Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Super Hot Plug

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

You should plug it directly into the outlet. Using an extension cord or power strip could be the cause of your problem.

This new surge protector is not a power strip, and resulted in lower temperatures in the one test.  No extension cord in use (other than 100' of 12/3 wiring from the breaker box which is a type of extension cord!)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

I agree with honemch, I plugged it directly into the outlet and its warm but not as hot.  The extension cord I was using was short and thick, I just need to check the end plug wiring on it to see why its causing heat.  I needed to use it when my sprinkler system adapter was plugged in, not that its not I can plug in the Ford charger directly to the wall.

-=>Raja.

#43 OFFLINE   JasonIndianapolis

JasonIndianapolis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

UPDATE:

Have been working with a third dealer, with coordination from HQ in Detroit.  Short story is this:

1) After having the car for about three days, dealer called and said the cord that comes with the car is "only to be used in emergency situations" and that it was never intended to be used for regular charging (because the cord/plug gets very hot; was told this was the reason why the plug overheated regardless of which location I plugged it into; my home, parent's home, etc,).  I was told (direct quote) "if you don't want to buy a (Level 2) charging station for your home, then you should question your commitment to this technology and maybe trade your car in for something else, and we'll be happy to do that."  I asked if they'd take the car back and cancel the lease; they would not do that.  They did offer to get me a new charge cord for $810 with no ETA on shipment as they are on back-order.

2) Given the above, I went to the dealer the next day to pick up the car and post it on SwapLease or LeaseTrader.  When I got to the dealer, the tech (not the service adviser I spoke with the day before), said that a few moments prior to me showing up to pick up the car, he received a note from Detroit saying that Ford would send a new cord to me; no charge (however, shipment date is TBD as they are back-ordered). 

So we have our car back, and it hasn't been charged for a month since the plug prong disintegrated and the cord became useless.  No idea when the new cord will arrive.  We're sort of on the losing side of the business case since we can't charge the car at home, and it's like driving a heavy, expensive, non plug-in CMAX.

To top it off, maybe I'm being a bit unfair, but being in the customer service business as I am, I was annoyed that the dealer knew we hadn't been able to charge the car for a month, they had the car for three days, and it had no charge when I picked it up.  It would have been classy of them to have the car charged up when I picked it up I think, but they didn't consider it.  To be fair, they did pick up the tab for the rental car.

As an aside about the rental car (just an amusing story to share), when I got the rental car, I noticed the gas tank was nearly empty.  I travel a fair amount for business and am used to starting will a full tank (guess I'm spoiled).  I asked the guy why I was getting a car I had to fill up right away before it ran out of gas.  He said it was company policy to do that because they were losing "hundreds of dollars a month" from customers receiving rentals with full tanks, driving a total of 20 miles or less, not replacing the gas, and saying they filled it up (since the gauge didn't really move and still "full").  By handing out cars with a few drops left (the dealership is about 50 yards from a gas station), he said people have take the car to the gas station on their own first before they drive away, and the customers generally put more gas in the car than they use when they do that.  You have to laugh :)  I'm sure it saves them money, but you'd think there'd be a more customer friendly way to solve this than hand people rental cars with no gas in them (like a small gas charge for the situations he spoke of unless customer can show a gas receipt or something).  Nevertheless, it was pretty funny.

Will post the next update when I get the new cord and then we will know if it was the cord or not.

Thanks!

Jason

#44 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

After having the car for about three days, dealer called and said the cord that comes with the car is "only to be used in emergency situations" and that it was never intended to be used for regular charging (because the cord/plug gets very hot; was told this was the reason why the plug overheated regardless of which location I plugged it into; my home, parent's home, etc,).  I was told (direct quote) "if you don't want to buy a (Level 2) charging station for your home, then you should question your commitment to this technology and maybe trade your car in for something else, and we'll be happy to do that."  I asked if they'd take the car back and cancel the lease; they would not do that.

What are they SMOKING??   :drool:  Maybe I need some of that eh?  Sometimes dealers are so misinformed its not even funny.  I've been using the stock charger for a year+, those guys gotta be kidding you...

As an aside about the rental car (just an amusing story to share), when I got the rental car, I noticed the gas tank was nearly empty.  I travel a fair amount for business and am used to starting will a full tank (guess I'm spoiled).  I asked the guy why I was getting a car I had to fill up right away before it ran out of gas.  He said it was company policy to do that because they were losing "hundreds of dollars a month" from customers receiving rentals with full tanks, driving a total of 20 miles or less, not replacing the gas, and saying they filled it up (since the gauge didn't really move and still "full").  By handing out cars with a few drops left (the dealership is about 50 yards from a gas station), he said people have take the car to the gas station on their own first before they drive away, and the customers generally put more gas in the car than they use when they do that.  You have to laugh :)

So what are they doing now, the reverse?  Draining cars from gas that rental customers put in and leaving 1 gallon for new customers to fill up?  This way they can cash in on rental customers extra gas put in and use it to fill new dealer cars sold??   :drop: 

You certainly experienced some crazy stuff at that dealership!!!   :confused:

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 22 September 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   campngolf

campngolf

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationNorCal
  • My C-MAX:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

1) After having the car for about three days, dealer called and said the cord that comes with the car is "only to be used in emergency situations" and that it was never intended to be used for regular charging (because the cord/plug gets very hot; was told this was the reason why the plug overheated regardless of which location I plugged it into; my home, parent's home, etc,).  I was told (direct quote) "if you don't want to buy a (Level 2) charging station for your home, then you should question your commitment to this technology and maybe trade your car in for something else, and we'll be happy to do that."  I asked if they'd take the car back and cancel the lease; they would not do that.  They did offer to get me a new charge cord for $810 with no ETA on shipment as they are on back-order.

Perhaps this dealer should question their commitment to selling EV's since they don't seem to want to put in the effort to actually KNOW their vehicles.

#46 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

UPDATE:

Have been working with a third dealer, with coordination from HQ in Detroit.  Short story is this:

1) After having the car for about three days, dealer called and said the cord that comes with the car is "only to be used in emergency situations" and that it was never intended to be used for regular charging (because the cord/plug gets very hot; was told this was the reason why the plug overheated regardless of which location I plugged it into; my home, parent's home, etc,).  I was told (direct quote) "if you don't want to buy a (Level 2) charging station for your home, then you should question your commitment to this technology and maybe trade your car in for something else, and we'll be happy to do that."

Jason

What an incredible sorry excuse for a Ford dealership.  The ignorance exploding from their statement is astounding.  It's not you who should question a commitment to plug-in technology, but Ford in giving that dealership authorization to sell and service plug-in cars.  Do they not even read the literature they hand out or the Ford website?

You should pass that comment on to the Ford person on this forum as I'm sure Ford would be interested in knowing how stupid one of their dealers is.  Perhaps Ford can send out a system wide email educating their sales and service force on reality.

#47 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Locationmaryland
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

Yeah, that Ford dealer is completely inept. The charge cord is only to be used for emergencies? Like if you ever run out of gas? How many people have a 110V plug within 15 feet of them when they run out of gas?? Or an emergency like when the power goes out and your C-Max is almost out of gas and you need to go somewhere? OK! Just plug in and....wait a minute. :banghead:

If I were you, I'd find a new servicing dealer. Sounds like the one you are currently dealing with is run by a bunch of retards.

#48 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Cmax Energi

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but we are apparently having the same problem. I noticed about a month ago the outlet outside where I plug in my Cmax Energi was burnt on the outside. A friend of mine is an electrician, who replaced the outlet, but now the replacement is also burnt after a few weeks. The rear of the first outlet was melted when we removed it, although it was still charging the car. I am also disheartened reading all of these posts where Ford is not helping with the issue, putting blame on the outlet. I have just read this thread, and another one on a different forum, and the stories are the same. If a different outlet is used, that one gets damaged also. I have never noticed mine getting hot, but I charge it overnight and apparently by the time I unplug it, it is no longer charging, so not warm. The plug prongs are caked with black crap! It is also BS that Ford told a few of you that the charger was intended for emergency use only. Our sales person NEVER mentioned this at all when he was going over the car with us. I am going to bring the charger to Ford and see what they say, but I am not expecting a whole lot to come out of it. Customer service is a dead concept these days. If they do not help me out with this, my car becomes a standard hybrid. The charger should be covered under our warranty, especially when you consider how much money we paid for the extended service plan. I will keep everyone posted about my experience!

#49 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

Its a bad connection between the plug and the outlet.  If you have a good quality outlet, it should not get hot.  You should check it in the middle of charging, about an hour into it, to see what the temperature is like.  

I always use an extension cable between my OEM Ford charger and any "suspect" outlet.  This way if it gets hot it won't damage my charger as I know the connection between my extension and the OEM plug is solid (I got a high quality cable).  You can plug in the OEM charger direct to the wall if you have a known good outlet, but when I visit friends or just use some outlet in the street then I use my extension for sure.

Its not an emergency charger, I use mine all the time and honestly don't even have a need for the 240v charger at home, I only need and use that on the road when I am having something to eat to the car can charge quicker, otherwise overnight at a hotel or at my house there is plenty of time and I use the OEM charger for that.

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 17 January 2016 - 06:45 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

I had a cheap outlet that started to discolor and the charge cord plug was getting progressively hotter during charging. I replaced the outlet with a high quality outlet and after that the charge cord wall plug would then only get warm to the touch during the charge cycle.

I had a separate issue where the charge cord did allow the car to be charged up but it would fail to shut down the charge cycle when the lever on the handle was pressed during the charge cycle. When I took it in to check out and explained that a failure of the charge cycle to stop when disconnecting during the charge cycle was a safety issue. They easily duplicated the problem and replaced the cord under warrantee. Interesting that the new charge cord wall plug does not get warm at all during the charge cycle.

I only occasionally used the 110V charge cord but it as Raja said it  is quite capable for every day use. Besides many owners may not need or aren't able to have a level 2 charge station installed.

Tom

#51 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:05 AM

What Raja said. This has nothing to do with Ford, the car or the charger, and everything to do with the quality of the outlet, and the skill of the electrician that installed it.

Replace the outlet with a QUALITY outlet - and by this I don't mean a $1.99 Chinese cheapie from Home Depot. Put something like a Hubbell outlet in there - if it was less than $5 or $6 for the receptacle, then it's not good enough. When it is connected, make sure your electrician uses the screw terminals, NOT the push-in terminals, and screw them down tight.

#52 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 361 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • My C-MAX:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

I do believe that this type of problem generally starts with an outlet that is not of sufficient quality and/or not installed in a manner that is appropriate for 12A continuous load.  It should be noted that plugs and outlets are also subject to wear over time as the plug is plugged and unplugged.  An outlet that was fine when it was new, may start to show problems within a few years, or even a few months, if the cord is unplugged and re-plugged every day. 

I also tend to believe that once the plug on the EVSE has been experienced a poor connection and heated up, that plug becomes more likely to experience another poor connection in another outlet.  I'm not sure if it is a function of deformation, oxidation, internal damage. wear, some other factor, or some combination of those, but it seems to happen too often to deny. 

I would encourage Mikekoz to discuss it with your dealer and give them a chance to support you well.  Going in with low expectations and a combative attitude will not likely help anything. 

I do charge my battery completely using my 110V EVSE every day, and have not had a problem, but I do leave that EVSE in the garage, mounted to the wall, and it has only been plugged/unplugged a few times.  I monitor the plug temperature at least once a week (I tend to charge during the day on weekends, so I can check then during the middle of the charging cycle.) In the 1st house I used this EVSE in, I never experienced any more than a very slight warming during the 6 months I used it there.  When we moved, the 1st time charged, I checked the plug/outlet temp and although it was not alarmingly warm, it was too warm for my taste.  I replaced that outlet with a much higher quality outlet, and it has never gotten even slightly warm to the touch since then.

#53 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Thanks everybody. The person who installed it knew what he is doing and is an electrician, but retired. He did use the screw terminals on the outlet, and told me more than once to never use the push terminals if I ever do this myself. As far as the quality of the outlet, I do not know. It came from Ace Hardware and was made in China like most everything these days. I think I paid about $12.00 for it. Ace's prices are a bit high, so anywhere else this would probably be $6-7.00. Also, right now the terminals of my charger are caked with black residue (carbon?). I sprayed DW40 on it before I left for work to help clean them. Is there a better way to get this stuff off of the terminal on the charger? I do not want to plug it back in until I get it cleaned and the plate replaced. 

#54 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

Thanks everybody. The person who installed it knew what he is doing and is an electrician, but retired. He did use the screw terminals on the outlet, and told me more than once to never use the push terminals if I ever do this myself. As far as the quality of the outlet, I do not know. It came from Ace Hardware and was made in China like most everything these days. I think I paid about $12.00 for it. Ace's prices are a bit high, so anywhere else this would probably be $6-7.00. Also, right now the terminals of my charger are caked with black residue (carbon?). I sprayed DW40 on it before I left for work to help clean them. Is there a better way to get this stuff off of the terminal on the charger? I do not want to plug it back in until I get it cleaned and the plate replaced. 

Don't plug it in like that. The black stuff is oxidation. It will cause resistance when plugged in, resistance will cause heat, which will cause more oxidation...and in a worst case scenario, can cause a fire.

Take some emery paper, fine sandpaper (or if you have nothing else, a nail file) and get rid of the black oxidation. Make sure the plug is shiny and clean before plugging it in again.

#55 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

Don't plug it in like that. The black stuff is oxidation. It will cause resistance when plugged in, resistance will cause heat, which will cause more oxidation...and in a worst case scenario, can cause a fire.

Take some emery paper, fine sandpaper (or if you have nothing else, a nail file) and get rid of the black oxidation. Make sure the plug is shiny and clean before plugging it in again.

Thanks! I was able to get most of it off by using sandpaper and a small file, but some still remains. Is there something I can soak the AC plug in to clean the rest of it off? Any help would be appreciated!

#56 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:07 AM

Thanks! I was able to get most of it off by using sandpaper and a small file, but some still remains. Is there something I can soak the AC plug in to clean the rest of it off? Any help would be appreciated!

Normally sulfuric acid is the best way to remove this chemically, but that would likely damage the rest of the plug as well. You could try letting it sit in vinegar for a day or two, that might dissolve and loosen up enough of it that you could mechanically remove the remains.

#57 OFFLINE   Mikekoz

Mikekoz

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Update: I think I can safely rule out the outlet. My electrician friend swapped out the outlet and every time we plugged in the charger, the circuit breaker tripped. If we plugged in the charger in another outlet that ran off the same breaker it did the same thing. Just for the heck of it, we swapped it out with a 4th outlet and the same thing happened. In all cases, the other end of the charger was NOT plugged into the car. He had testers that worked and I also plugged in a few small AC powered items into the outlets and they worked fine.  He also noticed on the electric plug, on the base of the prong that had the oxidation build up on it, there was a bulge in the plastic, which tells us there is something wrong with the wiring in it. I thoroughly cleaned all the prongs so they were nice and shiny. I am going to take it to Ford and see if they will swap it under warranty. If they do not, the car pretty much becomes a standard  hybrid. From what I understand, these chargers are about $800.00 and we do not have that kind of money right now. 

#58 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

Worst case scenario if they don't swap it out you cut the plug off on the charger and install a new good quality one.

-=>Raja.

#59 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

Update: I think I can safely rule out the outlet. My electrician friend swapped out the outlet and every time we plugged in the charger, the circuit breaker tripped. If we plugged in the charger in another outlet that ran off the same breaker it did the same thing.

It sounds like you may have a faulty charger, but as I found out after I melted an outlet up the line on the same circuit with multiple plugs, the outlet you plug the charger in to must be a single outlet on a dedicated 20 amp or greater circuit. Also, make sure the outlet itself is rated 20 amp.

#60 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

Mikekoz, The charge cord should not be tripping the breaker even on a 15 amp circuit as long as nothing else is drawing current this same circuit. I had a faulty charger cord and it was replaced under warrantee. Mine was not tripping the breaker but was simply not working correctly. My old charge cord did get hot at the wall plug of the 15 amp circuit that I had been using. I replaced the outlet with a high quality outlet but that did not eliminate the heating problem at the plug. The replacement charge cord never even gets warm on the wall plug end. hopefully they will replace yours when you take it in.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·