Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Super Hot Plug

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

JasonIndianapolis, I thought about you this morning when I unplugged my car. My car value charged from 8:00 PM to 01:14 AM and I leave for work at 03:15. My plug and cord were cool as a cuke.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Platinum Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

This owner has had this problem for a YEAR ????????????????? This is unbelievable :drop: 

Sounds like the Ford dealer you're dealing with is a bunch of idiots. It's not rocket science.  

#23 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationFranklin, MA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi Titanium with Moonroof

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Just as an FYI to you guys:

My plug on the 110v charger gets hot also, not so hot that I can't touch it with bare hands, but its hot.  I can measure the temperature next time.  

It gets hot no matter where I plug it, whether its direct into a new outlet at my house or somewhere else, or even at the end of the 8 foot heavy duty extension cable.

FYI, its only getting hot while the car is charging, so temp will rise in the plug to some peak and once the car is charged it cools off, you won't notice it hot if you leave it plugged in overnight.  Check yours by going to touch it like half way through the charge, I'm betting you're going to find that its hot, just the plug and some heat goes into the short wire to the charger.  The cable going to the car gets warm but not as hot.  If I'm using the extension, the heat transfers to the extensions plug, and propagates about 1 foot in each direction from the plugs (ext and charger).  The extension's plug at the outlet is warm and not nearly as hot as the charger's plug at the outlet.

Everyone please check yours in the middle of a charge, and let us know if its hot.  I think its heating due to 1400w going through there, maybe the plug should have been beefier?

-=>Raja.

Edited by rbort, 24 July 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Locationmaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Overheating/melting concerns is the reason GM decided to have the 120V charging cord for the Volt default to 8 amps instead of 12. I'm surprised Ford didn't even offer the option of charging at a lower amp setting. Especially since at even 8 amps, the car would easily be able to charge fully overnight (8-10 hours).

1400 watts of juice flowing out of an outlet for 6-7 hours is a seriously strain. Usually the only common household electronics that use that much juice are hair dryers, coffee makers, and irons, and those are usually only on for a few minutes at a time. Have you had an electrician come out to your house to inspect your outlets? It sounds like it's a problem with the charging cord itself, but you may want to have someone check out the outlets for peace of mind, especially if you decide to keep the NRG.

Also sound like the dealerships you've been dealing with have been giving you the runaround. I'm surprised Ford won't replace the unit under warranty. I had an issue with my Volt's 120V charging cord, and the dealership had it replaced with a new one without any hassle.

#25 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

My plug is warm, but not hot, when I unplug shortly after the charging ends, I mean come on, there's a fair amount of amperage being drawn on a 12 gauge wire. When folks say their plug is hot, do you mean that it's too hot to touch, or warm to the touch?

#26 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Mine gets fairly warm (still touchable with bare skin) on the house side of the EVSE. The EVSE itself and car side get noticeably warm, but not near as warm as the house side.

FYI my house was built in 2006 with a 200amp panel and all the sockets are run off 20 amp breakers.

#27 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

I have an IR gun, I'll give you an exact temp next time I have an opportunity to do so, might be next week as my car is full now and I'm leaving to Delaware shortly.

-=>Raja.

#28 OFFLINE   JasonIndianapolis

JasonIndianapolis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

timwil56
  • I wish I could check MyFordMoble.  One of the (many) unfortunate things about this dealer visit was that the sync update knocked out our MyFordMobile registration.  I haven't bothered to reset it since you have to goof around with the car and the website to get it back up.  Am still too mad about the all the dealership issues to bother to do it.  I can promise you that even if they did plug it in, it could not have been for more than a few minutes.
  • Glad your plug was "cool".  Mine is too after the charging is done + an hour or two.  It gets hot during an active charge, not when it's just plugged in on its own or when the car is fully charged.  
  • To your question from the 24th, warm would be fine, but mine is literally so hot you have to wear gloves to pull it out, and it has charred to black and melted the plastic on our outlets.

ArizonaEnergi
  • The cord did not overheat for the 1st few months we had it.  But it has done it *every* time since (about 15 months of overheating now).

jeff_h
  • I've asked two dealers to do *exactly* those things you mentioned, and neither would do them.  Just plain common sense troubleshooting, and would be real easy to determine what the issue is (cord, car, or home) - but the dealerships couldn't be bothered with it.

komondor
  • Just PMed her now - thanks!

drdiesel1
  • I'm on my second dealership.  This second one was the worst.  They charged me for services I didn't ask for, and even when they acknowledged I didn't ask for the extra work, they refused to credit it off.  For example, they charged me to rotate the tires even though I didn't ask for that to be done.  The reason I didn't ask for it to be done was because I just had them rotated on my own shortly before I dropped the car off for service.  So the worn tires just got put back to the front.  I asked them to undo the rotation and they refused.  The service mgr. even looked at the tires and acknowledged that it was very clear that they put the more worn tires back up front - his reason for refusing to put them back was "well....at this point the tires are used to being worn a certain way, so it would probably hurt the tires to rotate them".  Yeah.  There was even more that went wrong, but you get the idea.

rbort
  • you are exactly 100% correct.  Expect mine does get too hot to touch without gloves not long into the charge and it's melting the outlets.  "Short cord" gets pretty hot as well.

bro1999
I'll see what Chrystal wants me to do, but yes, our electrician coming out is the next step.  Obviously until the electrician comes out, we can't 100% rule out the outlets as the problem, but considering we've even plugged it into outlets on different circuits in the house, the electrician thinks it sounds more like a short/wire break in the cord.  Am glad you got yours replaced so easily.  I don't need them to go to the expense of giving me a new cord just because I asked - I just wish the dealerships here would at least troubleshoot it properly.  Am happy to take responsibility if my outlets are the issue, but can't believe two dealerships won't bother to do the basics to see if it's the cord/car first before I spend money on hiring someone to come to my house who might just tell me it's an issue with the cord.  I'm sure that would go over well at the dealership - "hey, can you replace my cord - my electrician said it's the cord's fault".   :smile2:

Will provide an update as things happen!

Thank again for all the input - this is a great forum!

Cheers!

Jason

#29 OFFLINE   bro1999

bro1999

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 499 posts
  • Locationmaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Chevy Volt / 2017 Volt / 2017 Bolt EV

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

For your unauthorized repair issue, most, if not all states, have laws in place to protect consumers from such practices. In MD, this is the law regarding auto repair authorization:

• Under state law, you're entitled to a written estimate for all repairs costing more than $50 and you can't be charged more than 10% over the written estimate without your consent. If the mechanic finds that the repair will cost more than 10% than the estimate, or that additional repairs are needed, the shop must contact you to get your authorization.

• You also can't be charged for repairs you didn't authorize. Before signing a repair order, read it carefully. Ask for clarification of any item you don't understand.

• You have a right to keep your replaced parts. Tell the shop ahead of time that you want them returned. Keep them until you are confident the repairs made were necessary and performed properly. If you encounter any difficulty, these parts may assist you in resolving your problem. However: you may not want your part returned if the shop says you will have to pay a "core charge." This fee is charged when you receive a rebuilt part for your car, but do not surrender your part to be traded back to the rebuilder.

For that shady dealer that did the tire rotation without your permission, if you wanted, I would get back in touch with the (non) service manager and quote your state's applicable consumer protection law, and make a reference of getting in touch with your state's attorney general. They might change their tune about not refunding your money. In your case, we're probably only talking 20-30 bucks, but that dealership could use a legal slap or 2 in the face, from what it sounds like. Unless you gave verbal or written consent for the rotation, they performed an unauthorized service.

Edited by bro1999, 07 August 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 481 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I just checked mine I am using an extension cord the outlet nearest my car is hooked up to my fridge and freezer when they kick in it trips the breaker, my extension cord at the outlet is about 133F and about the same where the charger plugs in.

I am probably going to buy some 10-2 wire and make my own cord, I don't want the cable to fail and I can staple it to the wall to make it a little neater.

#31 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

I just measured mine after charging the car up to about 1/4 full on the battery.  The hottest part of the plug (back side) is at around 160F, the sides are a little less closer to 145F and the cord where it comes out of the plug is about 140F.  Its plugged in to the end of my 8 foot heavy duty extension.

Its always done this on mine but I don't have the plug getting burnt or anything like that.  I figure its all the current flowing through making all this heat, probably should have beefed up the plug better but I'd venture to say the hot plug is "normal".

-=>Raja.

#32 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

The other interesting measurement that should be taken is the voltage at your socket.

#33 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Just measured it for you honemch, 120.4v.  What's yours and can you measure your charger plug temperature?

-=>Raja.

#34 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Just measured it for you honemch, 120.4v. What's yours and can you measure your charger plug temperature?

-=>Raja.

Mine is right at 120v. I don't have a way to measure temperature. I would imagine those that have hot plugs either have older houses with warn plugs, smaller gauge wiring, or have lower voltages causing more amperage to be pulled. Or maybe a combination.

#35 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

I recharged today when it was 90F in the garage and sometime after the charging was complete (within an hour) I went out to unplug.  The HVB fan was running.  As I looped the cord and plug over the cord holder/transformer I notice the wires were warm and the plug hot.  I grabbed my infrared thermometer and measured the plug at 140F and the wire coming out of the plug at 110F.

#36 OFFLINE   rbort

rbort

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

ArizonaEnergi...you're too late.  Check it again while the car is still actively charging as the current drops off and the wires cool after the charging is complete.  I'd bet you would find it to be hotter than you measured today.

-=>Raja.

#37 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Right now I'm usually charging at 2AM but as soon as temps are back into the 70s in the day I'll start charging then and will do that measurement.

#38 OFFLINE   Mc2guy

Mc2guy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDMV
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hi all. New to the board but am an engineer with electrical background. The heat you are describing can only be coming from a faulty cable. The fact that you tried multiple outlets in your garage and got the same result makes this pretty straight forward to diagnose. I'm guessing it was a manufacturing defect in the cord. Regardless, STOP USING THE CORD. IT IS A FIRE HAZARD.

What's happening is likely the soldered connection between the prongs and the copper cabling has weakened, creating high resistance. Essentially you have a mini toaster in your cable, which is roasting itself to death. I'll repeat myself for effect, DO NOT USE THIS CABLE AGAIN. Eventually the insulative sheathing will break down enough to short out and catch fire. Don't risk your life.

I would expect Ford to replace this charger, but if they won't, bite the bullet and buy a new one. If it were me, and because I'm comfortable with wiring projects, I'd attempt to replace the pigtail cable to the charge unit and try that. If you are not comfortable with that type of project, just buy a new one.

Good luck.

#39 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:37 PM

I checked mine this afternoon after about 1 hour and the plug was at 110F.  I had changed the surge protector it had been plugged into but I don't know if that contributed to it being hotter in the previous charge.  More testing to follow.

#40 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

I checked mine this afternoon after about 1 hour and the plug was at 110F. I had changed the surge protector it had been plugged into but I don't know if that contributed to it being hotter in the previous charge. More testing to follow.

You should plug it directly into the outlet. Using an extension cord or power strip could be the cause of your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·