for the wires rather the the screw terminals, that is also a problem, since the wiring contact area is less and makes the outlet more likely to get hot under the high load.

When you take the cord in for replacement make sure to emphasize that the charge cord is a safety hazard. This wording is more likely to get their attention and help justify replacing the charge cord.

Hope they do replace your charge cord.

Tom

#72 OFFLINE   jzchen

jzchen

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArcadia, CA
  • My C-MAX:None
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Honda Clarity PHEV

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

Just like the connection in the outlet, once the wiring/connection inside the plug gets weak/worm, it gets hot. Users have replaced the plug and have reported the thermistor value in another thread. I do not know the warranty terms given you, but I would not get my hopes up that they will replace it under warranty I’m afraid.

Open the warranty booklet to see the section that battery degradation is also not covered, and is considered normal.

I have been concerned about new/unusual speed dependent sound...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·