Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Super Hot Plug

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JasonIndianapolis

JasonIndianapolis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hello from the Indianapolis area!

We've had our C-Max Energi since mid-Feb.  No issues with the plug in charger or charging in general until this week.

This week, the plug (the part that goes into the wall socket) is getting super hot (had to use an oven glove to pull it out).  Socket was discolored (not burned, but discolored).

Switched to a different outlet to see if it was the outlet, and got the same issue - plug got super hot.  The main/core part of the unit (where the green lights are) did not get hot, was cool to the touch.  Was just the plug and a couple of inches of cord down from the plug that was getting very hot.  We only have it plugged in when we are charging the car.

Anyone else have this issue or know what it might be?  We're going to the dealer Monday to see if we can get it swapped out with a new one.

Thanks!

Jason

• JenniferHo likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 392 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Something is wrong with the plug, charger, or the outlets.  I would stop using the charger until I had the charger and your outlets (and the electrical connection to the outlets) checked out.  The plug should barely be warm.  Electricity might be arcing causing the plug to overheat, which is a fire danger.

I once used an old heavy duty extension cord to connect the charger.  The socket was blackened after disconnecting the extension cord from the socket.  The cord and plug were warm to the touch.  I tried a different extension cord and did not have any further problems.  The extension cord and plugs remained cool to the touch.

Edited by larryh, 29 June 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   CMXNRG

CMXNRG

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationSouthwestern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Energi, Ford F-150

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

How old are your wall outlets? and how used are they? Does the plug fit snug in the socket or is there play in it? Heat is usually generated from loose connections. To troubleshoot you could use an extension cord and see if the plug at the wall outlet gets hot or the plug at the charger. 

I use an extension cord right now for my charger and the plug gets warm but not hot.

#4 OFFLINE   jeffegg2

jeffegg2

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Locationwestland, mi.
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Unbalanced load with bad bonding of the neutral - ground?

Do your lights dim sometimes in the house for no reason?

Are you using an extention cord?

Are the two outlets you tried on the same breaker and or same side of the line?

It is NOT normal for your plug to get so hot that you cannot touch it. Try going to a chargepoint station and using the 110 outlet there, or perhaps someones house to see if it is the car or your house.

Jeff.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

Sounds like this might be a problem with the cable near the wall plug. Since this cable gets used a lot it is possible the wire inside may have frayed. This would effectively reduce the gauge of the wire and could contribute to the excessive heat. Good idea to not use this charger. If you can get the dealer to replace it great. 

#6 OFFLINE   JasonIndianapolis

JasonIndianapolis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

For those who asked questions, here are the answers:

1) House was built in late 2007, so the sockets are pretty new, and in the nearly 4 years we've lived here, only things we've plugged into the wall sockets in the garage is the charger from Ford and a battery tender for the summer cars.  Never an issue with the battery tender plug/wires - they stay very cool.

2) No extension cord use at all

3) Plug is super solid and tight when plugged in

4) Lights don't dim in the house.

5) Not for sure if the different outlets are on the same breaker or not - but am pretty sure they are

Tom_NC_1's idea is what I'm thinking.  I'm guessing something broke inside the cable at the plug.

Will let everyone know what the dealer says tomorrow.  Would have though someone else would have had this issue, but guess not.  Thanks again!

- Jason

#7 OFFLINE   JasonIndianapolis

JasonIndianapolis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

UPDATE:  Two Indianapolis area Ford dealers would not troubleshoot the cord unless we dropped off the car and the cable, and they both mentioned that we could expect to be without the car for at least a week just to troubleshoot / hear-back from them (the first dealership said it might be two weeks before we'd hear back from them).  So I called Ford Customer Care to see if that was really necessary.  Ford Care was not much help either.  All they did was call the second dealership I spoke with and got pretty much the same answer, except the dealer told Ford the "whole truth" on why it would take so long.  It was because their two Enegri trained techs were out on vacation for quite some time.  I know people need vacation, so that wasn't a big deal.  I just wish the dealership had stated that to me rather than hide that fact - and even then, if that was the case, what would be the point of asking me to bring in the car and have it sit around for a week until their techs come back from vacation?  Only reason I can guess is that they didn't want the work to go somewhere else, so they sort of lied and hoped I'd drop the car off anyway and would wait the week or two for the techs to come back.  That dealership is off my list now. The Ford Care rep was surprised I wasn't offered a loaner, but he didn't offer to get one or ask the dealership to get one.

Called a third dealership that's quite a bit away from our home (in Fishers, Indiana), and they offered to look at the cable today without the car, so we dropped off the cable today.  If they can't figure it out, they'll look at our car at 8am tomorrow "while we wait" so that they don't have to keep the car.  This was much more reasonable than dropping the car off for a least a week with no ETA and no loaner.   

I also offered to just buy a new one since this was getting to be a hassle, and was quoted about $536 for a new one, and there isn't one in stock in any Indianapolis dealership.  That's a crazy amount - so we'll go the route we're going a see what happens.

Will keep the thread updated.

Thanks!

- Jason

#8 OFFLINE   rtshinn

rtshinn

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Energi 302a+Sunroof

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

$536. That's a bad joke. There's probably $30 worth of parts (at cost) in that thing.

You can get a 240v charger for about $100 less. And that is overpriced too.

We are definitely paying for the privilege of being early adopters.

• EVger likes this

#9 OFFLINE   JasonIndianapolis

JasonIndianapolis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

UPDATE:  Despite leaving several voicemails with the tech that has our charge cord (and confirming with the receptionist that the tech who has our cord was at the dealership and working), we have not heard anything back.  I will call the dealership again tomorrow (Monday) and see if we can get a response.

Will update again soon.

- Jason

#10 OFFLINE   ITFlyer

ITFlyer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

The majority of the price of the chargers is the wire leading to the car. It's got lots of expensive copper in it, and an expensive sheathing that must be tough, oil-resistant, and still remain pliable at low temperatures.

As for the heating of the plug - when electrical connectors heat up, it is because of electrical resistance. Resistance to electric current flow means electrical energy is being lost, and that energy is being converted into heat.

The vast majority of the time, resistance in electrical connectors is due to corrosion or other contamination. If your cord's plug looks clean and shiny, the problem is likely with your outlets. If this is the case, the dealership won't be able to find anything wrong.

A quick fix: Go to Wal-mart or any automotive store and buy some CRC electrical contact cleaner. Spray it liberally into the socket, and onto your plug. See if that fixes the problem. If not, your best bet is to replace the electrical socket itself.

• jdbob likes this

#11 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

The majority of the price of the chargers is the wire leading to the car. It's got lots of expensive copper in it, and an expensive sheathing that must be tough, oil-resistant, and still remain pliable at low temperatures.

As for the heating of the plug - when electrical connectors heat up, it is because of electrical resistance. Resistance to electric current flow means electrical energy is being lost, and that energy is being converted into heat.

The vast majority of the time, resistance in electrical connectors is due to corrosion or other contamination. If your cord's plug looks clean and shiny, the problem is likely with your outlets. If this is the case, the dealership won't be able to find anything wrong.

A quick fix: Go to Wal-mart or any automotive store and buy some CRC electrical contact cleaner. Spray it liberally into the socket, and onto your plug. See if that fixes the problem. If not, your best bet is to replace the electrical socket itself.

Probably cheaper to replace the socket than buy the cleaner... If you can do it yourself.

#12 OFFLINE   JasonIndianapolis

JasonIndianapolis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

UPDATE: Thanks for the feedback!

Since I couldn't get the tech to call me back, I just drove over to the dealership to speak with him live. He said he had plugged in the cord and didn't find a problem.  I asked him if he just plugged it in the socket (and not then into a car) or plugged it into the socket and a car and let it sit for several hours.  Could not get a clear answer, so I suspect he just plugged it into a wall outlet and not a car as well.  We went back into the shop where he had it plugged in and it was fully coiled up and just sitting on a desk where he had it plugged in.  Just guessing, but by the looks of the desk and the proximity to an open bay, it didn't look like it was plugged into a car to test it.

We are dropping our car off to get an oil change and the update to the hatch software and the sync software next week, so they will do a real test next week. We'll see how it goes.  We have 6 two-plug sockets in our garage, and so far, we get the overheating in all of them.  I can't imagine it's the socket if it's happening in all of them, including the ones that have never had anything plugged into them ever before.  We shall see - more to come.

- Jason

#13 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

So, did you ever get a resolution on this issue?

#14 OFFLINE   JasonIndianapolis

JasonIndianapolis

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  Here's the latest.

Took it into a Ford dealership to have the recalls done and an oil change, so I asked them to please plug the car in with the cord and see if the cord overheats.  They said they would.

Next day (today) when the car is ready pick up, I asked if they were able to duplicate the overheating.  They said no.  I asked if they just plugged the charger in the wall (like the previous dealership), or if they also connected the charger to the car.  I got a long pause and a "thinking look", and a response of, "I'm pretty sure we probably plugged it in".  I asked for how long, and the response was "a good bit".  When I took the car (which I dropped off in hybrid mode / no EV charge left), it still had no charge - so even if they did plug it in (which I doubt), it couldn't have been for any more than a couple of minutes.

I will give them credit for saying they called Ford to ask what they should do, but Ford told them "there's no warranty on the cord", and gave the dealership a list of questions to ask me. Those questions were:

"Is the breaker no more than 15/20?" (mine is 15, so this was good)

"have you tried the plug in several outlets on different circuits and still getting the same problem?" (yes)

"is the house a newer house"? (yes, built Q4 2007)

"do you have any issues when you plug another device into the outlets?" (no)

I think the tech was expecting (hoping?) we'd be non-complaint with at least one of the questions, but we were good on all of them.  So he said, "well, anyway, Ford told me to tell you there's nothing we can do, so you should hire someone to come look at the problem".

Called Ford Customer Service - very nice lady who tried to help, but in the end shared that Ford doesn't have any processes, equipment, or guidance for dealerships on how to diagnose possible issues with the power cord.  She mentioned that all the documentation ends up with the same instructions, which is to advise the customer to hire someone to come to the house and investigate it.   

Not sure what to do next.  Car gets turned back in from lease in the not too distant future, so not sure we'll keep it.

Cheers!

Jason

#15 OFFLINE   SSE

SSE

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 255 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOutside Atlanta GA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

I have noticed that my plug will be warm if I'm unplugging it during a charge. If I'm fully charged it isn't and also today it was very hot when I unplugged it and so the heat absorbing into the stone front of the house probably didn't help.

#16 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

If you take it back and they tell you they plugged it into the car, you can check on the MyFord Mobile web site in the driving and charging history. It will tell you how long it was plugged in, how much charge was gained and if charging was interrupted (unplugged) before a full charge.

#17 OFFLINE   ArizonaEnergi

ArizonaEnergi

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Energi 302A

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

I find it astounding that Ford would say "there's no warranty on the cord".  That's like saying there's no warranty on the battery cables.

In the 9 months since you had the problem have you had consistent hot cable problems every time you charge?

#18 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Region:Sub-Saharan Africa
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Energi x 2

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

If you take it back and they tell you they plugged it into the car, you can check on the MyFord Mobile web site in the driving and charging history. It will tell you how long it was plugged in, how much charge was gained and if charging was interrupted (unplugged) before a full charge.

And if you do go back there, plug your car in with your charger and let it charge for 10 minutes or so, I assume that would be enough for it to get hot, right?  And then ask them to get a charger from a dealer stock Energi and plug that into your car for the same amount of time and see if the behavior is the same.  But from the above description of the dealer experience, this may be an unreasonable request to them - but makes sense if one wants to isolate whether there is an issue with that particular L1 charger.

• SSE likes this

#19 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 467 posts
  • Locationdenver
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Did you contact Ford customer service on the board here, the Bumper to Bumper warranty should cover the charger since it is  not a wear item.

PM Crystal with your VIN and the Dealer you want to work on the issue.  They should just give you an Energi cord from a car in stock to try overnight that would solve the issue.  You have been given a "Wall Job"  ( they park the car against the wall and do nothing) judging by the lack of charge on the car when you went to pick it up.

You could also use the My Ford Mobile to see how long and when it was charged.

Crystal

http://fordcmaxenerg...vice-rep/page-2

#20 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  Here's the latest.

Took it into a Ford dealership to have the recalls done and an oil change, so I asked them to please plug the car in with the cord and see if the cord overheats.  They said they would.

Next day (today) when the car is ready pick up, I asked if they were able to duplicate the overheating.  They said no.  I asked if they just plugged the charger in the wall (like the previous dealership), or if they also connected the charger to the car.  I got a long pause and a "thinking look", and a response of, "I'm pretty sure we probably plugged it in".  I asked for how long, and the response was "a good bit".  When I took the car (which I dropped off in hybrid mode / no EV charge left), it still had no charge - so even if they did plug it in (which I doubt), it couldn't have been for any more than a couple of minutes.

I will give them credit for saying they called Ford to ask what they should do, but Ford told them "there's no warranty on the cord", and gave the dealership a list of questions to ask me. Those questions were:

"Is the breaker no more than 15/20?" (mine is 15, so this was good)

"have you tried the plug in several outlets on different circuits and still getting the same problem?" (yes)

"is the house a newer house"? (yes, built Q4 2007)

"do you have any issues when you plug another device into the outlets?" (no)

I think the tech was expecting (hoping?) we'd be non-complaint with at least one of the questions, but we were good on all of them.  So he said, "well, anyway, Ford told me to tell you there's nothing we can do, so you should hire someone to come look at the problem".

Called Ford Customer Service - very nice lady who tried to help, but in the end shared that Ford doesn't have any processes, equipment, or guidance for dealerships on how to diagnose possible issues with the power cord.  She mentioned that all the documentation ends up with the same instructions, which is to advise the customer to hire someone to come to the house and investigate it.   

Not sure what to do next.  Car gets turned back in from lease in the not too distant future, so not sure we'll keep it.

Cheers!

Jason

Hi Jason,

As komondor suggested, reach out to me via PM so I can look into this. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·