Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford C-MAX Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Energi Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Scangauge X-Gauges Programming - C-Max / FFH

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationJupiter, FL
  • My C-MAX:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:'09 FEHL, '13 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm not sure if all the codes are "officially" published anywhere.  I've just found them on the internet and tried them and seen which ones work.  I don't know where the original posters got them.  They may be in service manuals or maybe came from Ford or dealer employees.

You'd have to look at the documentation for other adapters to see whether they allow custom codes or not.

One thing to watch out for is that some devices don't turn off when the car turns off.  I got one that worked with my phone but you had to manually flip a little switch to turn it off, otherwise it would stay lit up until your battery died.  Sooner or later I know I'd forget...

Those codes were not published, but a way to get those codes were hidden in information in Fords Workshop Manuals. After we posted those codes, Ford removed a way to figure the codes out in the '08 Manuals. Hopefully, Ford will not figure out and shutdown this information we are still getting. It's not coming from Ford Employees or the Scangauge folks.

Gary

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   viajero

viajero

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

After my purchase of the Energi, CarlD ask me if I wanted the X-Gauge programming for the C-Max. I posted some codes Carl gave me in the beginning of this thread. Carl has now ask if I want more programming codes for the C-Max just the other day again. Do any of you want more information?

The parameters in the original post should keep me busy for a while, but most of them don't work for me.  They just return blank.  Do they all work for you?

#43 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

The parameters in the original post should keep me busy for a while, but most of them don't work for me.  They just return blank.  Do they all work for you?

Carl posted that list for the FFH owners and he doesn't own a C-Max or FFH to test those parameters. I only programmed the ones I see a need for and they all worked. That was SOC, Battery Temperature, and Interior Temperature for now. If I need to get a code or test a module, Carl provides me with programming for just about every system and module in the vehicle.

Gary

#44 OFFLINE   dr61

dr61

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini Cooper S ALL4

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

I got the battery temperature X-Gauge in and it works nicely - very useful! Thanks!

#45 OFFLINE   tlcj

tlcj

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationNorthern Kentucky
  • Current Vehicle:2013 energi

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

Hi All,

I would like to to see some of these readings for fun but did not want to invest that much in a scangauge.  I have ordered a BT device which I plan to use with torque on my android phone.  I have converted  the x-gauge numbers for SOC by the original poster and I am just waiting for delivery to try it out.  My solution is not something to mount in the car.  It is possible that it will not work at all, but I will only be out $20 for trying.  I will try the SOC and battery temperature to start since these seem to be confirmed. I got the conversions from a post in the torque site.  Thanks for your efforts even if it does not work for me.  Interesting topic.  Here are the numbers I came up with for torque following the posts.  I will start a new thread for torque if anything actually works. 

PID: 224801
Long Name: Battery State of Charge
Short Name: SoC
Min: 0
Max: 100
Scale Factor: 1
Unit type: %
Equation: ((A*256)+B)*100*(1/5)+0

• dr61 and Sparky like this

#46 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

I used the info in Gary's original post to create a bunch of torque pro pid+equations.  The ones in the following screen shots work to some part, except:

1. hv current doesn't handle negative numbers.  It turns into a big number like 1300 when battery is charging.  I don't know how to make torque handle signed numbers (except adding a second gauge -- the attached always shows positive numbers right, and the second gauge always shows negative numbers right).
  2. The inside temp flip flops between the actual temp, and an oven temp.
Screenshot 2013 07 22 11 40 44

• Sparky likes this

#47 OFFLINE   tlcj

tlcj

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNorthern Kentucky
  • Current Vehicle:2013 energi

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Thanks cmaxmd!  The post I got from the torque site said to multiply by 100 if the 5 digit of the RXF field was a 4.  I see you divided by 100.  Do you have a copy of your conversion formulas.  The one I got might be in error?

#48 OFFLINE   cmaxmd

cmaxmd

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energi

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

I used this post from another forum for my reference: http://www.tundratal...e-pro-pids.html

#49 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

The Inventor of the SGII (James Delong) and I were trouble shooting the first Scangauge to work on the first Ford Escape Hybrid I owned in 2005. As I began posting on Greenhybrid.com about the Scangauge, and answering questions, more and more people started buying it. While I made no profit in the sell of the SG, I enjoyed helping people hypermile their FEH with the use of the SG.

I talk to James Delong about getting the SG to read battery level, but he said the SG was designed to be a generic tool for most cars and not specific to one. In 2007, James Delong redesigned the SG and called it the SGII. By this time, the SGII was selling like hotcakes to hybrid owners and hypermilers. James decided to buy a booth location and hold classes at the 2007 Hybridfest in Madison WI. I was invited to drive a friend's FEH and compete in the Hybridfest MPG Challenge, so I flew up there and won !st Place in that class of hybrid.

I got to meet and spend some time with James Delong talking about the new X-Gauge programming. Another Engineer friend of mine was tring to call James, but for some reason, James was not interested in talking to him (CarlD). CarlD had sent me a PM on how to program the SGII X-Gauge to read battery level and show it to James Delong. When I showed James the PM, he sceen the value of CarlD work and agreed to work with him. I wanted those codes posted on the SG website so every FEH owner could program their SGII X-Gauges. James agreed and that's how all this began. 

After my purchase of the Energi, CarlD ask me if I wanted the X-Gauge programming for the C-Max. I posted some codes Carl gave me in the beginning of this thread. Carl has now ask if I want more programming codes for the C-Max just the other day again. Do any of you want more information?

Gary 

Gary - I recently submitted a request to Linear Logic on their website for SGII codes for the FFH. James DeLong responded with a list of XGauge codes for the first gen FFH. Some work and some don't. I imagine that the FFH and C-Max Hybrid would use the same XGauge values and that the C-Max Energi would be the same for most XGauge codes as well. Can you please post any additional XGauge codes you have? Would it be possible for you to ask Carl about more XGauge codes for the FFH?

I responded back to James last night with a list of the codes that work and the ones that don't. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Speaking of HVB temps, I've never seen the temp in our FFH go above 105 (this was on a day that was 95o outside and after the car had sat in the sun after being driven). On cooler days the FFH HVB very quickly warms up to about 85-90oF and then stabilizes there. The fans will come on sometimes as low as at 80oF depending on outside temps and how quickly the HVB is heating up. Above 90o the HVB fans run non-stop on the FFH.

#50 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Gary - I recently submitted a request to Linear Logic on their website for SGII codes for the FFH. James DeLong responded with a list of XGauge codes for the first gen FFH. Some work and some don't. I imagine that the FFH and C-Max Hybrid would use the same XGauge values and that the C-Max Energi would be the same for most XGauge codes as well. Can you please post any additional XGauge codes you have? Would it be possible for you to ask Carl about more XGauge codes for the FFH?

I responded back to James last night with a list of the codes that work and the ones that don't. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Speaking of HVB temps, I've never seen the temp in our FFH go above 105 (this was on a day that was 95o outside and after the car had sat in the sun after being driven). On cooler days the FFH HVB very quickly warms up to about 85-90oF and then stabilizes there. The fans will come on sometimes as low as at 80oF depending on outside temps and how quickly the HVB is heating up. Above 90o the HVB fans run non-stop on the FFH.

All the X-gauge programming James has, came from Carl. James was giving out old codes that Carl posted that didn't work on the newer FFH and C-Max. In fact, some of the list of codes I posted here don't work either. The problem Carl has now, is Ford knew Carl was getting information from the Helms Workshop manuals to figure out the X-gauge programming, so Ford stopped printing that information in the newer manuals. Carl did get some newer information, but here is my last communication with Carl regarding this subject:

"Glad the xgauges work for the C-Max. I just dropped a couple large on a VCM-2 and a 1 year IDS license so I can update all of the modules in my FEH  and Mmh . I will try to see if I can get anything more for the C-Max using the IDS software."

I'll ask again, but don't hold your breath.

Gary

#51 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

All the X-gauge programming James has, came from Carl. James was giving out old codes that Carl posted that didn't work on the newer FFH and C-Max. In fact, some of the list of codes I posted here don't work either. The problem Carl has now, is Ford knew Carl was getting information from the Helms Workshop manuals to figure out the X-gauge programming, so Ford stopped printing that information in the newer manuals. Carl did get some newer information, but here is my last communication with Carl regarding this subject:

"Glad the xgauges work for the C-Max. I just dropped a couple large on a VCM-2 and a 1 year IDS license so I can update all of the modules in my FEH  and Mmh . I will try to see if I can get anything more for the C-Max using the IDS software."

I'll ask again, but don't hold your breath.

Gary

So why does Ford have an issue with this? Toyota sure doesn't seem to have an issue with people knowing the XGauge codes to get more data about their hybrids.

What information is needed for Carl to figure this out?

#52 OFFLINE   DistortedEnergi

DistortedEnergi

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, San Fernando & Santa Clarita
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

I used the info in Gary's original post to create a bunch of torque pro pid+equations.  The ones in the following screen shots work to some part, except:

1. hv current doesn't handle negative numbers.  It turns into a big number like 1300 when battery is charging.  I don't know how to make torque handle signed numbers (except adding a second gauge -- the attached always shows positive numbers right, and the second gauge always shows negative numbers right).
  2. The inside temp flip flops between the actual temp, and an oven temp.

I just purchased a ScanTool OBDLink MX (bluetooth) for my C-MAX and will use with TorquePro on my phone or tablet. 

I plugged in a bunch of custom PIDs I found on the cmaxhybridforum ELM-327 thread.  There was one for battery charging (HV AMPs) that seems to work properly in my test drives last night.  At least it displays negative numbers when the car's dash says the battery is draining, and positive numbers when the dash says it's charging.  Whether the actual values are displayed or not ar accurate, I am clueless.  Anyways, here's the formula I'm using from that thread, perhaps it will work the way you expect:

HV Battery current in Amps     HV Amps             22480b      -200           200       x1          Amps     ((((Signed(A)*256)+B)/5)/10)*-1

I'm curious, for your "battery age" PID, what is the unit of measure?  Can't tell from your post.  Never mind, found it in Gary's original post.

Any updates to other useful TorquePro PIDs you've learned since that post?

Thanks.

I'm brand new to this OBD2 monitoring, but it's geek heaven kind of stuff.

Edited by DistortedEnergi, 03 October 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

So why does Ford have an issue with this? Toyota sure doesn't seem to have an issue with people knowing the XGauge codes to get more data about their hybrids.

What information is needed for Carl to figure this out?

Carl used information found in the '05 PCM/ED manual for the '05 - '08 FEH SGII  X-gauges somehow. Ford removed that information in the '09 FEH PCM/ED manual and started changing programming in mid '08 models. I think Carl had a friend that had access to an IDS and was able to get some SGII programming for the '10 FFH. I quoted Carl in my last post, so you know as much as I do.

Ford sells the Nav/Hybrid gauges for big bucks, so buying a SGII and programming it for $130 cuts into their market. Ford can't do anything about the standard required OBDII information, but the government does not require Ford to give out any more information. If Toyota gives out their information on programming, power to them. I think Carl was a engineering professor at a big college, so he can figure this stuff out with what Ford was printing in the PCM/ED manuals a few years back.

Gary 

#54 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Ford sells the Nav/Hybrid gauges for big bucks, so buying a SGII and programming it for $130 cuts into their market. Ford can't do anything about the standard required OBDII information, but the government does not require Ford to give out any more information. If Toyota gives out their information on programming, power to them.

What gauges does Ford sell? Are you talking just about tools that dealers must buy to work on the cars or about items sold to consumers? Considering how I've found Ford to be much more open than other automakers in other aspects (such as how much visibility there is into the build/order process with all their window stickers being available online as well as sites like Etis and their press releases seeming to divulge more that some other automakers) it surprises me that in this aspect they would show an Apple-like secrecy.

#55 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Energi Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

What gauges does Ford sell? Are you talking just about tools that dealers must buy to work on the cars or about items sold to consumers? Considering how I've found Ford to be much more open than other automakers in other aspects (such as how much visibility there is into the build/order process with all their window stickers being available online as well as sites like Etis and their press releases seeming to divulge more that some other automakers) it surprises me that in this aspect they would show an Apple-like secrecy.

The gauges come standard pretty much now, but I spent over two thousand dollars extra each for my '05 and '09 FEH to get Ford's cheap ass hybrid HV battery SOC and hybrid mode screens. You had to purchase the Nav system as part of that system also. With SGII X-gauge programming, you can program to read and change systems in Ford vehicles that Ford does not want you to know about. For instance, Carl was telling me how to shutdown systems with the SGII that would help me increase MPG during competitions. I wasn't interested in cheating, so I just let it go. Even Ford thought I developed a way to plug-in my '05 FEH to increase my MPG at the MPG Challenge at Hybridfest in 2007. I didn't even use my FEH in that competition. My local hybrid tech told me that he was ask to take pictures of my '05 engine compartment and e-mail them to Ford Engineers so they could look for evidents that I was plugging-in my FEH. I told my tech to knock himself out and take all the pictures Ford wanted him to take of my '05 FEH. You think Ford is more open than other automakers? Guess again!

It turned out, I had 3 bad relays in my '05 FEH and my HV battery was showing on their computer that it needed to be replaced. It cost me over $1200 for Ford Engineers to have my tech spend days working on my '05 FEH to find out I just needed 3 $12.00 relays replaced. Ford even wanted my tech to send the bad relays to their Engineers to investigate the problem. My tech told me they were my bad relays and he didn't have to send them to Ford. I took one relay and told him to send the rest to the Ford Engineers. I took pictures back then and posted them on cleanmpg.com. Here is one of the photos:  http://www.cleanmpg....t/500/ppuser/36

Gary

#56 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 392 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

Thank you Gary for posting the Scan Gauge X-Gauge commands for the Energi.  I was able to use them with my device.  They all work correctly, except for Motor Electronics Coolant temperature doesn't display anything and Transmission temperature is always 59.9 F.   The results are posted here:  http://www.fordfusio...i-data-for-hvb/

Edited by larryh, 21 January 2014 - 03:05 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   jaydrama

jaydrama

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMorgantown, WV
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Has anyone discovered or figured the code for the Torque to report oil life? Is that even reportable?

#58 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • Pip
  • 392 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

There is a PID to report oil life.   I have used it in another program.  But I don't know the PID or equation for Torque.  Just look at the car's display if you want to see the remaining oil life. 

#59 OFFLINE   timwil56

timwil56

Energi Member

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX:2017
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

I have an Ultra-Gauge scanner and I'm wondering how it will work on my Energi. I'm going for a drive tomorrow and plan to hook it up to see. For those in the market for an OBD II scanner, this one is very affordable and gives all the information I need.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

#60 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

Techo Geek

• C-MAX Energi Member
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

There is a PID to report oil life.   I have used it in another program.  But I don't know the PID or equation for Torque.  Just look at the car's display if you want to see the remaining oil life. 

Ford crippled the C-Max a bit compared to the Fusion, I don't think it's there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·