Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.

Guest Message by DevFuse

C-MAX Energi membership upgrade information can be found here.

C-MAX Energi Premium Memberships

Click here to learn about our upgraded memberships.

Ad

Ad

Photo
- - - - -

Clipper Creek LCS-25 with Dryer Plug Install

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

--

Edited by viajero, 18 June 2013 - 03:07 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

--

#3 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

--

#4 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

--

Edited by viajero, 18 June 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

--

#6 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

--

#7 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

--

• Deermouse likes this

#8 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

--

• dr61 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

It hangs from the wall with four screws.  If you set the screws to the right depth it will be snug but can be lifted off.

Great Post!

My thinking was along this line if a dryer plug was not available. Looks like you were a few steps ahead of me in thinking I could use my dryer plug for a level 2 charge at home. I have a dedicated 20amp plug for the OEM level 1 charging cable, but I can see a use for a level 2 charger at home also for a quicker charge when needed. I'm going to consider some serious thought about your idea. Thanks!

Gary

#10 OFFLINE   mikandcoll

mikandcoll

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMilton
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Energi 303A

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

Congrats on the L2 charger, looks like you did a great job. I just ordered the same charger as well but it's rebranded by Sun Country Highway here in Canada. Will get mine installed in two weeks since I don't have a 240 line in my garage by an electrician. In my province they will rebate you 50% of the charger as well as 50% of the installation and 50% of the inspection or up to a $1000.00 whichever is less so made sense to get one and will be nice to be able to quickly top off the battery when I need to. Let us know how the unit performs and how you like it.

#11 OFFLINE   Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

I have the same charger and have been using it for several weeks.  I used an rv plug.  This is a great charger for the price and I am very happy with it.

#12 OFFLINE   Deermouse

Deermouse

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationCoast
  • Color:Ice Storm

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the step-by-step viajero - very informative.

#13 OFFLINE   StanUbeki

StanUbeki

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

DON"T DO THIS!
I've been an engineer for 40 years. The last thing we need in this community is people burning their houses down with home brew charging devices. That blue foam is packing material and is NOT RATED FOR ELECTRICAL SERVICE! Charging generates a lot of heat. Do you have any idea of the flammability ratings on the blue foam? Did you run any controlled tests? People think the Chevy Volt is a fire hazard because of three fires. Two of those were caused by home brew charging devices. If your house burns down and the charger manufacturer sees the unskilled and untested modifications you have clearly documented here, they will defend themselves by informing your insurance company and you will be cut off like a wart, assuming you survive the fire.

Edited by StanUbeki, 18 June 2013 - 07:38 AM.

• dontfret and ITFlyer like this

#14 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

DON"T DO THIS!
I've been an engineer for 40 years. The last thing we need in this community is people burning their houses down with home brew charging devices. That blue foam is packing material and is NOT RATED FOR ELECTRICAL SERVICE! Charging generates a lot of heat. Do you have any idea of the flammability ratings on the blue foam? Did you run any controlled tests?

I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long for someone to tell me I'd burn my house down.  There is nothing home brew about the charging device or the plug.  Both carry UL approvals and are rated for the load involved.  The blue foam is just clamped into the strain relief chamber and is not used for any kind of electrical isolation.  The carpet or table you run an electrical cord over is not rated for electrical service, either.

I had some trepidation in posting this, or any kind of how-to on the internet, my biggest fear being that someone will try to follow my example and hurt themselves, and then sue me.  But I've learned a lot of helpful fixes from things people post online, and I thought it would be sad not to give something back.  So after some internal debate I decided to post it.  Now I'm waffling again and may just take it back down.

#15 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

I decided to remove the instructions but will report back on results using the new charger.  Stay tuned...

#16 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long for someone to tell me I'd burn my house down.  There is nothing home brew about the charging device or the plug.  Both carry UL approvals and are rated for the load involved.  The blue foam is just clamped into the strain relief chamber and is not used for any kind of electrical isolation.  The carpet or table you run an electrical cord over is not rated for electrical service, either.

I had some trepidation in posting this, or any kind of how-to on the internet, my biggest fear being that someone will try to follow my example and hurt themselves, and then sue me.  But I've learned a lot of helpful fixes from things people post online, and I thought it would be sad not to give something back.  So after some internal debate I decided to post it.  Now I'm waffling again and may just take it back down.

I'm a retired Fire Marshal and Fire Investigator and all I seen from your photos was not hazardous. The only concern I had was possible toxic fumes of the foam if it did melt. As you implied, there are far more fire hazards in your home that are more flamable and more toxic than that small piece of foam. Do you have a plastic gas can in your garage? If there was a fire hazard that caused the 3 Volt fires, it was more likely caused by wire size or improper breaker. The first thing I noticed was the rated amps of the charger you picked and the size of a 30amp dryer breaker which looked good to me. I considered your rig, but the length of most charger cords would not be enough to reach my vehicles. 

At this point, I am thinking of the big Leviton 32amp charger with all new wiring with a new 50amp breaker. I need additional tax credits, so I plan to have Home Depot use a qualified contractor to install the breaker and wiring. Locate it in my garage to reach the 25ft cord to most locations in my garage or large driveway where I park my vehicles. That charger has a plug, so I can take it with me if I move. This installation will ad to the home value and support future EV's with bigger packs. 

Gary

#17 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'm confident in my setup electrically.  30 A breaker, 30 A plug, 25 A charger & cables, car that draws maybe 17 A.

But, StanUbeki's comment about charger manufacturers and insurance companies reminded me of something I already knew but should keep more in mind - when something goes wrong, people and organizations have a tendency to look for whatever excuse they can to blame someone else.  Having a licensed electrician install your setup will go a ways toward removing any such excuse should your house and/or car catch fire for an unrelated reason.

#18 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

Coming back to this thread reminded me of something else I thought interesting but forgot to post originally.  My electric company offers rebates of 50% for level 2 chargers and installation.  But they don't just give out money for nothing (nor should they).  In exchange for the rebate, you have to agree for 3 years to give them the option to replace your charger with one of theirs, and to remotely monitor and manage your charging.

Part of me would like to participate in such a study; it could be useful for reducing peak electrical demand.  Another part of me is creeped out by the big brother aspect of the whole thing...

In any case, the same rules that apply everywhere else apply to subsidies/incentives as well.  Read all the applicable documents before you sign on the dotted line.

#19 OFFLINE   Tom_NC_1

Tom_NC_1

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi 302a

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

Viajero, You have a very good power company. I would go for it if I had the chance. Here in NC there are no deals with the power company, No state related credits for electric cars and now the government is debating a extra $100 charge per year for electric vehicles. Only $50 extra for hybrids.  They seem to be most interested in recovering the loss of revenue because we are buying much less gas. Even so I love the car and the cost savings for fuel will be very substantial even if the extra fees are added. 

#20 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

After using the charger for a few weeks and a long weekend I'm very happy with it.  I'm getting more EV driving on the weekends as I expected.  An unexpected bonus that in retrospect should have been obvious is that it can pre-cool the car much quicker when I remote start it, without loss of battery charge.

The charger fills the battery from empty in between 2-2.5 hours, as promised.  The plug is a little bit tighter than the Ford one.  The cord does not get as warm as the Ford 120V charger cord did (Neither of them were coiled up, though).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)