Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.

Guest Message by DevFuse

C-MAX Energi membership upgrade information can be found here.

C-MAX Energi Premium Memberships

Click here to learn about our upgraded memberships.

Ad

Ad

Photo
- - - - -

Air vent chrome reflection

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   davino

davino

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMissouri
  • Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:1998 Volvo V70

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm hesitant to bring this to anyone's attention who hasn't found it a distraction already, but…

Loving the new ride so far, but after a short weekend road trip I was annoyed by sunlight reflecting off the chrome detail around the side air vents reflecting in the window directly in view of the side mirrors. I found it so difficult to see that I consider it a safety issue. I've found mention on other sites but not here on Energi.

I wrote to my dealer:

We did our first short road trip over the weekend and it's been a great ride so far.

I do have a strange request for you guys. I notice that during most daylight conditions the reflection from the chrome trim on the door side air vents inhibit the view of the side mirror. It's kinda dangerous. 

If you don't mind, see if Ford has some solution for me. There are a few comments out there on it. Below is a link where a guy painted over the chrome to fix it. I'm not inclined to do that type treatment until it's paid for ;-)

--

Dealer reply:

Below is the response that I received from Ford.  I don’t agree with it at all so I am going to forward this to the regional service manager for Ford and see what we can get done.  I just wanted to keep you informed.

Thanks,

--

Service manager to dealer: 

Here's the response I got. But it is all over the Internet 

Ford's reply:

The Hotline has not seen reports of this reflections concern occurring on these vehicles and is not aware of any updates or changes to address this condition. If the appearance of the vent trim, mirror, and window glass compare to a like unit, no repairs should be made to attempt to address this condition. 

-- 

• MarionSpyder NY likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   smangerer

smangerer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C max energi

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

I noticed this shortly after I tinted my windows. I dont recall noticing it before then but I tinted rather early on so I may not have had time to see it. At times it is really bad because the reflection is almost the exact size of the mirror. When I need to use the mirror I am able to but it does seem like a flaw in design. 

#3 OFFLINE   Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

I did not notice it until I had the windows tinted as well.  I have thought about getting some model paint in black and painting it myself.  In view of this, I would still have the windows tinted.

Edited by Mr. Green Jeans, 11 June 2013 - 05:44 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   mikeb

mikeb

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Color:Blue Candy

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Yea, it's a small thing, but an annoying one. I'm tempted to paint it, or maybe just apply some black tape to it.

#5 OFFLINE   peterwx

peterwx

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Locationblank
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:blank

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

The sun only shines around Seattle about 3 days per year, but I have noticed the side vent glare and another distracting reflection/glare near the base of the windshield from the forward vent. They went a little too shiny on some parts.
  • EVger and MarionSpyder NY like this

#6 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi 303A w. sun roof

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

This has been an annoyance to me, also, from day one, but I have not yet got around to doing anything about it.

This could be a job for Plasti Dip!

Anyone figure out how to remove the trim?

Edited by Smiling Jack, 17 June 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   davino

davino

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

Actually, for me - with trifocal glasses and learning the blind spot mirror it's more than an annoyance. It's a safety issue. I really like the side mirrors with the blind spot addition, but any time there's daylight the glare can block the view dramatically. My dealer is looking into whether alternative parts are available, before we resort to mods (like Plasti Dip!) Thanks all for input and I encourage you to comment on the issue as a safety concern, as that may influence a more timely response.

• EVger and MarionSpyder NY like this

#8 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Actually, for me - with trifocal glasses and learning the blind spot mirror it's more than an annoyance. It's a safety issue. I really like the side mirrors with the blind spot addition, but any time there's daylight the glare can block the view dramatically. My dealer is looking into whether alternative parts are available, before we resort to mods (like Plasti Dip!) Thanks all for input and I encourage you to comment on the issue as a safety concern, as that may influence a more timely response.

I stand corrected.

I may be annoyed, but the reflection is intense here in sunny Houston, and I absolutely agree that it is a significant safety issue.

#9 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Has everyone noted that the troublesome reflection is actually from the window/  My side windows are pretty heavily tinted.  This probably contributes to the severity of the problem for me.

Does anyone know whether the problem has been noted on the 2013 Escape as well?

Edited by Smiling Jack, 23 June 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   davino

davino

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yes, definitely window reflection. If you always drive with the windows open it's not a problem. And yes there are several posts about the problem on the Escape, as well.

http://www.fordescap...ts-*fixed*.html

Still no solution from Ford. My dealer is offering to have the body shop cover the chrome bezels with pin striping as a temporary solution. They've also looked into some custom trim covers.

http://www.bitrimdat...D1070F&mode=wde

#11 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Yes, definitely window reflection. If you always drive with the windows open it's not a problem. And yes there are several posts about the problem on the Escape, as well.

http://www.fordescap...ts-*fixed*.html

Still no solution from Ford. My dealer is offering to have the body shop cover the chrome bezels with pin striping as a temporary solution. They've also looked into some custom trim covers.

http://www.bitrimdat...D1070F&mode=wde

Thanks.

Looks like the Escapees have already done the Plasti-Dip solution, and that looks like a good way to go for a DIY solution.

I hope that Ford eventually will do a replacement with dark, non-reflective bezels, but I may well do the Plasti-Dip when I get a "Round Tuit"

In the mean time, the pin striping solution seemed an interesting quick fix.  I found a black pinstripe tape precisely the right width at the local O'Reilly's.

worked out pretty well, but it was a bit glossy.  consequently, there's just a hint of edge reflection in some sun angles.

#12 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

I have tinted windows and haven't noticed the problem. Or maybe it's my abnormally long torso that puts my head up really high in the cabin.

#13 OFFLINE   smangerer

smangerer

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C max energi

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Well you are lucky I guess. Just to be clear... your front windows are tinted? We had an unusual rainy couple of days and the reflection was almost as bad with an overcast sky.

#14 OFFLINE   honemch

honemch

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I have all the windows except for the windshield tinted.

#15 OFFLINE   davino

davino

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Here's an update on the issue with me. The guys at my dealership are helpful and courteous. Their temporary solution experiment involved the body shop guy putting pinstriping tape over the chrome bezel. He did a great job, but with a missed edge here, a small wrinkle there it's not a fix. Especially, since the tape is glossy it only helps a little there and not at all where the other chrome reflects. I couldn't gripe too much as they installed my splashguards for free. Here's a before picture...

vent reflection detail

• Deermouse and MarionSpyder NY like this

#16 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

I had this car with tinted windows for almost 7 months and never noticed the reflection.  Then someone posted a picture of it on the hybrid forum and now I notice it almost all the time.  Doh!

#17 OFFLINE   shaggy314

shaggy314

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Energi, 1993 Integra GS

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

It is the same on the Fusion. Tint = reflection. I'm going to try gaffer tape and then matte black paint on the two vents to get the glare out.

#18 OFFLINE   Middleofnowhere

Middleofnowhere

Eating steak and making cows into Energi seats...

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, California
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

My windows aren't tinted and noticed the annoying reflection right away.  I just haven't had time to look into it or contact Ford yet.

#19 OFFLINE   Izzy

Izzy

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMax Energi

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

I'd be tempted to color it in with black permanent marker.

#20 OFFLINE   Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Energi 302A

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

I also noticed it right off - using a black sharpie on it may not be a bad idea...

EDIT: Just went out and did it - a black sharpie puts a nice matt black finish on the bezel and virtually eliminates the annoying glare. And it doesn't look half bad too!

Use a business card as a mask to prevent marking the vent itself or dash, because it will show...

Edited by Baja_Traveler, 01 November 2013 - 10:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users